Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2022 9:31 am  #1

These PSN articles are pure PR for the Dukes

I understand if we can’t afford to buy out Dambrot’s contract. But I would rather us be silent then to spew the garbage statements and opinions in support of the coach.
Facts ; Recruiting he has swung and missed on four of his five recruiting years. His retention rate of recruits to using their entire eligibility here is 2%.
            Win loss % in the Atlantic 10 is overall 37-50 for 42 1/2 % ( the A-10 has been at its lowest ratings as a conference during these 5 years)
             Teams have gotten progressively worse as the season goes on.
              2021-2022 started 5-7 since 1-14 and counting
              2020-2021 COVID year
              2019-2020 started 10-0 finished11-9
              2018-2019 started 8-2 finished 11-11
              2017-2018 started 9-3 finished 7-13
Now in year six we are going to start over like we did last year. Where did that get us ? 
To say I am not confident of the two signed recruits helping the Dukes, would be an understatement. Nothing against the recruits, I base this on our needs and track record of this coaching staff recruiting ability.

In the five years under Dambrot, not one player has improved during the season or from year to year.
The offense sets don’t even exist, all playground one on one with forced shots; no player movement, ball movement; screens, or back door cuts, The “defensive coach”, I don’t see it unless we are playing an inferior team, otherwise we get opponents to have career shooting percentages against us, with the wide open looks and easy layups.

Now I am supposed to appreciate a coach that I described above and his handling of the program. I think not. As I said before, this is not Akron, and I am at the point now, I only care what he does at Duquesne not his past accomplishments.

2/28/2022 10:33 am  #2

Re: These PSN articles are pure PR for the Dukes

I am with you Wildwood on the recruiting and retention, like most on this Board.  Note though that Harper said we haven't "signed anyone yet", so I am taking that to mean although those 2 guys committed, we have not signed them to LOI's yet.  We cannot afford to take any flyers on anyone that doesn't demonstrate A-10 talent coming in.  If you look at Pratt and the 5'7" PG its hard to believe they fit the bill.  Pratt apparently cannot shoot that well as a wing and the other guy is just too small and will get eaten up at this level.  This needs to be a banner recruiting year without question, but given the recruiting and retention history of this staff it is more than fair to say when I see it I'll believe it.  

2/28/2022 2:27 pm  #3

Far from any sort of expert on any of this, heck I'm barely a knowledgeable fan. However, as a proud alum, I want to see the Dukes do well and I'm going to stick by the team no matter what and cheer for their success and that of whomever is at the helm. I deserve whatever criticism comes my way for being a Pollyanna.

All that to ask another question regarding an issue that is rarely raised here or maybe I just don't understand. How much of an impact has not having a home or even true practice facility for 2 years had on recruiting? Does that lower the number of truly great basketball players and/or truly great kids we could reasonably attract? For comparison, my HS student is a swimmer and runner at a private school with no pool or track which he finds frustrating and certainly knows kids who have gone elsewhere due to that issue. In high school. This is a concern of his as he looks to college, whether he competes or not, he would like a decent pool to swim in and a track to run on.

While it doesn't explain the most recent miss (still a bit TBD in my opinion), how were coaches supposed to sell a program that for years had no dedicated gym? Were they forced to take some chances they didn't want to? Lower skill (impact) or character (retention) than they would have preferred.

2/28/2022 3:10 pm  #4

z duke wrote:

...how were coaches supposed to sell a program that for years had no dedicated gym? Were they forced to take some chances they didn't want to? Lower skill (impact) or character (retention) than they would have preferred.

Which years are you referring to? This sounds like an argument from the '70s and '80s. From 1988-89 through 2018-19, the Palumbo Center was Duquesne's "dedicated gym". Several upgrades were made to practice, workout and locker room facilities in those years. It was closed for renovations for the 2019-20 season and most of the 2020-21 season. I'm not sure why that would have scuttled recruiting exactly as recruits could see the new facility under construction and see the plans for all the improvements it would include and know that most of their Duquesne careers would be played in this facility. Even Baylee Steele, who would have just one year of eligibility at Duquesne for the homecourt-less 2019-20 season, was not dissuaded from coming to the school by the Palumbo-to-Coop transition. So no, I don't think that's an excuse or explanation for where we are today.

