Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2022 2:31 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Dayton Flyers (H)

Phil,
I can't you believe you said that! I  just said that there was no way KD would show up.  He and the AD should be embarrassed.  KD saying all year that we were young.  Hey Dambrot, go look at the freshman and sophomores Dayton plays.  We lose, the head coach doesn't have the fortitude to show up on Ray's radio program again...and he sends someone else.  What a shame.  Dambrot is inching toward the record of the guy he replaced.

1/15/2022 2:52 pm  #27

We need a true point guard.Too much 1 pass and shoot.JD calls it right,swing the ball and let the opponent
work longer on defense.Inside out the way KD likes.I just dont think the talent level is all that great.I think
Dambrot is a good coach but recruiting not so great and Dayton recruiting on another level.This program is in trouble.You just cant recruit a 5-9 2 guard.A big liability on defense.

1/15/2022 2:58 pm  #28

I see 4 more wins on the schedule.

1/15/2022 3:05 pm  #29

The program has lost its energy.2 years ago it seemed promising but losing players transferring out and bringing in a new team. The new transfer situation is tough on a school like Duquesne.Its tough selling
Duquesne to top transfers.Most never heard of Duquesne and you come in and look at a very small arena
that never gets filled unless Bona and Dayton bring their fans.This program is weak.Poorly supported
by fans.

1/15/2022 3:11 pm  #30

scduke wrote:

I see 4 more wins on the schedule.

I like this exercise. My guess is 6 more wins.

1/15/2022 3:12 pm  #31

Nothing really changes and the 35 million dollars to renovate doesnt make a big difference.A big change
a big difference would be a brand new 70 million dollar 6,000 seat arena.Dukes wont be good until Pittsburgh
high schools start producing Division 1 talent and the Duquesne community comes out and supports team.
I dont see it happening,Pittsburgh not a college basketball town.

1/15/2022 3:19 pm  #32

Stew, When Dixon coached at Pitt and they won, they filled the Pete.  Now, they are as bad as Duquesne.  If we would ever have a coach that can recruit good players, that will turn into wins and the Cooper will be filled.  Dambrot is a Division I coach but can only recruit MAC players.  He has not fulfilled the goal of getting us to a tournament and this year will be the same.  After next year, again...try to find a coach who can recruit AND coach.

1/15/2022 3:20 pm  #33

Maybe a guy like Pitino could pull Duquesne out of the abyss.Best move might be moving Dukes to a 
lesser conference .Duquesne lacks fan support and going to the MAAC  playing schools similar schools
that have worse facilities and poor fan support like Duquesne.

1/15/2022 3:29 pm  #34

We have been waiting almost 50 years for a return to glory.Not going to happen,the bus has left Duquesne.
Pivotal point was not joining Big East Conference. Not enough people care about Duquesne and rightfully so
after all the knuckleheads Nesti,Hogan,Amodio among the long list of goofs  misguiding Duquesne into the
abyss.

1/15/2022 3:38 pm  #35

Its always been about finding that right coach who can recruit every 5-6 years.Its a revolving door with no end
in sight.Duquesne doesnt get a sniff from any top 200 hs prospect.1970 is a long time ago,there is no Ed Searcy situation where Dukes sign 2nd rated hs prospect.You really think anyone is drawn by renovated
fieldhouse.? 3,500 seats,come on! 3,500 seats that never get filled.

1/15/2022 3:43 pm  #36

How is it possible that JJ3 only gets 5 shots, most on unlikely drives?  Open looks?  Never.   Passing is terrible.  Manning had a keep away drill:  half court, starters v second team, no dribbling, no shooting, keep it for a set time and starters get a point, turn it over and the other team scores.  No dribbling, all passing.  And learn a zone; show them something different.

1/15/2022 3:44 pm  #37

I was shocked when I was at game for Rider.1500 empty seats first game.Just embarrassingly weak.

1/15/2022 3:51 pm  #38

Red Manning could not win at Duquesne in 2022.

1/15/2022 4:05 pm  #39

Manning recruited Western PA.and eastern Ohio.When the mills closed people left the area and its pretty
dry recruiting this area.The better players want to play against better players,they are are looking at
schools where they can make money and want to play for coaches who get players in NBA. Most
players ,a education is less important,playing time and the lack of it means transfer. Its a very difficult
situation at Duquesne.

1/15/2022 4:14 pm  #40

Go to the MAAC with the intent to win championships.Winning championships in A10 is a dream.I want to win
period.

1/15/2022 4:52 pm  #41

Red Manning could not win at DU.  Very true as he’s dead.  However, that could get asses in the seats, and think of the TV!   And the mill’s didn’t close in Olean NY.  Saw mills maybe.

1/15/2022 5:28 pm  #42

No contest today and for the foreseeable future between these two teams!  Just sad that we wasted 5-6-7 more years with this staff.  It is probably time to decide if you really want to buck-up and get a legitimate coach; or drop down to a lower level.  This is just throwing good money after bad.

