Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2013 4:59 pm  #1

Micah Mason

Coach  Ferry was interviewed at half time of the Wagner game last week, and said that he thought he would hear from the NCAA regarding Micah's appeal to play this year.  I have not seen anything from the Uniiversity but based on Ferry's comment we should know soon.

You can listen to the 10 minute interview using the link below. Select the Wagner game replay and fast forward to 1 hour, 49 minutes, 39 seconds

http://www.redzonemedia.com/viewschedule.asp?sportID=1&SchoolID=52

Last edited by CLK (10/18/2013 5:03 pm)

10/19/2013 7:43 am  #2

Re: Micah Mason

This would be huge. 

10/19/2013 7:03 pm  #3

Part of me would rather have him 4 years from now. Mason and Ridenhour would make a nice backcourt as seniors, and he'll get waaaay more minutes then than he will now. I know some are itching to win now, but I've always preferred to take the long view. I don't want to win for a year or two, and then be back in the toilet. I think Mason in 2016-17 helps us much more than Mason in 2013-14.

10/19/2013 8:18 pm  #4

Stop making sense, duq81.

10/19/2013 8:22 pm  #5

I also agree with duq81.  Having him for this year is not going to do much since we will be stretching it if we even reach 500 this year.  Let him workout, get a year older, get a year stronger, get some credits in, and then have him come in NEXT year.

10/19/2013 8:40 pm  #6

My long term view is no dance since '77, and ending up last season as the third best team in Pittsburgh. If he can help put us on the map now, I'd like to see him play. If he helps make the Dukes good enough, there will be another guy there for us when he graduates.

10/19/2013 8:41 pm  #7

FAM, did you get me a jersey?

10/19/2013 11:02 pm  #8

ElDuque wrote:

My long term view is no dance since '77, and ending up last season as the third best team in Pittsburgh. If he can help put us on the map now, I'd like to see him play. If he helps make the Dukes good enough, there will be another guy there for us when he graduates.

ED, if I thought we were close to doing something (NIT at least), I would agree with you. Since I think we're not there yet, I'd rather save him for when we are there. I don't think there are a whole lot of minutes for him the next two years. If we get Ryan Luther, I expect that Ferry will go big next year, which will likely push Indy Jones into the backcourt. That won't leave much time for Mason. However, after White graduates, that will open up more minutes in the backcourt. If Mason is a junior, instead of a senior, he could position himself to become a starter after Colter and Jones graduate, getting far more playing time than he would this year. I just think that he will be a far more valuable piece, on a far better team in 2017, than he would be on a weaker team this year.

10/20/2013 8:16 am  #9

ElDuque,
Norm Nixons wasn't available.

10/20/2013 9:42 am  #10

FAM wrote:

ElDuque,
Norm Nixons wasn't available.

Truthfully, we weren't very good when Norman was here. One winning season, an unimpressive 14-11 at that, and the one NCAA bid only happened because Keith Herron was injured, and couldn't play. The Bruce Atkins era was much better, but we haven't truly been good since 1972.

10/20/2013 11:50 am  #11

duq81 wrote:

Part of me would rather have him 4 years from now. Mason and Ridenhour would make a nice backcourt as seniors, and he'll get waaaay more minutes then than he will now. I know some are itching to win now, but I've always preferred to take the long view. I don't want to win for a year or two, and then be back in the toilet. I think Mason in 2016-17 helps us much more than Mason in 2013-14.

Mason's presence might account for a win or two this year but no one knows that for certain. I would prefer to see him in uniform the following season when he will be on a better team and his contribution will, in fact, be more meaningful. It will be one or the other and having him at all is a plus for the program.

10/20/2013 12:40 pm  #12

I would have take any jersey. Oh, well, I will live with the disappointment.

10/20/2013 7:29 pm  #13

I actually was wondering if Duquesne, in fact, applied for the hardship waiver.  Until Ferry's radio interview, I wasn't 100% sure.  To me, it does make sense to hold him out this year.

10/22/2013 7:17 pm  #14

10/23/2013 8:56 am  #15

president wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Mason's presence might account for a win or two this year but no one knows that for certain. I would prefer to see him in uniform the following season when he will be on a better team and his contribution will, in fact, be more meaningful. It will be one or the other and having him at all is a plus for the program.

I say play him now if he is eligible.  You guys assume that as a 5th year grad student Micah will stay at Duquesne and not be seduced by a BCS to transfer.  I may  be a little jaundiced, but I would not make that assumption.

10/23/2013 9:03 am  #16

Mason's got NCAA D1 experience. We have exactly five other players who can make the same claim. Until I see guys play, I'm not convinced White and Colter are going to take all of the minutes at either guard position.

10/23/2013 3:38 pm  #17

CLK wrote:

president wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I say play him now if he is eligible.  You guys assume that as a 5th year grad student Micah will stay at Duquesne and not be seduced by a BCS to transfer.  I may  be a little jaundiced, but I would not make that assumption.

If the Dukes are not competitive by a possible 5th year for Mason, and can't keep him, then he should leave!

10/23/2013 7:54 pm  #18

It is is important that the Dukes show some success this year, and if we have a guy in Mason that can help us win we need to play him.  Coach Ferry thinks it is important to have some early success to help recruiting as he said in his 3-31-13 interview with the PG. 

"We built the program [at LIU] to last and to be something that sustains itself, but it took a few years to get the talent level to where it needed to be and that's because you can't go out and grab everything you need in one class," Ferry said. "But at the same time, we feel like we are going to fill some needs this year and get a little better then build on it.

"And while we are interested in the long-term success, you have to have some short-term success as well in order to help with recruiting, so I would definitely take a junior college transfer or two if I thought they could help us win right now. I am not going to take a bunch of them and try to cut corners like that, but if one or two make sense, fit with our talent level and our university's standards and they can help us win, I would do it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2013/03/21/Dukes-Ferry-on-trail-to-future.html

Last edited by CLK (10/24/2013 5:52 am)

10/24/2013 3:21 pm  #19

Tweet from PG's Stephen Nesbitt at 4:03pm today...

Dukes Dispatch
‏@DukesPG
Jim Ferry expects an answer to Micah Mason's eligibility by the end of next week. He calls it a "no-brainer."

10/28/2013 5:07 pm  #20

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.  Just curious.  A friend of mine put me onto the University of Minnesota men's basketball site and with particular attention to Joey King, a 6'9" FORWARD sophomore transfer from Drake. (He played there last year with Micah) Plus, Malik Smith, a 6'2' GUARD senior transfer from FIU (Richard Pitino's former school?).  BOTH WERE DECLARED ELIGIBLE IMMEDIATELY FOR THIS SEASON-NO WAITING PERIOD OR YEAR OUT-BY THE NCAA.  Neither the NCAA site nor Minnesota site nor the press releases give the reason(s) for the transfer eligibility requests that were granted.  I guess there must be a boatlaod of hardship's going on that can be remedied by the NCAA when your dad coaches the reigning national champs! Wonder if the mustard guy over at the Trib would care to know this?

Last edited by grammudder (10/28/2013 5:07 pm)

11/19/2013 8:35 pm  #21

Now that we know what we know, I think it's clear that we need Micah Mason this year.

Board footera