Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2022 9:35 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - George Washington University Colonials (A)

The bar for men's basketball is so low, that many are happy that we had a close loss to a team with a record of now...12 - 16.   Duquesne's record this year is now 6-22 and Dambrot's record at Duquesne is now 71-69.

One regular season game left and then most likely one tournament game left.  

3/02/2022 9:44 pm  #52

Nobody is happy FAM.  However, some of us choose to take off our sh** colored glasses and see things for what they are.  I encourage it, life is too short not to.  And that performance was extremely positive.

3/02/2022 9:45 pm  #53

FAM wrote:

The bar for men's basketball is so low, that many are happy that we had a close loss to a team with a record of now...12 - 16.   Duquesne's record this year is now 6-22 and Dambrot's record at Duquesne is now 71-69.

One regular season game left and then most likely one tournament game left.  

Of course that puts things in perspective, but as an eternal optimist I would rather end the season with 2 wins (maybe 3 if we steal an A10 tourney game) then end with 6 total.  Hence me caring this much.  Plus, I also respect the fact that the team didn’t give up despite them playing like trash pretty much all year.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/02/2022 9:50 pm  #54

CityDuke wrote:

Napa give it a rest my friend.  Let's go dukes! What a gutsy win this will be.  Refs giving GW 9 lives

I would, but just look at why we were in the first half. Hima rebound or deflected rebounds to team mates to rebound and scored. He was everywhere. He even took a charge.  He deflected a 3 while standing 8 feet back in the paint. He altered quit a few other shots.  Then when things get close in the second, KD parks him on the bench. we would not have gone to overtime if KD left him in there. I said this on this line before this game that KD does not know what to do with a real center. He just proved it. GW was begging to lose but KD put a team on the floor in the second half no taller than Easley. Statistically, the longer the second half went on this way the more likely we would not win. 

3/02/2022 9:50 pm  #55

To see effort after losing 14 in a row was all i took from this game.   GW isnt good.  We are worse.  They have P5 transfers, and older players. 

Why did Dambie wait until :12 left in 3OT to yell at refs?   Just frustrated?

Last edited by townsonkid (3/02/2022 9:51 pm)

3/02/2022 9:54 pm  #56

NapaDuke wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Napa give it a rest my friend.  Let's go dukes! What a gutsy win this will be.  Refs giving GW 9 lives

I would, but just look at why we were in the first half. Hima rebound or deflected rebounds to team mates to rebound and scored. He was everywhere. He even took a charge.  He deflected a 3 while standing 8 feet back in the paint. He altered quit a few other shots.  Then when things get close in the second, KD parks him on the bench. we would not have gone to overtime if KD left him in there. I said this on this line before this game that KD does not know what to do with a real center. He just proved it. GW was begging to lose but KD put a team on the floor in the second half no taller than Easley. Statistically, the longer the second half went on this way the more likely we would not win. 

I hear you, but do you really think Hima is ready for crunch time? And I thought  Easley and Larson were excellent.  Also, I encourage you to take a look at Dambrot's time at Akron.  The guy made his living around real centers.  Hima's time will come, but he is clearly not there yet.  I loved what he brought tonight, his progess has been really encouraging and I cannot wait to see what he looks like after this off-season.

3/02/2022 10:14 pm  #57

CityDuke wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

I hear you, but do you really think Hima is ready for crunch time? And I thought  Easley and Larson were excellent.  Also, I encourage you to take a look at Dambrot's time at Akron.  The guy made his living around real centers.  Hima's time will come, but he is clearly not there yet.  I loved what he brought tonight, his progess has been really encouraging and I cannot wait to see what he looks like after this off-season.

Man I hope he is still here. He earned that time from his first half to play the second half and was on the bench instead. I have seen so many games that in the end, where won by rebounding, and KD just took that out of the question.  KD might have been desperate for a win, but he should have known who ever gets the rebounds in the end will likely win. Shouldn't have even gone to the first OT. Maybe next year, if Hima stays, KD runs an offense around him. We likely can beat anyone. Missed shots from the perimeter are just opportunities for a real Big to score. And Hima is a real Big. Long bad season, but KD does have very good young players. Just keep enough of them around for next year and just maybe KD has something here but Hima is something special.

