Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2021 5:22 pm  #1

Game Thread - DePaul Blue Demons

8:30pm EST tip on Tuesday 12/07/2021 at the Wintrust Arena in Chicago, IL
Per KenPom:
Dukes #205 (3-6) vs DePaul Blue Demons #107 (6-1)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 10, 76-66 - Dukes with 18% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 8 point underdogs; Over/Under 143
Duquesne 4-5 Against the Spread: DePaul 6-1 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Bradley (185); Rider (288)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Bowling Green (170); Northeastern (157)
DePaul Best Win(s): Rutgers (100); Western Illinois (161)
DePaul Worst Loss(es): Loyola Chicago (28)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at DePaul for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Turnover % (45); Offensive Rebound % (49); Effective FG % (54); FT Rate (85)
Offensive Weakness: None
Defensive Strength: FT Rate (36); Effective FG % (94); Offensive Rebound % (99)
Defensive Weakness: None

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Turnover % (84); Offensive Rebound % (89)
Offensive Weakness: Effective FG % (259)
Defensive Strength: FT Rate (77)
Defensive Weakness: Effective FG % (262)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
DePaul Adj Offense Efficiency - 104.3; 110 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 102.6; 205 in D-1
DePaul Adj Defense Efficiency - 98.0; 100 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 99.4; 216 in D-1
DePaul Adj Tempo - 72.1; 33 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 66.9; 261 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - DePaul 2.30 yrs; 73 in D-1; Dukes 0.78 yrs; 351 in D-1
Average Height - DePaul 78.6"; 14 in D-1; Dukes 77.2"; 138 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 237th in the country.
DePaul is 58th in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=633&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

12/07/2021 12:44 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - DePaul Blue Demons

Anyone aware - Is this a series game & we get a return game with DePaul at the Coop next year?

12/07/2021 8:02 am  #3

BTW this game is the second half of a FS1 Big East doubleheader. Channel 857 on Xfinity.

12/07/2021 9:05 am  #4

I guess FS1 constitutes a national TV game. Can’t remember last time the Dukes had this type of exposure. Yes cbs sports & Nbc sports but this game will be televised west mountain central mid Atlantic south & east. Time to show up. Show some pride. Go Duquesne. 

12/07/2021 9:25 am  #5

12/07/2021 9:43 pm  #6

Kids are playing hard.

12/07/2021 10:08 pm  #7

With 4:05 left the score is 80-56,  A friend of mine called me and said that Duquesne can't talk about scheduling cupcakes.  He said that Duquesne University basketball is NOW the CUPCAKE that other teams schedule to pad THEIR record.  I had no response.

12/07/2021 10:51 pm  #8

FAM wrote:

With 4:05 left the score is 80-56,  A friend of mine called me and said that Duquesne can't talk about scheduling cupcakes.  He said that Duquesne University basketball is NOW the CUPCAKE that other teams schedule to pad THEIR record.  I had no response.

Sent my emails to those in charge. This is WAY TOO pathetic for even the most patient KD lovers. Total embarrassment. Chuck Cooper would not approve.

12/07/2021 11:20 pm  #9

We were clearly over matched. That's all I have to say other than we hung with them for over a half.
We are starting 1 junior, 2 sophs, and 2 freshman. KD chose to begin again and this is the result of that decision to date.

12/07/2021 11:58 pm  #10

No disprespect El Presidente, but Ayers, Easley, and Wiliams have all played two or three full years. Only sophs because of Covid. Every team in America is young in that regard. If you thing this coaching staff needs more time to develop these guys that's fine, but if not write your letters to the the AD, assistant AD, and president like FAM suggested in an earlier post. I did earlier and expressed my thoughts to them. I for one think this is a total joke of a coaching staff. If anyone disagrees please tell me. If Dambrot was let go how many D-1 programs would hire him at this point. I say ZERO.

12/08/2021 8:17 am  #11

WashPaRick wrote:

Kids are playing hard.

Kiss of death. Went from playing hard to hardly playing.

12/08/2021 8:58 am  #12

Rayrich wrote:

No disprespect El Presidente, but Ayers, Easley, and Wiliams have all played two or three full years. Only sophs because of Covid. Every team in America is young in that regard. If you thing this coaching staff needs more time to develop these guys that's fine, but if not write your letters to the the AD, assistant AD, and president like FAM suggested in an earlier post. I did earlier and expressed my thoughts to them. I for one think this is a total joke of a coaching staff. If anyone disagrees please tell me. If Dambrot was let go how many D-1 programs would hire him at this point. I say ZERO.

Maybe when you & FAM write your emails to the AD don’t forget to enclose a check for one million dollars. Maybe both of you can buy out Dambrots contract. If not which I’m just guessing I really don’t think the Ad or President cares what anyone on this board believes about the current state of the program. Money talks whiners walk. 

12/08/2021 9:10 am  #13

I'm at a loss.   I have no idea what they should do.   Cant believe its Dec 8 and I have no interest in watching this team play.   And  with the exception of DePaul, we havent even started playing the good teams yet.   :-(

12/08/2021 9:12 am  #14

IronDuke,
I’ll say it again, since your love of DU bball n Dambrot is a strong impetus for your remarks.  Dambrot isn’t going anywhere… he has two years left and will be given the opportunity to change his record around. Everyone wants him to be successful. Folks are upset and rightly so.  There are no more DU excuses. He got the salary he wanted, the recruiting freedom he wanted, the Fieldhouse he wanted, and more.  These are his players he recruited the last few years. He has NOT produced thus far. I hope he does and want him to. But for heavens sake, look at his record so far this year… one in which he said that this is his best team ever. What worries me more is the two players he recruited for next year…two kids not recruited by any strong teams in the USA.
With all of that said, I want Dambrot to succeed and hope we don’t lose another game this year. I, like you, love DU bball. Though I don’t have a million dollars I do have season tickets and also contribute. I am also tired of DU losing.
BTW, I can tell you that they do care about the state of the program… do you think Ferry got fired before his contract was up  because he was successful?  Plus, with the salaries and new Fieldhouse the University has more money invested in bball than ever before.

12/08/2021 10:18 am  #15

Rayrich wrote:

I do understand your frustration and that of most on this board. Most of our inexperience is situated at the PG. Acuff is a second year freshman who gained little experience last year in a short season. The other 2, Spears and Johnson when he plays, are true freshmen. If that position is the most important one on a team, then we are extremely young there. Couple that with the lack of a suitable big, 6-9 and up, which rests squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff, and you have what we have. 
Depaul looked pretty good with a couple of potential NBA prospects and shot lights out in the second half even when we were in their face. I'll continue to follow this program and look for continued improvement. One thing that I will not be party to is joining a concerted effort to get people fired. That I am just unable to do. Harper and Gormley and others are also watching the team and I will trust their judgement as to the future of KD and staff. Now, that's really all I have to say. Everyone take care and have a great holiday!

12/08/2021 10:33 am  #16

FAM wrote:

BTW, I can tell you that they do care about the state of the program….

I’m not here to beat a dead horse or cause arguments but who cares in the “they” you refer to above  Gormley and Harper?    They are getting paid.  They don’t care. 

If people cared, we wouldn’t not be in this position year after year after year.

12/08/2021 10:34 am  #17

FAM wrote:

IronDuke,
I’ll say it again, since your love of DU bball n Dambrot is a strong impetus for your remarks.  Dambrot isn’t going anywhere… he has two years left and will be given the opportunity to change his record around. Everyone wants him to be successful. Folks are upset and rightly so.  There are no more DU excuses. He got the salary he wanted, the recruiting freedom he wanted, the Fieldhouse he wanted, and more.  These are his players he recruited the last few years. He has NOT produced thus far. I hope he does and want him to. But for heavens sake, look at his record so far this year… one in which he said that this is his best team ever. What worries me more is the two players he recruited for next year…two kids not recruited by any strong teams in the USA.
With all of that said, I want Dambrot to succeed and hope we don’t lose another game this year. I, like you, love DU bball. Though I don’t have a million dollars I do have season tickets and also contribute. I am also tired of DU losing.
BTW, I can tell you that they do care about the state of the program… do you think Ferry got fired before his contract was up  because he was successful?  Plus, with the salaries and new Fieldhouse the University has more money invested in bball than ever before.

Again write a check. Two alumni at Indiana stroked two checks to buy out Archie Miller. Duquesne thanks to Covid can’t afford a buyout.

12/08/2021 10:38 am  #18

FAM wrote:

That same thought crossed my mind watching the game.

Doyle Brunson said, "After 1/2 hour at the poker table if you can't figure out who the sucker is - you're it."

12/08/2021 11:17 am  #19

I am finished for rest of season.Nothing ever changes on the Bluff,the program is in major rebuild and
I am tired of bad basketball

12/08/2021 11:31 am  #20

Nothing wrong with making your displeasure known to the AD and Co., but realistically, Dambrot isn't going anywhere. He'll have at least one more year to point the program in the right direction and what success he does have may be more about ensuring that his successor comes from his staff rather than getting him an extension.

BTW, DePaul was the consensus last-place pick in the Big East by ESPN, CBS Sports and SI. They're a perennial doormat in a conference that's been pretty top-heavy in recent years. This is a rebuilding year for them under a first-year head coach. So let's not pretend we went up against a really good team that's loaded with NBA prospects. I certainly didn't expect a win last night, because well, we simply don't have a very good team this year. But I expected us to compete for more than a half. A quality A10 team should be able to compete against a second-division Big East team anywhere, anytime. Instead we fared as well there as some MAC also-rans did, so what does that tell you? I'd like to think there are some quality pieces on this team that will work better together over time, but last night was a reminder that little progress is being made on that front by this coaching staff. 

12/08/2021 12:35 pm  #21

This defeat clinches a losing non-conference slate; first time since 2014-15.

12/08/2021 12:55 pm  #22

Who was coaching in 2014-15?  

Do any of you want the next coach coming from this current staff?   You cant be serious if you even entertain that thought for more than a second.  

Scary part is, where would the next coach even come from?   D2?   NAIA?   High school?   Or some loser from a mid major looking for a paycheck?    

Last edited by townsonkid (12/08/2021 1:13 pm)

12/08/2021 1:02 pm  #23

That was Depaul's 8th straight home game, losing only to A10 power Loyola. They sure looked comfortable shooting there, even using the rim support and top of the backboard to put in shots. Of course, they also went through us, by us, around us, and over us.

12/08/2021 1:12 pm  #24

Townson:  Ferry was the coach then.  Here are the records of the last 4 DU coaches.

Nee -2001-06 -                            41-103
Everhart - 2006-12-                     99-89
Ferry - 2012-17-                          60-97
Dambrot - 2017-12/8/21              68-54

12/08/2021 2:21 pm  #25

FAM wrote:

Townson:  Ferry was the coach then.  Here are the records of the last 4 DU coaches.

Nee -2001-06 -                            41-103     20-60 (.250)
Everhart - 2006-12-                     99-89     46-50 (.479)
Ferry - 2012-17-                          60-97     21-65 (.244)
Dambrot - 2017-12/8/21              68-54     35-33 (.515)

Added in the A10 conference record for even more perspective.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (12/08/2021 3:51 pm)

Board footera