Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2022 11:51 pm  #1

If we wait until his contract is up !

If we wait until Dambrots contract is up, there may be no coming back !!!

I have stated previously that we can not buy out coaches contract. But there is something we have to do to end this debacle. For three years I have stated that his recruiting is horrible, his retention of players is ridiculous, his offensive sets are non existent, his defensive strategy is terrible ( it was looking good because he walked the ball up the court against bad teams and yet good teams scored at will),  his win loss percentage was attributed to the AD scheduling an easy non conference schedule. Coach Dambrot came into the league at its lowest point. But I got ridiculed by the majority of you posters, the in Dambrot we trust people and the fella that followed him from Akron.

We are the die hard fans on this board, and there are not many of us commenting any more. So once we are gone there will be nobody left to comment on Duquesne basketball and support the team.

If Harper could raise the cash for the Coop Center, he must now raise the money for the buyout of this coach.  If not I really don’t think we can come back from the disaster of hiring Dambrot. I have heard that the players can’t stand him and it shows in their faces and actions while they are playing.

There is no way that the talented players are staying and the others are not A-10 caliber. So, in year six we will be starting all over again. We have to buy out Dambrot and his merry men. I never thought that we could do this, but if we spent 40 million on the Coop, we should go the extra few million to buy him out.

I do not want to go to a lower level conference. But if we don’t buy him out now, that maybe the only other option, and we will have less supporters.

2/10/2022 6:24 am  #2

Re: If we wait until his contract is up !

Wildwood13 wrote:

If we wait until Dambrots contract is up, there may be no coming back !!!

I have stated previously that we can not buy out coaches contract. But there is something we have to do to end this debacle. For three years I have stated that his recruiting is horrible, his retention of players is ridiculous, his offensive sets are non existent, his defensive strategy is terrible ( it was looking good because he walked the ball up the court against bad teams and yet good teams scored at will), his win loss percentage was attributed to the AD scheduling an easy non conference schedule. Coach Dambrot came into the league at its lowest point. But I got ridiculed by the majority of you posters, the in Dambrot we trust people and the fella that followed him from Akron.

We are the die hard fans on this board, and there are not many of us commenting any more. So once we are gone there will be nobody left to comment on Duquesne basketball and support the team.

If Harper could raise the cash for the Coop Center, he must now raise the money for the buyout of this coach. If not I really don’t think we can come back from the disaster of hiring Dambrot. I have heard that the players can’t stand him and it shows in their faces and actions while they are playing.

There is no way that the talented players are staying and the others are not A-10 caliber. So, in year six we will be starting all over again. We have to buy out Dambrot and his merry men. I never thought that we could do this, but if we spent 40 million on the Coop, we should go the extra few million to buy him out.

I do not want to go to a lower level conference. But if we don’t buy him out now, that maybe the only other option, and we will have less supporters.

I agree. Before he got here, I thought it was a good move to get some top recruits in and I, like everyone else that supported that move assumed he could coach at an A-10 level. But over the last 3 years, I just didn't see this offense working. This year with so many young players, it take a real good coach to teach them up. That's not happening and the flaws in his offensive approach only makes teaching them worse.  

2/10/2022 9:09 am  #3

Well last night TDM goes off again second time 30 points. Weathers brothers upset Houston. Need I say more. One bright point from last nights game Hima, Williams & Easley on court together ….BRIEFLY. This team is not getting better. ACCUFF solid, OKANI getting better & Hima can & should play at least 25-30 minutes per game.

2/10/2022 9:27 am  #4

Hima
Williams
Okani
JJ
Spears

just let that 5 play a lot, sub when they are tied or foul trouble.   Who cares what the score is.   

2/10/2022 11:16 am  #5

townsonkid wrote:

Hima
Williams
Okani
JJ
Spears

just let that 5 play a lot, sub when they are tied or foul trouble.   Who cares what the score is.   

I think Easley and Acuff need PT too.  Acuff should be the 2 primarily until he shows he can't do it.  I say, split time with Primo and JJ at the 1, run Acuff at the 2 and split Easley/Okani at the 3.  $ Tre. 5 Hima.  then next year you know what you have.  Primo regressing and does not deserve to be out there 30+ minutes every game

Last edited by Styles1229 (2/10/2022 11:18 am)

2/10/2022 11:28 am  #6

Most on this board think a lot of Harper and Gormley.  We shall see. As President of the University and an avid fan Gormley has to be embarrassed. As the AD who hired this guy Harper should be angry. But Duquesne isn’t a school with deep Athletic pockets from donors.  A 2 million buyout is a lot. As far as if they fire him they have to start over, well if guys transfer or they keep losing they will have to start over anyhow.  There is no simple answer.

We will see what Harper and Gormley figure out.

2/10/2022 12:51 pm  #7

FAM wrote:

Most on this board think a lot of Harper and Gormley.  We shall see. As President of the University and an avid fan Gormley has to be embarrassed. As the AD who hired this guy Harper should be angry. But Duquesne isn’t a school with deep Athletic pockets from donors.  A 2 million buyout is a lot. As far as if they fire him they have to start over, well if guys transfer or they keep losing they will have to start over anyhow.  There is no simple answer.

We will see what Harper and Gormley figure out.

Fam, I like your posts.   I’m curious to why you believe that Harper or Gormley are either angry or embarrassed?   I’m serious on that.  I bet Gormley went to bed not knowing the results of the game. 

And Harper went out to dinner with his old Dayton buddies who picked up the check.

2/10/2022 2:44 pm  #8

I guess human nature. Don’t know if you are able to attend games… but if you have over the past couple of years you would have seen the following:
-Gormley spending time in the student section, cheering, and talking to kids about coming to games.
- He played a part in getting donations from corporations, etc.
-At first students came, now they don’t. This year was an opportunity with a new venue to renew interest. It didn’t work.
- Even the season tickets section is now mostly empty

-Yes, Harper may have gone out with his Dayton friends but he had to be uncomfortable.
-If other folks here beside me and a few others wrote to him it wouldn’t have made him happy. Ferry complained about us writing on this board.
-Harper used to be more visible and interactive at home games. Now he sits at the end of the table at the end of the court surrounded by air. He is probably glad he can wear a mask!!!

These folks are human. I’ve been in similar situations on a smaller scale but still public. They aren’t happy… but the buyout is a problem. How are you going to convince the University to give another 2 million to buy out Dambrot and start again when it is the same old story with DU basketball. Plus, they already went to the well to get money for the Coop.  In some ways, this situation of losing may be as bad as when Née was here, though the numbers aren’t the same.  Someone compared DU bball to the Pirates as far as lack of success, a new place to play, lack of success. But that owner is making millions as he has screwed up the team.

Duquesne Basketball is a dead team walking. It is costing the University lots of money and they have tried to do the right thing… but Dambrot has failed. The best thing that could happen for DU basketball is if Dambrot resigned at the end of this year, he negotiates a buyout, and Harper works hard again to get someone who can win. It’s Miller time???

2/10/2022 4:12 pm  #9

FAM wrote:

I guess human nature. Don’t know if you are able to attend games… but if you have over the past couple of years you would have seen the following:
-Gormley spending time in the student section, cheering, and talking to kids about coming to games.
- He played a part in getting donations from corporations, etc.
-At first students came, now they don’t. This year was an opportunity with a new venue to renew interest. It didn’t work.
- Even the season tickets section is now mostly empty

-Yes, Harper may have gone out with his Dayton friends but he had to be uncomfortable.
-If other folks here beside me and a few others wrote to him it wouldn’t have made him happy. Ferry complained about us writing on this board.
-Harper used to be more visible and interactive at home games. Now he sits at the end of the table at the end of the court surrounded by air. He is probably glad he can wear a mask!!!

These folks are human. I’ve been in similar situations on a smaller scale but still public. They aren’t happy… but the buyout is a problem. How are you going to convince the University to give another 2 million to buy out Dambrot and start again when it is the same old story with DU basketball. Plus, they already went to the well to get money for the Coop.  In some ways, this situation of losing may be as bad as when Née was here, though the numbers aren’t the same.  Someone compared DU bball to the Pirates as far as lack of success, a new place to play, lack of success. But that owner is making millions as he has screwed up the team.

Duquesne Basketball is a dead team walking. It is costing the University lots of money and they have tried to do the right thing… but Dambrot has failed. The best thing that could happen for DU basketball is if Dambrot resigned at the end of this year, he negotiates a buyout, and Harper works hard again to get someone who can win. It’s Miller time???

Thank you.

2/10/2022 4:25 pm  #10

FAM wrote:

It’s Miller time???

Hmmm. Velly interesting!! (Henry Gibson from Laugh-In for you youngun's)

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/10/2022 4:46 pm  #11

I hate to present myself as the voice of reason, since some people would claim that is not typically my approach; but conceding that this attempted makeover has largely been a bust; does anyone think that the Coach has earned enough credibility over his long coaching career, to be granted an opportunity to straighten out the mess?   I don't know the man personally; but my impression is that he is not the kind of guy that wants to end his career on such a low note.  If it is a hopeless situation then I assume he would recognize that and take appropriate action to stop the bleeding.   

2/10/2022 5:19 pm  #12

Levon that is a fair question. I hate to use computer terminology but this whole mess has been characterized as a reboot. Harper needs to make a decision if it is a reboot gone wrong or a complete system failure and any retries would fry the motherboard. I think that if there is a mass exodus of players again this year it may help him decide. Maybe not. I trust that he and Gormley will do the right thing whatever that decision may be.

2/10/2022 7:51 pm  #13

KenOTR73 wrote:

FAM wrote:

It’s Miller time???

I believe that was Arte Johnson 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/10/2022 9:21 pm  #14

levon1975 wrote:

I hate to present myself as the voice of reason, since some people would claim that is not typically my approach; but conceding that this attempted makeover has largely been a bust; does anyone think that the Coach has earned enough credibility over his long coaching career, to be granted an opportunity to straighten out the mess?   I don't know the man personally; but my impression is that he is not the kind of guy that wants to end his career on such a low note.  If it is a hopeless situation then I assume he would recognize that and take appropriate action to stop the bleeding.   

This is an interesting question. Here are my 2 cents.

If the team were to end the year on a significantly positive note by making sustained progress with their biggest challenges, ( offensive execution/chemistry, arriving at a stable/effective starting 5 & rotation, defensive rebounding, performing at a high level for 40 minutes, player retention), while also winning 4 of the remaining scheduled games; I would say yes. If KD & team could make that kind of turn around in the next 8 weeks, combined with the street cred the man has earned by being a long-term success at Akron should easily earn him a 6th year.

It is my fear that no matter how poorly the season ends, DU will bring KD back because the will to have a very strong men's basketball program does not exist among the true decision makers at our alma mater. 

Can you really blame them? While the basketball program has been mostly trash for 40 years, the university, as an institution, has during the same period had its best era academically while experiencing tremendous positive growth in enrollment, programs, physical plant, & prestige. It is a much "better" school than most of us posters originally applied to & having a bad hoops program hasn't prevented that from happening.

Last edited by phil95 (2/10/2022 9:23 pm)

2/11/2022 7:57 am  #15

Phil,
Your second scenario is one that I have discussed on several occasions with a close friend and fellow DU alum.  Does the investment in basketball pay-off for an institution that has seen steady growth despite never garnering the perceived benefits of a high-profile winning basketball program?  Did the BOD and  President affirm their desire to pursue success in basketball with the  $43- million investment in The Coop, higher coaching salaries and budget for basketball?  I imagine they felt that the enhanced investment would translate into more success on the court given KD’s track record and recent 21-win season on the Bluff.  If the long-range plan was to support a winning basketball program then I don’t think that one dreadful season would alter the plan.  It will be up to the current coaching staff and AD to prove to their superiors that they have a plan to get the program back on track to success very quickly; or changes would be expected.  I just don’t see any sense in backing-off the goal because of one giant pothole in the road.  Successful people don’t typically waiver from their goals when adversity strikes; they figure out a solution and move forward.

2/11/2022 9:24 am  #16

levon1975 wrote:

Levon, Your post does make a great deal of sense. I think most of the negative posts on this board are the result of great frustration with this season. However there are those here who from the beginning of KD's  hiring  were not totally sold on him. I certainly wasn't one of them. I thought it was a fantastic hire. But, this year not withstanding, I've seen so many players leave the program either because they were not A-10 caliber or because they wanted out. The turnover rate has been greater than anything I can remember here or anywhere else. This is the most troubling issue that I have. I'm not a basketball expert. I never played the game so I can't speak to much of what others have questioned concerning the lack of  coherent offensive sets but it is pretty obvious to even the casual observer that there is way too much one on one basketball being played. We see other teams run sets that result in easy layups. I'm not seeing too much of that here. The second half of the Bonnies game gave me some hope that things were coming together but haven't seen any evidence of that change since. It may be that the university has little choice in sticking things out with KD and hoping that the ship is righted. If that is the case, I'm hoping that this coaching staff is up to that task. As I've said here before, this is the only college basketball team that I have to support. Like all the good people on this board, I want it to be successful. LET"S GO DUKES!

Last edited by El Presidente (2/11/2022 9:28 am)

2/11/2022 10:37 am  #17

phil95 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

This is an interesting question. Here are my 2 cents.

If the team were to end the year on a significantly positive note by making sustained progress with their biggest challenges, ( offensive execution/chemistry, arriving at a stable/effective starting 5 & rotation, defensive rebounding, performing at a high level for 40 minutes, player retention), while also winning 4 of the remaining scheduled games; I would say yes. If KD & team could make that kind of turn around in the next 8 weeks, combined with the street cred the man has earned by being a long-term success at Akron should easily earn him a 6th year.

It is my fear that no matter how poorly the season ends, DU will bring KD back because the will to have a very strong men's basketball program does not exist among the true decision makers at our alma mater. 

Can you really blame them? While the basketball program has been mostly trash for 40 years, the university, as an institution, has during the same period had its best era academically while experiencing tremendous positive growth in enrollment, programs, physical plant, & prestige. It is a much "better" school than most of us posters originally applied to & having a bad hoops program hasn't prevented that from happening.