3/02/2022 10:27 pm  #58

CityDuke,
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.  But the bar I have is higher then being pleased with a better performance. This isn’t personal toward you and I’m not trying to be disrespectful…but to me it is a sad state of affairs when “trying” is praised.  Trying was great for elementary aged kids, but success is what We should be after.  The record speaks for itself.

College athletes on 4 year scholarships should not be praised because they tried really hard. That should be a given and if it isn’t, there are a lot more problems than a won/loss record

3/02/2022 10:37 pm  #59

CityDuke wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Hima got 22 minutes in a game that lasted 60 minutes. He went 2 for 4 shooting 6 rebounds and not counted deflected 5 or 6 shots. One assist.  and drew a charge. And his 2 blocks to Easleys 4 blocks.  Nothing wrong with Easley, but in 44 minutes 11 rebounds went 3 for 12 shooting and 0 for 6 from 3 point range, didn't deflect any shots and should not have been playing center.  Both Hima and Easley should have been playing on the court at the same time. Hima play has improved with each game he is in there. Easly is a very good player, but not a 6'11' center.  I hope to see them both on the court together next year.

3/02/2022 11:05 pm  #60

Watching how KD handled Primo the last 2 games, I can't gin up any confidence that his coaching will be better next year. Primo's defense was horrendous bordering on lazy all night while his shot selection, offensive decision making, & teamplay were embarrassing. Yet, he played 52 of a possible 55 minutes allowing his hero-ball mentality to erase any chance to win the game at the end of regulation & the first overtime.
If you aren't going to hold your point guard accountable for stupid & selfish play, how do you expect any of the other players to take you seriously when you yank them for single, minor infractions?

It was great to see the team believe in themselves & each other tonight. Given the beating they have taken over the last month, that was quite impressive given the length of the game. It really sucks that a win did not come their way. 

Larson made a very nice contribution. I am happy for him.

Bekelja was in over his head as usual. The idea that KD sees him as some sort of defensive stalwart is laughable.

Do I think Hima should be playing huge crunch-time minutes? No. Do I think he should have sat on the bench for 29 minutes after halftime? HELL NO!!!!

Why didn't Ayers play? Did I miss something?

I really hope that Easley stays & gets to split time between the 3 & small ball 4 for the next 2 seasons. He does many things that winning teams need but seems to have his scoring stunted by playing out of position so often.

The coaching didn't cost the Dukes a W tonight but neither did it put the team in a position to win.

I really want to see Hima, Tre, Easley, JJ, Acuff, Rotroff, & Barba on the roster next season. Despite each of them having substantial upside, I am indifferent about Okani, Primo, & Ayers returning. I have no desire to see a scholarship used by Gunn, Bekelja, or either of the high school players that have verbally committed.

3/02/2022 11:19 pm  #61

phil95 wrote:

Watching how KD handled Primo the last 2 games, I can't gin up any confidence that his coaching will be better next year. Primo's defense was horrendous bordering on lazy all night while his shot selection, offensive decision making, & teamplay were embarrassing. Yet, he played 52 of a possible 55 minutes allowing his hero-ball mentality to erase any chance to win the game at the end of regulation & the first overtime.
If you aren't going to hold your point guard accountable for stupid & selfish play, how do you expect any of the other players to take you seriously when you yank them for single, minor infractions?

It was great to see the team believe in themselves & each other tonight. Given the beating they have taken over the last month, that was quite impressive given the length of the game. It really sucks that a win did not come their way. 

Larson made a very nice contribution. I am happy for him.

Bekelja was in over his head as usual. The idea that KD sees him as some sort of defensive stalwart is laughable.

Do I think Hima should be playing huge crunch-time minutes? No. Do I think he should have sat on the bench for 29 minutes after halftime? HELL NO!!!!

Why didn't Ayers play? Did I miss something?

I really hope that Easley stays & gets to split time between the 3 & small ball 4 for the next 2 seasons. He does many things that winning teams need but seems to have his scoring stunted by playing out of position so often.

