Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2022 1:21 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

Here is something that I simply don't get.  KD has said several times that he is going to play the young guys as "why not", especially with our record.  Well a reporter in the post-game asked him that again and specifically asked about Hima and KD said he is going to play him and let him develop, but despite saying that Hima gets pulled quicker than anyone on the team!!  He makes one mistake, like when he bobbled the one pass and committed a turnover, and he gets yanked.  Why the contradiction KD!!???  The kid has to play through mistakes to learn and develop, not ride the pine!!!  Professor 1108 has it right though - huge talent gap.

2/13/2022 1:34 pm  #27

PistolPete wrote:

Here is something that I simply don't get.  KD has said several times that he is going to play the young guys as "why not", especially with our record.  Well a reporter in the post-game asked him that again and specifically asked about Hima and KD said he is going to play him and let him develop, but despite saying that Hima gets pulled quicker than anyone on the team!!  He makes one mistake, like when he bobbled the one pass and committed a turnover, and he gets yanked.  Why the contradiction KD!!???  The kid has to play through mistakes to learn and develop, not ride the pine!!!  Professor 1108 has it right though - huge talent gap.

The Dukes continue to get crushed on the defensive glass. All Hima does is rebound & challenge shots. The announcers emphasized on multiple occasions the loss of Rotroff resulted in thr current losing streak. Cmon man it’s not like he was Bill Walton . If he was healthy do you believe he would get 30 minutes at the 5 & Williams goes to the 4. Don’t think so.

2/13/2022 1:56 pm  #28

Huge talent gap is right. Fordham plays without their two leading scorers--one transferred, the other injured--and the Dukes simply fail to even compete, Fordham leads the game from start to finish. With a mix of true freshmen and players that past Duquesne teams more than held their own against. Well, there goes my hope that they might salvage a bit of respectability in this last stretch of games. It's hard to see them winning another game this year. I'll take Levon's word for it that the Dukes were better with Larson on the floor. Again, I'd say that's more of an indictment of this roster than anything else. Rotroff was mostly a positive this year, but he was averaging less than 11 minutes a game. His loss shouldn't have scuttled the whole season. 

2/13/2022 2:24 pm  #29

Pistol and Iron Duke--I completely agree with both of you.  You both make valid points as usual.  Rotroff was playing better this year but he is not the kind of player who would flip Duquesne's record.  As for Hima, what is there to lose in playing him?  Duquesne loses when he doesn't play so KD might as well let him play.  

I repeat...Duquesne doesn't have A-10 level players.  John Wooden (coached Abdul Jabbar, Bill Walton, Sidney Wicks, Gail Goodrich, Henry Bibby, etc.) would be losing with this Duquesne team.  Like in all sports talented players win games not coaches.  The coach's primary job is to recognize talent and get it in the door.  The players will take care of winning games.

2/13/2022 2:46 pm  #30

We lost talent playing well elsewhere. Our opponents' recruits are outperforming ours. I wonder if prospects figure KD won't be at DU much longer so there's no sense coming here. With the kind of season we're having, Harper can't realistically offer him an extension. We would have to at least have a winning season in 22-23 for him to do that.

2/13/2022 3:41 pm  #31

Valid points all the way around boys and Iron Duke the Walton analogy is perfect - Rotroff is not Hippie Bill.  Professor the only thing I can add is that KD is probably not going anywhere so he needs his next recruiting class to be his best to date.  Right now we have too many guys that should be coming off the bench on a middle of the pack A-10 team.  Pretty much the only guys I care about sticking around are Primo (if he starts distributing the ball and reduces the 1 on 1), JJ, Tre and yes Hima, but the reality is that probably everyone is expendable depending on who you bring in.  I do think we can't just rely on high school talent alone as we are not bringing in 4 or 5 Star level recruits.  That being said we need to nab 3 Star recruits that other legit schools actually want and we need some PROVEN transfers.  If Hima doesn't see at least 12-15 minutes next game I sure hope one of the reporters asks KD why he isn't playing when he said he might as well play and develop him!!!  Frankly, I don't know how KD actually said with a straight face that he is going to play the younger guys and specifically Hima when he in fact hasn't done that.  Here is the question for Zach or some other reporter to ask: "Coach, is Hima going to really develop getting only a couple of minutes and not playing through mistakes due in large part to inexperience?" Nuff said, Pistol out 

2/13/2022 5:08 pm  #32

This team's play has deteriorated from mediocre to poor to holy crap what was that over the last 10 games.

So much to unpack.  

There are 12 schollies accounted for just by potential returnees. Unless coach is going to stomach another full "reboot" where is the major improvement coming from ? I realize there will be some attrition, so maybe there is a glimmer of hope.

Why does coach constantly mention "We're just too small . We're almost like a high school team" when the plan all along was to play mssrs. Williams and Easley as the main 4 and 5. He had no real faith in Austin R or Mounier H. so they were not major parts in the plans for 2021-2 ??

