Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2022 7:09 am  #1

Game Thread - Davidson College Wildcats (H)

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 02/23/2022 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #279 (6-19; 1-12 A-10) vs Davidson College Wildcats #54 (22-4; 12-2 A-10)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 11, 76-65 - Dukes with 16% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 8½ point underdogs; Over/Under 137½
Duquesne 8-17 Against the Spread: Davidson 14-11 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Bradley (89); UC Irvine (122); UMass (186)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Northeastern (267); Bowling Green (256); Marshall (234)
Davidson Best Win(s): Alabama (20); Saint Louis (59); VCU (68)
Davidson Worst Loss(es): Rhode Island (130); New Mexico St. (82); VCU (68)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Davidson for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Effective FG % (10); Turnover % (18)
Offensive Weakness: Offensive Rebound % (297)
Defensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (25)
Defensive Weakness: Turnover % (277)

Here's a look at Davidson in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (1); FT Rate (1); Turnover % (2)
Offensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (11)
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (3)
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (13)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Turnover % (92)
Offensive Weakness: FT Rate (348); Effective FG % (339)
Defensive Strength: FT Rate (4)
Defensive Weakness: Offensive Rebound % (312); Effective FG % (301)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (14); Effective FG % (14)
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (1)
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (13); Effective FG % (13)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Davidson Adj Offense Efficiency - 117.0; 12 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 107.6; 260 in D-1
Davidson Adj Defense Efficiency - 103.9; 190 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 98.4; 272 in D-1
Davidson Adj Tempo - 64.7; 320 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 66.2; 254 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Davidson 1.89 yrs; 177 in D-1; Dukes 0.72 yrs; 353 in D-1
Average Height - Davidson 78.0"; 45 in D-1; Dukes 77.1"; 145 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 295th in the country.
Davidson is 55th in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid2=4391&tid1=4355&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

2/23/2022 9:27 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - Davidson College Wildcats (H)

Somewhere along the line this team has an upset in them. Every dog has his day and all that. Could this be our day? The numbers say no but I'm thinking that Davidson might come into the Coop just a bit complacent. Someone needs to step up for the Dukes and drop 25 points. Who knows? Could be.

2/23/2022 9:31 am  #3

I can’t believe that the Dukes are only 8.5 point underdogs.  Seems like a no brainer… but I don’t bet so who knows.

2/23/2022 9:54 am  #4

I hope it is a trap game for Davidson.
They should win and cover but they could be
tired, indifferent , looking forward to the next game.
If Spears and Johnson could each drop 20,,,
Too much to hope for

2/23/2022 10:17 am  #5

Did they leave off a '1' in front of the 8.5?   

2/23/2022 10:35 am  #6

Well we were surprisingly competitive the first time around against them, but no, don't think it's a trap game. They're too well-coached and have too many shooters. Speaking of shooters, Sincere Carry scored 42 last night, 10 3-pointers. Dukes as a team have made that many 3-pointers in just two games this year (12 against Rider, 11 against Colorado). 

2/23/2022 12:40 pm  #7

El Presidente wrote:

Somewhere along the line this team has an upset in them. Every dog has his day and all that. Could this be our day? The numbers say no but I'm thinking that Davidson might come into the Coop just a bit complacent. Someone needs to step up for the Dukes and drop 25 points. Who knows? Could be.

Only if Hima starts and stays in all game. He guards the paint and the other 4 shut down the perimeter shooting. On offense, don't expect much, but Hima could out-rebound on the offensive boards.  Big guy down low would be the only difference we could make since last game. 

2/23/2022 12:45 pm  #8

I will be there, not expecting a win but to watch what if anything this coach can show me why he should be back next year. KD's strategy for the most part doesn't change from game to game. Not flexible to the players he has, most apparently, not here to develop talent.  But, hey KD, prove me wrong.

2/23/2022 2:52 pm  #9

I think the line is about right. Now if I was a betting man (which I’m generally not and especially when it comes to my teams) I’d probably take Davidson to not only win, but cover. Still I think the line makes sense.

We were competitive the first time around in what was basically a road game. We lost by 11, had it down to 6 late, and outscored them 55-45 over a 27 minute span. As someone else pointed out Dambrot’s teams usually come out pretty similarly from game to game. So a similar result can be expected.

Davidson is a good team, but not one that blows teams out very often. They beat Penn, but only by 12. They beat East Carolina, but only by 9. They beat Northeastern, but only by 10 (6 less than us by the way). They beat UMass by 10 just three days after we beat them by 4. They beat Fordham by 3, LaSalle by 4, GW by 5, and St. Joe’s by 6.

