Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2013 3:07 pm  #1

A Twitter Conversation about Big East Expansion with Mike DeCourcy

Just thought this was interesting.  I believe this is a VCU fan discussing DU as a possibility if they can start to win with Mike.

Michael DeCourcy ‏@tsnmike Who should join Saint Louis when Big East expands? The choices are less inviting than it seems. My Starting Five:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-10-31/big-east-expansion-candidates-tom-crean-indiana-basketball-marshall-henderson

District Baller ‏@DistrictBaller tsnmike Is waiting for a private,urban,catholic school to emerge out of the question if VCU is a no-go? Duquesne's perfect if they get good

Michael DeCourcy ‏@tsnmike @DistrictBaller 1977 was so long ago, I was in high school.

District Baller ‏@DistrictBaller @tsnmike Right, but they have the Consol Center, huge Pittsburgh DMA, fit institutionally. No different than DePaul really. Have potential.

District Baller ‏@DistrictBaller 53m@tsnmike It just seems like a disconnect. When Richmond is your #2, you probably need to wait for better candidates to emerge.

Last edited by CLK (10/31/2013 3:11 pm)

10/31/2013 3:53 pm  #2

Re: A Twitter Conversation about Big East Expansion with Mike DeCourcy

You will never get anything positive about Duquesne from Mike DeCourcy, period.  He was a Pittsburgh writer who covered Pitt and never had a fair-minded comment about Duquesne; so consider the source.  I understand that Duquesne would need to take major strides forward to be invited, but the potential is definitely there, if the right moves are made.  The City is becoming more inviting to young professionals, and the per capita income has been rising.  The Consol would love to have Duquesne as a tenant for some big opponents. We already proved three years ago against Xavier at Consol that we can put 11,000 people in the building based on a successful season and a good opponent.  That team was still pretty limited, so I guess that we could draw even more with a legitimate team.  We just need to make a move soon.

10/31/2013 6:07 pm  #3

levon1975 wrote:

You will never get anything positive about Duquesne from Mike DeCourcy, period.  He was a Pittsburgh writer who covered Pitt and never had a fair-minded comment about Duquesne; so consider the source.  I understand that Duquesne would need to take major strides forward to be invited, but the potential is definitely there, if the right moves are made.  The City is becoming more inviting to young professionals, and the per capita income has been rising.  The Consol would love to have Duquesne as a tenant for some big opponents. We already proved three years ago against Xavier at Consol that we can put 11,000 people in the building based on a successful season and a good opponent.  That team was still pretty limited, so I guess that we could draw even more with a legitimate team.  We just need to make a move soon.

It's not his job to be a cheerleader for us. We can't hope for the BE to come rescue us, we have to become such a valuable asset, that they will want to take us. Xavier and Butler built their programs while members of the Horizon League. SLU has thrived as a member of the A10. Let's be honest, you would be hard pressed to find a team in one of the top 10 leagues that has done less than us over the last 40 years. We have contributed virtually nothing to the A10 since it's founding, and are lucky they haven't asked us to leave. If we have the potential we say we do, we ought to be able to show it while a member of what is, and has been, a very good league. It's time to put up, or shut up.

10/31/2013 9:03 pm  #4

DeCourcey made his name ratting Satalin out. Got him the Sporting News gig. He's a Point Park grad.

11/01/2013 8:42 am  #5

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

It's not his job to be a cheerleader for us. We can't hope for the BE to come rescue us, we have to become such a valuable asset, that they will want to take us. Xavier and Butler built their programs while members of the Horizon League. SLU has thrived as a member of the A10. Let's be honest, you would be hard pressed to find a team in one of the top 10 leagues that has done less than us over the last 40 years. We have contributed virtually nothing to the A10 since it's founding, and are lucky they haven't asked us to leave. If we have the potential we say we do, we ought to be able to show it while a member of what is, and has been, a very good league. It's time to put up, or shut up.

Agree with every point. The question becomes does the Duquesne athletic dept have the right captin to navigate this ship into the Big East waters? I hope so for the viable future of this program in a great Catholic conference with an off the chart tv package.I hope GA can pull this off. Go Dukes

11/01/2013 10:06 am  #6

I don't recall much "glory" during the Satalin years.

