Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2022 5:16 pm  #1

Rebuilding in Year 6

Pretty clear that Dambrot will be back next season from all I am hearing and seeing.  When Dambrot was hired I never thought we would be in this position.  I thought we would be playing for Championships, not digging ourselves out of a deeper hole than he inherited.  But we are where we are, and no sense in wishing things were different. 

Dambrot said that he and his staff are in full rebuild mode. There are so many holes that there are no easy patches, it has to be substantially torn down and rebuilt, which in my opinion is that he has to upgrade at all 5 positions.  We need:

1) A quality experienced transfer Point Guard. I don't think we can take a chance on a true freshman or prep school player.  Depending on who and how many players leave the program we can bring in a prep back up point.

2) We need at least two Skilled bigs (6'9" or over).  A big center and a big PF.  I am hoping one is a Bailey Steel type player who can shoot the three and play inside.

3) We need two big guards to play the SG and SF slots.  Hopefully one a proven shooter/scorer transfer from a higher-level program like Bishop fro GW.

Scholarship Math:

From above at a minimum, we need 5 scholarships to open up, plus 2 more scholarships for the two true freshman that already committed that don't fit into the player types above. We have one scholarship that opens up for Lawson, so that means at least six players have to leave.

This analysis is just from my perspective.  Others may see it differently when evaluating players and what it is going to take to vault us up to where we were in year 3 and competing for top spots.  My point is this is a very tall order (no pun intended) for a coach with this type of record.  As a DU fan I truly hope Dambrot and staff can get it done.  However, after this year I am done drinking the Kool-Aide.     

2/24/2022 5:57 pm  #2

Re: Rebuilding in Year 6

Agree with most of this. We do have Barna who we know little about but is supposed to be a good shooter. Get all the bigs we can get and sort them out later. Experienced PG is a necessity for sure. Primo has shown a high ceiling so hope he is part of next year's team at the 2. Wonder where Gunn will fit in as well. Huge task ahead for KD and staff. One that I wish them the very best with as I'm certain we all do!

Last edited by El Presidente (2/24/2022 5:58 pm)

2/24/2022 6:05 pm  #3

I'm probably in the minority here, but I still believe in Dambrot.  I expect (and require) a minimum of 19 wins next season and an above .500 record in conference.  I agree with all of the sentiments you have listed above CLK. You follow recruiting better than most, so I am expecting the type of player for Duquesne to target to go up.  I want 3-4 star offers even if we miss on most, with 2 star guys as backup options.  I know full well that the rating system can be way off (Sincere anyone?), but I'd still like to see us recruiting against other A10 schools, BE schools, and some P5s.  

Guys I REALLY want back - Tre Williams, Spears, Hima.  That's about it, although I like Acuff's game and think Easley and Ayers should be better than they are showing.  

I think the most important gets are a transfer point guard who distributes well (I think this is likely and won't be too hard, plus the new Frosh Point guard looks to be a hell of a passer), and two bigs to compliment Hima.  If we could land 2 of the 3 bigs we have recruited recently (Hermes, Cooper, and Barre) I would feel confident in the plan as I think Dambrot needs good bigs to succeed.  

I know this is silly, but I also think it would be quite the story for Keith to turn us around in his dad's memory.  We finally have a guy with a connection to Duquesne, so I am really rooting for him.  I think his press conferences have been really good tbh, and he has taken full responsibility for the results this season.  Hell, he even started working on some zone.  Maybe I'm an optimist, but his record speaks for itself and I think he has earned another season.  

On a side note, why is Kenya Hunter immedietely dismissed everytime I mention him as a potential head coach?  Was he a jerk to people on campus or something?  He has been a top assistant tat the following places:
Duquesne - A10
Xavier - A10
Georgetown (Associate HC)- Big East
Nebraska  (Associate HC) - B10
Uconn  (Associate HC) - AAC 
Indiana (Associate HC) - B10 again

He has continually upgraded his resume  I would much rather have him as our coach over someone like James Whitford (was in the running last time), or Dane Fife who doesn't have the experience of Kenya.  He would give us recruiting connections all over the place and I think he would do well.  Just my 2 cents tho.

Last edited by Simms (2/24/2022 6:58 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

2/24/2022 6:14 pm  #4

El Presidente wrote:

Agree with most of this. We do have Barna who we know little about but is supposed to be a good shooter. Get all the bigs we can get and sort them out later. Experienced PG is a necessity for sure. Primo has shown a high ceiling so hope he is part of next year's team at the 2. Wonder where Gunn will fit in as well. Huge task ahead for KD and staff. One that I wish them the very best with as I'm certain we all do!

Why isn’t Barba playing btw?  Did he hurt himself?

2/24/2022 6:24 pm  #5

CLK wrote:

Pretty clear that Dambrot will be back next season from all I am hearing and seeing.  When Dambrot was hired I never thought we would be in this position.  I thought we would be playing for Championships, not digging ourselves out of a deeper hole than he inherited.  But we are where we are, and no sense in wishing things were different. 

Dambrot said that he and his staff are in full rebuild mode. There are so many holes that there are no easy patches, it has to be substantially torn down and rebuilt, which in my opinion is that he has to upgrade at all 5 positions.  We need:

1) A quality experienced transfer Point Guard. I don't think we can take a chance on a true freshman or prep school player.  Depending on who and how many players leave the program we can bring in a prep back up point.

2) We need at least two Skilled bigs (6'9" or over).  A big center and a big PF.  I am hoping one is a Bailey Steel type player who can shoot the three and play inside.

3) We need two big guards to play the SG and SF slots.  Hopefully one a proven shooter/scorer transfer from a higher-level program like Bishop fro GW.

Scholarship Math:

From above at a minimum, we need 5 scholarships to open up, plus 2 more scholarships for the two true freshman that already committed that don't fit into the player types above. We have one scholarship that opens up for Lawson, so that means at least six players have to leave.

This analysis is just from my perspective.  Others may see it differently when evaluating players and what it is going to take to vault us up to where we were in year 3 and competing for top spots.  My point is this is a very tall order (no pun intended) for a coach with this type of record.  As a DU fan I truly hope Dambrot and staff can get it done.  However, after this year I am done drinking the Kool-Aide.     

OK, I'll bite. First, start from the Center, Hima. Too much upside potential to let him get away.  Only the very worse coach would ignore him at this point. Second Tre and Easley in the forward positions. both had to do too much on an inside oriented team this year. Next Acuff, he can hit from the 3 range on any team and seems to be a team player. Then, only if this coach sees it, Jackie Johnson is a point guard that doesn't know it. He is quicker than most D-1 players and can move around the bigs like they aren't there. But unless he can see himself setting up plays for others then maybe not. Premo, is a shooting guard that can, on his own, create space and score. But he is not a great ball handler and can't, in my view, run an offense when he is pressured.  Point guards create plays, and don't loose court vision when covered up close. Either teach Jackie to do that, or find one. The rest can help or develop, or go away. Also, bench players need to be both, team players and good enough to be starters. For me, mostly young guys, not transfers. Transfers seem to never improve the team and mostly are both a waste of recruiting time and inhibit the development of a long range program. Well, I gave you all enough to bite on. Let's hear it.

2/24/2022 6:38 pm  #6

CLK wrote:

Scholarship Math:

I am also done with drinking the Kool-Aide. As a long time suffering Duquesne fan I am moving forward with Single malt scotch. Next year will be a very uphill battle for Coach Dambrot. Hope he enjoys the Cadillac keys for another year.

2/24/2022 7:22 pm  #7

Ironduke81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Scholarship Math:

I am also done with drinking the Kool-Aide. As a long time suffering Duquesne fan I am moving forward with Single malt scotch. Next year will be a very uphill battle for Coach Dambrot. Hope he enjoys the Cadillac keys for another year.

I mostly agree with this view. KD is a formula coach. Just play the shortest time in a game. Dumb it down to 20 minutes out of 40 minutes on the court. Zero transition game. He only presses, very badly, the last few minutes of the game. Zero traps, no pressure defense.  No real aggressive offensive approach, waits till the clock runs down and a careless 3 is launched.  Most successful coaches play all 40 minutes,  press the inbound play, pressure defense up the court. Traps and step into the passing lanes for quick turnovers and quick transition baskets every opportunity.  Under KD, we have no transition game. It's not the players, just the coaching. Rebuild next year, play the same way, get the same results.

2/24/2022 7:53 pm  #8

Simms wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

Why isn’t Barba playing btw? Did he hurt himself?

Barba was red shirted because of an injury and operation  before the start of the season. Can't recall exactly but think a back issue.

2/24/2022 9:58 pm  #9

Playing the transfer game in the off-season will not be as successful as last year.  The NCAA gave a one-time free pass for players to leave and go somewhere else without having to sit out.

I don't think that is the case this year, which means we need to recruit grad-students who are looking to make an impact.  The best players will have their pick of schools to go to where they will be playing for a chance to play in the NCAA tournament.  These players are not looking to come to Duquesne.

Our best bet is to hope for to bring on a JUCO transfer or someone like Gunn who is coming up from DII and has immediate eligibility, unlike an undergrad from a DI school.

2/24/2022 10:32 pm  #10

NapaDuke wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Have you ever heard the phrase "Do the Math?" (I'm a Former Accountant)  Well above CLK has "done the math"
TOUGH to find a scenario where things work out in the near future.  It's almost like "we keep a few pieces"  the ones at the bottom of the pecking order leave..  They are replaced by players who are a much better fit.

By the way -  remember Wyoming (whom we were scheduled to play in the A-10/Mountain West Challenge)  They are towards the bottom of the Top 25 in some polls -- and the game that we were supposed to play them in was going to be at THEIR PLACE

Scholarship Math:

I mostly agree with this view. KD is a formula coach. Just play the shortest time in a game. Dumb it down to 20 minutes out of 40 minutes on the court. Zero transition game. He only presses, very badly, the last few minutes of the game. Zero traps, no pressure defense.  No real aggressive offensive approach, waits till the clock runs down and a careless 3 is launched.  Most successful coaches play all 40 minutes,  press the inbound play, pressure defense up the court. Traps and step into the passing lanes for quick turnovers and quick transition baskets every opportunity.  Under KD, we have no transition game. It's not the players, just the coaching. Rebuild next year, play the same way, get the same results.

2/24/2022 10:33 pm  #11

DU90 wrote:

Playing the transfer game in the off-season will not be as successful as last year.  The NCAA gave a one-time free pass for players to leave and go somewhere else without having to sit out.

I don't think that is the case this year, which means we need to recruit grad-students who are looking to make an impact.  The best players will have their pick of schools to go to where they will be playing for a chance to play in the NCAA tournament.  These players are not looking to come to Duquesne.

Our best bet is to hope for to bring on a JUCO transfer or someone like Gunn who is coming up from DII and has immediate eligibility, unlike an undergrad from a DI school.

They don't have to sit:

"The NCAA Division I Council ratified a new rule on Wednesday that will allow athletes in all sports to transfer once without sitting out a year in residence.The decision will primarily affect student-athletes in the five traditional “revenue sports:” baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, football and men’s ice hockey. Long-standing NCAA rules have in the past prevented athletes in these five sports from playing in their first year after transferring. However, under the NCAA’s new transfer rule, athletes from all sports will be allowed to transfer once without being required to sit out their first year."

Last edited by Simms (2/24/2022 10:34 pm)

2/24/2022 10:34 pm  #12

SkepticAl wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

2/25/2022 7:55 am  #13

El Presidente wrote:

I think you mean Barba; who I don’t believe has ever played in a game; and kind of looks more like a walk-on.  At this point I have a hard time imagining he will suddenly play a meaningful role next season.  It looks like another recruiting misfire.

2/25/2022 9:12 am  #14

levon1975 wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

I think you mean Barba; who I don’t believe has ever played in a game; and kind of looks more like a walk-on. At this point I have a hard time imagining he will suddenly play a meaningful role next season. It looks like another recruiting misfire.

Exactly who I meant. My bad! Medical red shirt as far as I know so don't know his future here. You may be quite right. 
I'm really confused about kids in the portal. Do they sit or play in year 1 this time around?

2/25/2022 9:12 am  #15

levon1975 wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

I think you mean Barba; who I don’t believe has ever played in a game; and kind of looks more like a walk-on.  At this point I have a hard time imagining he will suddenly play a meaningful role next season.  It looks like another recruiting misfire.

Barba had Div I offers as early as his sophomore year in high school. He committed to Miami of Ohio & then reopened his recruiting before his postgrad season at a scholarship factory. He was offered by at least 7 Div I schools highlighted by Tulane & Texas A & M. He was known as an excellent 3PT shooter at 6'6" with above average athleticism. #6 rated recruit in Ohio for the 2021 class.

He is definitely redshirting this year due to his recovery from back surgery as listed above.

2/25/2022 10:18 am  #16

What we need is 8 good players, not 10 so-so players and 4-5 who should be in D2 or D3.

2/25/2022 10:54 am  #17

Barba should be a big contributor next season - as long as he is not required to do more than what he can/play out of position.  Tre as well.  Gunn has upside but could easily turn into an Ayers type misfire -  you just don't know. Easley has skills and can contribute but can't rely on him to be a go to scorer.  Hima should play and get better but we can't rely on him to be our starting center next season. Acuff should be a 6th man and focus on being a 3 point threat primarily Toby is a team guy with a great attitude and energy but has shown he is a role player at best - 7th or 8th player off the bench.  Ayers?  who knows?  can't count on him, that's all i know.

We need point guard play!  Primo looks and acts the part but is way too inconsistent to rely on.  JJ is the same only worse.  I believe in both kids but can't go into next season counting on them.  