Also as someone else said we are due for an upset. Even our bad teams (which this sadly but surely is) usually find some unexpected wins. In Ferry’s first year we beat Temple. In Nee’s first year we also beat Temple. In Porter’s last year we beat St. Bonaventure and in his second year we beat Xavier. It’s hard to consistently run over conference opponents even if you are the much better team.

Last edited by luckymcd (2/23/2022 2:53 pm)

2/23/2022 4:15 pm  #10

luckymcd wrote:

I think the line is about right. Now if I was a betting man (which I’m generally not and especially when it comes to my teams) I’d probably take Davidson to not only win, but cover. Still I think the line makes sense.

We were competitive the first time around in what was basically a road game. We lost by 11, had it down to 6 late, and outscored them 55-45 over a 27 minute span. As someone else pointed out Dambrot’s teams usually come out pretty similarly from game to game. So a similar result can be expected.

Davidson is a good team, but not one that blows teams out very often. They beat Penn, but only by 12. They beat East Carolina, but only by 9. They beat Northeastern, but only by 10 (6 less than us by the way). They beat UMass by 10 just three days after we beat them by 4. They beat Fordham by 3, LaSalle by 4, GW by 5, and St. Joe’s by 6.

Also as someone else said we are due for an upset. Even our bad teams (which this sadly but surely is) usually find some unexpected wins. In Ferry’s first year we beat Temple. In Nee’s first year we also beat Temple. In Porter’s last year we beat St. Bonaventure and in his second year we beat Xavier. It’s hard to consistently run over conference opponents even if you are the much better team.

Davidson plays the bench sooner on bad teams. Not a good indicator on covering points.

Last edited by NapaDuke (2/23/2022 4:16 pm)

2/23/2022 4:42 pm  #11

NapaDuke wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

Davidson plays the bench sooner on bad teams. Not a good indicator on covering points.

Napa Duke all good points. BUT we have all watched an offensive scheme equivalent to a 5th grade Catholic grade school basketball game. No movement & motion. No screen or pick & rolls. Absolutely, no defense.  Spread the court a chuck threes. This team has checked out. Total disfunction. Time to make some $$$$. Bet the Dukes opponents. If Dambrot & staff returns next season I will be a very rich man. MDGA…. Make Duquesne Great Again. Never thought I would bet against the Dukes but this team is in a total tailspin.

2/23/2022 5:38 pm  #12

Ironduke81 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

Napa Duke all good points. BUT we have all watched an offensive scheme equivalent to a 5th grade Catholic grade school basketball game. No movement & motion. No screen or pick & rolls. Absolutely, no defense. Spread the court a chuck threes. This team has checked out. Total disfunction. Time to make some $$$$. Bet the Dukes opponents. If Dambrot & staff returns next season I will be a very rich man. MDGA…. Make Duquesne Great Again. Never thought I would bet against the Dukes but this team is in a total tailspin.

You are right. Davidson is looking for a tune-up for the tourney, and they may really put it to us.

2/23/2022 7:52 pm  #13

Did I see Rotroff in Uniform?

2/23/2022 7:56 pm  #14

WashPaRick wrote:

Did I see Rotroff in Uniform?

Nope

2/23/2022 8:49 pm  #15

This wasn't the night but an interesting starting lineup and much more energy in the first half. Acuff with a great half. Unfortunately all we have to show for it is a 24 point loss. Let's face the facts. We are a really bad team and I have to wonder if there is another win in them this season. Davidson is an outstanding team and extremely well coached. Looking forward to other observations here. 

Last edited by El Presidente (2/23/2022 8:52 pm)

2/23/2022 9:11 pm  #16

It looks like Dambrot and staff will be back next year. If anyone heard the pregame interview Dambrot acknowledged that this team does not have the talent to compete and that he will be rebuilding again for next year.  He said that his and staff are in a full rebuilding mode.

2/23/2022 9:23 pm  #17

Davidson is a machine on offense.   They do everything we dont/cant.   They dont have elite talent, but smart, disciplined, solid players that make up a really good team.  I will cheer for them in march.

2/23/2022 9:29 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

Davidson is a machine on offense. They do everything we dont/cant. They dont have elite talent, but smart, disciplined, solid players that make up a really good team. I will cheer for them in march.

And they never miss on 3's. They work well on offense and get the open look. Hima did stop them in the paint on defense, but needs work on offense to be a complete player. He had a monster block tonight.

2/23/2022 9:35 pm  #19

Please keep Coach Dambrot next year. GW & Davidson     💰 💰 Following games license to steal. Nev thought I would bet against Duquesne. Unfortunately, look at this program. Total joke.

2/23/2022 9:36 pm  #20

Any update on Williams’ knee injury?

2/23/2022 10:02 pm  #21

This is another game that confirms for me that there is plenty of talent on this team to finish somewhere between 8th & 11th in this league. Given the youth/experience of the guards, the injuries to Rotroff & Gunn, & all of these players being strangers to one another; I would have advocated for KD to be given the chance to finish his contract out had the team won enough games this season to be in one of those positions while also being noticeably better at the end of the season than at the beginning.

The recruiting could & should be better by now. However, the biggest issues to be overcome are player retention, player development, the offensive system, & the overall culture of the program. Each of these problem areas are almost certain to be noticeably further away from operating at an acceptable level at the end of season 5 than they were at the end of season 1. Couple this dismal state of affairs with one of the program's worst ever win/loss records that includes a 13 game (and counting) conference losing streak  & it seems unfathomable that any university serious about reaping the benefits of a successful men's basketball program would bring back its failing coaching staff.

Best wishes to Tre. Here's hoping he is ok.

2/23/2022 10:20 pm  #22

CLK wrote:

It looks like Dambrot and staff will be back next year. If anyone heard the pregame interview Dambrot acknowledged that this team does not have the talent to compete and that he will be rebuilding again for next year. He said that his and staff are in a full rebuilding mode.

X-Ray the wood.  See which is dead and which is merely dozing.  There is plenty of deadwood on Bluff Street.

Oh goody, another rebuild.  That should go WELL.

I personally have very little faith that this staff can locate enough talent, convince it to come to Duquesne, and mold it into a team that is successful. 

It is just very disheartening.

2/23/2022 10:23 pm  #23

CLK wrote:

It looks like Dambrot and staff will be back next year. If anyone heard the pregame interview Dambrot acknowledged that this team does not have the talent to compete and that he will be rebuilding again for next year. He said that his and staff are in a full rebuilding mode.

I repeat a comment I made earlier - 'how in the world did he misjudge the talent on this team so badly - calling it the best he had since his coming to Duquesne?'  He's right.  He needs to be in a full rebuilding mode.  But I don't have any confidence he can produce any better than last year - unless he shakes up his staff.  How do you compete in the A10 without a decent #5?   Last season, there was a focus on getting knock down 3-point shooters and point guards, and we still need them!  Ayers is streaky and Easley's shot is too flat.  We don't have a true power forward, and no one seems capable of catching the ball in traffic near the hoop.  Even Williams has trouble.  How many times has he turned the ball over on passes this year?  The offensive sets are poor - stand still, pass the ball, the first guy open - put up a 30-foot shot.  One of the better offensive plays tonight was Bekelja's no look behind the back pass to Easly for a wide-open look.  The defense was better tonight.  But I still see players who will not take a charge.  

KD gets paid a substantial sum for coaching this team and I'm sure his recruiting budget was increased when he took over.  He has no excuse, particularly if he doesn't address the talent for next year.  If he is having trouble evaluating players, get some new blood in there to help.

Sorry for venting... 1-13 does that to me.

2/23/2022 10:44 pm  #24

Tonight also showed the degree to which the coaching staff has no idea how to maximize the benefits of playing JJ & Primo big minutes while minimizing the amount of freshmen mistakes they will make each game. 

26 games into his collegiate career Primo either has no idea how to run a motion offense at this level or no inclination to do so. Nobody should expect him to be Chris Paul at this stage in his career but, he should certainly be further along than he is given the heavy minutes he has played at that point.

JJ is getting much the same treatment as TDM got in his first 2 years as a Duke in that he is being utilized almost exclusively as a 2 guard instead of taking his lumps as a lead guard so he can develop that side of his game.  

The Bekelja crap has to stop. If KD wants to send a message to other players by starting Bekelja, I am fine with that.  It is obvious that he is the teacher's pet but he doesn't belong on the court for any extended minutes.  The lion's share of the blame for the jump in Davidson's lead from 6 points to 15 points belongs to him. He got destroyed on both ends for 3-4 minutes & then the game was out of reach. If he is on the floor for more than 2 or 3 consecutive minutes, he is not the team's best 1 on 1 defender. In fact, when he gets extended minutes, he is not even a good defender; he simply can't keep up. What point is there to playing a glorified walk-on level point guard if he can't shoot, make foul shots, & play mistake free basketball? (I did appreciate the slick & practical behind-the-back pass he made to Easley for that 3.)

For the record, I really like what I know about Mike Bekelja. He would be an awesome walk-on. This rant isn't against him. It is against to the mismanagement of the program & the LOSING!

2/23/2022 11:10 pm  #25

Postgame with Dambrot. 

https://youtu.be/g-jgiT6qc4E

Board footera