Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2022 2:23 am  #1

Where are all you Dambrot believers

I have been posting on this board for three and a half years that Dambrot is out of his league in this conference . I have been ridiculed by many of you!!! His recruiting is atrocious, his player relationships are non existent, his game planning is ridiculous and his in game coaching is terrible. Please let me see you defend this con artist that has bilked Duquesne out of 5 million dollars the past five years. Please show your faces as you know who you are !! It is year 5 of the Dambrot years and we are still at the bottom of the pack. Quit with the blaming of the administration, the facilities, Covid and any other lame duck dexcuses you come up with for Dambrot. Other coaches in this country have accomplished more with lesser facilities, administrative support and lesser fertile grounds to recruit in. The administration has done more for this coach than any previous coach in the history of Duquesne basketball. Please admit the failures of Dambrot. I know we have him for another year, but at 63 years old, they don’t have me for another year. As I, like most reasonable fans, and am moving on from this ridiculous situation. That is why this board is down to about 20 posters and we are lucky if we have 1,000 Duquesne fans at a game. It’s a shame and it can be done, but it now will take a stroke of magic to get the goal we all desire. I also will add he his a classless act for not showing up for post game analysis with Ray and JD. Dambrot is a bigger loser than any coach in the past because of his actions.

1/16/2022 9:25 am  #2

Re: Where are all you Dambrot believers

I’m still here. Sometimes you have to take a step backwards to go forwards. Progress isn’t always straight up, no matter how much we would want it to be considering our plight through the basketball desert. That game certainly wasn’t encouraging, but I have no doubts that if this group stays together and adds a couple pieces, they could take a serious jump. It’s easy to lose sight of the big picture when we are as invested as we are in this program and have been through what we have been through, but let’s take a step back here before we pull out our pitchforks.

In the last three years in the A10, the Dukes have gone 7-7, 11-7, and 10-8. That is 3 of our top 5 best records dating back to the early 90s. Let’s not forget that this was also in the midst of having no home court with the exception of two games last year.

1/16/2022 9:29 am  #3

I, for one, am still here - maybe more of a supporter than a believer.  I don't deny some of your statements about making excuses and I am not enough of a "basketball mind" to criticize the coaching but there have been moments ( as there have been and will continue to be for ANY coach).  Especially after losses.  But two short seasons ago, we entered the not to be A10 tournament with 21 wins and everyone couldn't get enough of Dambrot.  There are things for sure I wish he had not said (or did) but there are reasons for everything.  Excusable?  Perhaps not.  He has a job to do and admittedly the results do not meet our expectations, like him or not.  Knowing him personally, I err on the side of at least some sympathy for all he has endured that past couple months.  Yes, he could have worked through all that better but to compare him unvfavorably to some of the disastrous coaching of the past 40 or so years is not borne out by results.  So your are 63?  Well, I am 72 so I get it.  Winning 21 games two years ago was wonderful.  I don't have solutions, but one solution many have I will not subscribe two and that is condemnation and attacks on this  man.  If he does not work out, he is, unfortunately, the most recent of many and by all means certainly not the worst.  I will just stay the course and hope things get better.  Not much else I can do.  Slanderous and cutting remarks are not in my DNA.  Deserved criticisms are.  Respectfully, a Duquesne grad and fan that refuses to quit.  

1/16/2022 10:17 am  #4

My take on KD
If the pandemic never happened then I agree he did not live up to  expectations.
But the pandemic did happen. We will never know what could have been in that
21-9 year.
The transfer portal and NIL added to the challenge of having a good team
Back to the pandemic.  Coaches and players sick and probably of great effect
drop in student attendance which leads to loss of revenue.
I doubt if Harper will fire KD because of the money situation. He made extend his contract for another 
year without a pay increase because of the loss of revenue. Cheaper than a payout and hiring a 
new coach.
I wrote before that the medical school is in candidate status in the accreditation process. It will
open fall 2024. No delays no money issues the real university priority not necessarily the mbb.
It is frustrating but that is life.

