Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2022 9:56 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Dayton Flyers (H)

CLK wrote:

Here we are in year 5 of Dambrot, and we are struggling to not finish in the bottom of the League.  I don't think many of us expected to be in this position when he was hired, and certainly not after DU finished with 21 wins in year 3.  Sadly, Phil and Levon I agree with your comments on Dambrot.  Maybe, he can turn it around this year and still have a winning season, but I seriously doubt it.   Also, his biggest recruiting problem (except for big men) is not finding competitive players, it is keeping them and having to constantly rebuild.  I expect we will see more of the same at season end.

CLK just watched the postgame press conference. I cannot disagree with Coach Dambrots analysis & comments in regard to the Dayton game . Yes Rotroff & Gunns injuries limit any team depth. Yes the players got tired in the second half . Yes the guards refuse to share the ball prior to the shot. BUT if your players due to a limited roster are playing a man to man defense can you for once play a zone. Maybe Hima & Rotroff are more comfortable in a zone. The second half defensively was Moses parting the Red Sea for layups. I am losing my patients with the old school BS. If Bob Huggins after taking the WVU job from Coach Beline  refused to listen to his players and went to Coach B 1-3-1 zone from a man WVU would never had made it to the final 4. Coach Dambrot needs to be more flexible based on the current roster limitations.
Stubborn Is stubborn. Unfortunately, I should look at myself upon addressing stubbornness. Following this team is insanity especially when I watch the same mistakes and same lame strategy game after game. Please Coach show some effort in Coaching strategies based upon the current limited roster. Can’t tell me a zone defense would not expand playing time for the bigs & save the entire teams legs in the second half.

1/16/2022 10:30 am  #52

I am onboard with Towson Kid,going to a lesser conference allows Duquesne to compete for championships.
Duquesne isnt getting a sniff from top flight hs talent and I dont care who is hired here the recruiting for
top talent wont be reversed.Dukes need to occasionally get a 4 star .4 stars are attracted to schools that
show up on ESPN regularly,they want to play before big crowds of 13,000 like Dayton and they want to play against talented competition.

1/16/2022 10:40 am  #53

The fan support at Duquesne is pathetic and this notion that when the Dukes start drawing fans they can go to PPG is some sort of unrealistic dream.Pittsburgh isnt interested in mid major basketball,the students
arent interested in watching Fordham,GW,Lasalle,Rhody,St. Joes 

1/16/2022 12:45 pm  #54

stew wrote:

The fan support at Duquesne is pathetic and this notion that when the Dukes start drawing fans they can go to PPG is some sort of unrealistic dream.Pittsburgh isnt interested in mid major basketball,the students
arent interested in watching Fordham,GW,Lasalle,Rhody,St. Joes 

Win first, then the fans will come.  I think Dambroth's style of offense, like Pitt, under Dixon, requires top recruits to out-muscle teams in low scoring games. Dambroth probably will not out recruit top teams for this style of play. 

1/16/2022 1:30 pm  #55

phil95 wrote:

The one thing that KD has said consistently that I agree with is that this is his most talented team at DU. Tre, Easley, Primo, Ayers, JJ, Acuff, Rotroff, Okani, & Hima comprise far & away the most talented, highest upside group we have seen from this regime and the last.

Agreed, and they showed signs of coming together in the Irivine, UMass and Fordham games (the last loss was 100% on the coaching staff), and they can continue to learn and maybe finish .500 or so in the League (oh joy, lowered expectations again).

However, if there is a mass of transfers again this spring, then it's over!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/16/2022 5:24 pm  #56

1/16/2022 8:15 pm  #57

Tejas_Duke wrote:

phil95 wrote:

The one thing that KD has said consistently that I agree with is that this is his most talented team at DU. Tre, Easley, Primo, Ayers, JJ, Acuff, Rotroff, Okani, & Hima comprise far & away the most talented, highest upside group we have seen from this regime and the last.

Agreed, and they showed signs of coming together in the Irivine, UMass and Fordham games (the last loss was 100% on the coaching staff), and they can continue to learn and maybe finish .500 or so in the League (oh joy, lowered expectations again).

Its not who is leaving, its more like why in the world would you stay?! Sad.

However, if there is a mass of transfers again this spring, then it's over and I think Dambrot shoudl resign.

Last edited by townsonkid (1/17/2022 9:56 am)

Board footera