11/04/2013 11:16 am  #7

I'm going to watch and see if this new Big East will be as great as everyone says.  I will also watch the A-10 to see how they do with Mason and Davidson.

11/04/2013 11:56 am  #8

11/04/2013 12:49 pm  #9

Very interesting reading. Both articles. To Murray's credit, he did make some strong moves, bringing in John Carroll, who was the top assistant at then powerhouse Seton Hall. Carroll just couldn't get over the hump. The MCC move was a huge mistake that stopped the momentum Carroll had been building. (Thanks, BC)

11/04/2013 3:56 pm  #11

Obviously Rickma would have been the choice. I can't remember how it all played out, but that the search committee recomended the coach at Delaware, and that Murray rejected that. Carroll was in fact, a high profile hire at the time. Not sure what happened with Rickma, but once Cincy expressed interest in Huggins, Duquesne wasn't going to win that battle. I remember reading that Grg's family didn't want to come back to Pittsburgh. The timing was never right for Jarrett. His best years at Bobby Mo occured right after Carroll was hired. If we'd had an opening in 1992, he'd have been a no brainer hire. That said, he should have been offered the job when Edgar got canned.

11/04/2013 4:55 pm  #12

Mulder, what I meant by that is that DeCourcey broke the stories about the alleged problems with the program that ultimately led to his downfall. I used "ratted out" as a slang term; Satalin of course deserved to be fired if only for his record. He was brought in to "clean up" after Mike Rice. Also, I am not now nor have I ever been an insider. I knew some stuff from what guys have told me over the years, or better said heard some stuff. The closest I got to the program was the student newspaper and knowing some of the players from class. But no, I was never an insider, not with my $5 donation (this is a reference to what said about me on one of the message boards a few years ago).

duq81, imagine how different things would have been with Majerus. Grgurich would have been a horrible choice because he was helping Tark cheat at UNLV. I liked the Carroll hire at the time and I would have liked Jarrett any time. He's a classy guy and he really knows the game. Carroll recruited well early but didn't seem to grasp the Xs and Os, and then after his initial rich haul of big men (Lopes, Alston, Ladsen) couldn't attract anyone over 6-5.

11/04/2013 5:23 pm  #13

ElDuque wrote:

Mulder, what I meant by that is that DeCourcey broke the stories about the alleged problems with the program that ultimately led to his downfall. I used "ratted out" as a slang term; Satalin of course deserved to be fired if only for his record. He was brought in to "clean up" after Mike Rice. Also, I am not now nor have I ever been an insider. I knew some stuff from what guys have told me over the years, or better said heard some stuff. The closest I got to the program was the student newspaper and knowing some of the players from class. But no, I was never an insider, not with my $5 donation (this is a reference to what said about me on one of the message boards a few years ago).

duq81, imagine how different things would have been with Majerus. Grgurich would have been a horrible choice because he was helping Tark cheat at UNLV. I liked the Carroll hire at the time and I would have liked Jarrett any time. He's a classy guy and he really knows the game. Carroll recruited well early but didn't seem to grasp the Xs and Os, and then after his initial rich haul of big men (Lopes, Alston, Ladsen) couldn't attract anyone over 6-5.

Lack of good big guys was the downfall of Carroll, and RE, the two best coaches of the last 30 years. This is why I was so happy about Watkins, and Robinson, and why I'm nervous now. Good big guys are very hard to get.

11/04/2013 8:32 pm  #14

Speaking of the Big East watching on Fox sports the preview show with Rafferty.This is we're Duquesne belongs. Hope coach Ferry can get it done fast. As for the A10 preview show is there a podcast? No that takes to much imagination or work. Joke!

11/05/2013 9:46 am  #15

ElDuque wrote:

Well, you are more in or at least knowledgeable than I am.  I guess looking back I don't see DeCourcey as hating DU any more than anyone else has over the years in print (or on TV/Radio).  Certainly that continues today but then we don't deserve to be much more than an afterthought right now until we actually do something very positive (e.g, couple beating Pitt with a strong season; getting to the NCAA in multiple years, etc.).  That's not to say they are all like that.  I think the new PG beat guy (Nesbitt) has gotten off to a good start and Paul Zeise did a fine job last year.  Stan Savran on radio usually will talk about Duquesne positively and will criticize but constructively.  That's about it.

