Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2013 10:26 am  #26

Re: WVU

Don't have to worry about charges when teams are lighting you up outside the arc. Part of the problem is it's really easy to shoot over the guards because of their height. I know you can't coach height, so I'm hoping Ferry & Co. have another solution.

11/18/2013 11:52 am  #27

After lighting us up New Hampshire was 8 for 31 from 3 in a loss to NJIT.

11/18/2013 12:12 pm  #28

WashPaRick wrote:

After lighting us up New Hampshire was 8 for 31 from 3 in a loss to NJIT.

Some notes everything goes in, or NJIT put some hands in shooters faces?

A diehard fan since 1961

11/18/2013 12:28 pm  #29

We play NJIT at their place in January. 

Interesting UNH coach's comments after the game.

Last edited by CLK (11/18/2013 12:29 pm)

11/18/2013 12:38 pm  #30

Final thoughts: West Virginia 96, Duquesne 83

Written by Stephen J. Nesbitt on Monday, 18 November 2013 12:23 am.

http://blogs.post-gazette.com:8080/sports/2013-06-20-18-53-28/dukes-dispatches/39803-final-thoughts-west-virginia-96-duquesne-83

11/18/2013 12:43 pm  #31

This will be considered sacrilege, but how about pairing Colter with Mason and Ridenour with White?

11/18/2013 1:03 pm  #32

ElDuque wrote:

This will be considered sacrilege, but how about pairing Colter with Mason and Ridenour with White?

If you listen to the post game show replay on Red Zone Media, Ferry hinted that he may be considering not playing the two small guards together.  At the 2:34:01 mark

http://www.redzonemedia.com/viewschedule.asp?sportID=2&SchoolID=52

11/18/2013 7:10 pm  #33

Here is what was on ESPN (partial) when Ferry was hired.  I took out some things but my point is, it took him 6 YEARS (He has a 7 year contract at Duquesne) to get to a 500 record.
Do we have the patience???

"Jim Ferry took over an LIU Brooklyn program in 2002 that went 5-22 the previous season.
It was not pretty.  Over the next 10 years, though, he built the Blackbirds into a high-scoring NCAA tournament-caliber team that was a threat to win the Northeast Conference annually.
Duquesne hopes Ferry can do the same for the Dukes in the Atlantic-10.  Ferry, 44, agreed to a seven-year contract on Tuesday, paying $600,000 as a yearly base, to take the reins of the Dukes, who last made the NCAA tournament in 1977.  On Thursday, he was introduced.
guard T.J. McConnell, the team's best overall player -- announced intentions to transfer.

Ferry's best season in his first six at LIU featured a 15-15 finish in 2007-08."

Last edited by FAM (11/18/2013 7:10 pm)

11/18/2013 8:06 pm  #34

FAM wrote:

Here is what was on ESPN (partial) when Ferry was hired.  I took out some things but my point is, it took him 6 YEARS (He has a 7 year contract at Duquesne) to get to a 500 record.

"Jim Ferry took over an LIU Brooklyn program in 2002 that went 5-22 the previous season.
It was not pretty.  Over the next 10 years, though, he built the Blackbirds into a high-scoring NCAA tournament-caliber team that was a threat to win the Northeast Conference annually.
Duquesne hopes Ferry can do the same for the Dukes in the Atlantic-10.  Ferry, 44, agreed to a seven-year contract on Tuesday, paying $600,000 as a yearly base, to take the reins of the Dukes, who last made the NCAA tournament in 1977.  On Thursday, he was introduced.
guard T.J. McConnell, the team's best overall player -- announced intentions to transfer.

Ferry's best season in his first six at LIU featured a 15-15 finish in 2007-08."

Since you asked, I don't have the patience to wait 6 years for him to have a break even season, and I doubt what is left of the fan base does either.  Ron won his second year and ever year thereafter.  He also played for the 10 championship in his third year and people were calling for his head.  DU fans being patient for six years with no winning seasons, are you kidding?

Last edited by CLK (11/18/2013 8:07 pm)

11/18/2013 8:16 pm  #35

CLK wrote:

FAM wrote:

Since you asked, I don't have the patience to wait 6 years for him to have a break even season, and I doubt what is left of the fan base does either.  Ron won his second year and ever year thereafter.  He also played for the 10 championship in his third year and people were calling for his head.  Six years with no winning seasons, are you kidding?

LIU is a totally different situation than Duquesne. I seriously doubt that Ferry expects it to take 6 years to break even. Unfortunately, our two best recruits have yet to even practice. I don't know why some on this board don't realize that this is a big deal. Watkins and Robinson are more highly regarded than anyone on the team other than Soko. It will be a huge setback if we don't have at least one of them this year. With nearly the entire team coming back next year, the idea was for the team to get a year under their belt playing Ferry's system. The A10 is going to lose a ton of good players after this year, opening the door for the Dukes to move up in the standings. If 2 of our most talented players don't play this year, it's going to screw things up badly.

11/18/2013 9:27 pm  #36

Who doesn't understand this?

I'm curious why we're in this position, though. What happened to Watkins to cause him to need surgery? If it was a pre-existing condition, did we know about it?

With Robinson, who I think was our first commit last year, why has it taken so long to get him cleared?

That said, the issues we've been citing are not going away if/when either/both are cleared to play. We don't play defense, our guards are small, we don't hit free throws. We've certainly had decent play from Soko and McKoy. White and Mason have proven they can score. Ridenour has been a plus. 

I'm certainly neither a coach nor an expert, but to my untrained eye I might tinker with the starting lineup a little. I'd give Gill a shot at starting, and I might start Ridenour in place of Colter, alongside White. I like Mason off the bench. 

If I'm Ferry, I might be looking to upgrade the point for next year. Just my opinion.

11/18/2013 10:10 pm  #37

ElDuque wrote:

Who doesn't understand this?

I'm curious why we're in this position, though. What happened to Watkins to cause him to need surgery? If it was a pre-existing condition, did we know about it?

With Robinson, who I think was our first commit last year, why has it taken so long to get him cleared?

That said, the issues we've been citing are not going away if/when either/both are cleared to play. We don't play defense, our guards are small, we don't hit free throws. We've certainly had decent play from Soko and McKoy. White and Mason have proven they can score. Ridenour has been a plus. 

I'm certainly neither a coach nor an expert, but to my untrained eye I might tinker with the starting lineup a little. I'd give Gill a shot at starting, and I might start Ridenour in place of Colter, alongside White. I like Mason off the bench. 

If I'm Ferry, I might be looking to upgrade the point for next year. Just my opinion.

Watkins was our first commit. I wish the NCAA would make a decision one way or another.

Board footera