Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2022 1:17 pm  #26

Re: Team has checked out

A83 as I stated previously; many fans as well as respected columnist thought this was a great hire. He came from a program that posted many twenty win seasons. Unfortunately to secure him we had to pay him a million a year and give him a lengthy contract. The coach has had five seasons for himself to change my opinion of him. I was willing to take a wait and see approach. I did but I could see all the shortcomings this coach had coaching the Dukes. On the other hand regarding the AD; I have seen him being creative with scholarships, giving the coach what ever he needed to be successful, getting the funds together to revamp the new playing and training facilities. I have met with him on several occasions and in my opinion he gets checks in all the boxes except for this hire. The AD and I have talked about the coach in length and we just don’t see eye to eye on that topic. The other two sports I follow, but not to the extent of men’s basketball are women’s basketball and football. I really believe the football has been an upgrade since Harper came on board. But the Judge could maybe expand on this topic as he is more knowledgeable of the program than I. I know the women’s basketball team has hit a snag, but I like the fact that he has a shot at any local player of talent. I again would like to hear from Skeptical Al on this subject as he follows it closer. As far as the inner workings of the athletic department, I have no clue or opinion. In closing, I just think he deserves at least two shots at hiring a men’s basketball coach. 

2/20/2022 2:11 pm  #27

Wildwood, the girls team will be fine. In addition, they made an excellent hire in Assistant Coach Rick Bell. He is a proven winner.  I now look at the year when the Dukes won over 20 as the anomaly. Last year, this year, and if he stays, next year will be the norm.  He is not going to quit. Why give up 2 million dollars when you know the school can’t buy you out. But this has to be his last contract. He has not evolved.  These kids, if they stay, aren’t all of a sudden going to be good!  For the players that come here, it will be rebuilding again. I look for two more losing seasons after this year unless a coach who can manage kids and the portal in 2022 is hired.  And from what you just said about Harper, sounds like he can’t see the truth. 

2/20/2022 2:17 pm  #28

Fam, in his defense it was before this losing streak that he strode by his man. Around Christmas time. For our sake, Hopefully his opinion has changed.

2/20/2022 10:45 pm  #29

We're paying a million dollars a year for this crap. Fire him and let's move to the MAC where we belong.

2/21/2022 8:25 am  #30

rittersdiner wrote:

We're paying a million dollars a year for this crap. Fire him and let's move to the MAC where we belong.

If you mean the MAC as in Kent St, Akron, Ohio U and the Michigan schools, Central, Eastern, and Western; They are all State schools, so Duquesne really doesn’t belong at all! 
The A-10 is the right fit for Duquesne; but it needs to do what it takes to compete in Mens Basketball.  It seems to compete quite well in the A-10 in other sports such as swimming and diving, mens and women’s soccer, cross-country, women’s basketball, and volleyball.  It just makes no sense that Mens basketball, the signature sport for the school has been such a problem.

2/21/2022 8:45 am  #31

Wildwood13:  I have absolutely NO CLUE to the inner workings of the Athletic Department -  In the recent back and forth -  my thoughts about Coach Burt (and the staff) came out I'm completely in his corner - at least for now.  Two additional points I would like to make in a Men's vs. Women's --  Even though they might have missed out on some local talent this year - at least Western PA produces enough talent on a yearly basis that DU can at least be competitive on an A-10 level (even if they lose the best to "our Friends up the road in Oakland")  If the men got the BEST players from the area - not sure this would be the case.
And while women's programs do lose players to the portal - it is on a much lower level than the men -- Even schools like Bobby Mo kind of have to reinvent more than one would expect.

As for my thoughts on the Men's Program as a whole --  Deeply disappointing --  It's not just the losses themselves but the margin (s) of victory --  Falling way behind early --   As for topics like in game items (playing time/ zone vs man to man / offensive sets etc)  I kind of take the approach that the staff has way more information at their disposal than I --  it's their job that is on the line - just hope they make the right decisions 

2/21/2022 9:18 am  #32

When the mob has lit the torches, I know it’s too late for talking. But here are a few of the reasons why I'm not in the "fire Dambrot Camp”.

When Dambrot was hired nearly everyone thought it was a good, if not great, hire. The reasons were 1) his record at Akron, 2) his Duquesne connection, and 3) he was supposedly the top candidate when Everhart was let go. Nos. 2 and 3 were probably more “fluff” but they suggested he was a good “fit”. Whether a guy who was successful one place will be the right fit at another is always a crapshoot. But No. 1 suggested he was well-qualified - he won a lot, he won regularly, and he did so at a lower budget mid-major- it sure looked like he could win here.

Based on that success at Akron, I’m not sold on the he can't "evaluate/recruit/coach" criticisms. I just don't think a guy could win like he did without being able to do those 3 things. The MAC and A-10 aren’t that different. It’s fun as a fan to question sets, and use of TOs, and substitution patterns. But I don’t think I know better than a D1 coach with his record. Maybe some of you feel you do. I just don’t.

Because I don’t think the conferences are that different, I think you can win in the A10 with good MAC players. You might not be Dayton, but you can play with them and even beat them. People raise the talent of the guys who left, to criticize player retention. People suggest if they had stayed, DU would be challenging for the A10. Maybe. But those same people want to overlook that this staff found and signed those guys in the first place.

I agree that there is reason to be concerned about the rate of players leaving. What I don't agree with is using rumors, gossip, and innuendo to speculate that it's all the coach’s fault. His responsibility, yes. His fault, I don’t know. If there is some problem with the culture of the program, that’s something for the administration to address. Not a message board. If you trust the AD to make the next hire, trust him to address whatever problem is causing the turnover. If it’s on the staff, then I’d agree maybe a change needs to be made. But I don’t agree with raising unconfirmed stuff on a message board. Just not sure how that helps the program.

BTW, some seem to forget that Hughes, Weathers, and TDM only had another year because of COVID. IMO them not coming back was not the problem. Not being ready for them leaving is a legitimate concern. I don't like saying anything that sounds like criticism of individual players. They are college kids. So, I will just say that I am not overwhelmed with the transfers brought in to replace the guys who left. For that reason, I think it's fair to question whether the staff can adjust to the portal. But for me it is too soon to make that judgment.

I would say the same thing about thinking that the increased coaches’ pay, the renovation of facilities, and the other upgrades to the program should have already been a cure-all. Those upgrades were much-needed and late in coming. They closed the gap on the programs we want to be like. They should help Duquesne compete for recruits against the programs we are chasing. But I think it’s naïve to think that would happen in the first year in the renovated facility. The staff still has nearly 50 years of losing and lack of interest in the program to deal with, which is another reason I don't get the moaning and groaning on a public message board that recruits and their families can read.

For those who think that's what a message board is for, at least think about your timing. The season is still going on. This season is going to end, likely much earlier than any of us want. There will be plenty of time for the “fire the coach” stuff. I agree that it looks like many of the players have checked out. Losing sucks and most of these players aren’t used to losing. Keeping them motivated is undoubtedly hard. Do you think it’s helpful for them to read that they aren’t A-10 players, their coaches should be fired, etc.?

Circling back to the question of fit. Maybe Dambrot is not the right fit. Maybe the portal and other changes in the game or culture have contributed to him not being the right fit. If the admin decides that, I will support a decision to move on. But I am tired of the coaching carousel. Nine or 10 guys since Red. Most for what, 4 or 5 years. I lack the confidence of some that the increased pay, renovated facility, and other upgrades will necessarily get us "the right coach."  Those changes were necessary to convince Dambrot. What else might be needed to convince the next guy? Does DU have the money and commitment?  If not, might Duquesne be better off giving Dambrot a few more years to see if what looked like progress was progress or if he is not the right guy?

2/21/2022 10:54 am  #33

Steelbowl,
Well written!  It's great to have various thoughts.  There are many things that concern me, but related to what is going on is the following:  Last year, during COVID, he did not adjust well.  Everyone went through it and in going through it, we "heard" about a difficult culture...and actually through his innuendos.  Now, this year, at the beginning of the year he said this was his best team ever, and yes, the team has quit on him so two years in a row, He has lost the players.  I don't think most believe he lost the X's and 0's, but I don't think it's too far-fetched to think there is an issue with his leadership when for the SECOND year in a row, he has lost a certain control of the team.  I would love to hear your thoughts on this and again, thank you for a well written and thought-out post.

2/21/2022 11:42 am  #34

We gotta hold on, LeBron is going back to Cleveland, his son will want to be close to him(2023-24 season), and will come to DUQ for 1 year, and then Cavs will draft him and him and his dada can play a year together in the NBA(2024-25).   So Dambrot will get his 2 more years here, the last of which will feature Bronny James and a top 10 recruiting class, James will bring a couple stars with him.  Dambrot will have 1 year to accomplish all the goals at DU, winning championships, and ride off into the sunset a winner.   there will be a movie written about it someday.
You old timers just need to hang in there a few more years.

2/21/2022 12:23 pm  #35

I don't know what's going on.  

Some will say I'm making excuses. I never followed Akron, but when he was hired, I don't remember hearing about this kind of problem there. If it was, I guess one could question the hire. But if it wasn't, I find it kind of odd that all of a sudden, he has some character flaw. 

Is he really no longer able to relate to the players? Maybe the portal and ease of transferring just make it that much harder to run "an old-school” program. Is he taking chances on kids that he otherwise wouldn't recruit because DU is a tougher sale than he thought or is he just making bad decisions on some kids thinking he will get them to buy in?  Maybe having guys compete for playing time is a problem players can't handle or is creating what some think is a cutthroat culture? Keep in mind just about every kid in D1 was a star somewhere. Maybe they feel entitled to playing time. Last year's .500 season was disappointing with the talent I thought they had. This year, despite the "best team” comment I had no idea what to expect, except I did not expect this. Is it the losing that is causing problems or making problems much worse? Were kids willing to put up with an old-school coach or competitive culture or lack of PT when they were winning but won't when they're losing? 

I have no idea and hate even speculating.

2/21/2022 12:51 pm  #36

Townson,
I guess weed is legal in your state.

2/21/2022 3:52 pm  #37

FAM wrote:

Townson,

Thinking the same thing. Great post. Well, what else do we have to hang our hats on these days? I'm all in!!
GO DUKES!!!!!

2/21/2022 4:29 pm  #38

This is all such a mess.   He lost me forever with the “I don’t recruit against Dayton” comment.   Even if it’s true you don’t say it. 

We are two years away from a new coach.   It won’t get better.

2/21/2022 5:13 pm  #39

I hated that comment as well A83, along with several of the other doozies KD dropped on us!  One other point to again raise is that this staff and KD are responsible for the roster constituency last year and this year so its fair to assert that maybe some new staff blood would help with recruiting.  As someone noted, a fatal flaw has been that we have not been able to recruit above the initial transfers that KD brought in, and then keep them on the team.  Last year's roster wasn't team oriented and complained and now this year's team has quit on Dambrot, after he told us how good the attitude of his current players is when compared to last year - remember how he said Easley wouldn't complain when he would got pulled out of a game, unlike players last year.  Well fair question, where is the real problem here?

2/21/2022 5:52 pm  #40

SteelBowl wrote:

When the mob has lit the torches, I know it’s too late for talking. But here are a few of the reasons why I'm not in the "fire Dambrot Camp”.

When Dambrot was hired nearly everyone thought it was a good, if not great, hire. The reasons were 1) his record at Akron, 2) his Duquesne connection, and 3) he was supposedly the top candidate when Everhart was let go. Nos. 2 and 3 were probably more “fluff” but they suggested he was a good “fit”. Whether a guy who was successful one place will be the right fit at another is always a crapshoot. But No. 1 suggested he was well-qualified - he won a lot, he won regularly, and he did so at a lower budget mid-major- it sure looked like he could win here.

Based on that success at Akron, I’m not sold on the he can't "evaluate/recruit/coach" criticisms. I just don't think a guy could win like he did without being able to do those 3 things. The MAC and A-10 aren’t that different. It’s fun as a fan to question sets, and use of TOs, and substitution patterns. But I don’t think I know better than a D1 coach with his record. Maybe some of you feel you do. I just don’t.

Because I don’t think the conferences are that different, I think you can win in the A10 with good MAC players. You might not be Dayton, but you can play with them and even beat them. People raise the talent of the guys who left, to criticize player retention. People suggest if they had stayed, DU would be challenging for the A10. Maybe. But those same people want to overlook that this staff found and signed those guys in the first place.

I agree that there is reason to be concerned about the rate of players leaving. What I don't agree with is using rumors, gossip, and innuendo to speculate that it's all the coach’s fault. His responsibility, yes. His fault, I don’t know. If there is some problem with the culture of the program, that’s something for the administration to address. Not a message board. If you trust the AD to make the next hire, trust him to address whatever problem is causing the turnover. If it’s on the staff, then I’d agree maybe a change needs to be made. But I don’t agree with raising unconfirmed stuff on a message board. Just not sure how that helps the program.

BTW, some seem to forget that Hughes, Weathers, and TDM only had another year because of COVID. IMO them not coming back was not the problem. Not being ready for them leaving is a legitimate concern. I don't like saying anything that sounds like criticism of individual players. They are college kids. So, I will just say that I am not overwhelmed with the transfers brought in to replace the guys who left. For that reason, I think it's fair to question whether the staff can adjust to the portal. But for me it is too soon to make that judgment.

I would say the same thing about thinking that the increased coaches’ pay, the renovation of facilities, and the other upgrades to the program should have already been a cure-all. Those upgrades were much-needed and late in coming. They closed the gap on the programs we want to be like. They should help Duquesne compete for recruits against the programs we are chasing. But I think it’s naïve to think that would happen in the first year in the renovated facility. The staff still has nearly 50 years of losing and lack of interest in the program to deal with, which is another reason I don't get the moaning and groaning on a public message board that recruits and their families can read.

For those who think that's what a message board is for, at least think about your timing. The season is still going on. This season is going to end, likely much earlier than any of us want. There will be plenty of time for the “fire the coach” stuff. I agree that it looks like many of the players have checked out. Losing sucks and most of these players aren’t used to losing. Keeping them motivated is undoubtedly hard. Do you think it’s helpful for them to read that they aren’t A-10 players, their coaches should be fired, etc.?

Circling back to the question of fit. Maybe Dambrot is not the right fit. Maybe the portal and other changes in the game or culture have contributed to him not being the right fit. If the admin decides that, I will support a decision to move on. But I am tired of the coaching carousel. Nine or 10 guys since Red. Most for what, 4 or 5 years. I lack the confidence of some that the increased pay, renovated facility, and other upgrades will necessarily get us "the right coach."  Those changes were necessary to convince Dambrot. What else might be needed to convince the next guy? Does DU have the money and commitment?  If not, might Duquesne be better off giving Dambrot a few more years to see if what looked like progress was progress or if he is not the right guy?

This is the most level-headed post I've read on this board. 

For those who want KD fired, I vaguely recall it being said on this board during the end of the JF era that contract buyouts are customarily less than the full salary. (Lord knows, DU should be expert at firing Men's Basketball coaches by now.)  However for those who think $1 million/year is a lot, it's now middling for the A-10, so I doubt we're getting Miller or Mack for that. We'll get a climber. I don't argue that the program is a mess, but think it's reasonable that prospects notice (and if they haven't, competing coaches will remind them) that KD hasn't been granted a contract extension ("He's getting old, he's losing, and he won't be around by time you graduate."). It's true he has been given a number of things his predecessors never had, but it's darn hard to recruit under these conditions.

On an amusing/positive note: I like the Bronny idea. We can make bumper stickers that say: "Bronny to the Bluff."

2/21/2022 7:46 pm  #41

scduke, I've talked to guys in the biz and the way it typically works with how a coach gets paid is if he is let go he gets his "base salary" for whatever length of time remains on this contract.  There is usually additional monies that a coach gets paid while he is still coaching and that total amount may be what the public hears, but again the buy-out is usually less as it is limited to the base salary.  The problem is that I suspect that we had to guarantee KD base salary + whatever else he would be paid to lure him to the Bluff.  I in fact said to someone else that DU should in fact be paying more if we really want to compete.  It is all the behind the door stuff (housing, mode of travel, food plan, bball budget, facilities etc.) that makes programs successful the vast majority of the time.  So no matter who is coaching we need to keep up and keep improving.  It is sad that it would really not take so so much to win at DU and then all the benefits from success would follow.  This is why recruiting is so crucial, you just can't have a lot of misses or lose guys off your roster who are A-10 quality players.  This is why relationships between players and coaching staff is so critical.  Close relationships breed loyalty and contentment.  As to the recruiting pitch by opposing coaches that KD won't be there in 2 years or whatever, the portal has changed the recruiting to more like a 2 year cycle anyway.  Someone is under the radar and they get good in the first year or two at a mid-major then you can be sure other Power 5's will be poaching your roster.  I was told that assistant coaches at bigger schools have even acknowledged that to a contact of mine who is in the business.  They simply recruit proven guys off of your roster as opposed to unproven high school players - excluding HS guys that Duke, NC or Kentucky go after.  Hell, look at the kid who was at Davidson now playing for Kentucky and Tre Mitchell from UMass playing at Texas.  The thing about the portal though is it works both ways as dissatisfied players on a Power 5 that want more PT will transfer to a school like DU.  We just have to be able to get the right guy from some other school and then they are less likely to transfer once here as they would have to sit out a year unless they drop down a level (DII). 

2/21/2022 7:58 pm  #42

A good example of how solid relationships between a player and coach foster loyalty and contentment is St. Bonaventure.  Do you not think for a moment other Power 5 teams haven't tried to poach Kyle Lofton and Osun Osunniyi off of Schmidt????  So why do so many of our good players decide to transfer?  Does their relationship or lack thereof with KD have anything to do with it?  I would just ask does KD relate well enough to young players at this point in his life and career? 

2/21/2022 8:05 pm  #43

FAM wrote:

Townson,

Too funny. LOL.

2/21/2022 8:33 pm  #44

Hey AD Harper, Juwan Howard might be available!

2/21/2022 8:47 pm  #45

I haven't posted during the season because quite frankly I've been disgusted with the team and effort.  I've stuck to watching tennis and the NBA.  That said, here are some of my thoughts:

1.  Dambrot should get one more season.  I know it isn't what many people want, but he has earned it.  This season has been as bad as Nee's final year, but the previous seasons have not been. College hoops is like free agency anymore, so maybe Dambrot can rearrange the roster through the portal.  Remember, many people wanted Everhart to leave as well.  Be careful what you wish for.

2.  I keep seeing mentioned of the Miller brothers on the board.  I find it extremely unlikely that Archie won't be coaching at a P5 school.  In fact, I suspect Sean will be at Pitt and Archie will be at NC State soon.  The last time we conducted a search we offered and failed to secure:  King Rice, Dane Fife, and some other random coach I can't even remember until we settled on Dambrot, a move I must remind everyone that was essentially praised.

3.  If we do go after another coach, I hope Kenya Hunter gets a look.  He is an absolutely incredible recruiter and a solid coach.  The IU fans were irate about the Woodson hire but when they found out Hunter was staying many calmed down.  DU needs talent, and I think he could bring us to a level above many of our previous coaches. He would absolutely take the job and look to restore his alma mater.  

4.  Chris Mack would be an absolutely bonkers (in a good way) hire, but again, I think we would be really hard pressed to land him.  I wouldn't mind Pat Kelsey (his former Associate Head coach) either.  If Mack thinks he can win with us, then I would probably take him over any other coach (including Archie Miller).  

4.  It's crazy to me that the Pgh area has 3 coaches who are perceived to be good, yet all 3 local teams are absolutely terrible this season.  I think the transfer portal has really screwed with some coaches, especially a guy like Dambrot who has always won with 4 year seniors.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

2/21/2022 9:12 pm  #46

I would like to point out that we all want a winning program. No one disagrees with that.  But, this coach is at the end of his career, didn't bring in the talent to create a sustained winning program and is in (even for DU) an historic losing season.  We and the administration need to focus on next year or two, bringing in a coach, that most likely should be an assistant from a winning program in our level of conf. play, like a Dayton or a Butler, that is young and has ideas of their own with the BB IQ of the Head coaches that they mentor under. For one thing, being younger and most likely being a top recruiter from their present team gives them the incite for what they would want on their team. I really do not want to see one more head coach from another lower league come in here. Start with some young guy and give him a chance to succeed. Heck, why not.  Being in last place gives us the liberty of trying an unknown, because, what can happen? They hurt the system and end up in last place? Heck, we are there. There is no place but up.

2/21/2022 9:46 pm  #47

townsonkid wrote:

We gotta hold on, LeBron is going back to Cleveland, his son will want to be close to him(2023-24 season), and will come to DUQ for 1 year, and then Cavs will draft him and him and his dada can play a year together in the NBA(2024-25).   So Dambrot will get his 2 more years here, the last of which will feature Bronny James and a top 10 recruiting class, James will bring a couple stars with him.  Dambrot will have 1 year to accomplish all the goals at DU, winning championships, and ride off into the sunset a winner.   there will be a movie written about it someday.

LeBron's son has about as much chance of playing his one and done year at Duquesne as I do of watching his debut from my hot tub with Jessica Alba and Christina Hendricks!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/21/2022 9:57 pm  #48

Simms wrote:

I haven't posted during the season because quite frankly I've been disgusted with the team and effort.  I've stuck to watching tennis and the NBA.  That said, here are some of my thoughts:

1.  Dambrot should get one more season.  I know it isn't what many people want, but he has earned it.  This season has been as bad as Nee's final year, but the previous seasons have not been. College hoops is like free agency anymore, so maybe Dambrot can rearrange the roster through the portal.  Remember, many people wanted Everhart to leave as well.  Be careful what you wish for.

2.  I keep seeing mentioned of the Miller brothers on the board.  I find it extremely unlikely that Archie won't be coaching at a P5 school.  In fact, I suspect Sean will be at Pitt and Archie will be at NC State soon.  The last time we conducted a search we offered and failed to secure:  King Rice, Dane Fife, and some other random coach I can't even remember until we settled on Dambrot, a move I must remind everyone that was essentially praised.

3.  If we do go after another coach, I hope Kenya Hunter gets a look.  He is an absolutely incredible recruiter and a solid coach.  The IU fans were irate about the Woodson hire but when they found out Hunter was staying many calmed down.  DU needs talent, and I think he could bring us to a level above many of our previous coaches. He would absolutely take the job and look to restore his alma mater.  

4.  Chris Mack would be an absolutely bonkers (in a good way) hire, but again, I think we would be really hard pressed to land him.  I wouldn't mind Pat Kelsey (his former Associate Head coach) either.  If Mack thinks he can win with us, then I would probably take him over any other coach (including Archie Miller).  

4.  It's crazy to me that the Pgh area has 3 coaches who are perceived to be good, yet all 3 local teams are absolutely terrible this season.  I think the transfer portal has really screwed with some coaches, especially a guy like Dambrot who has always won with 4 year seniors.

Simms,
I enjoyed what you wrote, I just can't agree with one item which is hiring Kenya Hunter.  Went to school at the same time, lived in the dorms as well.  I would probably drop my 4 seats or at least give it serious consideration.

2/22/2022 8:34 am  #49

I remember Dr. John Murray used to say. State subsidized schools such as Penn State Pitt WVU can make mistakes financially impacting their bottom line. State schools can recover from a serious medical condition such as a stroke or heart attack. Duquesne on the other hand as a PRIVATE Catholic University can’t afford to catch the flu or a bad cold. Does anyone on this board really believe Coach Dambrot  will turn this mess around with his current roster, recruits or portal transfers. How long would Dambrot last in the NFL? CEO of a national corporation. How about your own small business? Duquesne is not a government job. If as many posters have estimated 500 fans at best per home game. Can you imagine next year.(250)Unfortunately, due to the current state of the economy due to inflation the buyout number may indeed become a viable option. Sorry 1 million dollar contract a two way street between the parties. Unfortunately, I threw away my Murray On Contracts book.

2/22/2022 11:07 am  #50

Tejas_Duke wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

LeBron's son has about as much chance of playing his one and done year at Duquesne as I do of watching his debut from my hot tub with Jessica Alba and Christina Hendricks!

Tell Jess I said hi.

Board footera