Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2013 1:49 pm  #26

Re: TJ

ElDuque wrote:

LaurenB wrote:

Westender wrote:

I second your opinion '81. TJ, with a push by his father and the tampering of Sean Miller, turned his back on the guy who gave him the opportunity to play higher level D1 BB when few others believed he could do it. Just another example of McConnell egotistical arrogance.

TJ committed to Duquesne when he was a sophomore in HIGH SCHOOL! By the time he was a senior, he could have went to just about any Div 1. team. So let us not engage in revisionist history here. But he and his father did the honorable thing and stood by their commitment and gave the Dukes two great years. It was only then that he wanted to play for a higher level D1 program at Arizona. His "egotistical arrogant attitude" might just land him in the NBA now, whereas he would have languished in relative obscurity had he remained a Duke.

I'm in favor of banning the troll.

I'm with you.

11/12/2013 2:31 pm  #27

I've never heard such a ridiculous notion, that McConnell, or any other player with NBA potential would "languish in obscurity" in a league the caliber of the A-10.  Playing in the major eastern cities such as NY, Philly, and DC, do you really believe that NBA scouts would completely miss the fact that an A-10 player (TJ or any other) was NBA caliber?  Nonsense!  The NBA doesn't draft players based upon how oftern they appear on ESPN.  What will probably help TJ more than anything was the chance to sit out a year and mature both physically and mentally.

Last edited by levon1975 (11/13/2013 9:12 am)

11/12/2013 4:13 pm  #28

LaurenB wrote:

Westender wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Screw him!

I second your opinion '81. TJ, with a push by his father and the tampering of Sean Miller, turned his back on the guy who gave him the opportunity to play higher level D1 BB when few others believed he could do it. Just another example of McConnell egotistical arrogance.

TJ committed to Duquesne when he was a sophomore in HIGH SCHOOL! By the time he was a senior, he could have went to just about any Div 1. team. So let us not engage in revisionist history here. But he and his father did the honorable thing and stood by their commitment and gave the Dukes two great years. It was only then that he wanted to play for a higher level D1 program at Arizona. His "egotistical arrogant attitude" might just land him in the NBA now, whereas he would have languished in relative obscurity had he remained a Duke.

I have 2 comments for you Lauren. First, you don't have to tell me that he committed to Duquesne when he was a sophomore in high school. He committed because Ron Everhart offered him a scholarship when he was sophomore. Nobody else did - hence the statement in my post that he turned his back on the guy who gave him the opportunity to play higher level D1 BB when few others believed he could do it. Second, please tell me -  name them all - which D1 schools offered him a scholarship between the time that Everhart offered when he was a sophomore in high school and the time he actually signed his LOI to commit to Duquesne. I think it is you who is engaging in revisionist history. And, if the arrogant, egotistical little sh _ _ , makes the NBA, I'll kiss your you know what at center court at Palumbo. TJ and Sean Miller deserve each other - maybe you should join them in Tuscon, because if you think TJ would have hurt his chances to play in the NBA if he had finished here at Duquesne, you're as arrogant as they are and don't know sh_ _ about NBA basketball. And finally, I repeat what others have already said - he stabbed Ron Everhart in the back . So as Duq 81 said, " Screw him".

11/12/2013 5:15 pm  #29

WESTENDER, you are correct.  With that said, do we have to commit 3 pages to a title of someone who doesn't play for Duquesne.  If we don't comment on the boy who left, it will be better for all.  Let's focus on who is here or graduated, not someone who left.  No one should be using their energy making comments on this thread - I guess I could say that about me but I am trying to get folks to stop wasting energy on this little boy.

11/12/2013 5:18 pm  #30

Guys, Lauren WAS a troll. Now, Lauren is a BANNED TROLL.

11/12/2013 5:54 pm  #31

ElDuque wrote:

Guys, Lauren WAS a troll. Now, Lauren is a BANNED TROLL.

Doggone it. I wanted her to tell me about all the D1 scholarship offers TJ received.

