Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2022 8:48 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (A)

Ohams 15 boards, 8 blocks, 14 pts.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/12/2022 8:51 pm  #27

This is  bad for the nerves,

1/12/2022 8:51 pm  #28

Make em both.

1/12/2022 8:52 pm  #29

Damn.

1/12/2022 8:53 pm  #30

Easley misses FT, they drive and score. We lose.....

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/12/2022 8:56 pm  #31

Easley should have been pulled much earlier. Couldn't throw it in the ocean tonight and got beat defensively all night. Acuff needs more minutes, Easley less minutes.

1/12/2022 8:56 pm  #32

Probably the worst guy to get that rebound off their 3 pt shot, knowing they had to send us to the line.   UGH!

Last edited by townsonkid (1/12/2022 8:57 pm)

1/12/2022 8:57 pm  #33

Need a stud 5. Ohams was more than we could handle tonite!
Credit to our guys for battling to the wire.
Fordham will be a tough out for lots of teams this year.

1/12/2022 8:59 pm  #34

Not a surprise, beating us badly in transition all night. Missing the front end was as good as handing them two points. Be interesting to see how Keith counters their speed and quickness advantage in the rematch. Easley seemed a little off the whole game.

1/12/2022 9:00 pm  #35

I'm sure nobody feels worse than the team and coach, but that loss sucked.  Let's work hard for Saturday.

1/12/2022 9:06 pm  #36

El Presidente wrote:

Need a stud 5. Ohams was more than we could handle tonite!
Credit to our guys for battling to the wire.
Fordham will be a tough out for lots of teams this year.

Sorry, EP, as much as I love your whole "We're just a 6-10 blue chipper away from the Final Four" routine, Williams more than held his own against Chuba as that last sequence demonstrated. We lost because we couldn't take care of the basketball or keep up with their smaller quicker guards. Having actual half court sets instead of whoever brings it over the timeline try to score would be nice as well.

1/12/2022 9:12 pm  #37

In fairness, we were killing them with iso-ball the whole second half. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.  Each game calls for different things, and I think the dukes have adjusted well as of late. For whatever reason, maybe their defensive pressure or the way the game was officiated, we struggled to get into our sets without turning the ball over. So why risk it? Personally I liked the decision to simplify and go iso. They couldn’t stop our guards.

Sidenote, if I see one more garbage flop awarded as a charge on the backdown I’m going to have to start a gofundme for a new TV. Ridiculous. Glad Dambrot got the T because I definitely would have as well.

1/12/2022 9:19 pm  #38

Kevin missed the free throw, but the coaches blew the last play. The Dukes had a foul to give.  The Fordham guard blew right past Primo.  Never should have happened.

1/12/2022 9:22 pm  #39

CLK - A perfect summary.  Close games are lost by poor coaching and blowouts are lost by poor playing.

1/12/2022 9:29 pm  #40

Primo tried to foul. You could see Dambrot mouth “we have a foul to give” to Primo right before Easley’s free throw.  I just watched it back.

1/12/2022 9:36 pm  #41

Make the free throw with the game on the line! Then how about playing defense.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/12/2022 9:56 pm  #42

4 Things

1. Fordham did not have possession of the ball & their last timeout should never have been allowed.

2.  7 seconds to play, your opponent is 2 fouls short  of being in the bonus, an opponent has a head of steam going to the basket. FOUL THE BALL HANDLER AT HALF COURT!!! (Watch it back, Primo makes a truly half-ass effort at fouling as the ballhandler steams past.)

3. On Fordham's winning shot the ball goes through the net around 3.6 seconds the home clock keeper instead stops it at 3.2.
You could:
-Call a timeout, by rule, the clock would automatically be reviewed most likely getting you nearly a half second more to work with. Worst case scenario, you get a chance to setup a real play. Many coaches now do this automatically because the likelihood of more time being added is now so high with replay.
-Easley could have hesitated for a second, rolled the ball up court to Jackie, (like everyone else does instead of having him take what is essentially a handoff starting the clock immediately), and see if you can get it over half court to call your timeout.

