Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2022 11:09 am  #1

Happy 85th Birthday Ray Goss

1/06/2022 12:08 pm  #2

Re: Happy 85th Birthday Ray Goss

Happy Birthday Ray!

Here's to a true DU treasure.

1/06/2022 12:25 pm  #3

If you're 85 you've been suffering with our Dukes longer than I have. God bless you, Ray!

1/06/2022 7:24 pm  #4

Ray Goss is still one of the very best basketball play by play guys on the planet! A total class act. 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAY!!!

1/06/2022 8:56 pm  #5

God we need to make the Big Dance soon so this guy can call one Tournament Game.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/06/2022 9:15 pm  #6

Happy Birthday Ray!  God bless you.  Thank you for the memories and hopefully many more!  Go Dukes!

1/07/2022 9:28 am  #7

Tejas_Duke wrote:

God we need to make the Big Dance soon so this guy can call one Tournament Game.

It would be an appropriate way to head into retirement by calling a tournament game and not knowing when the season/career will end.  It would be fitting since Ray's first play by play game for the Dukes came on St. Patrick's Day 1968 calling the Dukes' loss to Fordham (69-60) in the NIT post season event.

1/07/2022 1:02 pm  #8

El Presidente wrote:

Ray Goss is still one of the very best basketball play by play guys on the planet! A total class act. 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAY!!!

Very true. I really haven’t noticed any difference in Ray’s announcing in the 20 years I’ve been following the Dukes. His ability for a 65 year old would be great, for an 85 year old it’s almost unbelievable.

Happy Birthday!!! Thank you! Congratulations! May there be many more to come! And may the Dukes reward you for all your hard work with a trip to the Big Dance before too long. I’m sure the biggest smile in the room will be yours.

1/07/2022 1:59 pm  #9

Well said luckymcd and Phoenix it has been so long since that 1968 NIT game that I am pretty sure that I listened to with my  dad but who did the radio before that? I would have listened but can't recall anyone before Ray? Thanks

1/07/2022 2:23 pm  #10

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Well said luckymcd and Phoenix it has been so long since that 1968 NIT game that I am pretty sure that I listened to with my dad but who did the radio before that? I would have listened but can't recall anyone before Ray? Thanks

Judge, for some reason, Tom Bender sticks in my head.  That would be my guess.  Before that, I think Joe Tucker did the Dukes' games for may years up through the late 50's.

1/07/2022 3:56 pm  #11

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Well said luckymcd and Phoenix it has been so long since that 1968 NIT game that I am pretty sure that I listened to with my dad but who did the radio before that? I would have listened but can't recall anyone before Ray? Thanks

Judge, for some reason, Tom Bender sticks in my head.  That would be my guess.  Before that, I think Joe Tucker did the Dukes' games for may years up through the late 50's.

What memories you guys have! Quick internet search shows both Tom Bender and Joe Tucker announced DU Basketball, latter for 22 years. Didn't give exact years. I only remember Ray.

1/07/2022 3:57 pm  #12

Charlie Hinkel did play by play for the Dukes for a while in the sixties.

Last edited by El Presidente (1/07/2022 4:22 pm)

1/07/2022 9:19 pm  #13

El Presidente wrote:

Charlie Hinkel did play by play for the Dukes for a while in the sixties.

Wow, that name doesn’t ring a bell for me at all. Thanks, EP.

1/07/2022 10:03 pm  #14

Does anyone remember John Cigna doing color on some games?

1/08/2022 1:15 am  #15

Yes definitely.  I believe my senior year of high school which would have been 1966-67.  At least I think that would have been the year.

1/08/2022 8:37 am  #16

Cigna sounds right. Went to games so didn't hear much radio. I had mentioned Charlie Hinkel. If you remember Roger Houston calling races at the Meadows, Hinkel preceded him. Believe he is long gone but was a familiar figure in town for a time back in the day. I want to say early to mid sixties or so.

1/08/2022 9:39 am  #17

I also remember Joe Tucker vaguely but just too far back for even me to totally recall. Of course Tucker did play by play for the Steelers for many years but that had to be in the fifties and before. Well known name in early Pittsburgh sports. I do believe that Tom Bender was involved also with our Dukes' broadcasts but can't pinpoint just when. Lot's of fun recalling earlier times.

Board footera