Yea, most likely they keep him at least a year. But, I will be surprised if anything chances on the court next year. 

2/11/2022 11:23 am  #18

Phil,
Your second scenario is one that I have discussed on several occasions with a close friend and fellow DU alum.  Does the investment in basketball pay-off for an institution that has seen steady growth despite never garnering the perceived benefits of a high-profile winning basketball program?  Did the BOD and  President affirm their desire to pursue success in basketball with the  $43- million investment in The Coop, higher coaching salaries and budget for basketball?  I imagine they felt that the enhanced investment would translate into more success on the court given KD’s track record and recent 21-win season on the Bluff.  If the long-range plan was to support a winning basketball program then I don’t think that one dreadful season would alter the plan.  It will be up to the current coaching staff and AD to prove to their superiors that they have a plan to get the program back on track to success very quickly; or changes would be expected.  I just don’t see any sense in backing-off the goal because of one giant pothole in the road.  Successful people don’t typically waiver from their goals when adversity strikes; they figure out a solution and move forward.

2/11/2022 11:29 am  #19

Unless he resigns, Dambrot will be back next year.   If its miserable next year, they will cut ties.  I do think he and possible thru his convincing, Harper, believe they have talent, just need a few more pieces and time.

If he had came out in October and said we are rebuilding this year, looking for leaders and starting a plan to be good in 2022-23, we wouldnt be as upset, and I dont think the team would be playing as poorly.
But, he didnt.

Last edited by townsonkid (2/11/2022 11:30 am)

2/11/2022 2:16 pm  #20

Tejas_Duke wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

FAM wrote:

It’s Miller time???

I believe that was Arte Johnson 

Got me there Tejas....Henry did the poetry bit carrying a flower...

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/11/2022 2:56 pm  #21

Townson,

Excellent post.  Instead, he said this was his best team ever.  What is scary about that, is if didn't mean it, you don't say best ever for anything.  And if he did mean it, his judgement of talent has gone downhill quick...

2/11/2022 3:09 pm  #22

FAM wrote:

Townson,

Excellent post.  Instead, he said this was his best team ever.  What is scary about that, is if didn't mean it, you don't say best ever for anything.  And if he did mean it, his judgement of talent has gone downhill quick...

Agreed BUT there IS talent on this team.  I believe Tre (in the right spot and not taking 3s) is every bit as good as anyone we've had under KD.  JJ and Primo have big upside.  Easley is talented.  But KD should not have made that assessment

2/11/2022 5:07 pm  #23

There is talent on this team no doubt. Let's hope there is still talent here as we move thru the off season. If we can hold on to these players and add the right ones moving forward (bigs and pg) this can be a winning team next year. Not certain how big that "if" is!

Last edited by El Presidente (2/11/2022 5:09 pm)

2/11/2022 6:56 pm  #24

He said it was his best Duquesne team ever, but he also cautioned fans to be patient as they would likely get off to a slow start until they got used to playing with each other. 21 games in, we're still waiting for things to gel. To Phil's point, looking at the schedule, it's not out of the question that this team could finish sort of strong. Could you see four, even five more wins in the last eight games (nine if the George Mason game ever gets rescheduled)? It's not out of the question. They won't beat Davidson and they won't beat Bonaventure. But the Fordham and LaSalle home games are very winnable, as is the Rhode Island (6-game losing streak) game and the GW games. And then there's George Mason, which is improved, but don't the Dukes always find a way to beat them, even in the Ferry Era? I realize the team we've seen this year is very capable of losing every one of those games, and you could make the argument that all of those rosters are more talented than Duquesne's, but I could see a late-season resurgence of sorts, where they finish 4-5/5-4, then snag a win in the conference tourney play-in round, making Dambrot's return for year 6 slightly more palatable.

2/11/2022 6:59 pm  #25

I'm tired. Having watched the Duquesne Men's Basketball Team teeter between mediocrity and just plain awful for decades - yes I said decades - I don't know what to say or do. The last time the Dukes made the NCAA Tournament was my freshman year and I'm tired of seeing other schools, some smaller than Duquesne, have successful programs and get invitations to the big dance. Every few years we get a new coach, another guy who is going to lead us to the promised land, only to set the stage for more disappointment. Why is it that so many other schools can accomplish what Duquesne can't? I realize I'm asking questions that have been asked so many times. But unless we get an administration that commits 100% to rebuilding the program properly it's going to be more of the same.
Years ago, Wisconsin's football team was the laughing stock of the Big Ten. Then Donna Shalala was named school president. One of the first things she did was hire Pat Richter as the AD, who in turn hired Barry Alvarez as the new football coach. In less than five years, the Badgers were conference champs and a national title contender. And have been ever since. That's the kind of commitment basketball at Duquesne needs. Let's see if we get it.

Board footera