Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2022 2:08 pm  #2

Re: Tristan Freeman Take Away From KD Zoom Call Today

1/14/2022 2:49 pm  #3

“On Dayton as a program... "Even during my days at Akron, I didn't recruit anyone that Dayton had offered because I knew I wasn't going to get him".

Well this doesn’t exactly instill me with confidence in Dambrot’s recruiting abilities.    Even when I was more successful than in my current mess, I didn’t offer against Dayton.  Makes me really want to watch this team.   What a bizarre thing to say.   It’s the truth but thanks for pointing it out that we will always be third class at DU.

Last edited by A83 (1/14/2022 3:10 pm)

1/14/2022 2:59 pm  #4

And Dayton fans love the quote and are retweeting.   He should just forfeit tomorrow and save people the trouble.

1/14/2022 4:08 pm  #5

Despite Dambrot's supposed inability to recruit, we beat Dayton last February. Maybe he figured out a way to coach his players.

1/14/2022 4:47 pm  #6

A83 wrote:

“On Dayton as a program... "Even during my days at Akron, I didn't recruit anyone that Dayton had offered because I knew I wasn't going to get him"

I have to admit this quote didn't sit well with me either.  So many things I could say about this quote but won't.  

Here are more quotes from Dambrot in the PSN article. I am so disappointed in this coach, and not interested in hearing excuses.   We are not 11-3, we are what we are 6-8, and much this on the coaches.  This team has talent to win, the coaches need to do a lot better job of coaching.  

Duquesne Notebook: Dukes Try And Rebound From Tough Loss To Fordham - Pittsburgh Sports Now

1/14/2022 5:06 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

A83 wrote:

“On Dayton as a program... "Even during my days at Akron, I didn't recruit anyone that Dayton had offered because I knew I wasn't going to get him"

I have to admit this quote didn't sit well with me either.  So many things I could say about this quote but won't.  

Here are more quotes from Dambrot in the PSN article. I am so disappointed in this coach, and not interested in hearing excuses.   We are not 11-3, we are what we are 6-8, and much this on the coaches.  This team has talent to win, the coaches need to do a lot better job of coaching.  

Duquesne Notebook: Dukes Try And Rebound From Tough Loss To Fordham - Pittsburgh Sports Now

These are Nee like quotes.   It’s apparent that Dambrot can not deal with the changes in the game due to the transfer portal.

Imagine being on the team and being told I recruited because you aren’t good enough to go Dayton.  Inspiring!!!

1/14/2022 5:08 pm  #8

pressurecooker wrote:

Despite Dambrot's supposed inability to recruit, we beat Dayton last February. Maybe he figured out a way to coach his players.

I didn’t say he was unable to recruit.   He did.   What other teams does he take a pass on if they offered someone he is interested in?

1/14/2022 5:25 pm  #9

A83 wrote:

“On Dayton as a program... "Even during my days at Akron, I didn't recruit anyone that Dayton had offered because I knew I wasn't going to get him".

Well this doesn’t exactly instill me with confidence in Dambrot’s recruiting abilities. Even when I was more successful than in my current mess, I didn’t offer against Dayton. Makes me really want to watch this team. What a bizarre thing to say. It’s the truth but thanks for pointing it out that we will always be third class at DU.

He was probably sandbagging a little to pump up the opponent before the game; but I certainly share your dismay!  Isn't it an odd thing to offer in an interview; but perhaps he's being too honest.  It really sucks to follow this team when the coach has a defeatist attitude in public.  

1/14/2022 5:46 pm  #10

From what I read, Dayton Arena has 13,409 capacity.
They sell out all the mbb games.
DU as 4400 capacity and rarely sells out.
That could be part of the reason for KD's comment.
The university  real priority is the medical school which has
now reached candidate status for accrediation.

1/14/2022 6:14 pm  #11

I hope Dambrot was sandbagging just like Big Ben for the Steelers against K.C. Dukes 3 1/2 dogs. Taking the Dukes against Flyer nation. Levon thanks for the tip👍

1/14/2022 7:16 pm  #12

levon1975 wrote:

A83 wrote:

Well this doesn’t exactly instill me with confidence in Dambrot’s recruiting abilities. Even when I was more successful than in my current mess, I didn’t offer against Dayton. Makes me really want to watch this team. What a bizarre thing to say. It’s the truth but thanks for pointing it out that we will always be third class at DU.

He was probably sandbagging a little to pump up the opponent before the game; but I certainly share your dismay!  Isn't it an odd thing to offer in an interview; but perhaps he's being too honest.  It really sucks to follow this team when the coach has a defeatist attitude in public.  

I agree it with it being defeatist.   As far as sandbagging, the Steelers are a playoff team and can sandbag the Chiefs.   No matter how much of an underdog the Steelers have been there and done that.   The Detroit Lions or NY Jets can’t sandbag the Chiefs.   It just admitting the truth for all to see.

IMO, that’s what he did.   He said you are so good I don’t try to compete against you.

1/14/2022 10:34 pm  #13

I want to puke, r u kidding me about this recruiting comment!!!  We need to go after any player that is considering any A-10 school.  Why did we invest so much in the facilities, the Coach and the program (housing, food, charter flights etc.) if we weren't going to make the effort to be in the top tier of the conference!!! Didn't our Coach say "I came to Duquesne to win championships"??!!!  Well Coach, you are going to do that if you can't or don't want to recruit a prospect at the top echelon of the A-10.  I said it before and I'll say it again, changes to this staff are necessary,  D. Harper, you need to realize that this under recruiting and coaching up is not going to work in the current environment of college bball.  

1/15/2022 12:26 am  #14

I'm not going to overreact this recruiting quote.  In any sport it is customary to be humble and gracious in your comments as a coach leading up to a game against a team that has for years been the class of your conference/league/division.   Actions speak louder than words and KD and the boys beat Dayton at the Coop last time out so I will put more stock in that than anything KD says.  I choose to view the quote as a subtle jab at the Dayton coach and players.  Maybe he's saying, "You guys have the better recruits and I still beat you." 

In recent seasons Dayton has clearly been a better program than Duquesne and KD was speaking from many years of experience recruiting in Ohio against Dayton - both at Akron and now Duquesne.  If his experience has shown him the recruits always choose Dayton over his schools than I have no problem with him making this remark.   And I think it has very very little to do with his and his staff's ability to recruit.  It's not like Wake Forest is pulling in recruits over Duke and North Carolina.  The good recruits always choose the better programs.  Beat Dayton tomorrow and that's 2 in a row and something to sell to the recruits next time around but for now I'd rather him not waste his time and resources chasing a player his vast experience has taught him he is unable to get.  

Last edited by Styles1229 (1/15/2022 12:28 am)

1/15/2022 7:45 am  #15

Styles1229 wrote:

I'm not going to overreact this recruiting quote.  In any sport it is customary to be humble and gracious in your comments as a coach leading up to a game against a team that has for years been the class of your conference/league/division.   Actions speak louder than words and KD and the boys beat Dayton at the Coop last time out so I will put more stock in that than anything KD says.  I choose to view the quote as a subtle jab at the Dayton coach and players.  Maybe he's saying, "You guys have the better recruits and I still beat you." 

In recent seasons Dayton has clearly been a better program than Duquesne and KD was speaking from many years of experience recruiting in Ohio against Dayton - both at Akron and now Duquesne.  If his experience has shown him the recruits always choose Dayton over his schools than I have no problem with him making this remark.   And I think it has very very little to do with his and his staff's ability to recruit.  It's not like Wake Forest is pulling in recruits over Duke and North Carolina.  The good recruits always choose the better programs.  Beat Dayton tomorrow and that's 2 in a row and something to sell to the recruits next time around but for now I'd rather him not waste his time and resources chasing a player his vast experience has taught him he is unable to get.  

BRAVO!

1/15/2022 8:30 am  #16

Sorry guys but that’s why they call it “recruiting”; you have to sell kids on what you have to offer that makes them excited to play for one coach or program over another.  You have to occasionally be able to win that battle for A-10 level talent using any sales techniques available. A “chance to step in and have an impact immediately, to be our “go-to” guy, to get NIL deals”; just find the right trigger to get him to listen; but at some point you need to reach beyond your comfort level and get a player!
In all fairness, someone did a nice job last year recruiting guards Jackie Johnson and Primo Spears; who are doing just fine at this level; so don’t tell me it can’t be done with forwards and centers.  Teams in lesser leagues seem to be able to attract talented players with the size and strength to play in the A-10; so maybe you have to target the right guys. Jackie and Primo were evidently the right guys for Duquesne.