11/12/2013 7:46 pm  #32

Lauren may have been a troll, but there are far worst trolls than her on this message board.  I am surprised that she was banned, especially in comparison to some of the other posters that frequent here.  That being said, when trolls are obvious, they should be banned.  On to the TJ factor.  At first I too was plenty pissed off, but after the dust settled, the kid had to do right for himself.  Kids move on, scholarships get revoked.  Basketball has become a sleazy business, and I think Miller is right up there with the best of them.   By the way, went to the Abiline Christian game, and Tim McConnell was in attendance also.  Things turn in strange directions, just ask Kaddem P. (whom I am very happy for)

11/13/2013 8:10 am  #33

First, why ban Lauren for negative comments. If that's the criteria, then the only poster on the forum will be telling you how Duquesne is going to be a national champion this year.

Second, TJ has as much chance of getting into the NBA as I do.

11/13/2013 10:03 am  #34

rittersdiner wrote:

First, why ban Lauren for negative comments. If that's the criteria, then the only poster on the forum will be telling you how Duquesne is going to be a national champion this year.

Posting negative comments as I have done, and as you have done Ritters should not get you banned.  I honestly think that from your posts, I can tell you follow Duquesne basketball and are just fed up.  That is completely understandable from my point of view.

But Lauren was a troll.   The thread that he/she started about the NIT season and 17 wins told me that.   No one reasonably expects that this season.   Then the over rehashing of the TJ history was the nail in the coffin for me.  Everyone here knows his backstory.   That was not meant to bring anything meaningful to the table.   It was just plain trolling.

I am glad he/she was banned.

Can we ban topics?  Because I would love to go without seeing the name McConnell in any topic.   

Last edited by duqkurt (11/13/2013 10:48 am)

11/13/2013 10:07 am  #35

Can anyone tell me why space is being wasted here discussung TJ. When he left Duquesne, he became irrevelant to Duquesne basketball and to me. He will not and should not impact our program further. To wish him bad luck is to be little and immature, IMO. I would much rather see intelligent conversation about our current team and the current season.
Just saying. Don't think I will waste more of my time here. Take care.

11/13/2013 10:08 am  #36

If you think someone is a troll, then ignore the post. If someone has a negative comment, they might not want to post for fear of being banned. The best part about this site is that there is give and take. I've followed Duquesne basketball for decades, graduated from the school, and I would not bother to post if every comment was about how great the program is. I can get that on Duquesne's website.

11/13/2013 12:03 pm  #37

rittersdiner wrote:

If you think someone is a troll, then ignore the post. If someone has a negative comment, they might not want to post for fear of being banned. The best part about this site is that there is give and take. I've followed Duquesne basketball for decades, graduated from the school, and I would not bother to post if every comment was about how great the program is. I can get that on Duquesne's website.

LaurenB has a history of trolling. Then she shows up right at the beginning of the season with the same nonsense. That's why I agreed with ED's decision to send her packing.

11/13/2013 12:43 pm  #38

My biggest complaint with the player formerly known as TJ is that he is now known as DTTJ (Duquesne Transfer TJ McConnell).  As much as I have tried to forget about him, he keeps showing up in my news feeds that I have set up under "Duquense Basketball".  Probably 80% of the articles that were showing up in my feed were about Arizona basketball.  And that pisses me off.

11/13/2013 4:05 pm  #39

rittersdiner wrote:

It's not for negative comments. One person's negative comment is not necessarily universal. Plenty gets posted here that someone can disagree with, that others can either have a rational exchange of differing opinions or simply ignore.

Posters get banned for obviously posting things that are stupid for the sake of being provocative. Or for spam. Or for obvious boorish behavior. But not for negative comments, or disagreeing with me or anyone else.

I didn't do this arbitrarily; I asked the other monitors. One agreed with me. If one of the other monitors would have suggested that Lauren should stay, I would have let it go.

Listen, we're not trying to rule with an iron fist here. We all want to enjoy the board, and we're open to suggestions.  But trolls are not welcome here.

11/13/2013 5:46 pm  #40

president wrote:

Can anyone tell me why space is being wasted here discussung TJ. When he left Duquesne, he became irrevelant to Duquesne basketball and to me. He will not and should not impact our program further. To wish him bad luck is to be little and immature, IMO. I would much rather see intelligent conversation about our current team and the current season.
Just saying. Don't think I will waste more of my time here. Take care.

This is what we're shooting for.

Board footera