Satalin deserved to go for a number of reasons, not the least of which to me was his comment to me shortly after he was hired.  I attended some kind of reception for him for ticket holders, alums or somebody and we each got the chance to shake his hand and welcome him.  When I asked him about returning to the NCAA his response was somewhat tepid to say the least - we may get there sometime and once in a while is essentially what he said.  Didn't sound too enthusiastic to me.

I too recall Carroll as being a great hire - he was considered one of the top assistants nationally at the time he was hired if I recall.

11/05/2013 10:50 am  #16

Mulder, as far as insight goes, I learn infinitely more from you than you'll ever garner from me, as far as basketball or any other topic. I've never sensed bad blood coming from DeCourcey; just the occasional gratuitous shot across our inglorious three (nearly four) decade-long battle for respectability.

Since I only see what's in print, I don't know much about the local media and how it treats us. I do like reading Steve Nesbitt and I sort of marvel at how he can cover two beats so effectively. Chris Harlan has been giving us fair coverage in the T-R, but I sure as heck miss Mackall.

I know a lot of guys are down on Dejan. I think he does a mostly good job and you can trade jabs with him without him getting nasty. Unlike Smizik, who apparently was Dejan's hero.

I like Zeise because I think he has a good grasp of the national picture in sports.

Really, the answer for DU to stop being thought of as second rate is simple: win. And do it consistently. I hope we get over the hump soon.

11/05/2013 6:45 pm  #17

Mulder wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Well, you are more in or at least knowledgeable than I am.  I guess looking back I don't see DeCourcey as hating DU any more than anyone else has over the years in print (or on TV/Radio).  Certainly that continues today but then we don't deserve to be much more than an afterthought right now until we actually do something very positive (e.g, couple beating Pitt with a strong season; getting to the NCAA in multiple years, etc.).  That's not to say they are all like that.  I think the new PG beat guy (Nesbitt) has gotten off to a good start and Paul Zeise did a fine job last year.  Stan Savran on radio usually will talk about Duquesne positively and will criticize but constructively.  That's about it.

Satalin deserved to go for a number of reasons, not the least of which to me was his comment to me shortly after he was hired.  I attended some kind of reception for him for ticket holders, alums or somebody and we each got the chance to shake his hand and welcome him.  When I asked him about returning to the NCAA his response was somewhat tepid to say the least - we may get there sometime and once in a while is essentially what he said.  Didn't sound too enthusiastic to me.

I too recall Carroll as being a great hire - he was considered one of the top assistants nationally at the time he was hired if I recall.

Couldn't agree with you more about Satalin, Mulder. For years, stretching back to the last year or so of Manning's coaching career, I used to unofficially send reports or meet with the coaches about players they might want to look at. Over the years they actually brought in four or five for recruiting visits and signed one. A week after Satalin was hired he wrote me a letter in which he stated that my services were no longer welcomed stating that, if I was good at what I do then the school wouldn't have needed to hire him. For the record, two of the five went on to earn honorable mention All-American status at other schools. Satilin and his moron brother were obnoxious and too wrapped up in their own self importance to have had the passion necessary to run a consistently successful program at Duquesne. 

11/05/2013 9:07 pm  #18

apluski wrote:

Mulder wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more about Satalin, Mulder. For years, stretching back to the last year or so of Manning's coaching career, I used to unofficially send reports or meet with the coaches about players they might want to look at. Over the years they actually brought in four or five for recruiting visits and signed one. A week after Satalin was hired he wrote me a letter in which he stated that my services were no longer welcomed stating that, if I was good at what I do then the school wouldn't have needed to hire him. For the record, two of the five went on to earn honorable mention All-American status at other schools. Satilin and his moron brother were obnoxious and too wrapped up in their own self importance to have had the passion necessary to run a consistently successful program at Duquesne. 

Satalin didn't want to get out there and recruit. That's why he left Bona. He thought that once the Dukes started winning, it would be easy to lure recruits to an urban campus, as opposed to Olean. The rape case derailed his plans.

11/06/2013 8:25 am  #19

Don't feel bad apluski. At one point, I think Mossie Murphy was also shown the door WRT his recruiting counsel.

I don't know how the NCAA$$holes govern such things, but at the start of Satalin's regime, the type of service you offered may have been frowned upon at institutions outside of the Big East, Big 10 and PAC 10.

Board footera