1/16/2022 10:50 am  #5

Well, as has been pointed out before on this board, when we bring in coach after coach and all meet with less than successful results, where does the problem lie? As kcc173 stated, 2 years ago KD won 21 games and it was wonderful. KD was the toast of the town for accomplishing such a quick turnaround here. Now less than 2 years later he is vilified for his lack of ability and characterized as a con artist. Maybe just a bit harsh? It may well turn out that KD might not meet our expectations of success. I really don't know. This past year he basically did a 180 degree turnaround and brought in almost a whole new team. While the results have been less than spectacular, I'm willing to give this "new beginning" a chance. Next year will tell the tale for me. If the staff can bring in the missing parts (a stud 5) and integrate all the players into a cohesive unit, problem solved. If not then it may be time to seek a better option to head up this program. I never even advocated for JF to be fired here as that is just not in me. That will be left up to those who make such decisions. I do know that there is a very fine line between winning and losing and one player can make that difference. Let's support this coaching staff and team and see where things go for the remainder of the season and into year six. That's what I plan to do and truly hope that my patience will be rewarded. GO DUKES!

1/16/2022 11:09 am  #6

I think Keith is a good coach,his coaching career record shows that and he didnt get stupid over night.The team with best talent usually wins games and the Dukes dont have the talent this year.Duquesne is a tough
sell and good players dont want to play before the pathetic  fan support here.

1/16/2022 11:15 am  #7

Duquesne younger alumni arent interested in basketball,most students dont care and players feel unappreciated.It would be challenging for any coach to come to Duquesne and win.

1/16/2022 11:21 am  #8

You put 3,500 fans in seats and you get a really nice atmosphere and suddenly the program has energy
and interest in Duquesne basketball. Duquesne opens up their renovated fieldhouse to 1500 empty seats.
Harper and the athletic department should be fired.A passionate athletic dept. makes sure their are fans
in stands for that opening night.

1/16/2022 11:25 am  #9

That Rider game is a microcosm of what ails Duquesne basketball.No fans no passion= losing teams.

1/16/2022 11:37 am  #10

I'm more a fan than a technical basketball expert so I can't comment on KD's coaching. We do have a nice-looking place but it's small. It's too early to tell how attractive it is for recruits, but if it isn't, that's another administrative miscalculation, not KD's. I do think KD should be interviewed by Ray and Jarrett after every game. After all, the questions wouldn't be hardball. And I agree he could take more responsibility for a loss. And if his language is profane, it isn't working. But I think he wants to win and would like some evidence that he's a "con man." That means he misrepresented himself. Didn't we try to hire him twice? If he fooled Duquesne, there was plenty of time to figure that out.

1/16/2022 12:05 pm  #11

I think things are pretty simple at times.  One needs to look at concrete evidence.  In my opinion, a winning NCAA Division I basketball coach, no matter what the circumstances (because all coaches have them), are evaluated on 3 factors.
1.  Wins
2.  Losses
3. Making it to the NIT or NCAA tournament

Though not very decisive, as of today, he has more wins than losses but again, not a lot more.  In terms of #3, he has not done that.  Is he a failure?  Probably not.  Is he a success?  Probably not.  If I had to grade Dambrot he would earn a "C minus".  I also agree he will be permitted to finish next year, and then we will see what will happen after that.  But I am tired of excuses for him made by him or made by others.
1.  The pandemic - Guess what, he wasn't alone
2.  Young team - Look at Dayton, they were younger than us.
3.. Kids having to play together who didn't before.  See #2.
4.  The students don't come out.  IF they would win, they would come out!!!!!!!!!
5.  Recruiting - Guess who is in charge of recruiting Keith - YOU.  If you can't recruit against Dayton then you aren't good enough in that area.

He has the facilities now, a good recruiting budget, support from the AD and President, and more.

