Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2013 2:12 pm  #26

Re: University of New Hampshire

A few comments on the last few posts; no doubt that the coaches and players need to step it up on defensive intensity.  I thought Dominique showed some intensity on defense and Micah made some big plays on defense down the stretch to give us a chance to win.  The other guards need to challenge people and take away their string hand.  The little lefty guard had nothing on the right side yet we allowed him to go left and sink some huge shots in the 2nd half.  Guards need to be more aware of these obvious weaknesses and exploit them.  Bigs need to have a better understanding of when to help and stop the drive to the basket.
In regard to the final possession however, I need to disagree with the above comments about DC taking the shot over Micah.  The UNH coaches obviously knew Micah's reputation.  They had him bracketed with two defenders on the inbounds play.  They were not going to let Micah take the last shot.  DC got a pretty decent look and hit the front rim, probably another inch and it's a tie game.  I understand that some of you only see the the game on the web feed, and may not be able to see all that we see at the Palumbo.

Last edited by levon1975 (11/14/2013 2:14 pm)

11/14/2013 3:20 pm  #27

CLK wrote:

Just read the A10 board and it cracks me up that some DU fans are blaming Everhart for last night's suck performance by the Dukes.  Ferry has all of his players except for one, and the lone remaining Everhart guy that could have made a big positive difference defensively did not even get to play.  This loss to an inferior team was about lack of defensive effort, selfish play, and poor coaching.  To blame this loss on Everhart is insane. Coach Ferry talks about how the Dukes sucked defensively and how it was unacceptable.

If you are refering to me, I didn't blame the loss on Everhart.  Someone asked if he left us with anything, which he did not.  Granted, he was supposed to land an alledgedly awesome recruiting class, but we will never know how that would have panned out.  I also mention how Everhart got us more success than our program was used to.  And Steve, who this board typically attacks, flat out said that Everhart was not to blame at all.  My first thought when this game ended was that it would have never happened under Ron.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/14/2013 3:24 pm  #28

Levon, "good" look or not, he's a 20% shooter from that range. How about drawing up a screen to get Mason free or something?

11/14/2013 4:22 pm  #29

May 3 cents:
-Our defense is a problem - it was in the first win
-These guys haven't played together long enough
-This year will be ups and downs - I hope we are able to get some ups against some good teams
-I think we will get smashed against WVU for the following reasons:
          -They blew a lead the other day and Huggins won't let that happen again
         -We won't be able to guard their big men
        - They will remember losing to us last year

11/14/2013 5:18 pm  #30

ElDuque wrote:

Levon, "good" look or not, he's a 20% shooter from that range. How about drawing up a screen to get Mason free or something?

We don't know that there were not other options on the play; and you can't count on getting someone free with a screen with only 4.8 seconds left; but DC has consistently been hitting the "three" in the first two games.  With less than 5 seconds left in the game; and the ball at the far end of the court,  I'll take that shot. 

Micah will be very important part of this team as the season progresses.  He hit a three  to bring us back, and narrowly missed hitting one to put us ahead in the last minute.  The Dukes were looking for Micah, and setting him up for those shots down the stretch; which is a good sign going forward. I was most impressed with his overall game.  He was our best defender down the stretch making steals and knocking the ball loose on another occasion, also getting a nice assist on a fast break and getting fouled on a "take" on another fast break.  Micah was one of the positives to take away from this game.  Putting things in perspective, we got to the hoop at will for much of the game, our best player had what might be his worst game, we played a team that collectively had a career shooting night, and we lost by 3.  Things will get a lot better when the guys learn the defense and understand the intensity that you need to bring to every game at this level.

11/14/2013 5:26 pm  #31

ElDuque wrote:

Minimally, we're losing half a season for each one unless they redshirt. You might be right about their importance to the team. Watching the Dukes last night, it's hard not to envision another 1-15 (or worse) record in the A-10.

Not having the two bigs is a huge setback. They were high level recruits for us, and it was important to get them in the flow as we built for the future. I figured we would take some lumps, but could become a dangerous team by February, which would set us up to take a substantial step forward next year, and then become a serious contender by Colter and Jones' senior year. Not having them throws us off schedule. Good players 6'8" and above are not that common in the A10, and we were set up to have quite a few. It's making me sick.

11/14/2013 7:50 pm  #32

levon, I'm still not sold on Colter, and an ugly, embarrassing loss to New Hampshire hasn't done anything to change that. But I don't want to dwell on that. Soko indeed was quite a disappointment last night. The guys who outplayed him (badly) were not as highly rated as he is. 

FAM, that is right on the money, especially the part about the defense. We will get our doors blown off every night if we can't defend.

Board footera