2/28/2022 4:01 pm  #5

You guys are exhausting. Clearly, no one has any intention of putting their pitchforks away. These articles illustrate facts. Vukovcan hit the nail on the head with his “fan base that has lost perspective and a grip on reality” comment. Yikes!

2/28/2022 4:13 pm  #6

City...
The posters are posting facts also...people are frustrated.  I understand.  Look at Wildwood's post and his facts and soon, Dambrot will not have a winning record.  He hasn't gotten us to the NIT, the NCAA, and couldn't keep his best players who are doing well at other schools.  I am not saying any of that in anger.  But after years of Ferry, and now this, it's kind of like we are the Chicago Cubs over those many years.  And...he really screwed up by saying at the beginning of the year that this was his best team here ever.  He provided those expectations, the fans didn't.  Again, I appreciate your post but you need to understand everyone's posts too.

2/28/2022 4:17 pm  #7

CityDuke wrote:

You guys are exhausting. Clearly, no one has any intention of putting their pitchforks away. These articles illustrate facts. Vukovcan hit the nail on the head with his “fan base that has lost perspective and a grip on reality” comment. Yikes!

What’s wrong with stating the facts from the opposite viewpoint. Plus I doubt highly that these articles would be written if We had the ability to buyout his contract. Please explain what you are most happy with the present situation? Is it the retention of players, the lack of quality recruits, is it his offensive sets, the regression his teams have made in all five years, starting over in year 5 and again in year six. Please enlighten us Debby Downers.

2/28/2022 5:16 pm  #8

CityDuke wrote:

CityDuke, while I understand there comes a time when we all have to move on knowing that like it or not Dambrot will be the coach next season. However, this thread was occasioned by an inflammatory article trying to deflect criticism from the extremely poor performance of Dambrot and staff over the last two years, to the so called "delusional expectations" of the fans.  Personally, I'm ok with that if it helps to get this Program out of the mud, but I can understand how it rubs some long-suffering fans the wrong way.   I used to be a true Dambrot believer, now I am a Dambrot agnostic.  I hope he can get the job done, but I have serious doubts.  Next season will determine who had lost perspective and their grip on reality.

2/28/2022 5:24 pm  #9

Wildwood13 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

What’s wrong with stating the facts from the opposite viewpoint. Plus I doubt highly that these articles would be written if We had the ability to buyout his contract. Please explain what you are most happy with the present situation? Is it the retention of players, the lack of quality recruits, is it his offensive sets, the regression his teams have made in all five years, starting over in year 5 and again in year six. Please enlighten us Debby Downers.

This team is bad, the record clearly shows the worse record almost ever in DU history?  Speaking up isn't a bad thing here.  Over half the teams in the A-10 pay their coach less than 500,000 a year, and I mean, way better coached teams than this. Akron currently pays 400,000 so what was DU thinking paying for Ferry 700,000 plus, and worse KD a million. (Ron, while actually winning here, was paid approx. 350,000 a year)  Someone needs to look at what is going on here. Currently, GM pays 400,000, VCU pays 459,000, UMass pays 250,000, R.I. that just kicked our butts, pays 300,000.  St. Bono. pays 830,000 only because they are winning yearly with nothing to recruit with and know that the coach is everything, the players come and go and need to be coached up.

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/01/2022 5:45 am)

2/28/2022 8:15 pm  #10

I’ve been around this program since 1971 and have been loyal through some tough times with a few enjoyable bright spots.  The above posts presented factual evidence relating the the current coaching staff and state of the program.  I learned that we have been  overpaying our coaches and received little success in return.  I don’t see this as being unhinged or having unrealistic expectations. I personally could have accepted a down year or two if we were in the midst of program building and the seeds for future success had been planted and were beginning to mature.  This is not the case.  We have no firm foundation on which to build and add key players.  We have only hopes of somehow striking it rich in one year on the recruiting trail.  After five years I think we should expect more.    They give plenty of lip-service to change; but it is essentially the same program; and they expect us to believe it will suddenly turn around!  I just don’t see the evidence of a reversal of fortune without substantive change.

