Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2022 12:23 pm  #1

If it was up to me...

...at this point, being as disappointed as I am with the results so far, my starting lineup for the remainder of the season would be Primo Spears, Jackie Johnson III, Tyson Acuff, Toby Okani & Mounir Hima.

To me, these guys seem to have the most long range upside.  Give them each 25-30 minutes of playing time per game and split the remaining minutes among the rest leaving the chips fall where they may.  Play a fast paced game with pressure defense and perhaps (though doubtful) by A-10 tourney time they can be ready to surprise people and pull off some upsets.  At the least it should give the core players experience and something to build on for next season.  

2/01/2022 12:34 pm  #2

Re: If it was up to me...

I couldn't agree more + Tre Williams - I believe he is only a Sophomore (but not positive with all the transfers).

I think Tre is just constantly getting beat up by Centers who are bigger game in and game out.  Would love to see him play with Hima and Okani on the court at times so he doesn't have to play the 5-spot.

2/01/2022 12:38 pm  #3

Yep. Shake things up. Nothing to lose at this point.

2/01/2022 12:48 pm  #4

I thought Leon looked good in non-conference but he has not stood out for awhile.  I was hoping Easley would have more of an impact than he does.

I love Primo and Jackie.  I am willing to live with their mistakes as long as they get the playing time and experience but then they CANNOT transfer or we are back to square one.

Hima cannot develop sitting on the bench - haven't understood Dambrot saying he likes to play thru a big man but then has a 6'11 - 240 lb Center sitting on the bench until the last game.

2/01/2022 1:01 pm  #5

I'd create team A and team B, team A gets 25 mins/game, B gets 15.   Worst team A player from the last game moves to team B and best from B to A.   Have some assistant coaches grade the game tape.  Urge them to do better.   Reward them for doing so with 10 more minutes playing time.   You go 4 for 20 from the field, you are probably going to be team B.   You block 6 shots, probably team A.   

Gotta do something, anything different than the same old same old.   Its not a perfect plan, but who cares right now.

2/01/2022 1:29 pm  #6

A very interesting thought VBC.  Just a couple of thoughts :

1)  This team, even with everyone available, is offensively challenged. The upside is maybe 70 points. More likely they score in the 60's. The lineup you proposed has 3 non-scorers (at least based on their performance to date). Maybe by pressing they get some open floor scoring that has not manifested itself to date, but who knows.

2) This group would be defensively challenged. It would have a tough time stopping penetration and rebounding at a minimum.

3) About 10 years ago I abandoned the thought of developing, playing for next year. We don't know who will be on the team tomorrow let alone next year. Maximize the wins in the current season. Just my opinion , and I am sure many disagree.

4) This would go against coach D's philosophy. He is a bit inflexible when it comes to in game management - again just my opinion.

Having said all that, the team has to try something different because what they are doing isn't working in the least. What the something is, it's for greater minds than mine to figure out.

2/01/2022 1:34 pm  #7

VBC wrote:

...at this point, being as disappointed as I am with the results so far, my starting lineup for the remainder of the season would be Primo Spears, Jackie Johnson III, Tyson Acuff, Toby Okani & Mounir Hima.

To me, these guys seem to have the most long range upside.  Give them each 25-30 minutes of playing time per game and split the remaining minutes among the rest leaving the chips fall where they may.  Play a fast paced game with pressure defense and perhaps (though doubtful) by A-10 tourney time they can be ready to surprise people and pull off some upsets.  At the least it should give the core players experience and something to build on for next season.  

Bingo👍

2/01/2022 1:45 pm  #8

I read an article in the Trib by Mackell where he interviewed KD and KD was encouraged by Hima.  Apparently, KD also said Hima will continue to play and develop because of the injuries and KD has no choice and KD will have to live with the growing pains/mistakes.  Now I will reiterate that I don't get why earlier in the year when Gunn and Rotroff were both out why Hima was glued to the bench???  I know he needs seasoning, but he absolutely should have gotten at least 5 min or so from the beginning.  Now he will probably get at least 15 and maybe close to 20 even, which would be great.  You just can't teach that kind of size and athleticism.  The kid has a huge wingspan and is coordinated/athletic and can run.  You don't get better without playing and playing is the best way to learn and get meaningful experience.  Tre is only a Sophomore and he can really help against certain size teams, so we should continue to explore his limits.  Can he handle the 4 position in the A-10?  If he could having him and Hima in the middle is a pretty formidable rebounding and rim-protecting tandem. Plus who we are recruiting seems to indicate that more size may be coming our way.

2/01/2022 3:35 pm  #9

The problem I see is that we have inconsistent play from game to game making it difficult to predict who will play well and who will not. Earlier in the year Hima looked lost and I could understand why he was not playing. He stood out against St. Louis and earned more playing time. One can't teach size and if he is getting it, that will bode well. Spears and Johnson need real playing time. They are freshmen and there will be some wonderful moments and some less wonderful. We have to live with that.  As to the others I see varying rotations based on how they are doing. 

2/01/2022 4:29 pm  #10

For me, Tre at center is not the core problem. The problem is that there is no other player on the team with  A-10 level size & skills at the 4 & KD has mismanaged the bench players that can play center. 

Kevin Easley is no 4 man but he has done a decent job faking it. I don't think he gets credit for playing out of position for most of the season. His shortcomings in this role have become more evident against the larger & more skilled frontcourts of the A-10 programs. If he can be moved to SF because there is a real 4  on the roster, that would be a formidable front line. 

How many other 6'7" sophomore SFs averaging 12 & 7 while shooting 42% from 3 (50% over the last 4 games), averaging less than a turnover & more than 1 steal per game are there in the A-10? 

With at least 2 years eligibility left for every member of the threesome & this season's outlook so bleak, I am not sure why you wouldn't try some minutes with Easley, Hima, & Tre. This is a fine time to see if Tre can still do his post damage at the 4 by he & Hima working high low action.

The rim protection & rebounding should be excellent with this group. While it would require a big change defensively from KD's switching/blitzing/hedging/chipping-down defensive scheme, that style has never been particularly well executed for more than 7-9 minutes at a time & other teams have it knocked before the first half is over. Because the lane would be owned by Hima & Tre, I believe that some combination of Easley, JJ, Primo, Acuff, & Ayers could handle the perimeter defense better than they presently do.

I do not like this group for 30 minutes per game or as the starting lineup but, some 5-6 minute stretches at unpredictable times would certainly force the opposition's coach into lineup adjustments. 

2/01/2022 5:50 pm  #11

If it was up to me. My starting lineup would be JJ, Primo, Easley, Williams and Hima.  I would play to their strengths and stay away from their weaknesses both offensively and defensively. Omani and Rotroff (when available) would substitute for Williams and Hima. Acuff and Ayers would substitute for Primo and JJ. Since all these guys are so young, let them play through their mistake and let them grow. I think the fan base could live with that type of approach. Just improve as the year goes along. But this coach can not do it because he is stubborn and wants to win now.  Wether that means play zone , live with players growing pains or the pressure he puts on himself. He has to understand that we may be the most patient fans in the country. But I don’t see the coach changing for no one and the players and fans will suffer as a result of this and we will unfortunately have a mass exodus at the end of the season.

2/01/2022 10:32 pm  #12

Wildwood13 wrote:

If it was up to me. My starting lineup would be JJ, Primo, Easley, Williams and Hima. I would play to their strengths and stay away from their weaknesses both offensively and defensively. Omani and Rotroff (when available) would substitute for Williams and Hima. Acuff and Ayers would substitute for Primo and JJ. Since all these guys are so young, let them play through their mistake and let them grow. I think the fan base could live with that type of approach. Just improve as the year goes along. But this coach can not do it because he is stubborn and wants to win now. Wether that means play zone , live with players growing pains or the pressure he puts on himself. He has to understand that we may be the most patient fans in the country. But I don’t see the coach changing for no one and the players and fans will suffer as a result of this and we will unfortunately have a mass exodus at the end of the season.

Yep. Mass exodus no doubt. All on the coach. This team had potential, but wasn't coached up. Total regression. Too many excuses, the same "old school" BS etc...Bottom line is this guy is not a good coach. This team had real talent in Williams, Lewis, Carry, Weathers, Hughes, and TDM and totally underperformed. That's why those guys transferred out or went pro overseas. The win loss record in Dambrot's one decent season was via a very weak non conference schedule. Let's get this guy out of here already. Make a change now.

2/01/2022 11:12 pm  #13

Ghost had a good point about "worrying about THIS year's record -- some points I would like to make

1)  Players get ONE free pass in the Transfer Portal -  Then if they wish to move again they have to sit out one more year --  Easley, Ayers and Williams have used their free pass --  Are they going to want to sit out another year?  (On a PERSONAL STANDPOINT - I think if a coach leaves EVERYONE should get a free pass that year)

2) As for Hima -- Play him IF you think he can help us win now (It's almost a necessity due to the lack of size)  but don't play him to "worry about his development"

Making a change now???  Louisville did replace the coach in mid season - but the ONLY option is "promoting from within"  Is there really someone on the present staff to hand "the keys to the car" for - for 10 games or so??? --  Could/Would the Interim coach be able/willing to make the type of changes some are advocating for?? 

2/02/2022 7:59 am  #14

phil95 wrote:

For me, Tre at center is not the core problem. The problem is that there is no other player on the team with  A-10 level size & skills at the 4 & KD has mismanaged the bench players that can play center. 

Kevin Easley is no 4 man but he has done a decent job faking it. I don't think he gets credit for playing out of position for most of the season. His shortcomings in this role have become more evident against the larger & more skilled frontcourts of the A-10 programs. If he can be moved to SF because there is a real 4  on the roster, that would be a formidable front line. 

How many other 6'7" sophomore SFs averaging 12 & 7 while shooting 42% from 3 (50% over the last 4 games), averaging less than a turnover & more than 1 steal per game are there in the A-10? 

With at least 2 years eligibility left for every member of the threesome & this season's outlook so bleak, I am not sure why you wouldn't try some minutes with Easley, Hima, & Tre. This is a fine time to see if Tre can still do his post damage at the 4 by he & Hima working high low action.

The rim protection & rebounding should be excellent with this group. While it would require a big change defensively from KD's switching/blitzing/hedging/chipping-down defensive scheme, that style has never been particularly well executed for more than 7-9 minutes at a time & other teams have it knocked before the first half is over. Because the lane would be owned by Hima & Tre, I believe that some combination of Easley, JJ, Primo, Acuff, & Ayers could handle the perimeter defense better than they presently do.

I do not like this group for 30 minutes per game or as the starting lineup but, some 5-6 minute stretches at unpredictable times would certainly force the opposition's coach into lineup adjustments. 

I agree that Tre is definitely not the problem, not by a long shot. Nice foot work around the hoop but he's not an A10 Center. Bench him when he takes a 3. A big C from portal would be nice, a healthy Rotroff and improving Hima probably won't suffice. Yes,play the guys you most want to retain, Spears, JJ, Acuff, Tre and probably Easley, in addition to obviously getting Hima time.

Last edited by wharfrat58 (2/02/2022 5:59 pm)

2/02/2022 3:13 pm  #15

I am encouraged by the recent play of Toby Okani as I mentioned in an earlier post after the St Louis game.  He turned in another good effort last night, and may be finding his niche; but I would not expect the coaches to significantly reduce the minutes of Easley or Ayers as they have been very consistent rebounders for this team.  As Phil pointed out, Easley has been battling against some bigger people as a 4-man in the lineup and his numbers indicate solid performances.  In addition both Easley and Ayers need to score for the team to succeed.  I still see plenty of upside for both Ayers and Easley, so I think they still need to get their share of minutes.  
I'm not too concerned about last night's outcome with Richmond running out a bunch of guys who have successfully played together seemingly forever; against a team with two freshman guards, and a bunch of new faces.  Realistically the chance of a Duquesne win was slim; but they did play well for the first half.

All they can do is continue to work hard and gradually we will see some pleasing results from these guys.  I think teams improve as players learn their roles and develop confidence in their teammates.  They will  understand how and where to get them the ball to increase their chances of success.  On defense it's having everyone understanding the rotations, and being there when help is needed.  It's a matter of reacting instinctively to situations and not having to pause and think!  It just takes time; don't abandon the ship!

2/02/2022 8:39 pm  #16

levon1975 wrote:

I am encouraged by the recent play of Toby Okani as I mentioned in an earlier post after the St Louis game.  He turned in another good effort last night, and may be finding his niche; but I would not expect the coaches to significantly reduce the minutes of Easley or Ayers as they have been very consistent rebounders for this team.  As Phil pointed out, Easley has been battling against some bigger people as a 4-man in the lineup and his numbers indicate solid performances.  In addition both Easley and Ayers need to score for the team to succeed.  I still see plenty of upside for both Ayers and Easley, so I think they still need to get their share of minutes.  
I'm not too concerned about last night's outcome with Richmond running out a bunch of guys who have successfully played together seemingly forever; against a team with two freshman guards, and a bunch of new faces.  Realistically the chance of a Duquesne win was slim; but they did play well for the first half.

All they can do is continue to work hard and gradually we will see some pleasing results from these guys.  I think teams improve as players learn their roles and develop confidence in their teammates.  They will  understand how and where to get them the ball to increase their chances of success.  On defense it's having everyone understanding the rotations, and being there when help is needed.  It's a matter of reacting instinctively to situations and not having to pause and think!  It just takes time; don't abandon the ship!

levon1975, you are on a roll; another well thought out post.  After the Saint Louis debacle, I was curious to see whether there were signs that the coaching staff was losing their grip on the team.  The Dukes came out against Richmond sharp, aggressive and they were battling throughout the game. 

2/04/2022 12:52 pm  #17

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

levon1975, you are on a roll; another well thought out post.  After the Saint Louis debacle, I was curious to see whether there were signs that the coaching staff was losing their grip on the team.  The Dukes came out against Richmond sharp, aggressive and they were battling throughout the game. 

I agree.  I think this team has character and I see very little quit in them (Primo has disappointed me the last 2 games - when things don't go his way he appears listless/bored and not happy to be playing.  It was clear in the first half of the Richmond game he was coached to pass the ball and did with positive results but that seemed to really affect his attitude.)  What I'm seeing is a team not prepared to handle adjustments by other teams which leads to frustration.  They appear to be trying to do what is coached and continue to get beat by more disciplined and savvy players who know their own system well and execute it.  There is less talent on this team than I originally assessed but i still think they have talent - they are just in over their heads in a competitive conference filled with coaches that institute a system and get excellent execution from their players.  Conclusion: it's on the coaches.  they need to simplify the game plan to let these players do what they do well and maybe we'll scratch out a few more victories. 

It's hard to continue to watch the guys fight for 20 to 25 seconds on a defensive possession just to see a well executed play find a wide open guy get a basket in the end.  the players look at each other as if to say, "how did that happen?"  they look frustrated and defeated because they by all accounts appear to be trying to do what they are supposed to do.  

Board footera