Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2022 1:48 pm  #1

1/10/2022 2:45 pm  #2

Re: Jackie Johnson III A10 Rookie Of The Week

Truly well deserved!! I guess the old adage is true that good things come in small packages! Quite a talent at any size!! We will need lots more of that from both freshman as we traverse the A -10 schedule. GO DUKES! Let's get Fordham in the win column.

Last edited by El Presidente (1/10/2022 2:46 pm)

1/10/2022 2:55 pm  #3

I realize there are still areas to improve but he is a joy to watch.  He and Primo could be as good of a guard tandem as there is in the conference even as freshmen.  And I might add that Acuff is looking real good as well.  Need to keep going against a much improved Fordham team that will not be easy.  One game at a time.  Congrats Jackie!

1/10/2022 3:15 pm  #4

Way to go Jackie!  Impressive indeed.  He and Primo have stepped up.
A 10 will be challenging but they will be up for it.  Fun to watch.  Takes my breath away when he hoists it up from so far out sometimes but he sure has the confidence.
Go Dukes!

1/10/2022 6:35 pm  #5

RedandBlueRUs wrote:

Takes my breath away when he hoists it up from so far out sometimes but he sure has the confidence.

No doubt. In just half a season I think he’s already set the record for “no no no oh good shot.” He’s a complete scorer too though. If teams step out to take the deep shots away he can beat them to the hoop and has a nice mid range floater too. He’s shown some ability to find the open man if the help defender collapses too and hopefully that will continue to develop.

1/10/2022 7:00 pm  #6

luckymcd wrote:

RedandBlueRUs wrote:

Takes my breath away when he hoists it up from so far out sometimes but he sure has the confidence.

No doubt. In just half a season I think he’s already set the record for “no no no oh good shot.” He’s a complete scorer too though. If teams step out to take the deep shots away he can beat them to the hoop and has a nice mid range floater too. He’s shown some ability to find the open man if the help defender collapses too and hopefully that will continue to develop.

I watched a lot of videos of JJ3 at Hargrave.  He makes those deep treys routinely.  He shot close to a 50% rate in prep school.  The thing I really like about this kid is his work ethic.  Nobody will out work him.  He is driven to be the best, so I have no doubt he will continue to get better.  

1/10/2022 10:16 pm  #7

He's short and stocky, but dynamic out there.  His build,  and his movement in and back out for the long shot - and the driving for a layup, and the floaters -- all remind me a little of Willie Somerset  ('60 - '63)

1/11/2022 7:58 am  #8

Speaking of Willie Somerset, Willie actually played thru the 64-65 season as I was a freshman that year and saw many of those games. It was a fifth year for him as he was hurt the previous (4th) year and redshirted. He was listed at 5-10 but no way! Willie was maybe 5-8 and the best basketball player that I personally ever saw play in a Duke's uni. If Jackie J has a career anything like that, he will indeed be something special.

Last edited by El Presidente (1/11/2022 8:20 am)

1/11/2022 12:14 pm  #9

We’ll deserved. Primo and JJ starting to look comfortable and like things are slowing down for them.

The dribble move he put on Kelly to go through the legs, shot fake hesitation move on the 3 point shot, and corresponding drive and high floater was absolutely vicious. Broke Kelly’s ankles and that shot was the dagger that put the game away.

Ditto on Primo’s turnaround move on the baseline jumper a couple minutes before. These guys are super super talented.

1/11/2022 12:21 pm  #10

Duques102 wrote:

We’ll deserved. Primo and JJ starting to look comfortable and like things are slowing down for them.

The dribble move he put on Kelly to go through the legs, shot fake hesitation move on the 3 point shot, and corresponding drive and high floater was absolutely vicious. Broke Kelly’s ankles and that shot was the dagger that put the game away.

Ditto on Primo’s turnaround move on the baseline jumper a couple minutes before. These guys are super super talented.

Great to have these two to build around. If we can keep them here, I can't imagine a team in or out of the A-10 with a better guard tandem even as soon as next year.

1/11/2022 2:24 pm  #11

El Presidente wrote:

Speaking of Willie Somerset, Willie actually played thru the 64-65 season as I was a freshman that year and saw many of those games. It was a fifth year for him as he was hurt the previous (4th) year and redshirted. He was listed at 5-10 but no way! Willie was maybe 5-8 and the best basketball player that I personally ever saw play in a Duke's uni. If Jackie J has a career anything like that, he will indeed be something special.

I would agree with you, Willie was something special in those days.  I graduated in '63 and moved away from the Burg' and didn't see him play thereafter.  I think he played a little in the NBA and also in the ABL.  He was a good student -- in the school of pharmacy....  I think he eventually owned 2 or 3 pharmacies in Pennsylvania.  

Jackie Johnson came up and introduced himself to me at the Cooper Open House in the early fall.  Made a very nice first impression.  He was there along with Austin Rotroff and Hima - and they showed me the weight room.   I have a feeling that he's got several positive parallels with Willie Somerset.   I'm certainly pulling for him to do well.  

Board footera