What system is coach recruiting to ??  Look at Davidson, Richmond and VCU just for 3 examples of "We are going to recruit players that are capable of playing our style of ball effectively." DU has a real mish mash of players.

We wanna play inside out yet have only 1 marginally effective back to the basket player.

We wanna shoot 3's effectively as that is the way the game is going, but our forwards and guards are really not knock down 3 point shooters. They may have brief periods where they are on, but those are fleeting at best.

We wanna play / stress tough man to man defense but 1/2 the team (or more maybe) is not willing or able to do this. This again goes back to my previous mentions of poor roster construction.

Just a truly frustrating season and puzzle going forward.

2/14/2022 10:00 am  #33

ghost, you have done a great job of outlining the frustrations most of us share.  I am convinced that this is a completed system failure and not a problem that bringing one or two players is going to fix, or even a complete roster overhaul will fix.  Regrettably, what Dambrot said about his players last year is more true about this coach and staff: this is not a group that can win championships in the A10.  

2/14/2022 12:41 pm  #34

Ghost and CLK you guys raise a good point.  All of the good teams in our conference recruit to their system and Davidson and Richmond are excellent examples - movement, screens, shooters.  I would also say Dayton, with their length, athleticism, D and shooting do the same.  St. Lou plays to their toughness, D and attacking the boards.  Dambrot is supposed to be an inside out guy, but how do you do that without a true 5 and a couple of lock down shooters ala Micah Mason types?  What is the most disturbing part of all of this was the foreseeability of these issues.  Again, the roster composition coming into this season was and is a complete disaster which falls squarely on this staff.

2/14/2022 1:32 pm  #35

PistolPete wrote:

Ghost and CLK you guys raise a good point.  All of the good teams in our conference recruit to their system and Davidson and Richmond are excellent examples - movement, screens, shooters.  I would also say Dayton, with their length, athleticism, D and shooting do the same.  St. Lou plays to their toughness, D and attacking the boards.  Dambrot is supposed to be an inside out guy, but how do you do that without a true 5 and a couple of lock down shooters ala Micah Mason types?  What is the most disturbing part of all of this was the foreseeability of these issues.  Again, the roster composition coming into this season was and is a complete disaster which falls squarely on this staff.

Funny thing here. Just an observation, but we got to this game very early and I watched our team in warm-up shooting around and everyone missed three's, I mean constantly. It wasn't pretty, guys throwing up knuckleballs, no backspin, everyone shooting like a chest-pass, ball even with their face,  instead of high over their head release.  Do we have any coach to coach good technique, or do we just recruit from high-light film? This might seem petty, but no one on this team is a Lockdown 3 point shooter. It just could be bad form. Anyone else notice?  

2/14/2022 8:04 pm  #36

NapaDuke wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Funny thing here. Just an observation, but we got to this game very early and I watched our team in warm-up shooting around and everyone missed three's, I mean constantly. It wasn't pretty, guys throwing up knuckleballs, no backspin, everyone shooting like a chest-pass, ball even with their face,  instead of high over their head release.  Do we have any coach to coach good technique, or do we just recruit from high-light film? This might seem petty, but no one on this team is a Lockdown 3 point shooter. It just could be bad form. Anyone else notice?  

Acuff (45%) & JJ (39%) are both very good 3 point shooters & are being guarded as such by A-10 opponents. Easley (37%) is also quite strong in this area. Primo will have himself up past 34% by night's end. The rest of the team is miserable.

The first 2 guys I mentioned would be considered "knockdown shooters" at any level with numbers like that. To say otherwise seems like piling on.

2/14/2022 8:28 pm  #37

phil95 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Acuff (45%) & JJ (39%) are both very good 3 point shooters & are being guarded as such by A-10 opponents. Easley (37%) is also quite strong in this area. Primo will have himself up past 34% by night's end. The rest of the team is miserable.

The first 2 guys I mentioned would be considered "knockdown shooters" at any level with numbers like that. To say otherwise seems like piling on.

Were do we rank in the A-10 in 3 pointers?

2/14/2022 9:41 pm  #38

NapaDuke wrote:

phil95 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

The Dukes rank 12th out of 14 teams. They are shooting 32.5% for the season , ahead of only Fordham and George Washington.

2/14/2022 10:17 pm  #39

ghost wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

phil95 wrote:

The Dukes rank 12th out of 14 teams. They are shooting 32.5% for the season , ahead of only Fordham and George Washington.

Thanks for the stat. I think as a team our 3's might be low because we don't set up plays to launch 3's as much as other teams. A lot of KD's plays are to go inside for 2's, and our 3's seem to come from individual effort. Sometimes, like tonight, Jackie is launching one or two from the parking lot early on the clock. Davidson was definitely working for open 3's tonight and getting them.   

Board footera