Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/31/2021 11:48 am  #1

Duquesne makes it on a bad "end of the year list."

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) a non-partisan, non-profit civil liberties group, whose goal is to protect academic freedom and the rights of students and faculty, put Duquesne on their "Ten Worst Colleges for Free Speech in 2021" over its conduct and the firing of Professor Gary Shank, who was apparently terminated over the actual use of a certain racial epithet, in an academic context, in clear violation of the University's own policies on academic freedom.

https://www.thefire.org/10-worst-colleges-for-free-speech-2021/

I've been out of school since grad school in  1996, and I am sure the campus atmosphere has changed since I was there, but even as an undergrad back in the 80s, but I was always grateful that DU was not an overly political campus and was not on the news all the time over this protest or that.  Our professors taught, regardless of their political stripe, and we learned regardless of ours. I remember open discussions where students and faculty could express their opinions on the controversial topics and not have to "watch what they say."

In fact FIRE sent a long, detailed letter to President Gormley over the matter, and in the course of the text it referenced several famous cases, many of which I learned about in Kent Moors' Civil Liberties class back in the day!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/05/2022 8:48 am  #2

Re: Duquesne makes it on a bad "end of the year list."

Thanks for the post Tejas Duke. 
The FIRE awards made for some very enlightening reading.  It would have to read more about the context in regard to the Duquesne case.  The actual classroom situation is not well documented.

1/05/2022 7:33 pm  #3

Re: Duquesne makes it on a bad "end of the year list."

The links from the FIRE story were pretty detailed, also FIRE's letter to Gormley, although it was written more like a legal brief.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera