Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2022 6:25 pm  #1

Game Thread - St. Bonaventure University Bonnies (A)

6:00pm EST tip on Saturday 02/19/2022 at the Reilly Center, Olean, NY
Per KenPom:
Dukes #275 (6-18; 1-11 A-10) vs St. Bonaventure University Bonnies #88 (16-7; 8-4 A-10)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 15, 76-61 - Dukes with 9% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 14½ point underdogs; Over/Under 135
Duquesne 8-16 Against the Spread: St. Bonaventure 9-14 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Bradley (89); UC Irvine (122); UMass (186)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Northeastern (267); Bowling Green (256); Marshall (234)
St. Bonaventure Best Win(s): Boise St. (33); Marquette (39); Saint Louis (50)
St. Bonaventure Worst Loss(es): George Mason (106); Northern Iowa (103); Richmond (86)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Turnover % (30)  
Offensive Weakness: None
Defensive Strength: FT Rate (21)
Defensive Weakness: None

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (3); Offensive Rebound % (3)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (3)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Turnover % (90); Offensive Rebound % (94)
Offensive Weakness: FT Rate (348); Effective FG % (336)
Defensive Strength: FT Rate (5)
Defensive Weakness: Offensive Rebound % (305); Effective FG % (293)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (14); Effective FG % (14)
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (1)
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (13); Effective FG % (13)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
St. Bonaventure Adj Offense Efficiency - 110.2; 59 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 107.0; 263 in D-1
St. Bonaventure Adj Defense Efficiency - 101.3; 142 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 98.1; 265 in D-1
St. Bonaventure Adj Tempo - 65.9; 264 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 66.1; 255 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - St. Bonaventure 2.71 yrs; 10 in D-1; Dukes 0.74 yrs; 353 in D-1
Average Height - St. Bonaventure 77.3"; 115 in D-1; Dukes 77.0"; 162 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 279th in the country.
St. Bonaventure is 92nd in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=381&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

2/18/2022 7:01 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure University Bonnies (A)

Their worst loss would be easily our second best win. I’m not sure I’ve ever been less optimistic about a game; and I was a student during the Nee years. I’ll still be watching though cause I’m a glutton for punishment.

Last edited by luckymcd (2/18/2022 7:02 pm)

2/18/2022 7:22 pm  #3

Unfortunately I have reservations of giving 15. Would Schmidt choose to bury the Dukes? At the end with scrub time  the Dukes could cover. Again this season is over. Final point why not throw Hima in against the big O of the Bonnie’s. Develop the kid. Unfortunately, this will not happen. Miller time come May 1.🙏🙏🙏

2/18/2022 8:47 pm  #4

I was wrong. Two weeks ago I posted two wins for the Dukes by the end of the year and used it as the over/under.  Most took over, one or two under. We are now at the place in the season of deciding whether the Dukes will lose by the spread or won’t because the other team will put their walk ins in early.  It’s so bad the A10 cancelled our game against George Mason. Wow!

2/19/2022 6:19 pm  #5

Looks like they got worse since the GW blowout.   Not sure how thats even possible.

2/19/2022 6:58 pm  #6

No it’s not the coach ! It’s the players the coach recruits. End result it is the coach !! Enough said !!

2/19/2022 7:05 pm  #7

At least 3 airballs on threes. Ugly.

2/19/2022 7:41 pm  #8

Congrats to Coach Dambrot.  Ferry's worst year was the one where he had 8 wins.  By the look of things, Dambrot is going to beat that record.

2/20/2022 12:06 am  #9

The more that I think about this, the more I realize that it's most likely going to be easier to fix this problem with a coaching change than with the current staff in place. Would really like to give KD a chance to solve this but I'm not too certain that the administration will see it that way. Recruiting will be very difficult for the current coaching staff but probably not so much so with a new beginning here. Probably can negotiate something less than the 2 million left on the contract to buy KD out. Never thought I'd be saying this but certainly never expected anything like what we are seeing either. Either way I'm on board with basketball and still believe that we can win here in the A-10. GO DUKES!

Last edited by El Presidente (2/20/2022 12:09 am)

2/20/2022 12:51 am  #10

This has become a total debacle and congrats to A83 for predicting the 6 wins. At least Danny Nee beat Xavier TWICE in a season when Xavier went to the final 8 if I recall correctly. What has this coach done? Time to split ways. This coaching staff is the worst i've seen in my 45 years as a Dukes fan. All that talent Dambrot had with Carry, Weathers, Hughes, Baker, Norman, Verhoeven, TDM, Williams, Lewis, etc...They all parted ways and for the most part are thriving now, and I say "good for them". Time to cut ties with this coach. The "old school" stuff got old early on, but somehow keeps pooping up in every interview.

2/20/2022 8:22 am  #11

It's not simply the bad record that has me really down this morning. It's the seemingly poor effort that we are seeing from the players that I find to be even more egregious. Every program has some bumps in the road. Even Duke can have an off year albeit nothing like what we are experiencing, but the listless play from the team cannot be reasoned away. It's not everyone and I won't call anyone out here. These are young men who have not experienced this kind of situation before. I think many of them do not know what to make of it all nor how to react to it. It's all new and unexpected for them. The staff is responsible for much of the team attitude and from what I am seeing, it's not a good one. I'm on the outside looking in so don't know much about the inner workings or dynamic on the team. I can only go by what my eyes see and it's not a very good picture. As previously stated, I'm on board as a fan no matter what happens and will continue to support this team. If KD stays and things start to turn around, no one will be more pleased that I. If a new coaching staff is brought in at some point and things turn around, the same can be said. I just want to see the winner that I still believe Duquesne can be. GO DUKES!

2/20/2022 1:48 pm  #12

I was listening to the broadcast of the game last evening.  Jarrett and Ray described Hima as long and athletic.  Jarrett said that Hima has been playing basketball for only three years.  He said that Hima might not ever be a big time scorer but that he could be a good rim protector, defender and rebounder.  So, given that it was evident early on this season that this team was going nowhere, why wasn't Hima playing more?  He should have been, and should be now, playing at least 20-25 minutes a game.  Jarrett said that the only way that Hima is going to improve is by playing. 
I hope Hima doesn't transfer.  I fear that some other school will convince him that he won't get the coaching he needs at Duquesne and that he would do better elsewhere.  I would make keeping Hima a priority over any other player on this team and that is whether or not there is a coaching change.

2/21/2022 4:47 pm  #13

Excellent point Professor and thanks for sharing what JD said on the radio concerning Hima.  Further to your point, no one can argue that Jarrett doesn't know basketball, even though many of us have said the same thing about Hima.  That kid should have been getting minutes right of the gate this year to get him experience and let's not forget that Rotroff was out early in the season as well.  Bottom line is this kid, who has played a limited amount of basketball, has things you can't teach - athleticism, size and a huge upside.  I certainly hope he is here next year and is given more minutes the rest of this year, as you noted.  Although one could argue no one on this team is indispensable, I would certainly want Hima back and I would also like to see what Tre can do at the 4 next year.  Apart from those two I would like to see at least one of the freshman guards stick around.  As someone else noted it appears once again that the off season will be more interesting than what we are seeing this year on the floor.  

2/21/2022 7:31 pm  #14

PistolPete wrote:

Excellent point Professor and thanks for sharing what JD said on the radio concerning Hima.  Further to your point, no one can argue that Jarrett doesn't know basketball, even though many of us have said the same thing about Hima.  That kid should have been getting minutes right of the gate this year to get him experience and let's not forget that Rotroff was out early in the season as well.  Bottom line is this kid, who has played a limited amount of basketball, has things you can't teach - athleticism, size and a huge upside.  I certainly hope he is here next year and is given more minutes the rest of this year, as you noted.  Although one could argue no one on this team is indispensable, I would certainly want Hima back and I would also like to see what Tre can do at the 4 next year.  Apart from those two I would like to see at least one of the freshman guards stick around.  As someone else noted it appears once again that the off season will be more interesting than what we are seeing this year on the floor.  

Hima had 9 points last game in 15 minutes. High scorer for our team, least amount of time of court experience by KD. No excuse not playing him from start to finish these last game. He has natural talent, but the coach seems to not realize it.

Board footera