Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2021 12:29 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - New Hampshire Wildcats

Bring back Howard Cosell !!!!

12/13/2021 5:45 pm  #52

Outside of Dickie V. there are no announcers that stand out as characters anymore to me. Really appreciate his schtick even though my best buddy wants to find another game to watch if Vitale is doing the color!

12/13/2021 7:03 pm  #53

El Presidente wrote:

Bring back Howard Cosell !!!!

... and Wild Rice!

12/13/2021 9:15 pm  #54

Rayrich, I agree with your assessment of the team.  I agree that Acuff has much potential.  If Rotroff can play anywhere near how he played against UNH, it obviously would be a major help to the team.   By all accounts he's a hard worker and it would be great if he had some sustained success.

12/13/2021 9:54 pm  #55

Rayrich wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

KD was very close to  his father who recently passed.
KD would drive from Pgh to Akron to visit his father every day
until his father died.
He may  still be grieving.
Despite the transfer portal, the pandemic and his impatience and drive to win, I have read
nothing about player abuse or drinking. He is not perfect but he appears to be okay in coaching the team.
We will see what happens as the season unfolds.

Take criticism here with a grain of salt. Remember...if you are a hammer...everything looks like a nail.

One correction. In all the years KD was at Akron, only 1 kid left the program for another (Bubba Walter). Many walk-ons left to go to D2&3 programs but I doubt that is a negative. The league MVP and another 1st team all MAC player (both are playing professionally) could have left the program as grad students but stayed because of loyalty to KD. He typically had 3-4 seniors every year. But....times have changed and so is KD.

True, but where were they going to go? It's not like bigger schools were after them. The transfer portal has obviously created a way for players to get out of uncomfortable situations which I can't blame them. Dambrot did pretty well at Akron, but we are talking a mid range mid major conference. Ohio U and Kent stand out from their NCAA performances, as well as Eastern Michigan back in the day, Miami Ohio with Wally, Toledo a bit, but not Akron really. They never did much after conference play did they? I know they won an NIT game or two.

Bigger schools were after them.  The 2 guards who left when KD left went to UNLV and New Mexico.

Lots of analysis and assumptions here without many facts. Disappointing that people do not do a little research.

12/13/2021 10:15 pm  #56

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Take criticism here with a grain of salt. Remember...if you are a hammer...everything looks like a nail.

One correction. In all the years KD was at Akron, only 1 kid left the program for another (Bubba Walter). Many walk-ons left to go to D2&3 programs but I doubt that is a negative. The league MVP and another 1st team all MAC player (both are playing professionally) could have left the program as grad students but stayed because of loyalty to KD. He typically had 3-4 seniors every year. But....times have changed and so is KD.

True, but where were they going to go? It's not like bigger schools were after them. The transfer portal has obviously created a way for players to get out of uncomfortable situations which I can't blame them. Dambrot did pretty well at Akron, but we are talking a mid range mid major conference. Ohio U and Kent stand out from their NCAA performances, as well as Eastern Michigan back in the day, Miami Ohio with Wally, Toledo a bit, but not Akron really. They never did much after conference play did they? I know they won an NIT game or two.

Bigger schools were after them. The 2 guards who left when KD left went to UNLV and New Mexico.

Lots of analysis and assumptions here without many facts. Disappointing that people do not do a little research.

\\

UNM and UNLV have been on the decline for years. Not what I would consider big time schools. Do some research yourself on the decline of those two programs.

12/14/2021 9:54 am  #57

El Presidente wrote:

Outside of Dickie V. there are no announcers that stand out as characters anymore to me. Really appreciate his schtick even though my best buddy wants to find another game to watch if Vitale is doing the color!

Al McGuire and Billy Packer were the best basketball announcers ever IMHO. McGuire died in 2001. He won a national championship with Marquette in 1977. Packer was born Anthony William Paczkowski (much worse than my last name). Billy attended Wake Forest. He played guard and graduated in 1962. He is still alive and kicking at age 81.  

Last edited by KenOTR73 (12/14/2021 9:55 am)

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/14/2021 10:12 am  #58

Onions!!!!

12/14/2021 12:06 pm  #59

KenOTR73 wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

Al McGuire and Billy Packer were the best basketball announcers ever IMHO. McGuire died in 2001. He won a national championship with Marquette in 1977. Packer was born Anthony William Paczkowski (much worse than my last name). Billy attended Wake Forest. He played guard and graduated in 1962. He is still alive and kicking at age 81.  

Agree with this. Enjoyed both immensely. McGuire was a great coach at Marquette and called it like he saw it as a color guy. Had great insight into the game. Great style and someone I would deem a character.  Packer was the ultimate pro at what he did.

Last edited by El Presidente (12/14/2021 12:07 pm)

12/15/2021 8:57 pm  #60

Loved Bucky Waters and Marv Albert broadcasting those Saturday afternoon ECAC games in the early 70's.

12/15/2021 9:25 pm  #61

McGuire had that team around 1977 with that guard n they won the national championship. Can't remember the guard but I bet he didn't out pro stormin Norman Nixon

12/15/2021 9:55 pm  #62

1111 Vickroy wrote:

McGuire had that team around 1977 with that guard n they won the national championship. Can't remember the guard but I bet he didn't out pro stormin Norman Nixon

Butch Lee who went had a cup of coffee in the NBA (played 96 games). Had a good supporting cast in Bo Ellis, Tatum, etc...You are correc in that he was never close to the player Nixon was.

12/15/2021 10:04 pm  #63

Hey Vickroy and I think you're referring to Butch Lee and yes I Googled! Haha  Ringgolds Ulice Payne,basketball teammates in high school with Joe Montana, was on that Marquette team too! Agree with you about McGuire

12/15/2021 10:10 pm  #64

Obvious, but can we at least have a "guy"? The last guy we had was Aaron Jackson. Can anyone suggest there was truly another besides Norman Nixon up to Jackson. A guy that could take the game over. I don't think so.

12/16/2021 9:40 am  #65

Obviously you are just referring to "modern day" Dukes, but Mark Stevenson, the transfer from Notre Dame was such a great scorer, that he could turn the game.  Ovie Soko was another guy that teams needed to plan for, when they played Duquesne; but you're right; we haven't had too many of "those guys" who could be called "closers" and that could be a reason that Duquesne has lost so many close games, or failed to hold leads down the stretch. 

12/16/2021 10:43 am  #66

I wonder of all the players on our current roster, who might emerge as such a "go to guy"? I have to believe that Spears and Johnson could be the leading candidates for that role. Neither seems shy about taking a big shot at crunch time. I would give Primo the advantage at this point. Let's hang on to both and see what we see.

12/16/2021 10:48 am  #67

Having given this more thought, I wouldn't rule out Acuff as a potential go to guy. Think he needs to be on the floor more. His scoring is really good for his PT.

12/17/2021 5:24 am  #68

TO seems to be an unbelievable athlete who has not shown much if any improvement from last season. Toby may have even taken a step backward. Afraid he may die on the vine here. Definitely not a "go to guy" at this point of his young career.

Last edited by El Presidente (12/17/2021 5:26 am)

12/17/2021 7:49 am  #69

The best shot and scorer is Ayers. KD said this himself during one of his pressers. IMHO he has a somewhat fragile level of confidence and once again IMHO KD has mishandled him so far. When he hits a shot early and gets “his eye” he can score in bunches.

12/17/2021 8:29 am  #70

El Presidente wrote:

TO seems to be an unbelievable athlete who has not shown much if any improvement from last season. Toby may have even taken a step backward. Afraid he may die on the vine here. Definitely not a "go to guy" at this point of his young career.

Agree. Toby perhaps is the most physically talented player at Duquesne in years. Great height & length. Can jump out of the gym. Runs like a deer. Big question is it coaching or lack thereof? Or is Toby not putting the work in the gym? I remember speaking with Ron that Jason & AJ would start their  day in the gym 6 am shooting 500 balls. Hopefully it is not a lack of confidence. If so the kid will never live up to his potential.

12/17/2021 1:01 pm  #71

I would think that if a player isn't in the gym working hard every day, including weekends when possible, then the level of commitment and love of the game just isn't there. That player should join the chess club or find another more appropriate outlet. Get on with their life's work as the Emperor so eloquently put it. Whatever level of talent one possesses should not be squandered. I would hope that all the players on our team want to be the very best version of themselves on and off the court.

Board footera