Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2022 5:42 pm  #1

Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (H)

7:00pm EST tip on Friday 01/21/2022 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #210 (6-9; 1-2 A-10) vs St. Bonaventure Bonnies #81 (10-4; 2-1 A-10)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 6, 72-66 - Dukes with 32% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 5 point underdogs; Over/Under 138
Duquesne 6-9 Against the Spread: St. Bonaventure 4-9-1 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): UC Irvine (109); Bradley (116); UMass (156)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Northeastern (229); Marshall (203); Fordham (200)
St. Bonaventure Best Win(s): Marquette (39); Boise St. (50; Clemson (66)
St. Bonaventure Worst Loss(es): Northern Iowa (104); Dayton (70); Virginia Tech (31)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Turnover % (38)  
Offensive Weakness: None
Defensive Strength: FT Rate (13); Offensive Rebound % (75)
Defensive Weakness: Turnover % (282)

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  FT Rate (1); Turnover % (3); Offensive Rebound % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (12)
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (1); Offensive Rebound % (4)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Turnover % (44); Offensive Rebound % (88)
Offensive Weakness: FT Rate (329); Effective FG % (261)
Defensive Strength: FT Rate (21)
Defensive Weakness: Offensive Rebound % (274); Effective FG % (262)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (14)
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (12)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
St. Bonaventure Adj Offense Efficiency - 110.3; 51 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 104.9; 217 in D-1
St. Bonaventure Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.4; 119 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 101.9; 192 in D-1
St. Bonaventure Adj Tempo - 65.9; 298 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 66.6; 260 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - St. Bonaventure 2.63 yrs; 18 in D-1; Dukes 0.77 yrs; 354 in D-1
Average Height - St. Bonaventure 77.3"; 115 in D-1; Dukes 77.1"; 145 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 229th in the country.
St. Bonaventure is 115th in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid2=4391&tid1=381&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

1/21/2022 8:26 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (H)

Two articles this week in the Tribune on Duquesne/Dambrot.   Kind of same old words.  What I didn’t like is Dambrot’s insistence on how hard the job is and it’s not easy to win at Duquesne.  He got his building, his players,  his coaches, his salary.  If it is hard to win today, that is on the COACH!

1/21/2022 9:05 am  #3

What KD can’t deal with is the state of game currently. Covid drastically restructured the game. If the NCAA didn’t grant everyone an extra year would we have had as many transfers as actually occurred. Now that the “portal” is open it’s crazy. Antonio Daye of Fordham who scored the winning hoop against us hit the portal this morning. Very similar to Carry’s move last year. KD’s obstinance in man to man needs more time to be implemented properly and unfortunately he has been caught short in both man power and timing.

In no way I’m I making excuses for him but sadly at this stage of his career I think the times have taken the fight out of him.

1/21/2022 9:44 am  #4

Dukes 5.5 underdogs. Hard not to bet the Bonnie’s especially without Rotroff. Good news is that the Bonnie’s are 7 deep just like the Dukes. However, Schmidt in my opinion gets 3 points based upon his coaching. Secondly, the Bonnie’s are older, more experienced & definitely play as a well oiled cohesive unit. I hate cheering against the Dukes especially since this is a rare national TV game BUT🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔💰💰💰FanDuel account.

1/21/2022 11:14 am  #5

5.5 is amazing to me.   I would think at least double digits.    SBU played 5-6 guys all of last year too.   They are used to that.   Might catch up with them in March this year, who knows.   I'll throw some $ on SBU, so that increases the Dukes chance of winning :-)

1/21/2022 12:41 pm  #6

FAM wrote:

Two articles this week in the Tribune on Duquesne/Dambrot.   Kind of same old words.  What I didn’t like is Dambrot’s insistence on how hard the job is and it’s not easy to win at Duquesne.  He got his building, his players,  his coaches, his salary.  If it is hard to win today, that is on the COACH!

If it was easy; they wouldn’t have offered him $1-million per year; but why make this point specifically about Duquesne being a tough place to win?  Why not take a few lines of print to list some of the many positive features that Duquesne can offer?  He’s not exactly acting on the best interest of his own program when he makes these comments.  The guy needs a PR man to edit this stuff before it hits the press.

