Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2021 9:31 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - New Hampshire Wildcats

Post Game

12/12/2021 7:50 am  #27

Ironduke81 wrote:

FAM wrote:

I guess Ellis was using his undergraduate n law degree both from Pitt.

I don’t understand the Ellis Cannon hate on this board. He reminds me of Dennis Miller on Monday night football. His IQ is over 60 unlike the majority of the current status of Play by play individuals. At least he can speak in an articulate manner. Have you watched espn or fox sports announcers.

Oh yes, everyone is clamoring to bring back Dennis Miller to MNF.

12/12/2021 9:16 am  #28

A83 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

FAM wrote:

I guess Ellis was using his undergraduate n law degree both from Pitt.

I don’t understand the Ellis Cannon hate on this board. He reminds me of Dennis Miller on Monday night football. His IQ is over 60 unlike the majority of the current status of Play by play individuals. At least he can speak in an articulate manner. Have you watched espn or fox sports announcers.

A83 on second thought you are right. Maybe the Cannon Benz haters should email espn, A10 commissioner, Du AD, President, janitors, teachers etc to make a change. In fact Booger McFarland was hilarious if not legendary as the news anchor on SNL. Yes I know Cannon is also an attorney who went to Pitt (bad guy) after all  he & Benz should openly lose any objectivity in announcing the game. Let’s hire the Duquesne cheerleader coach. Me personally I enjoy Ellis whit & humor.Yes he may go deep but nothing worse then homer announcers which are the majority of A10 games on espn plus.

12/12/2021 10:08 am  #29

Ironduke81 wrote:

A83 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

A83 on second thought you are right. Maybe the Cannon Benz haters should email espn, A10 commissioner, Du AD, President, janitors, teachers etc to make a change. In fact Booger McFarland was hilarious if not legendary as the news anchor on SNL. Yes I know Cannon is also an attorney who went to Pitt (bad guy) after all  he & Benz should openly lose any objectivity in announcing the game. Let’s hire the Duquesne cheerleader coach. Me personally I enjoy Ellis whit & humor.Yes he may go deep but nothing worse then homer announcers which are the majority of A10 games on espn plus.

I don’t know why I am engaging this foolishness but I am.

First, I never said to email anyone.   I don’t think they listen.  Not because they are smart but because they think they are smarter than the room.   

Miler was a universal failure because people don’t want bad comics on MNF.   Next, it’s not 1970.   Color analysts (Cannon’s role) go to people who have played the game.  Not talk show host lawyers.

Finally Booger MacFarland and the team on MNF did not succeed.   MacFarland has a great job on Monday Night Countdown on ESPN

I know you like “articulate” people.  Got it loud and clear.

Last edited by A83 (12/12/2021 10:11 am)

12/12/2021 10:59 am  #30

Benz does his homework on both teams.
I think he does an excellent job.
Do you want a screaming cheerleader?
Way too sensitive.

12/12/2021 12:16 pm  #31

A83 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

A83 wrote:

First, I never said to email anyone.   I don’t think they listen.  Not because they are smart but because they think they are smarter than the room.   

Miler was a universal failure because people don’t want bad comics on MNF.   Next, it’s not 1970.   Color analysts (Cannon’s role) go to people who have played the game.  Not talk show host lawyers.

Finally Booger MacFarland and the team on MNF did not succeed.   MacFarland has a great job on Monday Night Countdown on ESPN

Wow I guess you told me. Dennis Miller from Castle Shannon a failed comic. Foolishness indeed.

12/12/2021 12:17 pm  #32

How about Josh Taylor and Bruce Atkins for the tv telecast ?  Both are Duquesne grads.  But wait, we can’t have anymore DU people associated with the basketball program.  Ray and JD are enough.  KD ignores them on radio. Must be because of the hundreds of reporters poised in the press room awaiting his post game presser.  Besides, neither Josh nor Bruce are from Ohio.

12/12/2021 1:15 pm  #33

Somerset24 wrote:

How about Josh Taylor and Bruce Atkins for the tv telecast ?  Both are Duquesne grads.  But wait, we can’t have anymore DU people associated with the basketball program.  Ray and JD are enough.  KD ignores them on radio. Must be because of the hundreds of reporters poised in the press room awaiting his post game presser.  Besides, neither Josh nor Bruce are from Ohio.

