Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/24/2021 9:46 am  #1

Head Scratcher

Lord knows that DU could use players known for playmaking, smarts, & leadership. I also see the value in a 6'5" defensive-minded floor general. I just don't understand why when the team already has 2 very promising point guards & another ballhandler in Acuff but only 1 definitely productive big for next season around you would add both Pratt & Rozier.

I know more players will go. I know that portal shopping is almost guaranteed. It just seems that being 1 of 4 lead guards on a team encourages defections.

What do you all think?

11/24/2021 10:01 am  #2

Re: Head Scratcher

It does appear puzzling but it is a long, long way until March and April when we see what the portal takes away (and brings).  Yes, we could end up with a plethora of guards but in the meantime we have to take quality players who want to be here.  I sure don’t know who will stay and go but I will trust the brain trust and see.  We have offered Carson Cooper who is 6’9” and I suspect more offers will come.  Thus thinketh I.

11/24/2021 10:30 am  #3

Phil, I understand your position, and certainly agree that Duquesne needs more players that understand how to play winning basketball.  Hopefully the two new recruits that have those qualities. I saw some of the St Mary's vs. Oregon game last night won  by St Mary's by 12.  They overcame obvious challenges in terms of size strength and "star" ratings by sticking to their team concept, sharing the ball, defending doggedly, and taking shots within their offense.  I just think the blueprint is out there to win without getting the guys with "star" ratings.   

As as an outsider, like most everyone on this Board, I don't feel we have enough information to make judgements on roster construction.  First, we only see highlight clips of the recruits which can be deceiving; then we have no idea of the inner workings of the team such as current player attitudes, thoughts and plans of the coaches in regard to present roster, transfer possibilities, etc.  There are just too many unknowns to formulate an opinion on the pros or cons of signing a particular player.   

11/24/2021 10:47 am  #4

I agree with most of what you guys say, but as a famous Coach once said......"you can't teach height"...and we already have a very, very promising 5'10"/11" PG in JJ and Rozier may not be as tall as KD.  Yes you need skill, leadership etc. at the PG position, but you mean to tell me we can't get anyone there that is at least 6'0"?????  Height and length make a big difference when defending, just look at the steals Ayers is able to get due to this length........just sayin...Pistol Out. 

11/24/2021 1:29 pm  #5

I checked verbal committs.
It shows Carson Cooper as a PF--the only
big so far. Cooper is 6' 10"

11/24/2021 4:27 pm  #6

Only 6 games in for two of these fellas so I'm expecting numbers to get better. 
Spears  15A  13 TO
Johnson  6A  13 TO
Acuff         7A   4 TO
Could these early stats have been part of the reasoning for grabbing an available point guard?

11/24/2021 4:44 pm  #7

WashPaRick wrote:

Only 6 games in for two of these fellas so I'm expecting numbers to get better. 
Spears  15A  13 TO
Johnson  6A  13 TO
Acuff         7A   4 TO
Could these early stats have been part of the reasoning for grabbing an available point guard?

It might just require that the point guards carefully consider the abilities of their intended receivers to catch. I'm thinking specifically of one of Spears' passes that was technically excellent, but he got tagged with a turnover when it bounced out of bounds.

11/27/2021 6:00 pm  #8

Apple, when TJ McConnell was still at Duquesne, near the end of his last season here, I took someone to the game who is an excellent judge of basketball talent.  After watching TJ for a half he told me that his passes are too good for the folks he is playing with...that he could see things others couldn't and he thought he was getting frustrated with the talent of his teammates.  Let's hope this is not a repeat.

Board footera