The coaching didn't cost the Dukes a W tonight but neither did it put the team in a position to win.

I really want to see Hima, Tre, Easley, JJ, Acuff, Rotroff, & Barba on the roster next season. Despite each of them having substantial upside, I am indifferent about Okani, Primo, & Ayers returning. I have no desire to see a scholarship used by Gunn, Bekelja, or either of the high school players that have verbally committed.

I couldn't agree with you more. I hope for most of these guys you mentioned back next year with some key transfers or recruits to round out this team..

3/03/2022 11:28 am  #62

I guess I understand why other teams announcers think DU has potential.   The freshman are basically the main players, and 2 sophs.
Acuff, Spears, JJ, Okani and Hima are still freshman, Williams and Easley sophomores.  Barba will still be a freshman next year.   

Most of these guys have flashed talent this year, it needs to be more consistent.   Can it develop into more, into a team?   Will they all stay at DU?   Who will be added?  Would love a real PF, big bully type of guy and older/experienced true PG.    

3/03/2022 11:35 am  #63

townsonkid wrote:

I guess I understand why other teams announcers think DU has potential.   The freshman are basically the main players, and 2 sophs.
Acuff, Spears, JJ, Okani and Hima are still freshman, Williams and Easley sophomores.  Barba will still be a freshman next year.   

Most of these guys have flashed talent this year, it needs to be more consistent.   Can it develop into more, into a team?   Will they all stay at DU?   Who will be added?  Would love a real PF, big bully type of guy and older/experienced true PG.    

Who was it that said the best thing about Freshmen is that they become sophomores?  This team may come back slightly bigger, and at least have one year of experience under their belts. Last nights game was promising.

3/03/2022 12:30 pm  #64

Phil I am also with you on who you would like to see come back next year, but with one exception - Easley.  I know he has been playing out of position, but I don't think he is quick enough on D and his shot is too inconsistent at the 3 - which is his true position.  I especially liked what you said here Phil:

"......I am indifferent about Okani, Primo, & Ayers returning. I have no desire to see a scholarship used by Gunn, Bekelja, or either of the high school players that have verbally committed."

3/03/2022 8:32 pm  #65

You definitely want Easley back.  He is the best rebounder on the team; and has a strong build that can physically compete at this level.  Granted he needs to work on his shot; it’s too flat and that leads to inconsistency; but he rebounds every game.

3/03/2022 8:40 pm  #66

I like Easley mostly because he has 2 years of  eligibility remaining, his workmanlike approach to the game, his rebounding, his great hands on offense & defense, & the great 3Pt shooting numbers he put up as a freshman at Chattanooga. Through 23 games, he shooting was really solid. He has struggled mightily since.

I think he would be an awesome A-10 6th man that plays 23-25 minutes a game rather than the 30 plus he has played this year. I suspect that more energy & quickness would be in evidence from him if he wasn't playing so much & wrestling with true bigs for most of the game. 

3/03/2022 9:10 pm  #67

Dambrots game management of Hima is a mystery. Freshman big upside. . This team is awful. Develop the future in Hima unless you have another agenda. Tired of old school Coach Dambrot. What you are going to loose to Lasalle with a low budget & high school gym. Then comes 1st round in DC another loss. Yeah let’s play a. 5th year senior with Bekaja. Really? Total joke.

3/04/2022 12:11 am  #68

During the GW game, one of the ESPN announcers made a comment that "the Dukes are taking good shots... they just can't get them to go in." 
Do you think anyone on the current staff realizes that one of the best 3 point shooters in NCAA history is still in the Pittsburgh area and, evidently, still operating a basketball clinic?  I've often wondered why Duquesne doesn't contract with Micah Mason to work with the team in the off-season. 

It would probably serve them better than having a 'brand coach'.

Last edited by indygjm (3/04/2022 12:14 am)

3/04/2022 8:44 am  #69

Ironduke81 wrote:

Dambrots game management of Hima is a mystery. Freshman big upside. . This team is awful. Develop the future in Hima unless you have another agenda. Tired of old school Coach Dambrot. What you are going to loose to Lasalle with a low budget & high school gym. Then comes 1st round in DC another loss. Yeah let’s play a. 5th year senior with Bekaja. Really? Total joke.