Those are excellent choices.

12/12/2021 1:19 pm  #34

Ironduke81 wrote:

A83 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Wow I guess you told me. Dennis Miller from Castle Shannon a failed comic. Foolishness indeed.

Yeah, I did tell you.  For someone that is so worried about being “articulate” learn punctuation and how not to write run on sentences.

But you went two whole posts without saying Quinnpiac clown, so thank heavens for small things.

12/12/2021 2:25 pm  #35

A83 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

A83 wrote:

Yeah, I did tell you.  For someone that is so worried about being “articulate” learn punctuation and how not to write run on sentences.

But you went two whole posts without saying Quinnpiac clown, so thank heavens for small things.

When dealing with little minds I do not get paid by the hour to write a brief. I hope you can sleep at night posting on this board that Cannon or Benz should be fired. Unlike the Quinnipiac Clown who cost the University millions those two probably make 100.00 a game. You are a very angry man. Besides Dambrot as your next target who is next? Janitor, maintenance, public audio operator, AD or Gormley. Pathetic.

12/12/2021 2:41 pm  #36

I am about to hand out a thee game suspension.  Please enough of the personal attacks, and back to basketball.  

12/12/2021 2:44 pm  #37

On a different subject.  Did anyone else think Dambrot's post game interview was a little weird.  

12/12/2021 3:08 pm  #38

Great suggestions Somerset.  Also too bad Bruce couldn’t be more involved with the players.  Would think he would be a great influence on the inside game.  He is frequently at the games and is quite the fan.  Anyone know if he has been asked to be involved?

12/12/2021 3:18 pm  #39

CLK wrote:

On a different subject.  Did anyone else think Dambrot's post game interview was a little weird.  

Yes! What is he talking about?

I have a genuine concern for his mental health. This is not sarcasm.

-Tre & Rotroff aren't good at "guarding out on the floor." Tre hasn't done that kind of guarding in his "whole life". Then why do you keep asking them to do so every minute or every game?

-His monologue saying all he cares about is making the players better people while questioning their desire to win regardless of starting or not & his wisdom on how to handle good & bad people is pretty out there.

-The coach is friends with these players?

-This is the 3rd time he has publicly commented on JJ's defense. How many times have you heard him criticize TDH/Bkelja/Primo about their major defensive mistakes? I would argue that JJ is a better defender now than TDM ever tried to be. (I am not rooting for JJ above others. He has lots to work on. He seems to be working on these things 11 games into his collegiate career. I am trying to understand why this coach seems to have a tin ear when it comes to understanding how to manage real talent.)

-Why doesn't he understand that his players are only going to hear public criticism when they see this? 

-"As many things that have happened TO us" Holding your head with your hand throughout the press conference dejectedly? Whose body language & attitude are lacking?

Last edited by phil95 (12/12/2021 3:30 pm)

12/12/2021 3:29 pm  #40

I think there are rules about non-coaches like Bruce coaching players; but could be another rule that has fallen by the wayside. 

On the Benz/Cannon issue, I don’t subscribe to the pay site; so I can’t hear them; but it does seem like Cannon who I don’t believe ever played basketball beyond pickup games would hold a job as a “color man” on ESPN!  He really has no basis from which he can draw observations and conclusions on the game. I can’t recall any other College basketball color men or women who have no basketball experience.  I imagine there are several guys living in town that have played the game at the college level who could handle the job.

12/12/2021 3:34 pm  #41

CLK wrote:

I am about to hand out a thee game suspension.  Please enough of the personal attacks, and back to basketball.  

Agreed.   But I never called for Dambrot, Benz, or Cannon to be fired. And I never said to email anyone about anything.   My frustration has always been with the AD and how the athletic department is run.   And this is frustration that many of us feel.   

Thanks CLK for always being the voice of reason.

12/12/2021 3:35 pm  #42

KD was very close to  his father who recently passed.
KD would drive from Pgh to Akron to visit his father every day
until his father died.
He may  still be grieving.
Despite the transfer portal, the pandemic and his impatience and drive to win, I have read
nothing about player abuse or drinking. He is not perfect but he appears to be okay in coaching the team.
We will see what happens as the season unfolds.

12/12/2021 3:54 pm  #43

Econ69 wrote:

until his father died.
Despite the transfer portal, the pandemic and his impatience and drive to win, I have read
nothing about player abuse or drinking. He is not perfect but he appears to be okay in coaching the team.

Take criticism here with a grain of salt. Remember...if you are a hammer...everything looks like a nail.

One correction.  In all the years KD was at Akron, only 1 kid left the program for another (Bubba Walter).  Many walk-ons left to go to D2&3 programs but I doubt that is a negative. The league MVP and another 1st team all MAC player (both are playing professionally) could have left the program as grad students but stayed because of loyalty to KD.  He typically had 3-4 seniors every year. But....times have changed and so is KD.

12/12/2021 5:07 pm  #44

Thanks Dsnyder,
Extremely interesting.  Actually, I am somewhat surprised.  Now we can't count what happened the last few years with COVID and the rules change, but he has lost a number of players before that.  We will never have the answers on why the sudden losses and why so many but it makes for good discussion.

Under the category OTHER:
-Monmouth is crushing Pitt in the first half.  Do you remember when their coach (King) was a name that some Dukes folks wanted...
-Dayton beat Virginia Tech 62-57
-Davidson beat NE 79-69
-Miami beat Fordham 72-66

Last edited by FAM (12/12/2021 7:59 pm)

12/12/2021 8:46 pm  #45

phil95 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Yes! What is he talking about?

I have a genuine concern for his mental health. This is not sarcasm.

-Tre & Rotroff aren't good at "guarding out on the floor." Tre hasn't done that kind of guarding in his "whole life". Then why do you keep asking them to do so every minute or every game?

-The coach is friends with these players?

-This is the 3rd time he has publicly commented on JJ's defense. How many times have you heard him criticize TDH/Bkelja/Primo about their major defensive mistakes? I would argue that JJ is a better defender now than TDM ever tried to be. (I am not rooting for JJ above others. He has lots to work on. He seems to be working on these things 11 games into his collegiate career. I am trying to understand why this coach seems to have a tin ear when it comes to understanding how to manage real talent.)

-Why doesn't he understand that his players are only going to hear public criticism when they see this? 

-"As many things that have happened TO us" Holding your head with your hand throughout the press conference dejectedly? Whose body language & attitude are lacking?

That was indeed a weird press conference. Sounded like a an old school guy who doesn't have any patience or understanding of today's players. Kept harping on it as well. Don't be calling certain players out constantly while not taking any responsibility yourself for their development and failures in your eyes. Dambrot sounded like an old curmudgeon, and he's really not that old. Resign. Give some young progressive coach a chance who could thrive and help the program. That press conference was beyond bizarre and just down right disturbing. Anybody with half a brain could see that. Get out of here already. The players don't believe in his philosophy and why should they. This team is going NOWHERE with this guy and his excuses.

12/12/2021 10:06 pm  #46

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

until his father died.

Take criticism here with a grain of salt. Remember...if you are a hammer...everything looks like a nail.

One correction. In all the years KD was at Akron, only 1 kid left the program for another (Bubba Walter). Many walk-ons left to go to D2&3 programs but I doubt that is a negative. The league MVP and another 1st team all MAC player (both are playing professionally) could have left the program as grad students but stayed because of loyalty to KD. He typically had 3-4 seniors every year. But....times have changed and so is KD.

True, but where were they going to go? It's not like bigger schools were after them. The transfer portal has obviously created a way for players to get out of uncomfortable situations which I can't blame them. Dambrot did pretty well at Akron, but we are talking a mid range mid major conference. Ohio U and Kent stand out from their NCAA performances, as well as Eastern Michigan back in the day, Miami Ohio with Wally, Toledo a bit, but not Akron really. They never did much after conference play did they? I know they won an NIT game or two.