Grade:  C -

1/16/2022 12:08 pm  #12

He is a good coach,and KD was a great hire as nobody wanted the job.To say hes a con man,ridiculous.
The incident that happened at Eastern Michigan with the n-word hurt his coaching career.Dambrot had
the resume that he would have gotten a shot coaching in Big TEN.Political correctness cost him a Big Ten job.The job he did at Akron was outstanding,

1/16/2022 12:17 pm  #13

Since Manning retired Duquesne has had 10 coaches. Their combined record is 525-730, with 1 NCAA tournament appearance and 4 NITs. In 13 seasons at Akron Dambrot won 305 games and went to 3 NCAAs and 5 NITs. I’m not sure if that makes me a Dambrot believer. If it does, so be it. But it does make me realize the problems have been much deeper than the coach. 

Incidentally, 99 of DU’s wins and 1 of the NITs were under Everhart. My suspicion is that some of those in the Dambrot is a con club probably thought  Everhart couldn’t recruit and believed they knew more about coaching than he did. 

Last edited by SteelBowl (1/16/2022 12:17 pm)

1/16/2022 12:21 pm  #14

The best player in the last 40years is Aaron Jackson and when St.Louis came into town for the last home game to honor him Palumbo was half full.The Dukes were a good team,they lost in championship game
to Temple and Jackson,Saunders were fantastic,fan support pathetic except for Xaiver game.

1/16/2022 12:34 pm  #15

SteelBowl wrote:

Since Manning retired Duquesne has had 10 coaches. Their combined record is 525-730, with 1 NCAA tournament appearance and 4 NITs. In 13 seasons at Akron Dambrot won 305 games and went to 3 NCAAs and 5 NITs. I’m not sure if that makes me a Dambrot believer. If it does, so be it. But it does make me realize the problems have been much deeper than the coach. 

Incidentally, 99 of DU’s wins and 1 of the NITs were under Everhart. My suspicion is that some of those in the Dambrot is a con club probably thought  Everhart couldn’t recruit and believed they knew more about coaching than he did. 

It's kind of strange that no one mentions that Everhart did win here and did fill up this arena and played big games in the PPG arena?  Everhart's  fast pace style of play attracts players that are used to high scoring games. Dambroth's offense is slow and like this last game in the second half, the Dukes were wasting clock with this half court style, though they were 20 points behind. Spears even got a 10 sec. violation, since he walks the ball up the court so slow? Dayton's offense had everyone in motion continuously, while the Dukes seem to be motionless except for the ball handler.  Not that hard to defend against.

1/16/2022 1:25 pm  #16

Good points FAM and Napa.  I am calmer today, but I do agree with your grade FAM.  I will say it again, its not about the X's and O's, its about the Jimmy's and the Joe's and this is where KD and staff come up short - literally and figuratively.  There have been no shakeups with this staff, which leads to staleness in my opinion.  It all boils down to recruiting and I think this staff needs an injection of a super salesman/recruiter, period.   

1/16/2022 2:05 pm  #17

His failure to do the post-game show after losses is no big deal for me.  As long as an assistant does the show; It’s fine with me. 

We should probably focus more on the other coaching issues that you have accurately addressed in your post.

Unless something changes, after countless years of frustration and failure, I am out; and will not renew my tickets.

1/16/2022 2:17 pm  #18

PistolPete wrote:

Good points FAM and Napa.  I am calmer today, but I do agree with your grade FAM.  I will say it again, its not about the X's and O's, its about the Jimmy's and the Joe's and this is where KD and staff come up short - literally and figuratively.  There have been no shakeups with this staff, which leads to staleness in my opinion.  It all boils down to recruiting and I think this staff needs an injection of a super salesman/recruiter, period.   

I think the talent is there. I think the defense is there. But if Dambroth doesn't get more aggressive on offense, then I don't see him winning that much.  Jackie comes in and starts scoring right away, and Dambroth benches him?  Jackie was clearly the fastest player on the court, for either team and just by his quickness makes things happen. Dambroth for some reason doesn't see that potential. Dambroth's teams have almost zero transition points, doesn't get the opponent in foul trouble from aggressive plays to the hoop, and on defense, no traps, no steals, no full court pressure. I'd like to see more out of this team, and I think they would be more successful if they picked up the pace and get more aggressive. 