You don't win the A-10 championship with a 6'7" center.  A 6'11"  center  with this kids natural talents should get all the time in these last two games. There are, on the average, 70 to 80 missed shots in every game that he has the advantage to go after. With his superior height in the last game I can count 4 times at least, he denied GW from scoring point that they would otherwise have scored in the first half. That's 8 points in one half, likely at least eight more in the second. That's likely a 16 point affect on each game this season, and just think,what would  our season record have been with that advantage? Rebounds are important they affect the score.  Also, his 2 baskets at the start of the last 2 games, then no one passes inside to him the rest of the time?  At least,  lob the ball to him high over the rim, he can out jump anyone for it.. Just one more observation, Hima wins the tip off every time, but wasn't in the 3 overtimes at tipoff  to win those first crucial possessions?

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/04/2022 9:04 am)

3/04/2022 11:57 am  #70

indygjm wrote:

During the GW game, one of the ESPN announcers made a comment that "the Dukes are taking good shots... they just can't get them to go in." 
Do you think anyone on the current staff realizes that one of the best 3 point shooters in NCAA history is still in the Pittsburgh area and, evidently, still operating a basketball clinic?  I've often wondered why Duquesne doesn't contract with Micah Mason to work with the team in the off-season. 

It would probably serve them better than having a 'brand coach'.

That’s a good idea as long as no rules prevent it.  I know the NCAA is pretty useless anymore; but wasn’t there an issue about one of our players having a private shooting coach?  I think it was when Everhart was coach.  Otherwise Micah would be a great addition and could probably make an impact with his knowledge of shooting and offensive skill development.  I know it’s not easy to break bad shooting habits or to change a guy at this stage; but a guy like Easley has a style that is just not repeatable; high jump on his shot with a very flat release rather than “up and out”.  I imagine some simple adjustments could improve repeatability. When the legs get tired his shot gets even flatter with little margin for error.

3/04/2022 10:05 pm  #71

With the most posted on thread recently being the "Team has checked out" one, it was good to see them fighting so hard for a win that in the grand scheme of things wouldn't have meant anything. Trying to win should be the absolute bare minimum at this level, but their desire had been questioned and they showed it is still there. Having said that, this was an all around bad game.

1) We are a bad team. Only because we have been so bad for so long is this game seen as an improvement. The defense was absolutely atrocious. I like the aggressiveness going after steals and blocks, but it leaves us out of position far too often for easy buckets. Speaking of easy buckets, how many times did they beat us with simple pick and rolls for wide open dunks? Even at this late point in the season the offensive gameplan seems to be a grab bag. We have multiple guys who can score, but have no semblance of an offense to get them good looks. If they aren't creating offense for themselves there is none. 

2) GW is bad. Watching this game I kept having to check the standings to make sure I had them right. How this team is .500 in the A-10 is beyond me. Even their home announcers said late in the game "it's a shame someone has to win this game." Usually this kind of game is a shame someone has to lose, but neither team deserved a win.

3) The officiating was horrible. I'd say it went against us more than for us, but it was terrible in our favor a few times too. Of course no one ever thinks they fouled someone late in a game, but I think our dismay on a few was perfectly justified and the replays back that up. On the other hand Hima's charge should have been a block. I'd love to know what Bekelja did to get a T, and also wonder if the refs saw the GW big do a pull up on the rim in the second half and just let it go. Usually I say let kids be kids, but that was pretty blatant.

4) The announcers were terrible. I realize the A-10 broadcasts are local crews aired nationally, but I'd rather hear them not talk about the Dukes at all then repeatedly get facts wrong. They said Easley was the SoCon player of the year while at TCU. For starters there's a big difference between player of the year and freshmen of the year. Then of course while he did also play at TCU, there is a big step up from the SoCon to TCU. They had the story about Larson starting here as a GA, but repeatedly said he transferred from Holy Cross. Other than starting with an H is there anything Holy Cross and Hillsdale have in common?

