Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2022 9:40 am  #1

ESPN ARTICLE BROTHERLY LOVE WEATHERS BROTHERS SMU

Wow !!!! read Marcus comments about the disfunction & toxicity at Duquesne. I was under the impression that he was the bad guy.

2/19/2022 10:31 am  #2

Re: ESPN ARTICLE BROTHERLY LOVE WEATHERS BROTHERS SMU

Nice article. Glad they are together.

2/19/2022 12:17 pm  #3

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33311327/how-smu-twins-michael-marcus-weathers-were-reunited-one-more-unlikely-year-together-basketball

Much ado about nothing. It was dysfunctional in Marcus’ redshirt year and KD’s first year. Happy for them.

2/19/2022 1:02 pm  #4

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33311327/how-smu-twins-michael-marcus-weathers-were-reunited-one-more-unlikely-year-together-basketball

Much ado about nothing. It was dysfunctional in Marcus’ redshirt year and KD’s first year. Happy for them.

May I ask, how do you know Marcus is referring to the red shirt year ? There is nothing in the article that would suggest when the toxic people were present (what years).

2/19/2022 1:20 pm  #5

Agreed Wildwood, here is the pertinent quote:Marcus struggled to fit into his new environment, feeling for the first time as if he was surrounded by people who took the game for granted. The lack of structure took some getting used to. He couldn't understand why his teammates complained so much."I was developing anxiety and all this stuff just being around a lot of toxic guys," he said.But he learned something about himself in the process."It showed me how to be cutthroat," he said. "If you want it, you gotta go get it."What I don't like about some of this is the "lack of structure"  and I doubt if all the toxic guys holdovers as KD even said he needed to clean house after last year.  The reality is he is probably referring to a number of guys who KD recruited in the first place.

2/19/2022 1:45 pm  #6

It certainly doesn't speak well of the culture he found at Duquesne under Dambrot. Lack of structure, toxic teammates who complain and take the game for granted? And we're wondering why the early success wasn't sustainable and we're circling the drain just four years later? It also doesn't say anything about the culture changing, more that Weathers just adapted to it, became more "cutthroat". Another transfer-ineligible on that Year 1 team was Craig Randall (who's put up some big numbers for the Nets' G-league team this year). He left the program right before Year 2 started and also didn't speak well of the culture he found there. Allegations of abuse and bullying as I recall. Seems like a juicy story just waiting to be reported. Too bad we're not relevant enough for any reporter to want to bother digging into it. 

2/19/2022 2:01 pm  #7

This just seems to reinforce what we already knew….the culture was not “championship quality” which is why Dambrot cleaned house and hit the reset button.

2/19/2022 2:11 pm  #8

Wait a minute. I’m confused. I thought the problem was that Dambrot was “too old school“ and “hard on guys“, which was causing kids to leave. But now we know, from a couple of lines in a fluff piece article based on one ex-players “feelings“ that the problem is lack of structure?

2/19/2022 3:13 pm  #9

The majority of players on the team in Keith's Year 1, counting the transfer-ineligibles, were his own recruits (10) vs. six Ferry holdovers. Yes, Keith certainly didn't inherit a winning culture, but I'm not sure that's what Weathers is referring to. The lack of "structure" he describes is somewhat of an eyebrow-raiser, coming from a kid who was the poster boy of the program's revival under Keith. But if you want to belittle his "feelings" go right ahead. I would have thought Keith had wasted little time in imposing some structure, but doesn't sound like it. Maybe that's why by his own admission kids weren't going to class as late as Year 4.

Keith never really "cleaned house" either. Three of the six Ferry holdovers were seniors with no eligibility left after Year 1, another graduated with one year of eligibility left and graduate-transferred up to UConn. The only ones who remained were Mike Lewis and Kellon Taylor and neither of them made it through Year 2, with one transferring out and the other stepping away because there really wasn't much of a need or playing time for him anymore, at least that's how I remember it. I don't recall much chatter on this board about how much dysfunction, discontent and culture-clash there was in the program as the Ferry holdovers merged with the new Dambrot recruits, but perhaps I'm mis-remembering. In any case, when I look at the big picture of how the program has imploded this year and what led to that, it does make me wonder.

2/19/2022 3:57 pm  #10

KD did attempt to address any team issues when  they hired
the sports psychologist to work with the team.
It appeared to help though no mention of the psychologist
in the article.

Board footera