12/12/2021 11:29 pm  #47

phil95 wrote:

-Very happy for Rotroff. His play today gives me hope.

-Acuff is getting his feet under him. These are the minutes & contributions I have been waiting for. The more he plays the better he gets.

-Ayers & Williams had very poor shooting games but the team had 5 other guys in double figures. That seems noteworthy.

-NH is a bigger, better coached, & more experienced team. I think they would win 4-5 A-10 games this year. Combine that with better execution & not choking down the stretch, & you have a pretty good win.

-Controlling turnovers is a big strength for this year's team. I dig that.

-There were 2 second half stretches when 3 or 4 possesioms of zone defense were a no-brainer. Why do most of the board posters understand this but the coach just can't bring himself to?

-JJ is finding a role. His dribble penetration breaks down the D & makes for efficient scoring while his shooting from deep stretches the D some. He is not lost as a defender. He gets his paws on balls.

-I was pleased to see both Bkelja & Primo get yanked after getting torched twice each.They got back in & I like that too.

-Both Ayers & Primo are very comfortable taking big shots.

-I cannot get over the futility of the set offense.

Big fan of Rotroff. Just wish he'd get more positioned to get the ball down low. Don't know if it's conditioning or lack of coaching. He's got a nice touch around the basket.  Front the opposition big man and get a post or roll.  Johnson sees it and they work real well together. Hopefully, the coaching staff sees it as much as the bench players do. They get real excited when he succeeds. Rotroff could make a real difference.  Acuff as well. That guy needs to be on the court at all times. His potential is through the roof. Just needs the minutes. Okani seems a bit lost. Needs to be moving through the lane down low instead of constantly being out on the perimeter. Rotroff and Williams need be on the court at the same time for 20 minutes a game. Easley is slow footed, lacks any kind of defensive presence, but could be some instant offense of the bench. Ayers, Spears, both pretty goods scorers, but way too much one on one play, which can be attributed to the lack of movement in the offensive sets or no sets for that matter. Jackie Johnson gets the game. He and Rotroff work very well together. Williams works hard, but should be spending much more time down low instead of heaving ill advised three pointers at the wrong time. Momentum killers per se. Seen this the entire season. Not sure why this coach hasn't addressed it as it keeps happening. Duquesne's biggest defensive lapses are caused by their offensive lapses. Any decent coach will tell you that. I was fortunate enough to play under the legendary Howie Landa at Mercer County community college in NJ. He didn't recruit me, but when 4 players (3 of which who went to play high level D-1) were declared academically ineligibe for the second half of the season he asked me if I would practice with the remaining 8 players on the team who I scrimmaged with in pick up games many times before. I said yes of course. Never got off the bench in those Juco tournament games which saw us losing in the national quarterfinals, but I learned a lot about coaching, coaching philosophy, and a different knowledge of the game. Landa never made an an excuse for a loss and never threw a player under the bus. Took the blame for every loss. The guy was class personified. 

Last edited by Rayrich (12/12/2021 11:32 pm)

12/13/2021 7:35 am  #48

Rayrich n Phil, accurate assessment. Rotroff is the key yo a successful season. Played a nice game Saturday and always puts his heart into it. I also thought Acuff stuck out. Fir a guard he's got nice size. I think he had about 5 or 6 rebound.

12/13/2021 9:23 am  #49

Well said about the defense issues actually start with offense Rayrich! Primo and Rotroff deserve the game balls.  Agree with you Vickroy on Rotroff and KD talked about his confidence in presser and I say get him the minutes. I know that it was New Hampshire but let's sweep the OOC games and have a little momentum for A10 play! Did someone say zone defense? Haha

12/13/2021 10:53 am  #50

A83 wrote:

[

Miler was a universal failure because people don’t want bad comics on MNF. Next, it’s not 1970. Color analysts (Cannon’s role) go to people who have played the game. Not talk show host lawyers.

Fr.

Miller was not a bad comic. Well-regarded as the best SNL news anchor ever, but he was too intellectual for MNF. Something he readily admits! People didn't want sub-references on Christo or Magellan, they wanted sports analysis.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (12/13/2021 1:56 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera