Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2022 6:29 pm  #1

Game Thread - Virginia Commonwealth University Rams

4:00pm EST tip on Saturday 02/05/2022 at the Siegel Center, Richmond, VA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #252 (6-13; 1-6 A-10) vs Virginia Commonwealth University Rams #85 (13-7; 6-3 A-10)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 13, 67-54 - Dukes with 11% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 11½ point underdogs; Over/Under 124½
Duquesne 6-13 Against the Spread: VCU 13-7 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Bradley (99); UC Irvine (114); UMass (187)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Northeastern (279); Bowling Green (234); Marshall (227)
VCU Best Win(s): Davidson (55); Dayton (56); Syracuse (77)
VCU Worst Loss(es): Wagner (115); St. Bonaventure (96); Chattanooga (70)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at VCU for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: None
Offensive Weakness: Turnover % (342)
Defensive Strength: Turnover % (2); Effective FG % (9)
Defensive Weakness: Offensive Rebound % (347); FT Rate (309)

Here's a look at VCU in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  Turnover % (12); FT Rate (12)
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (1); Effective FG % (4)
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (12); FT Rate (14)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (68); Turnover % (76)
Offensive Weakness: FT Rate (343); Effective FG % (299)
Defensive Strength: FT Rate (5)
Defensive Weakness: Offensive Rebound % (318); Effective FG % (272)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (14); Effective FG % (14)
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (2)
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (13); Effective FG % (13)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
VCU Adj Offense Efficiency - 96.2; 294 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 106.5; 253 in D-1
VCU Adj Defense Efficiency - 87.0; 4 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 99.8; 233 in D-1
VCU Adj Tempo - 67.3; 182 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 65.4; 291 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - VCU 1.70 yrs; 228 in D-1; Dukes 0.70 yrs; 354 in D-1
Average Height - VCU 77.4"; 97 in D-1; Dukes 77.0"; 158 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 267th in the country.
VCU is 78th in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=5363&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

2/04/2022 7:33 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Virginia Commonwealth University Rams

At this point I should make money betting against my Dukes. But 11 1/2 wow. If they can’t cover Coach Dambrot needs a wake up call. The program is in the toilet. Step up please. Old school is a joke.

2/05/2022 4:44 pm  #3

I didn't catch any pre-game. Is there a reason Hima isn't playing?

2/05/2022 5:27 pm  #4

What needs to be said is that those who come off the bench really hurt the team defensively. Gave up the lead in both halves.

2/05/2022 5:29 pm  #5

phil95 wrote:

I didn't catch any pre-game. Is there a reason Hima isn't playing?

Yes, why is Larson playing instead of Hima?  We could use the help around the rim.

2/05/2022 6:13 pm  #6

Why isn't Jackie in during the last 2 minutes when they needed 3's?

Between Hima not getting in when they needed to stop VCU's attacking the rim and JJ missing at the end when they needed 3's, I don't understand ...

2/05/2022 6:22 pm  #7

indygjm wrote:

Between Hima not getting in when they needed to stop VCU's attacking the rim and JJ missing at the end when they needed 3's, I don't understand ...

Did you watch the game? Jackie was terrible tonight. He was 0-6 and his +/- was equally painful. I too would have like to see Hima defensively, but not sure how he would have handled the pressure.  Also, from what I saw from our offensive attack today, whenever VCU trapped on the ballscreens, we threw it short to our big who set the screen to go 4v3 with the remaining rams. Not sure Hima would be best in that role. If Tre Williams can continue to play like that offensively, I am very excited about his future.

2/05/2022 6:28 pm  #8

Even though JJ was 0 for 6, I'd still rather take my chances with him at the end versus Tre putting up 3s.

Just my opinion.

2/05/2022 6:29 pm  #9

Jackie was 0-6 shooting for the game; so I can understand keeping him on the bench late in the game.
Limiting turnovers is a big part of beating VCU; and the Dukes had 17 today; too many to win the game; but poor shooting was an obvious issue.  Maybe the coaches felt Hima was a poor risk due to his offensive limitations.

2/05/2022 6:33 pm  #10

I think your analysis about Hima is correct, but how will the kid learn if you do not put him in these type of game situations? Shows a lack of faith or lack of teaching by Coach. With the season now about getting better, why waste minutes with Larson? Find out if the Hima kid will help in the future. Today’s starting five we’re at least connected. To win, they might have to play 33 minutes together.  The play of Ayers and Johnson has been disappointing.

Last edited by HookShot (2/05/2022 6:34 pm)

2/05/2022 6:41 pm  #11

Don't play Hima but play Larsen. That makes sense.

2/05/2022 8:25 pm  #12

CLK wrote:

Don't play Hima but play Larsen. That makes sense.

Oh CLK you mean Hima 7”7 wingspan sits on the bench. VCU absolutely dominated Duquesne on the low block in points. Gee imagine placing Williams at the 4 as a power forward. Wow this is crazy. Sorry but Ayers is just not strong . Watching Dambrots substitutions makes me believe he wants the assistant AD job at Akron with a buyout from Duquesne. Unfortunately, Archie Miller come May of this year is a free agent. How can you not play Hima more then a minute after receiving the abuse on the low block. Hima may not be Mr. offense but Larsen really? Total joke. Duquesne vs Lasalle for last place in the A10. Hmmm Lasalle High School gym no commitment  from the University. Coach Dambrot however was handed keys to the Cadillac. Pathetic.

Last edited by Ironduke81 (2/05/2022 8:29 pm)

2/06/2022 8:08 am  #13

2/06/2022 9:57 am  #14

No problems that another good big and a PG can't fix. Tre needs help and needs to move to the 4 and a solid PG be it someone already on the team or a transfer or freshman, will turn this team into a solid contender next year.  There, problem solved. No charge! Go Dukes!

2/06/2022 10:12 am  #15

Nothing gets my blood pressure exploding more than comments like these:
"That’s too many minutes for those guys. We’re not naturally conditioned to play that many in a game,” Dambrot said.
Really? I saw the new world-class weight room and training center. That is not an excuse. You're the head coach. You are supposed to know what training regimen gets you the results so that your players are able to play as much of the game as you feel necessary. Injuries happen during the season. That is why the team should have been prepared to play short-handed.
Sheesh!!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/06/2022 10:17 am  #16

Ken,
I thought the same thing exactly!!!!!!!   We are in February.  These are young men.  If they can't play for that amount Dambrot does not have them conditioned.  Go look at the Bonnies...and yes, a tough year for them but still a lot better than Duquesne.  There are many other examples.  I also don't want to hear how he has a bunch of new players who don't know each other yet.  We aren't the only team like that and others have "gotten" to know each other.   Then take all of the good players he couldn't interact with...Weathers, EW, Sincere, and more.  Yes, I know there were issues but there are issues everywhere.  I truly believe that the GAME IS PASSING DAMBROT BY.  He was good in his day, no more.  It happens.  Hopefully out of the next 3 games we can beat Fordham with the attendance at 1,000 and announced at 2,800.  That win (I hope) is one of the 2 I chose before now and the end of the year.

2/06/2022 11:20 am  #17

Your right CLK and Iron D, no Hima - what a joke.  He will only get better playing and getting experience on the Court, but we have grad student Larson who gives you absolutely nothing!!  And let's not forget another of the infamous quotes from the captain of this sinking ship - "Larson" is one of our best players or something like that!  Another thing that bothers me is that I think KD is really screwing up JJ's confidence.  He gets yanked and yelled at (I saw it behind the bench versus St. Lou), but Primo can be out of control going one on one and miss 6 shots in a row and nothing happens.  Let me also add to KenOTR and Fam noted, which I am 100% in agreement with and that is you can add Chad Baker and Dre Harris to Fam's list.  Both of those guys were good players with a lot of upside.

2/06/2022 11:54 am  #18

One more word on conditioning. Recall when Coach Everhart was hired. He told the returning players that he was starting mandatory 6:00AM morning runs. Everyone left but, guess who, Aaron Jackson! No, RE never made it to the dance but I believe that you can thank the on-campus shooting for that. He did make it to the A-10 championship game and that was as close to the dance that we've been in years. Then came the in-fighting with Satan the AD and it was over...