1/21/2022 5:54 pm  #7

I am sure I Missed it....Pgh news tonight said that the game tonight is a Red Out.  Did anyone get an email?  Maybe I did and deleted it by accident.

1/21/2022 7:27 pm  #8

This game was lost before it even started. Dambrot's exudes absolutely no confidence in his team and can't coach. That's pretty obvious at this point. Get out of the way and let the kids run up and down the court. At least they'll lose on their own terms.

1/21/2022 7:50 pm  #9

Missed the first part of this game. Figured we were losing because I saw Rayrich posted. Decent end to the half. Really need to attack them when Ossuniyi goes to the bench.  Not sure how that wasn’t a goaltend to end the half.

1/21/2022 8:09 pm  #10

CityDuke wrote:

Missed the first part of this game. Figured we were losing because I saw Rayrich posted. Decent end to the half. Really need to attack them when Ossuniyi goes to the bench. Not sure how that wasn’t a goaltend to end the half.

I post when we win also, which isn't often. Ossuniyi goes to the bench about 3 minutes a game, so you might want to attack him when he's in the game as well. Use your body, create contact, go to the line. Basic fundamental basketball. The guy weighs 200 pounds soaking wet. Not exactly Bill Russell. Looks like he's on his way to another 20 rebound performance against the Dukes.

1/21/2022 9:09 pm  #11

I just have to wonder out loud how big a difference RG Gunn would make this year. I really don't know the answer but he would be nice to have in the mix. So would a stud 5! Ossuniyi would look so good in red and blue. A bonafide stud!  

1/21/2022 9:43 pm  #12

Though we lost,  the kids were competitive the second half and played well.  We had no one to match their big guy.  There were a lot of backdoor cuts on our part and drives to the hoop.  I though Dambrot did a good job and it appeared that the assistants were providing input.  Also, the crowd and students were a blast.  It was a positive college atmosphere for the Dukes.

1/21/2022 10:21 pm  #13

Awesome atmosphere tonight!  Students were out in force and having a great time.  Hope they come back.  The guys played well.  Again a big/power forward short of a load.  Osunniyi just kills us.  21/17 is crazy.  His follow dunks is such a back breaker.  Bona had a whole section behind their bench but I think they were maybe a little nervous and the students drowned them out.  Dukes worked it in more in second half.  Tre had a nice game at 15/11.  Lots of fun but way too many not wearing masks.

1/22/2022 8:52 am  #14

Wonder if Jackie Johnson was injured. Dukes really could have used his offense.  Nice looking crowd last night. Students showed with the help of a 5000 incentive.

1/22/2022 8:55 am  #15

levon1975 wrote:

FAM wrote:

If it was easy; they wouldn’t have offered him $1-million per year; but why make this point specifically about Duquesne being a tough place to win?  Why not take a few lines of print to list some of the many positive features that Duquesne can offer?  He’s not exactly acting on the best interest of his own program when he makes these comments.  The guy needs a PR man to edit this stuff before it hits the press.

Very good points about how these comments are counter productive.

1/22/2022 9:27 am  #16

FAM wrote:

Though we lost,  the kids were competitive the second half and played well.  We had no one to match their big guy.  There were a lot of backdoor cuts on our part and drives to the hoop.  I though Dambrot did a good job and it appeared that the assistants were providing input.  Also, the crowd and students were a blast.  It was a positive college atmosphere for the Dukes.

Great to hear! I watched on TV and felt very positive vibes from the crowd. Thought the Dukes looked about as good in the second half as they have all season. Ran way more sets and defense looked much better. There is no answer for Osunniyi!! A matchup nightmare. That's the missing part here. No disrespect to Tre ever. He's a good basketball player. Put Osunniyi at the 5 and Tre at the 4 for us and we win the A-10 hands down.  Got to get that kind of player!! Just my nickel's worth and GO DUKES!

1/22/2022 10:00 am  #17

A lot to digest here. Dambrot not afraid of the "T" WORD.  Read between the lines. 