It's nice to see an answer provided to the question of if the team has checked out or not. It would have been even better to see them get a win. Before this game I would have been shocked to see us win another game the rest of the season. Now I like our chances to beat LaSalle. The tournament is basically meaningless. Then we look towards next year.

I actually like most of the roster individually. I've read lots of claims that they aren't A-10 players, but I think what that actually means is they aren't A-10 stars. I think Johnson, Spears, Acuff, Okani, Easley, and Hima are all legitimate A-10 players. The problem is we don't have anyone capable of staring at this level. Those six could all round out a pretty strong team in the A-10. Expecting any of them to carry a team in this conference isn't going to go well. If Williams were 3 inches taller he'd be a star. Unfortunately if he were 3 inches taller he probably wouldn't be at Duquesne. Ayers has shown flashes of potential like the others I mentioned, but he'll be a senior next year and don't know if that's enough time to develop as much as we need him to.

3/05/2022 10:19 am  #72

luckymcd wrote:

With the most posted on thread recently being the "Team has checked out" one, it was good to see them fighting so hard for a win that in the grand scheme of things wouldn't have meant anything. Trying to win should be the absolute bare minimum at this level, but their desire had been questioned and they showed it is still there. Having said that, this was an all around bad game.

1) We are a bad team. Only because we have been so bad for so long is this game seen as an improvement. The defense was absolutely atrocious. I like the aggressiveness going after steals and blocks, but it leaves us out of position far too often for easy buckets. Speaking of easy buckets, how many times did they beat us with simple pick and rolls for wide open dunks? Even at this late point in the season the offensive gameplan seems to be a grab bag. We have multiple guys who can score, but have no semblance of an offense to get them good looks. If they aren't creating offense for themselves there is none. 

2) GW is bad. Watching this game I kept having to check the standings to make sure I had them right. How this team is .500 in the A-10 is beyond me. Even their home announcers said late in the game "it's a shame someone has to win this game." Usually this kind of game is a shame someone has to lose, but neither team deserved a win.

3) The officiating was horrible. I'd say it went against us more than for us, but it was terrible in our favor a few times too. Of course no one ever thinks they fouled someone late in a game, but I think our dismay on a few was perfectly justified and the replays back that up. On the other hand Hima's charge should have been a block. I'd love to know what Bekelja did to get a T, and also wonder if the refs saw the GW big do a pull up on the rim in the second half and just let it go. Usually I say let kids be kids, but that was pretty blatant.

4) The announcers were terrible. I realize the A-10 broadcasts are local crews aired nationally, but I'd rather hear them not talk about the Dukes at all then repeatedly get facts wrong. They said Easley was the SoCon player of the year while at TCU. For starters there's a big difference between player of the year and freshmen of the year. Then of course while he did also play at TCU, there is a big step up from the SoCon to TCU. They had the story about Larson starting here as a GA, but repeatedly said he transferred from Holy Cross. Other than starting with an H is there anything Holy Cross and Hillsdale have in common?

It's nice to see an answer provided to the question of if the team has checked out or not. It would have been even better to see them get a win. Before this game I would have been shocked to see us win another game the rest of the season. Now I like our chances to beat LaSalle. The tournament is basically meaningless. Then we look towards next year.

I actually like most of the roster individually. I've read lots of claims that they aren't A-10 players, but I think what that actually means is they aren't A-10 stars. I think Johnson, Spears, Acuff, Okani, Easley, and Hima are all legitimate A-10 players. The problem is we don't have anyone capable of staring at this level. Those six could all round out a pretty strong team in the A-10. Expecting any of them to carry a team in this conference isn't going to go well. If Williams were 3 inches taller he'd be a star. Unfortunately if he were 3 inches taller he probably wouldn't be at Duquesne. Ayers has shown flashes of potential like the others I mentioned, but he'll be a senior next year and don't know if that's enough time to develop as much as we need him to.

Nice analysis. I see them as A-10 players, but without more team work on offense and defense next year, it can look this bad next year too.  

Board footera