Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2021 2:51 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

Since I am at the home games, I haven't listened on the radio.  When I turned it on to leave, the Steeler Game is on.  I thought it was on 970 AM?  If the Steeler Game is on, then what station can you listen?
Thanks

11/29/2021 3:12 pm  #27

Agree in regard to practice time. Especially, mixing ALL this young talent.Offense NOT defense. But can you imagine throwing in a 1-3-1 pick up at half court with Okani  at point with his reach & athletic ability. I remember Ron had Damian Saunders at point. Primo or Jackie would be a perfect fit at baseline. This would generate turnovers based upon the Dukes length. Unfortunately, we are not in practice as is the coaching staff. Is coach Dambrot stubborn or as I suspect he just knows his players limitations? Probably the second. Go Dukes

11/29/2021 3:17 pm  #28

Oh yeah one final point. Kudos to the fans who sang the National Anthem when Duquesne screwed up the playing of the Anthem. Total silence. God Bless America.

11/29/2021 3:53 pm  #29

FAM wrote:

Since I am at the home games, I haven't listened on the radio.  When I turned it on to leave, the Steeler Game is on.  I thought it was on 970 AM?  If the Steeler Game is on, then what station can you listen?
Thanks

104.7 HD  So in newer cars the radios have 2 options for a station.  If you tune to 104.7 and then select the HD option you will get the game.  It took me a minute to figure out - prior to that i had no idea what an HD channel was.  and I've never listened to the game this way; I've only caught the postgame after leaving the Coop

11/29/2021 6:23 pm  #30

Ironduke81 wrote:

Oh yeah one final point. Kudos to the fans who sang the National Anthem when Duquesne screwed up the playing of the Anthem. Total silence. God Bless America.

It was just silence for a long time, then one of our coach's started and the team and fans followed. It was kind of great.  Why doesn't the program have a guest singer each game. You would think a University with a music school could arrange one each game.

11/29/2021 9:58 pm  #31

Even when Gunn returns we are still small in the front court so why didn't we go after a 6'9" or 10" guy.........just sayin.  The size of several teams in the A-10 will give us problems.  

11/30/2021 9:53 am  #32

NapaDuke wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

It was just silence for a long time, then one of our coach's started and the team and fans followed. It was kind of great.  Why doesn't the program have a guest singer each game. You would think a University with a music school could arrange one each game.

That was a very nice moment.

Nevertheless, the game day operations remain crappy. The people in place do not know what they are doing.

Last edited by phil95 (11/30/2021 9:54 am)

11/30/2021 10:06 am  #33

PistolPete wrote:

Even when Gunn returns we are still small in the front court so why didn't we go after a 6'9" or 10" guy.........just sayin.  The size of several teams in the A-10 will give us problems.  

Correct. Gunn doesn't solve any size problems. He could solve a minutes/depth problem & that would be a step forward.

I am concerned that Gunn will only be fully up to speed for 15-18 games & not make much of a contribution as a result.

As the Dukes would have to make some kind of miracle run to get an at large or win the A-10 tournament to go dancing, I would like to see Hima play for 5-6 5-minute stretches during the non-con schedule to figure out if he has any long term potential. Having him go through a second year in the program with no meaningful playing time would be silly.

11/30/2021 10:29 am  #34

There is nothing in KD's track record here that would suggest Hima gets more than 1-2 minutes in mop up time, unless the whole frontcourt fouls out.   He will leave after this year.   I thought he looked decent on defense in the opener.   And like that, POOF, he's gone! 
SOS(same old s**t)
Go Dukes!

11/30/2021 10:56 am  #35

It's difficult to hang on to players when they get no PT. If Hima belongs in the program, he needs to get some minutes or I suspect that he will exit the program. I would't want to sacrifice a win just to get him some floor time though. Hopefully there will be opportunities when the game isn't on the line where Hima can get a few minutes here and there. Will Hima be another failed big? I truly hope not but he is somewhat of a long shot in my mind but well worth the risk to bring on board. I do hope that KD and staff realize that these young players need some positive reinforcement and need to be given opportunities in games. No one will sit on the bench for 2 or 3 years and watch others play. Think Hima is still somewhat of a question mark and wondering how the coaches would evaluate him at this point in time. We hear that every player develops at a different pace but there does need to be some development here with Hima. Time will tell!

11/30/2021 10:17 pm  #36

What I liked in this one:

-Everyone continuing to assert in the post/paint area. Seeing more from guys like Acuff, Okani, Easley, Ayers, and Williams. Driving creates easy looks, foul shots, and open looks on kick outs. Like the Steelers, we can’t be one dimensional and effective.

-The balance and ability to get double digit point outputs from 3-5 guys on a given night (a staple of DU Dambrit teams). There is definitely scoring up and down the roster.

-Acuff and Okani looking better improving and finding that glue guy role, effective on both sides of the ball.

-58% fg, 40% 3 pt

-team defense continuing to improve.

-Shortening the bench. Bekelja and the other guy are a liability.

-Actually running offensive sets and integrating some zone defense as an adjustment to change up looks!!!! Welcome to organized basketball!

Last edited by Duques102 (11/30/2021 10:42 pm)

11/30/2021 10:25 pm  #37

Didn’t like:

-Giving JJ 9 minutes despite not the best performance again. This kid is the most talented player on the roster, and will adjust to the college game. Don’t want to lose him mentally in the meantime. That said he needs to play more within the offense a.k.a. Not having the ball getting stuck in his hands and not just looking for his shot every time he touches the ball.

-JJ defense. Only one not improving, and it has been rough against every opponent. Has to be why he was stuck on the bench.

-Not giving Hima minutes at the end when it’s out of hand. Why the hell not? He’s not going to cost you the game and give Williams a breather. Don’t get that.

-Perimeter defense still awful.

-Williams played well today. Only thing I would criticize is it shows when he doesn’t play like he did today. Need to make sure he is playing with a more consistent motor. We need him to be impactful every night with the current utilization of the bigs.

-Who is our alpha dog? Who is our undisputed leader? That needs to be figured out as the same is happening with the overall team identity. Yes, there is talent and scorers throughout the top 5, but have we seen that from Ayers, Easley, or Williams who to me would be the most likely candidates? No, haven’t seen that enough yet from anyone. Mike and Marcus were those dudes. You need those guys that can take a game by the scruff of the neck and take over when you need it. We have a lot of guys who could be one of the few, need someone to step up and assert themselves there for long term success this season.

Last edited by Duques102 (11/30/2021 10:32 pm)

12/01/2021 7:26 am  #38

Styles1229 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Thanks

104.7 HD  So in newer cars the radios have 2 options for a station.  If you tune to 104.7 and then select the HD option you will get the game.  It took me a minute to figure out - prior to that i had no idea what an HD channel was.  and I've never listened to the game this way; I've only caught the postgame after leaving the Coop

Also 970 on IHeart Radio carries the Dukes except that they left the KD interview early for whatever was left of the Steelers broadcast. 

12/01/2021 10:46 am  #39

Towson and Phil I am with you 100% on Hima, he needs to get some minutes to see what we have.  2 years riding the pine is not going to get him or us anywhere.

Board footera