1/22/2022 10:15 am  #18

Leon was 4-20 last night and 1-8 from the three.  I went back to check on season stats and to my surprise Leon is the second worse three point shooters among the players who played in all sixteen games only behind Trey Williams.  Leon also has shot the most three point shots by far, and played the most minutes.  I am not trying to get down on the kid, just looking at stats. If you are looking for answers on our inability to score or win close games this could be one.  

2021-2022 Duquesne University Men's Basketball (PDF) - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

1/22/2022 10:17 am  #19

CLK wrote:

A lot to digest here. Dambrot not afraid of the "T" WORD.  Read between the lines. 

Thanks CLK for the video. I guess Mr Obvious strikes again. The T word. Well Coach Dambrot has next year to hit the portal & strike gold.

1/22/2022 11:20 am  #20

Ironduke81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Thanks CLK for the video. I guess Mr Obvious strikes again. The T word. Well Coach Dambrot has next year to hit the portal & strike gold.

The KD B.S. machine strikes again.

Schmidt took over an SBU program in complete disarray. They had won 12 total A-10 games in the 5 years prior to his taking over. That's a lot worse than the Ferry years at DU.

In year 4 they won a CBI game. In year 5, they won the A-10 tournament to go dancing. In year 8 they won the conference regular season. He did this in one of the most difficult places in America to recruit to & with 50 year old crap facilities.

KD's urging the reporters to check Schmidt's first 8 years at SBU is disingenuous or ignorant. You choose.

1/22/2022 11:41 am  #21

Also, Bekelja IS NOT anywhere near the best perimeter defender. Likewise, he is very close to no threat offensively.

Acuff needs every minute KD is thinking of giving Mike & needs plays run for him.

Bekelja should only see the floor in cases of injury, serious foul trouble, & mop-up time. I really like him but, he has not proven to be a player of A-10 caliber. At his best, he is a very good walk-on at this level.

1/22/2022 12:50 pm  #22

Just for the record as I had no idea myself,
Schmid's record thru his first 5 years at SBU was 74-80 with one 20 win season.

1/22/2022 1:12 pm  #23

That record would be just fine with me if the Dukes we're to win the A-10 tourney at the end of this season.

5 years of incremental progress ending in an NCAA appearance; where do I sign-up for that?

1/22/2022 3:01 pm  #24

One thing that Schmidt has had that Dambrot really hasn't is legitimate star players. First it was Andrew Nicholson, remember him? He took the Bonnies from dreadful to somewhat respectable to A10 champions. They went from being dead last in the A10 in Schmidt's first year, to 11th, 8th, 7th and 3rd-place finishes in Nicholson's four years, culminating in an A10 championship and NCAA berth in his senior year, when he was A10 Player of the Year. He was the 19th player taken in the NBA draft that year and spent 5 years in the NBA. 

The Bonnies returned to the A10's second division the next two years (11th and 9th-place finishes), then Jaylen Adams arrived in 2014-15. They finished 6th, 1st, 5th and 2nd in his four years, winning 20+ games the last three years, a regular season championship his second year, and, like Nicholson, made the NCAA tourney in his senior season, when he was, like Nicholson, A10 Player of the Year. He's since spent parts of two seasons in the NBA.

The Lofton-Osunniyi Era began the year after Adams graduated with the Bonnies playing for an A10 championship their freshman year after a 4th-place regular season finish, then winning regular season and conference tourney championships two years later. Both are 2X All-A10 players and Osunniyi has won Defensive Player of the Year and A10 Tourney MVP. They'll remain a top A10 team for as long as those two stay, and they have another year of eligibility left after this season.

Keith simply hasn't had that caliber of player that you can build a program around like Schmidt has had from really his second year at Bonaventure. Whether you fault the recruiting or the player development/retention under Dambrot, that's the reality.

1/22/2022 4:25 pm  #25

From what I saw Bonaventure has regressed.They are not a NCAA tournament team.Osunnvi is normally not
a good shooter,their outside shooting not good enough for some reason.Dukes just stink except for Primo.

Board footera