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/06/2022 1:48 pm  #19

He could come back!

2/07/2022 9:38 am  #20

CityDuke wrote:

indygjm wrote:

Did you watch the game? Jackie was terrible tonight. He was 0-6 and his +/- was equally painful. I too would have like to see Hima defensively, but not sure how he would have handled the pressure. Also, from what I saw from our offensive attack today, whenever VCU trapped on the ballscreens, we threw it short to our big who set the screen to go 4v3 with the remaining rams. Not sure Hima would be best in that role. If Tre Williams can continue to play like that offensively, I am very excited about his future.

Hima may not have handled the pressure well but Larson is a mismatch no matter where is is.  No excuse to see Larson out there instead of Hima.  Though JJ was 0-6 he wasn't missing 3s as match as getting blocked on drives.  He definitely should have been out there in the last 3 minutes to take a couple 3s.  KD not using the correct personnel in the right spots.  You are down 5-8 points late and have a deadly 3 pointer shooter on your bench?  get him out there!   

The Dukes played hard and gave themselves a chance to win but got too sloppy down the stretch.  Ayers has regressed.  He continues to show that he has talent and the length to score in different ways in this league but makes costly mistakes in big spots.  

This team is young.  I would like to say that they will round into form over the next 2 seasons but unfortunately that is not how mid major college basketball works anymore.  Maybe the pendulum will swing back and we can watch players develop like in the olden days. 

2/07/2022 9:57 am  #21

Styles I couldn't agree more.  I have attached below the season stats.  There is a lot of interesting things to be gleaned there, but with respect to Ayers he is really hurting this team with his inability to make wide open three point shots, and his turnovers.  Conversely there is a strong argument that Acuff needs to play and shoot more. 

2021-2022 Duquesne University Men's Basketball (PDF) - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

2/07/2022 3:14 pm  #22

CLK wrote:

Styles I couldn't agree more.  I have attached below the season stats.  There is a lot of interesting things to be gleaned there, but with respect to Ayers he is really hurting this team with his inability to make wide open three point shots, and his turnovers.  Conversely there is a strong argument that Acuff needs to play and shoot more. 

2021-2022 Duquesne University Men's Basketball (PDF) - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

Agree about Acuff.  Phil has been saying that they need to run plays regularly to get him open 3s.  He's shooting almost 50% from 3!!!  

2/08/2022 3:00 pm  #23

Styles1229 wrote:

Agree about Acuff.  Phil has been saying that they need to run plays regularly to get him open 3s.  He's shooting almost 50% from 3!!!  

Hopefully after the VCU game he’s back in the form he started the season in, and if so he does need to get the ball more. He was 3 for 12 in the 7 games before VCU and I was afraid he was checking out.

2/08/2022 3:28 pm  #24

JJ, Acuff, & Okani have all suffered from KD's bizarro substitution patterns & musical lineups.

None of these guys was going to be a star this season but, it is hard to flourish & grow if there is no consistency in these matters. There is no way that these guys are confident about understanding their roles & responsibilities.

2/09/2022 2:16 pm  #25

phil95 wrote:

JJ, Acuff, & Okani have all suffered from KD's bizarro substitution patterns & musical lineups.

None of these guys was going to be a star this season but, it is hard to flourish & grow if there is no consistency in these matters. There is no way that these guys are confident about understanding their roles & responsibilities.

Yes I certainly agree. Coming into the season Acuff seemed like he was going to be not only a starter, but the on-court leader of the team. He started well, but lost more and more opportunities to Spears and Johnson as the year went on. Then he started slumping, which was my reason for concern. Again hopefully the VCU game can get him settled back in.

Okani also seemed like he would be a big player this year, but has never really gotten the opportunity to do so. He’s played well for the most part in a minor role. His length, athleticism, and hustle check off boxes that we are sorely lacking in. Still he went half a season without getting the kind of minutes he’s earned. VCU was just the third time all year he played 30 minutes and the first since Colorado 2 1/2 months ago. He’s 4th on the team in rebounds, 4th in steals, and 3rd in blocks but has only played the 7th most minutes.

Board footera