2/28/2022 8:19 pm  #11

NapaDuke wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

This team is bad, the record clearly shows the worse record almost ever in DU history?  Speaking up isn't a bad thing here.  Over half the teams in the A-10 pay their coach less than 500,000 a year, and I mean, way better coached teams than this. Akron currently pays 400,000 so what was DU thinking paying for Ferry 700,000 plus, and worse KD a million. (Ron, while actually winning here, was paid approx. 350,000 a year)  Someone needs to look at what is going on here. Currently, GM pays 400,000, VCU pays 459,000, UMass pays 250,000, R.I. that just kicked our butts, pays 300,000. St. Louis pays 425,000, St. Bono. pays 830,000 only because they are winning yearly with nothing to recruit with and know that the coach is everything, the players come and go and need to be coached up.

It's never been money, Sue Ryan told me in the early 90s that John Carroll was about 5th in the A 10 in salary.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/28/2022 8:32 pm  #12

Napa where did you get the coaches salary figures. These numbers seem  way low to me.  VCU and SLU coaches the last I saw where significantly over aa million, closer to 2 million. Please provide a link if you have one

2/28/2022 8:42 pm  #13

First of all, I have said that I think Dambrot deserves one more year, and that he has to show significant improvement.  I am already liking the new recruits he has offered, but like Capel in Oakland, signing them will be the key.  Let's look at things from the articles perspective.  Are Duquesne fans delusional?  As mentioned above, our coaches are paid pretty well for the conference. However, clearly winning here is not easy, and our school is becoming a coaches' graveyard.  People mention Archie Miller and Chris Mack but there is no way they are coming here.  It's why I keep mentioning Hunter as I think he is the ceiling of the type of coach we could get. Why would a guy like John Becker (Vermont) agree to come to a place where the previous coach couldn't succeed despite his record being  05-139 (overall) and 155-65 in the MAC, a conference better than his own?  Speaking of that record, here are the winning percentages of all coaches at Duquesne since Red Manning: 
Red Manning  1958–1974      247–138         .642
John Cinicola  1974–1978      52–56        .481
Mike Rice  1978–1982         62–49          .559
Jim Satalin  1982–1989      85–120      .415
 John Carroll  1989–1995    73–98       .427
Scott Edgar  1995–1998    29–55       .345
Darelle Porter   1998–2001     23–64     .264
Danny Nee    2001–2006-  42–102    .292
Ron Everhart    2006–201299–89.   527
Jim Ferry         2012–2017   60–97   .382
Keith Dambrot     2017–present  71–67 (.514)

Even with this absolutely disasterous season, he is still the 3rd best coach, and would be higher if this season had even one slightly better.  People on this board say he can't coach, but I find it hard to believe with his MAC results that he just suddenly forgot how.  If he can't win here, I'm starting to think that maybe no one can.  

The keys to success are recruiting and retention clearly.  Learning how to recruit the transfer Portal will be key as those players are LESS likely to leave due to the need to sit for a year.  Unfortunately it is going to be tough for the A10 to keep a lot of the best players as we may become a factory for P5 schools when a player decides he wants bigger and better things.  

I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't be upset btw.  Dambrot's seat should be hotter than hell. But, if he shows next season that he has the fire to turn things around, I will be rooting for him to do so.  That brings me to my question to keep this thread going:

1.  What do you consider an acceptable result for next season to be happy with Dambrot?  
2.  Name me one Hypothetical coach you would like to see Duquesne hire IF Dambrot were fired (Becker and Hunter are my top 2)

Last edited by Simms (2/28/2022 8:55 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

2/28/2022 9:02 pm  #14

CLK wrote:

Napa where did you get the coaches salary figures. These numbers seem way low to me. VCU and SLU coaches the last I saw where significantly over aa million, closer to 2 million. Please provide a link if you have one

I first used "https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/4/20946421/ncaa-basketball-head-coach-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20" which shows most contracts in effect till at least next year. Of the long list of mid-majors that didn't have a number, it was easy to use the coaches name to google current info. Notice KD's number is blank. To put it in perspective,  Gonzaga and Dayton pay around 1.6 million, but are able to be ranked Gonzaga #1 and Dayton #3 two years ago. DU is over paying for a very bottom mid-major team. St.Boni pays 835,000 and we would just die for a chance to have a coach like that.You were right about St.Louis, that coach came from Oklahoma State and earns 2 million, but did win the A-10 in 2019.

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/01/2022 6:08 am)

2/28/2022 9:18 pm  #15

Simms there is a fallacy in comparing Dambrot with prior coaches.  He is the first coach that really had the full support and financial backing of the DU administration. Heck I remember when Porter complained that the school would not provide him with any admin support and he had to pay for his own cell phone.  Compare that to Dambrot who has more coaches sitting on the bench than players.

Also, I disagree that DU can't attract a top notch coach given the level of commitment recently shown. I am hoping Dambrot can get us at least back close to where we were two years ago.  If he doesn't Harper should not be shy about going after a top notched coach.

2/28/2022 9:38 pm  #16

Simms wrote:

First of all, I have said that I think Dambrot deserves one more year, and that he has to show significant improvement.  I am already liking the new recruits he has offered, but like Capel in Oakland, signing them will be the key.  Let's look at things from the articles perspective.  Are Duquesne fans delusional?  As mentioned above, our coaches are paid pretty well for the conference. However, clearly winning here is not easy, and our school is becoming a coaches' graveyard.  People mention Archie Miller and Chris Mack but there is no way they are coming here.  It's why I keep mentioning Hunter as I think he is the ceiling of the type of coach we could get. Why would a guy like John Becker (Vermont) agree to come to a place where the previous coach couldn't succeed despite his record being  05-139 (overall) and 155-65 in the MAC, a conference better than his own?  Speaking of that record, here are the winning percentages of all coaches at Duquesne since Red Manning: 
Ron Everhart    2006–201299–89.   527

Even with this absolutely disasterous season, he is still the 3rd best coach, and would be higher if this season had even one slightly better.  People on this board say he can't coach, but I find it hard to believe with his MAC results that he just suddenly forgot how.  If he can't win here, I'm starting to think that maybe no one can.  

The keys to success are recruiting and retention clearly.  Learning how to recruit the transfer Portal will be key as those players are LESS likely to leave due to the need to sit for a year.  Unfortunately it is going to be tough for the A10 to keep a lot of the best players as we may become a factory for P5 schools when a player decides he wants bigger and better things.  

I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't be upset btw.  Dambrot's seat should be hotter than hell. But, if he shows next season that he has the fire to turn things around, I will be rooting for him to do so.  That brings me to my question to keep this thread going:

1.  What do you consider an acceptable result for next season to be happy with Dambrot?  
2.  Name me one Hypothetical coach you would like to see Duquesne hire IF Dambrot were fired (Becker and Hunter are my top 2)

Percentage wins since Manning? First, we were a respectable program for decades up until Manning left. Recruiting the best players was easy.  The next two coaches had that to work with.  Remove Cinocola, and Rice, then look at the list. In over 30 years only two coaches over 500 and Dambroth is about to finish at 500 or less if they didn't cancel the George Mason game.? But we are paying him 1 milllion and with the millions invested in the Coop?  DU put more money in this program than ever. Give him a year, he has it anyways, but he had better start to win, but a lot fast. Otherwise, I can save DU some big money. Fire him and hire me for 10,000. I can get this team to last place too, but for less money. LOL.  ( Keeping a sence of humor is important if you are a DU BB fan.)  Hey, my suggestion for a coach, some assist. from a big D-1 program, preferable a running style of play.  Offer 350,000 per year with big incentives for results. No big time Head Coach is coming here unless he is at the end of his career, and don't expect he will put in the time to make it work. 

2/28/2022 9:50 pm  #17

Simms, two factors you are not looking at when reviewing the coaches win/loss records. 1. The out of conference schedule has been significantly easier for Dambrots five years. 2. The A-10 was a much higher rated conference then these previous five years. That’s a major difference. As far as your questions. I wanted Henderson from Princeton as our coach. He gets players to play his system. That is very successful in the A-10. As far as Dambrot, I can’t image him on improving on this years team. The two supposedly signed recruits are not earth shaking guys. Plus when players leave he is going to the portal and getting scraps IMO.