This is the same lack of teaching from the coaches & execution/basketball intellect from the players that caused the Colorado game to go to overtime. In that instance, I believe that it was 90% on the coaches & 10% on the players. In this case, I think they share in the blame equally.

4. Many folks will point to FT shooting & turnovers. I say the more mature, hungry, & disciplined team won tonight.

1/12/2022 9:59 pm  #43

CityDuke wrote:

Primo tried to foul. You could see Dambrot mouth “we have a foul to give” to Primo right before Easley’s free throw. I just watched it back.

Sorry either way that play should never have happened.  Pretty poor effort by Primo to foul him as he blew by him.  He had ample opportunity to foul as he guarded him with his hands up.  A teachable moment.  

https://twitter.com/NCAABuzzerBters/status/1481447137204477954

1/12/2022 10:14 pm  #44

Poor direction from the coaches. Phil… I agree.

1/12/2022 10:35 pm  #45

Ohams averaging over 11 rebounds per game.
Way more tonight with a bunch of blocks and 14 points.
Without him in there it doesn't matter what happens at the end of the game.
6-9 stud.

1/12/2022 10:46 pm  #46

Coach tells Primo to foul the ballhandler and he doesnt committ the foul.Its  all on Primo ,he was aware
Dukes had a foul to give and failed to listen to coaches instruction.Next game Primo is benched to think
about the consequences of not following Dambrots instruction.

1/12/2022 11:07 pm  #47

Primo kept them in the game in the second half. Not going to blame him. The first possession of the second half was an off balanced three attempt by Easley with 20 seconds on the shot clock kind of set the tone. Should have worked the ball underneath to Willliams who was unstoppable in the first half or get the ball to JJ3 who was in a flow in the first half. All about the ebb and flow of a game which the best coaches recognize and take advantage of. This coach never does. Tired of the old school crap he "spews" constantly in his post game interviews. Rotroff has had more more points and rebounds per minute in the last 5 games than anyone on the team, but sees the court for 10 or 15 minutes at most. Acuff gets one shot off tonight and rarely sees the court. Acuff could have been the difference tonight. Easley didn't need all those minutes as anyone could see he was not the least bit on tonight. I don't get it.

1/12/2022 11:09 pm  #48

Give it to Fordhams coach. Down 11 then up 8 big swing.Very impressed. He knew to send his guard to the hole even though duquesne had a foul to give to win the game. Rams 2-0 in A10.

1/12/2022 11:19 pm  #49

Live and learn the hard way.

1/12/2022 11:52 pm  #50

Rayrich wrote:

Primo kept them in the game in the second half. Not going to blame him. The first possession of the second half was an off balanced three attempt by Easley with 20 seconds on the shot clock kind of set the tone. Should have worked the ball underneath to Willliams who was unstoppable in the first half or get the ball to JJ3 who was in a flow in the first half. All about the ebb and flow of a game which the best coaches recognize and take advantage of. This coach never does. Tired of the old school crap he "spews" constantly in his post game interviews. Rotroff has had more more points and rebounds per minute in the last 5 games than anyone on the team, but sees the court for 10 or 15 minutes at most. Acuff gets one shot off tonight and rarely sees the court. Acuff could have been the difference tonight. Easley didn't need all those minutes as anyone could see he was not the least bit on tonight. I don't get it.

Respectfully, I couldn’t disagree more. Easley, while he has been struggling the last two games, has arguably been our most consistent player all season. You want to quick pull him? And I actually didn’t mind his look to start the second half. Open shot with both feet set. Yes it was early in the clock, but the kid is shooting 42% from three this season. And whose minutes do you suggest giving to Acuff? I like Acuff’s game too, but when Jackie and Primo have been filling it up the way they have been lately, they deserve the bulk of the minutes IMO.

Board footera