1/16/2022 2:23 pm  #19

PistolPete wrote:

I strongly disagree with your comment on Xs and O’s.  One of the biggest disappointments I’ve had with Dambrot is his lack of half-court offensive flow.  Even with his better teams it has been poor.  Even after time-outs our team looks confused on offense.  If the team had superior talent they might be better able to take guys off the dribble and score; but good teams will shut that down quickly. I see little motion, no back door cuts, and not much in the way of screening.

Last edited by levon1975 (1/16/2022 2:30 pm)

1/16/2022 2:43 pm  #20

levon1975 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

I strongly disagree with your comment on Xs and O’s. One of the biggest disappointments I’ve had with Dambrot is his lack of half-court offensive flow. Even with his better teams it has been poor. Even after time-outs our team looks confused on offense. If the team had superior talent they might be better able to take guys off the dribble and score; but good teams will shut that down quickly. I see little motion, no back door cuts, and not much in the way of screening.

I agree. Not enough movement, no back door cuts, which for instance, Jackie can penetrate and score from his quickness, but also can penetrate and dish backdoor with that speed, but no plays setup for that to happen. Thus no assist,

1/16/2022 10:08 pm  #21

1/16/2022 10:25 pm  #22

I support the coach. Calling him a con artist is inappropriate because it demeans his character, which he does not deserve. Clearly he is trying his best. The loss on Saturday stings, so it is easy to jump on him now. I agree that there are areas that need improvement. Our offense lacked flow especially when compared to the Flyers. We need at least one big if not two. Our young players need to mature. That said, there is a nucleus here that can lead to a good team in the A10 with some additions. I believe most have made up their minds on this issue so the debate is probably not worthwhile.

1/17/2022 2:31 pm  #23

Fair point Levon and Napa, but I would say that talent trumps coaching overall even though the issues you raise are valid.

1/17/2022 2:33 pm  #24

pressurecooker wrote:

I support the coach. Calling him a con artist is inappropriate because it demeans his character, which he does not deserve. Clearly he is trying his best. The loss on Saturday stings, so it is easy to jump on him now. I agree that there are areas that need improvement. Our offense lacked flow especially when compared to the Flyers. We need at least one big if not two. Our young players need to mature. That said, there is a nucleus here that can lead to a good team in the A10 with some additions. I believe most have made up their minds on this issue so the debate is probably not worthwhile.

I too think the con artist label is inaccurate & too cynical for my taste. However, KD has earned himself some criticism on this front by peddling some easily disproven BS. 
Based on the statements below, KD is either really stupid or full of crap. I think KD is a very intelligent man.

-"Davis Larson is one of the best players on this team."
-"This is my best team at Duquesne."
-"Jackie Johnson  is one of the best shooters in America. He may be the best shooter in America." ( I love JJ & want him to be a lifetime Duke. He is a great shooter & certainly could become one of the best shooters in America. However, at this time, this is a truly ridiculous statement by KD.)
--We listened for 4 years while KD told us how "young" his DU teams have been. Now those same players are referred to as "old guys" in press conferences when being compared to this year's team.
-"We aren't getting any points down low, well a little. For 2 years it was easy. We just threw it inside to Mike Hughes." MH played 3 seasons at DU. His career average is 10.8 points per game. The most he ever scored was 11.2 per game in his first year. Tre is currently averaging 10.6. Tre is also averaging more blocks & rebounds than MH did his first year while shooting the exact same crap percentage from the FT line.
-"For the last 15 years my teams have played inside out." If he is using the traditional definition where stellar inside play has led to success for perimeter shooters, which game films has he been watching for the last 4.5 seasons.? 

1/17/2022 2:45 pm  #25

pressurecooker wrote:

I support the coach.  The loss on Saturday stings, so it is easy to jump on him now. I agree that there are areas that need improvement. Our offense lacked flow especially when compared to the Flyers. We need at least one big if not two. O

No, they lost to a more talented team. The Fordham loss sticks in my craw the most, as it was 100% on the coaching staff. During that last timeout they players should have been told, "If he misses the first shot, and you don't get the rebound, foul immediately!"  Basketball Coaching 101!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera