Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/10/2021 10:56 am  #1

State of the Womens Program

Not much chatter here on the Women's Team this year, I guess it has gone pretty much downhill again with many injuries and lackluster results to this point in the season.  I'm just wondering about the big picture, which appears from a distance to be somewhat murky at best. It's only been a few years since this program was an NCAA at-large team and won a first round game over a Big East opponent.  The team was a big winner annually winning over 20-games routinely, and considered one of the top 2-4 programs in the A-10.  In just a few short years the team is barely a .500 team, expected to finish 9th in the A-10 and now getting beat annually by Kent State of the MAC!  I've seen some of the action online but haven't made a game in-person as yet; but still plan on doing so.  The team's performances seem to be very uneven, and are prone to long scoring lapses as we have seen in the last few years.  I'm just wondering if the trajectory will continue downward, or if there are tangible reasons why we should expect improvement in the near future?  

12/10/2021 1:45 pm  #2

Re: State of the Womens Program

I see signs of weakening but still not losing faith. 

One thing is apparent.  The pipeline of quality European players had dried up because all teams are doing this.   Just stating facts now. 

We are experiencing Murphy’s Law right now.   In the NCAA year and other successful seasons they were injury free of key players.   And any injuries were short term.  4 significant injuries to two starters and two key bench players has really hurt this team.  I think with a different bench they beat Pitt, Logwood, Temple and Kent State.  That would flip out record from 3-6 to 7-2. 

I am encouraged because this team always plays hard.  Offensive lapses or not.   You can not say that about the mens program.   And by watching women’s bb regularly the long offensive lapses seem to plague lots of teams. 

People tend to forget the small margin an A-10 team has to get an at large bid.   In the NCAA year one slip up loss to a weak opponent and they are out.   The year previous to that they were left out with a comparable team because of a late season loss. And Pitt women got in even though we thumped them.   The margin of error is so small for them.   

I have no clue what the A10 season will bring.  They can finish anywhere from middle to bottom.

The woman’s program has been successful with in spite  of  the lack of athletic department adeptness.  You can tell that Ryan Gavattotra left for UAB.   He was a quality SID.   The drop off has been quite noticeable.    The new guys mails in his effort just like Dave Saba does.

Last edited by A83 (12/10/2021 3:00 pm)

12/10/2021 3:13 pm  #3

A few points about the Ladies Team --  

The Mid-American Conference on the Ladies Side is probably slightly ABOVE the A-10 as a whole --  Kent State BEAT UCLA (who made the Sweet 16 last year) and Penn State (a Big 10 Program)  Megan had a 3 pointer which could have forced OT but unfortunately it Missed - game was on the road as well.

Pitt was kind of a "tough match up"  Last year they were THIRD in the country in Offensive Rebound % -  behind South Carolina and Baylor -  While this didn't transfer into too many wins -  It presented a problem - their players are bigger and stronger -  the ladies led by one after three quarters but came up short maybe a little due to fatigue.

Temple comes from a league where they have a bigger recruiting budget etc --- so on the average DU would be at a disadvantage --  the team just did not shoot well that day --

U Conn recently lost perhaps the best player in the Country (Paige Beuckers) (sp?) For a while -  They lost to Georgia Tech yesterday 59-44 -  Most teams can probably absorb ONE Hit --  DU has THREE who are probably going to miss the season (Bragg, Wasylon, Westphall) ONE more who has yet to suit up (Kalin) and one more who has returned but might not yet be 100% (Bovell)  While NOT comparing the individual talents --  Take FOUR POSSIBLE CONTRIBUTORS AWAY FROM ANY TEAM AND.....

Despite their flaws --  I'm behind them 100% -  Hopefully they have a good finish to their season

A-83 -- YOUR COMMENTS ARE SPOT ON!!! When DU made their only NCAA Appearance -  Kadri Ann. Julianna. Szmoza, and Kutor were Europeans -- at that time there were perhaps FIVE teams in the COUNTRY who recruited outside the US.  To date the team's best player has probably been Fatou Pouye - who came from Senegal - went to Western Kentucky and is now at the Bluff. Just about EVERY team has some Europeans/Africans/Austrailians these days.

12/10/2021 4:30 pm  #4

I appreciate both responses and understand the difficult circumstances created by multiple injuries to contributors.  
After reading the comments with interest, the question is; "does the competition for foreign players mean that Duquesne will be unable to return to being a winning program with a chance to finish in the top 4 in the 
A-10?"  Is there another recruiting strategy that can make the team more competitive within their peer group.    

12/10/2021 4:54 pm  #5

The womens game has changed along with the mens.  Burt used the transfer portal with great success.   Lauren could have matched Fatou if available.    You have to adapt.   I think he will.   And keeps mining for Euros.

Megan and Tess if they stay (I am confident of one of them staying.  The other family well we have seen that before.) can match Libby and Amanda for production.   Just keep fill in the pieces.

Last edited by A83 (12/10/2021 4:58 pm)

12/10/2021 7:09 pm  #6

One more point.   The recruits we are getting we are battling other A10 schools for.  That’s a good sign.  As opposed to the men who are battle bf for recruits offered by the NEC.

12/11/2021 9:23 am  #7

levon1975 wrote:

Not much chatter here on the Women's Team this year, I guess it has gone pretty much downhill again with many injuries and lackluster results to this point in the season.  I'm just wondering about the big picture, which appears from a distance to be somewhat murky at best. It's only been a few years since this program was an NCAA at-large team and won a first round game over a Big East opponent.  The team was a big winner annually winning over 20-games routinely, and considered one of the top 2-4 programs in the A-10.  In just a few short years the team is barely a .500 team, expected to finish 9th in the A-10 and now getting beat annually by Kent State of the MAC!  I've seen some of the action online but haven't made a game in-person as yet; but still plan on doing so.  The team's performances seem to be very uneven, and are prone to long scoring lapses as we have seen in the last few years.  I'm just wondering if the trajectory will continue downward, or if there are tangible reasons why we should expect improvement in the near future?  

Levon:

Two Years Ago before COVID canceled the Post Season the Women's Team Finished 20-10 - Fourth in the A-10 - Would that have been good enough for the WNIT??  At the time I thought No because  I presumed they needed to make the Semi-Finals of the league tourney - they were eliminated in the quarter finals -  The School Web Page said "Projected WNIT"   

Winning 20 games and 2/3 of the games is a positive season for me.

Going forward who knows what the future brings -  There IS a significant amount of talent/playing time departing due to graduations -- Hopefully Dan and the staff can come up with enough talent to replace them.

Board footera