Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2021 10:24 pm  #1

League is topsy turvy

We beat a SEC, ranked Big ten team and an ACC team tonight. George Mason apparently mode a nice hire!!!

11/18/2021 6:59 am  #2

Re: League is topsy turvy

Dayton lost to LIpscomb at home 78-59

11/18/2021 7:53 am  #3

Dayton has a very young roster. I think they have 2 sophs. 1 jr. 1 sr. and a lot of freshmen.

11/18/2021 9:00 am  #4

I was able to watch a good bit of the Mason victory at Maryland last night and came away very impressed with their team.  Apparently Kim English was the right guy for the job.  He brought in some very impressive transfers from good programs and they are playing as if they have been together for years.  It was their first ever victory over Maryland, and it wasn't a fluke.  After initially falling behind they kept their poise and gradually took control of the game and kept control despite a few long-range Terps 3's by Ayala.  They will be a formidable opponent for every team in the A-10. 

Interestingly, Maryland's next opponent is Richmond; who is rated much higher than Mason in  pre-season ranking.  I'm sure Maryland will be better prepared after this shocking upset at the hands of GMU.  

It looks like Dayton has faired much worse that Duquesne in the early going with the losses at home to UMass-Lowell and Lipscomb by a substantial margin.  I noticed St. Louis took  a 16-point loss to Memphis earlier this week. So mixed results so far for the A-10 in the OOC. 

11/18/2021 9:07 am  #5

What you are seeing is the ability of some teams to integrate transfers faster than others. Mason’s addition of D’Shawn Schwartz from Colorado and Davonte Gaines from Tennessee has been huge. I also think that former professional players that are coaches bring a different mind set.

Last edited by The Dome (11/18/2021 9:07 am)

11/19/2021 12:44 pm  #6

The Dome wrote:

What you are seeing is the ability of some teams to integrate transfers faster than others. Mason’s addition of D’Shawn Schwartz from Colorado and Davonte Gaines from Tennessee has been huge. I also think that former professional players that are coaches bring a different mind set.

True, though Kim English has an advantage in that he coached Schwartz at Colorado and Gaines at Tennessee as an assistant. So he knows those kids well, what he's got in them, how to maximize their strengths. Schwartz was a 3-year starter at a Pac12 school, that's a bit more impressive than any of our transfers. Their other transfer, DeVon Cooper from Morehead State, is, like Schwartz, a 5th-year senior. The only 5th-year seniors on Duquesne's roster are D2 transfers. And three of their top 6 players are holdovers from last year's team, including Oduro, who's a beast inside. We're relying on two true freshmen to play key minutes, their true freshmen are deep subs. So more familiarity but also more experience and, frankly, talent on their roster than ours. 

11/19/2021 2:51 pm  #7

Dennis, You’re knowledge is appreciated. What then happens is I now wonder about Dambrots comment that this is his best team ever.  I don’t know how we will be doing in this tournament, but we better win a game or two.  If not…

11/19/2021 5:36 pm  #8

Weber state beat UMASS by 13 last night too.

11/26/2021 5:24 pm  #9

Dayton upset #4 Kansas today, 74-73.

11/27/2021 12:00 am  #10

How do these people rank teams. Dayton lost to 197 Liipscomb, 284 Austin Peay and 234 UMAss Lowel but beat #4 Kansas.

11/27/2021 4:35 pm  #11

Bonnies lose to Northern Iowa

11/27/2021 5:47 pm  #12

Northern Iowa - 2-3

Someone was reading too many press clippings.

11/30/2021 10:35 pm  #13

Jamari Wheeler starting PG as a super senior for Ohio state against Duke tonight. That last Ferry class was loaded, and he was an absolutely limited basketball coach who was out of his league here and needed to go. Both things can be true.

Board footera