So I believe there are pieces but a PG and Center are crucial to be competitive game in and game out.  But we already knew that

I think KD is stepping down at season's end.  SO who knows what a new coach will do with the guys on the team now.  And who knows who will leave

2/25/2022 11:14 am  #18

Simms wrote:

DU90 wrote:

They don't have to sit:

"The NCAA Division I Council ratified a new rule on Wednesday that will allow athletes in all sports to transfer once without sitting out a year in residence.The decision will primarily affect student-athletes in the five traditional “revenue sports:” baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, football and men’s ice hockey. Long-standing NCAA rules have in the past prevented athletes in these five sports from playing in their first year after transferring. However, under the NCAA’s new transfer rule, athletes from all sports will be allowed to transfer once without being required to sit out their first year."

Thanks Simms - I wasn't aware of that a new rule had been passed.  I recall last year that we struck out on a few bigs that probably could have been more effective this year.  The player I wanted the most was the transfer from North Dakota that we went after but he chose to go somewhere else.

2/25/2022 11:47 am  #19

So it is two years in a row now that players can transfer and play immediately with their new team?

2/25/2022 12:03 pm  #20

El P you can't transfer twice without sitting out a year.  As to what everything else has mentioned let me add my 2 cents.  We are all in agreement we need a fairly seasoned PG for sure and at least 1 big, two would be preferable (1 PF and a true C) and a lock down wing shooter.  As to who I would like to see coming back I would say Hima for sure, Tre, JJ and Acuff.  Enough of explanation has been said about Hima and Tre, but I would like to see us keep one of the freshman PG's and I saw enough of JJ getting past his man and dishing to Rotroff several times to think with better players and offensive flow around him JJ could really develop into a very good scoring and passing PG.  Can you imagine if we have more of an inside game and then other players have to help down low and give JJ more open looks outside with the way he shoots!!!  His outside shot and range is better than Primo and I think he is a better passer.  I would also like to see Acuff stay as I think he is a good team guy, doesn't back away from adversity (I heard his press conference) and his shooting really got better from year 1 to year 2.  With open looks he too can score from outside.  Everyone else for one reason or another I really don't care about and CLK I sure hope we didn't actually sign a 5'7" PG that no one else even offered as that to me is really only going after the low hanging fruit.  There was only one Calvin Murphy.  Nuff said, Pistol out!  

2/25/2022 12:04 pm  #21

Styles1229 wrote:

Barba should be a big contributor next season - as long as he is not required to do more than what he can/play out of position.  Tre as well.  Gunn has upside but could easily turn into an Ayers type misfire -  you just don't know. Easley has skills and can contribute but can't rely on him to be a go to scorer.  Hima should play and get better but we can't rely on him to be our starting center next season. Acuff should be a 6th man and focus on being a 3 point threat primarily Toby is a team guy with a great attitude and energy but has shown he is a role player at best - 7th or 8th player off the bench.  Ayers?  who knows?  can't count on him, that's all i know.

We need point guard play!  Primo looks and acts the part but is way too inconsistent to rely on.  JJ is the same only worse.  I believe in both kids but can't go into next season counting on them.  

So I believe there are pieces but a PG and Center are crucial to be competitive game in and game out.  But we already knew that

I think KD is stepping down at season's end.  SO who knows what a new coach will do with the guys on the team now.  And who knows who will leave

What makes you think Keith is stepping down?  I don’t get that vibe at all, especially with him recruiting people during a game.  Just my thoughts though. 

Presidente - the transfer rule is forever.  That’s why college basketball is fundamentally changing.  Basically you have to constantly recruit your current players.

2/25/2022 12:30 pm  #22

I wish DU had any recruiting news.   That verbal commits site is pretty far behind, cant even find players on there you know are going P5.   I would just like to follow along.   There is NOTHING out there.   Maybe a snippet form a PG writer about a local kid.
The portal is insane, no one likes it, sit out a damn year or make better decisions, but I am not sure NCAA or whoever can go back on it without getting sued.   Horse is out of the barn.

2/25/2022 1:07 pm  #23

2/25/2022 1:16 pm  #24

townsonkid wrote:

I wish DU had any recruiting news.   That verbal commits site is pretty far behind, cant even find players on there you know are going P5.   I would just like to follow along.   There is NOTHING out there.   Maybe a snippet form a PG writer about a local kid.
The portal is insane, no one likes it, sit out a damn year or make better decisions, but I am not sure NCAA or whoever can go back on it without getting sued.   Horse is out of the barn.

My advice is to follow the recruiting threads that CLK posts.  He does a better job of tracking recruiting than any of the websites IMO.

2/25/2022 2:32 pm  #25

Would love to have one of the sports writers sit down with Harper and do a good interview on DU sports with a focus on mens and womens basketball. They have been asking the tough questions at the press conferences…it would be nice if they’d do the same with the AD.

Board footera