3/01/2022 8:06 am  #18

Simms, Please double check Dambrots record. In his previous seasons he was 65-47 according to multiple sources. Currently, the Dukes are 6-21 according to their website. This makes him
71-68. 3 more losses this year and he will not have a winning record. But again, please check.

3/01/2022 9:26 am  #19

Simms wrote:

Ron Everhart    [url=tel:2006–201299–89]2006–201299–89[/url].   527

Looked up Kenya Hunter on the IU website. Interesting I did note  he survived the purge of Archie Miller by retaining his position. Good or bad? If the Dukes are in the market for a new coach I would expect that the AD could get a sound reference from Archie Miller. Hunter has been around as an assistant for multiple big time programs. 

Last edited by Ironduke81 (3/01/2022 9:29 am)

3/01/2022 9:58 am  #20

Ironduke81 wrote:

Simms wrote:

Ron Everhart    [url=tel:2006–201299–89]2006–201299–89[/url].   527

Looked up Kenya Hunter on the IU website. Interesting I did note  he survived the purge of Archie Miller by retaining his position. Good or bad? If the Dukes are in the market for a new coach I would expect that the AD could get a sound reference from Archie Miller. Hunter has been around as an assistant for multiple big time programs. 

I know this is all conjecture because Duquesne has announced that Coach D will return, so there will be no other head coach next year, and most likely for two years.  I always liked Kenya as a player.  He played very hard, and left it all on on court at games end; but he has been coaching for a long time and to my knowledge has never been a head coach.  At this point in his life, does he really want to tackle this job?  It would take a lot of energy! 

3/01/2022 10:23 am  #21

I've watched many interviews of Kenya.  He definitely wants to be a head coach.  Apparently he has been passed on a lot of jobs, which I find perplexing as his resume is pretty absurd.  I believe he would be the perfect fit for us with his recruiting knowledge, plus I have to believe he has a lot of coaching knowledge at this point after being as disciple of Herb Sendek, Sean miller, John Thompson, Hurley, and others.  He has connections to the university.  He wouldn't warrant as much money as some other names which would allow him to stack his assistant coaches.  He would honestly be my # 1 choice.  

Where he was an assistant:
Duquesne
NC State
Xavier
Georgetown
Nebraska
Uconn
Indiana 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Knx0wWi64&t=1177s&ab_channel=LamarBarrett

Watch the interview at 13:48.  He clearly wants it.  

Last edited by Simms (3/01/2022 10:28 am)

3/01/2022 11:48 am  #22

DU has to fire dambrot now(2 weeks), and thats not happening.....maybe after next years debacle they will, and KH might still be looking to be a HC.   He certainly would make the list if I was AD, or whatever stupid title they gave Harper, VP of sports or something.   

3/01/2022 11:51 am  #23

townsonkid wrote:

DU has to fire dambrot now(2 weeks), and thats not happening.....maybe after next years debacle they will, and KH might still be looking to be a HC.   He certainly would make the list if I was AD, or whatever stupid title they gave Harper, VP of sports or something.   

I don't think Hunter will be going anywhere (besides the NCAA tournament with Indiana).  I understand the frustration, but unlike others on this board, I still believe Dambrot can get it done.  I respect everyone's opinion to disagree.  

It's so weird to me how similar our situation is to Pitt.  They hired Capel (praised) and we hired Dambrot (praised) and neither school is making a switch at the end of the season.  Pitt alledgedly has a 17 million(!!!) dollar buyout for Capel until next season.  They should hope and pray that Sean Miller doesn't go anywhere until then.  

3/01/2022 5:24 pm  #24

How about forcing KD to bring Kenya in now so that the team benefits from his outstanding recruiting reputation & there is an heir apparent already in place should last season look like this?

3/01/2022 6:25 pm  #25

Kenya already has a job at IU; he’s not leaving that for an assistant job Duquesne; and how do you continue to work with KD while you promised his job to someone else?  These “coach in waiting” deals usually come with the blessing of the existing head coach; not to force him out.

Last edited by levon1975 (3/01/2022 6:35 pm)

Board footera