1/15/2022 9:23 am  #17

This comment illustrates that Dambrot is not the right coach for Duquesne at this time. When he first got here, he was going to change the culture and compete for championships. Well you are not going to compete for championships without the competitive spirit to go against the upper teams in recruiting. The school has given this coach every resource to be successful. They have even stated, once we get to selling out the coop, we will move our bigger games to PPG arena (like most of the Big East schools do). This board gives this coach more excuses of why he has not been successful. In recruiting, players select schools based on many factors, but the most important one is their relationship with the coaching staff. Many on this board originally stated how his relationship with LeBron was going to get us players, then it was the new uniforms, brand and logos, then it was the newly refurbished athletic facilities. Now the coach is basically admitting he can not out recruit certain programs in the A-10. Do you think Ed Cooley at Providence and Kevin Willard at Seton Hall felt that way when they took their jobs going against Villanova and other top Big East teams. Why is Rick Pitino turning the corner at Iona at a lower level conference and inferior facilities ? Why the excuse of the new landscape of college basketball and transfers , when St Bonnies and Richmond have had the same lineups for the last four years. Or, Bob Mckillop at Davidson is able to adjust losing three starters to transfer and he is 71 years young. Please quit  giving our coach excuses and expect him to produce at the million dollar price tag they we are paying him,

1/15/2022 11:15 am  #18

This is a very interesting thread; many posters with valid but differing opinions.

I have too a hard time getting past the amateurish, BS nature of KD's comments to join the recruiting discussion.

Good news-this team is getting better in several significant ways

Bad news-in-game coaching isn't one of them

1/15/2022 11:43 am  #19

I must be in the minority here, but personally I’m struggling to find the issue in these comments. How can Duquesne compete with Dayton when it comes to a particular recruit? You can be the best recruiter/salesman  in the world but their tradition and fanbase are incomparable to what we have. Seems like sensible self-awareness and usage of time, energy, and resources to me.

This has nothing to do with our ability to compete with them on the court.

1/15/2022 12:08 pm  #20

I too question some of the comments regarding recruiting in regard to Dayton on the board. If there is one team in the conference that I could see moving up to the next level, say the Big East, it would be Dayton. They are big time in almost every way. They have had solid coaching, they have a tremendous facility to play in, and a big time mentality from many years of success.  Pretty darn tough to consistently compete with in the recruiting wars for any A-10 team.  The reason they always show up at or near the top of the conference year after year. No doubt that KD generally speaks what's on his mind and he certainly did so here for whatever reason. Definitely a bit unorthodox but not too unusual for KD. I will leave it at that.

1/15/2022 2:19 pm  #21

THANK YOU Wildwood and Levon!! For those of you who believe KD and his staff are doing as good a job as possible please re-read their posts.  Wildwood I especially appreciate the relevant facts you reference.  This isn't football where u need a lot of players and recruiting cycles to raise a program, just ask Narduzzi.  Go after better recruits and if your staff can't get any then look in the mirror.  I am tired of the excuses given all the advantages that our school has given KD.  By the way, look what Dayton's talented freshman-laden roster just did to us.

1/15/2022 4:53 pm  #22

And here is something else to chew on, the Bonnies manage to get very good players in that hotbed area of excitement called Olean, NY!!!! Good grief, please KD enough with the excuses. Year 5 and this coaching staff has not got it done on the recruiting front, simple as that, and I don't even think Dambrot cares anymore.  The problem is he is making a lot of coin and I am guessing Harper will let him play out his contract.  The good news is despite the talent gap we have a 6'8" PG coming in next year to save us............oops, he is only 5'7"!!! .  

1/15/2022 6:11 pm  #23

I'll chime in here...this was an immature comment.  Maybe they aren't coming because you can't recruit well enough!  Look in a mirror KD.

1/17/2022 7:55 am  #24

Ironduke81 wrote:

I hope Dambrot was sandbagging just like Big Ben for the Steelers against K.C. Dukes 3 1/2 dogs. Taking the Dukes against Flyer nation. Levon thanks for the tip👍

Sorry Iron; I don’t think any of us realized how bad this one would look.  What a difference a year made in regard to the talent differential between the two teams.  After beating Dayton last year; the gap in talent right now appears to be huge!  Anthony Grant certainly had a big recruiting year after the big year two years ago!

1/17/2022 10:03 am  #25

A83 wrote:

What bothers me most about the quote is the “even during my days at Akron” part. While I would rather the coach not state it so clearly and publicly, we aren’t comparable to Dayton. It doesn’t mean we don’t even try to compete with them, but they are clearly a better program in basically every way. Saying we aren’t even as strong a program as Akron is embarrassing though.

They play in a 5,500 seat arena. They were in the Mid-Continent Conference as recently as 1992 and even now aren’t in a conference as good as the A-10. They have never been ranked in the history of the AP poll. If you take away Dambrot’s tenure, they’ve only ever made one NCAA tournament and two NITs and lost all three games. Since he left they’ve won 60% of their games compared to our 58%. That is the program he seemingly is saying Duquesne is below in the pecking order.

Last edited by luckymcd (1/17/2022 10:15 am)

Board footera