Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2022 3:41 pm  #1

PSN Article on Dambrot Appreciation

“ This appears to be a case of a fan base that has lost perspective and a grip on reality.”

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2022/02/25/vukovcan-duquesne-should-appreciate-what-it-has-in-keith-dambrot/

2/27/2022 3:50 pm  #2

Re: PSN Article on Dambrot Appreciation

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

“ This appears to be a case of a fan base that has lost perspective and a grip on reality.”

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2022/02/25/vukovcan-duquesne-should-appreciate-what-it-has-in-keith-dambrot/

To be clear, that is not a Dambrot quote, but a quote by the editor of the website.  I honestly Agree with the article, but I also think Keith needs to show serious improvement next season and the following..  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

2/27/2022 4:08 pm  #3

Dambrots current record at Duquesne is 71-68.

There are 2 games left in the season and one tournament game.  Just sayin…

2/27/2022 4:17 pm  #4

FAM wrote:

Dambrots current record at Duquesne is 71-68.

There are 2 games left in the season and one tournament game. Just sayin…

For a million dollars a year and likely a 71-71 record, I would clearly question him staying here at this point. And as KD and this guy mention with the portal changes affecting him maybe more than other coaches, again he is likely not the coach for today's game.

2/27/2022 4:32 pm  #5

Mike is a smart guy who knows who butters his bread.  Let's be honest, this is a PR piece. It is aimed at repairing the damage caused by this epically horrible season. It is almost irrelavent as Dambrot has already been given a Mulligan by the only person who's opinion matters. As a long-suffering DU fan, I just want to see what was originally promised by this coach five years ago, a team consistently competing to win championships, and not for this team to be perennial celller dwellers and the laughing stock of the League. If blaming the fans and calling them delusional for having higher expectations helps in recruiting better players, then have at it. 

2/27/2022 4:47 pm  #6

Right on CLK!!!  I was just talking to a couple buddies and the consensus was that we need at least 3 impact players that can come right in and start and be quality A-10 level talent.  Reading between the lines I actually think we may be looking at 5 or 6 new guys coming in next year and that would be great if they are all good.  KD cannot really afford any misses this cycle.

2/27/2022 5:27 pm  #7

Well the decision to keep Dambrot is CLEARLY based upon pure economics. Mark Cuban & another IU alum allegedly stroked the check to buy out Archie Miller. No billionaires on the bluff. This post season should be interesting. Last to first should be the motto for the 2222/23 basketball season.

Last edited by Ironduke81 (2/27/2022 5:28 pm)

2/27/2022 5:40 pm  #8

PistolPete wrote:

Right on CLK!!!  I was just talking to a couple buddies and the consensus was that we need at least 3 impact players that can come right in and start and be quality A-10 level talent.  Reading between the lines I actually think we may be looking at 5 or 6 new guys coming in next year and that would be great if they are all good.  KD cannot really afford any misses this cycle.

I started a Novena …. 📿

2/27/2022 6:01 pm  #9

Vukovcan is welcome to editorialize all he likes. His reasons for this ass-kissing article are his own. Today's facts don't really support his argument for reasons all posters are far too familiar with.

I would be thrilled to eat crow in May of 2023 when KD & Co. have successfully pulled-off a substantial turn around that the includes both a strong showing next season & the "right" players returning for the 23-24 season. I wonder if Vukovcan will be prepared to do the same, publicly, if KD's team crashes & burns again next season?

Both Harper & KD have now publicly stated that last year's recruiting was ineffective. Great. That is a fine point to make at the end of February. Has any of the university stakeholders sought outside, professional opinions on whether or not the current roster, under different leadership, should have won several-to-a-bunch more games this season & be on track to make a significant improvement next season?

I see no reason other than poor performance from the coaching staff that this team, as currently rostered, should not have a dozen total wins including 4ish in the conference. After the trip to St. Thomas it seemed obvious to me that this combination of talent & team chemistry would not yield a 20-win season. It also seemed a lock that fans could expect the team to win at least 8 or 10 more games while improving over the course of the season so much so as to be both a "tough out" come tournament time & carry positive momentum into next year.

Wouldn't the majority of fans be less likely to be calling for the coach's scalp if that modest success had been realized? Am I delusional on these points? These are sincere questions.

Since the middle of his first season, I have not liked KD's public persona. I also find his brand of basketball to be outdated & poorly executed. In my opinion, he has failed to represent the university in any great way while also falling well short of his stated promises & goals.  

This season is not a minor bump in the road where the team has only underperformed by a modest amount amidst a harder than anticipated "reboot". It has been a complete disaster exacerbated by fundamentally poor coaching & team management. Five years should be enough time to be in much better shape than the program is in today for a coach of his provenance. Who can sincerely deny that fact?

Most importantly, and the specific reasons why don't matter, this coach has not been able to keep higher quality players in the program. What are the repercussions of his falling short on that should it happen a 5th & 6th time?

Even so, if he can make a consistent winner out of this program without selling his soul, I will celebrate & support KD forever; all will be forgiven. 

The hard work needed for Year 6 starts in earnest now. I am ready to be excited about recruits & good players staying in the program. Go Dukes!!

2/27/2022 7:08 pm  #10

phil95 wrote:

Vukovcan is welcome to editorialize all he likes. His reasons for this ass-kissing article are his own. Today's facts don't really support his argument for reasons all posters are far too familiar with.

I would be thrilled to eat crow in May of 2023 when KD & Co. have successfully pulled-off a substantial turn around that the includes both a strong showing next season & the "right" players returning for the 23-24 season. I wonder if Vukovcan will be prepared to do the same, publicly, if KD's team crashes & burns again next season?

Both Harper & KD have now publicly stated that last year's recruiting was ineffective. Great. That is a fine point to make at the end of February. Has any of the university stakeholders sought outside, professional opinions on whether or not the current roster, under different leadership, should have won several-to-a-bunch more games this season & be on track to make a significant improvement next season?

I see no reason other than poor performance from the coaching staff that this team, as currently rostered, should not have a dozen total wins including 4ish in the conference. After the trip to St. Thomas it seemed obvious to me that this combination of talent & team chemistry would not yield a 20-win season. It also seemed a lock that fans could expect the team to win at least 8 or 10 more games while improving over the course of the season so much so as to be both a "tough out" come tournament time & carry positive momentum into next year.

Wouldn't the majority of fans be less likely to be calling for the coach's scalp if that modest success had been realized? Am I delusional on these points? These are sincere questions.

Since the middle of his first season, I have not liked KD's public persona. I also find his brand of basketball to be outdated & poorly executed. In my opinion, he has failed to represent the university in any great way while also falling well short of his stated promises & goals.  

This season is not a minor bump in the road where the team has only underperformed by a modest amount amidst a harder than anticipated "reboot". It has been a complete disaster exacerbated by fundamentally poor coaching & team management. Five years should be enough time to be in much better shape than the program is in today for a coach of his provenance. Who can sincerely deny that fact?

Most importantly, and the specific reasons why don't matter, this coach has not been able to keep higher quality players in the program. What are the repercussions of his falling short on that should it happen a 5th & 6th time?

Even so, if he can make a consistent winner out of this program without selling his soul, I will celebrate & support KD forever; all will be forgiven. 

The hard work needed for Year 6 starts in earnest now. I am ready to be excited about recruits & good players staying in the program. Go Dukes!!

Very well said. Spot on.

2/27/2022 7:53 pm  #11

CLK wrote:

Mike is a smart guy who knows who butters his bread.  Let's be honest, this is a PR piece. It is aimed at repairing the damage caused by this epically horrible season. It is almost irrelavent as Dambrot has already been given a Mulligan by the only person who's opinion matters. As a long-suffering DU fan, I just want to see what was originally promised by this coach five years ago, a team consistently competing to win championships, and not for this team to be perennial celller dwellers and the laughing stock of the League. If blaming the fans and calling them delusional for having higher expectations helps in recruiting better players, then have at it. 

You first two sentences say it all, CLK.  I love being called delusional when I can see failure before my eyes.

2/28/2022 7:21 am  #12

My single biggest concern and the one that has yet to be addressed is, what leads anyone to believe that the coaching staff can raise the level of players being recruited!  We all drank the KoolAid of KD saying this was his best team. I can tell you that after watching LA Pratt IMHO he is a project and NOT an immediate impact player.
Other than Gunn who supposedly was the best player, and of course that’s easy to sell since no one saw him play, can we expect a home run on 3-4 big time players coming in.

I also believe that by playing guys out of position KD had an adverse effect on their play. Once again in KD’s own words Ayers was one of his top offensive players yet out of need he attempted to put him in the PG role and once again IMHO ruined him.

2/28/2022 9:12 am  #13

How do you get 3-4, at least D1 average players, to come here?
I hope it happens, and we can cheer some wins soon.   

2/28/2022 9:37 am  #14

The Dome wrote:

My single biggest concern and the one that has yet to be addressed is, what leads anyone to believe that the coaching staff can raise the level of players being recruited!  We all drank the KoolAid of KD saying this was his best team. I can tell you that after watching LA Pratt IMHO he is a project and NOT an immediate impact player.
Other than Gunn who supposedly was the best player, and of course that’s easy to sell since no one saw him play, can we expect a home run on 3-4 big time players coming in.

I also believe that by playing guys out of position KD had an adverse effect on their play. Once again in KD’s own words Ayers was one of his top offensive players yet out of need he attempted to put him in the PG role and once again IMHO ruined him.

Well that is quite easy.  In the Harper article he said they were going to raise the level of recruiting.   Are you resting easier now?   😀

Apparently, they tried the lower level of recruiting and it did not work.

Last edited by A83 (2/28/2022 1:19 pm)

Board footera