1/15/2022 5:58 pm  #43

So post-game the coach complains about players taking quick and bad shots; ok no doubt that is true; but in 5-years of Dambrot his half-court offense is pathetic!  Dayton just played man with an occasional 2-2-1 press; but that wasn’t a factor.  Dayton took a cue from Fordham and got up in the face of Duquesne and again Dambrot had no answer!  Does this team ever run back door cuts when teams get in their face?  No! No screen and rolls, no motion away from the ball; just reliant on a guard taking guys off the dribble!  Guess what; that doesn’t work when teams just help on defense to stop the dribble-drive.

1/15/2022 6:12 pm  #44

stew wrote:

We need a true point guard.Too much 1 pass and shoot.JD calls it right,swing the ball and let the opponent
work longer on defense.Inside out the way KD likes.I just dont think the talent level is all that great.I think
Dambrot is a good coach but recruiting not so great and Dayton recruiting on another level.This program is in trouble.You just cant recruit a 5-9 2 guard.A big liability on defense.

1/15/2022 6:13 pm  #45

Dambrot has thus far failed.  After next year...and we still need to give him that last year, we need again...another coach...someone who can Recruit And Coach.

1/15/2022 6:20 pm  #46

FAM wrote:

Dambrot has thus far failed.  After next year...and we still need to give him that last year, we need again...another coach...someone who can Recruit And Coach.

It comes down to the recruiting. He can't sniff a legitimate big guy. The big guy from Dayton was killing us. Then look at the Fordham game, same thing. I like Tre Williams but I never bought Dambrot's claim that he was better than Michael Hughes. The 5 year plan hasn't succeeded

1/15/2022 6:55 pm  #47

levon1975 wrote:

No contest today and for the foreseeable future between these two teams! Just sad that we wasted 5-6-7 more years with this staff. It is probably time to decide if you really want to buck-up and get a legitimate coach; or drop down to a lower level. This is just throwing good money after bad.

Yep. Said it a month ago and was bashed on this board. Got to hire a young progressive coach who knows the X's and O's of today's game who can relate to today's players and who can find a diamond in the rough or just a need when it come's to recruiting. Not rocket science. Plenty of very good assistants at mid major and power schools that would jump at the opportunity for a lot less $ than this guy has been paid. Chuck Cooper must be shaking his head somewhere. Also, plenty of 2nd assistants on solid coaching staffs that would have done a much better job coaching this team. There is talent, but it's wasted on an "old school" coach which he loves to call himself. I think either of the Thomas brothers would have made better head coaches than Dambrot, but they may die on the vine because of this guy. They seemed much more articulate and knowledgeable in post game press conferences than KD. Whatever. Just need to get rid of this guy.

1/15/2022 7:13 pm  #48

The one thing that KD has said consistently that I agree with is that this is his most talented team at DU. Tre, Easley, Primo, Ayers, JJ, Acuff, Rotroff, Okani, & Hima comprise far & away the most talented, highest upside group we have seen from this regime and the last.

I sincerely believe there is enough talent & size on this team to finish in the 9th-7th range in the A-10 this year. 9-9 is doable. As long as the team finishes much stronger than it started, I could live with that based on having so much of the roster turned over, their general lack of D-1 experience, experience playing together, & the perpetually injured Rotroff. These modest goals are still achievable. Achieving them would be a surprise for all pundits & participants concerned with the A-10 while projecting well for next season.

I do not have confidence that there is enough coaching in this program to make this happen. I don't feel strongly enough to write that the coaching staff is totally incapable of pulling this off but, their past performance indicates that kind of systemic success is a bit of a longshot.

I sincerely believe there is enough talent & size in this program right now to finish in the 6th-4th range in the A-10 next year. I do not have confidence that there is enough coaching in this program to keep this core around for next season, develop/keep healthy/add a 6'9" or better big that makes an immediate/significant contribution, bring the offense into the 21st century, & have 8-10 mature, disciplined, A-10 quality players in its rotation.

Feeling this way after almost 5 seasons leads me to believe that the possibility of this coaching staff making more serious, sustainable improvements to the program is now quite low. Are there other posters that see this dramatically differently?

None of this commentary has anything to do with today's game specifically. That was a superior, deeper, more healthy, much bigger team that shot the lights out. This is just my take on what this staff has achieved since April of 2017.

Last edited by phil95 (1/15/2022 7:16 pm)

1/15/2022 8:03 pm  #49

Here we are in year 5 of Dambrot, and we are struggling to not finish in the bottom of the League.  I don't think many of us expected to be in this position when he was hired, and certainly not after DU finished with 21 wins in year 3.  Sadly, Phil and Levon I agree with your comments on Dambrot.  Maybe, he can turn it around this year and still have a winning season, but I seriously doubt it.   Also, his biggest recruiting problem (except for big men) is not finding competitive players, it is keeping them and having to constantly rebuild.  I expect we will see more of the same at season end.

1/15/2022 10:09 pm  #50

Duq wants to be elite academic school, join the Patriot conference.   Can move football team there too.   Actually play a football game v an opponent people heard of before.  We arent A10 level bball program, men or women.

Last edited by townsonkid (1/15/2022 10:10 pm)

Board footera