Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2022 5:09 pm  #1

McCall out at UMass

After five Ferry-like years. John Becker, Archie Miller among the candidates to replace him...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33399867/umass-fire-men-head-basketball-coach-matt-mccall-five-seasons

3/02/2022 8:23 am  #2

Re: McCall out at UMass

The transfer portal really bit McCall and UMass hard when Tre Mitchell took his talents to Texas.  It may not have worked out well for Tre either; he is currently on a personal leave of absence from Texas over the past couple of weeks.
One note:  if the season ended today, the Dukes would face UMass in the A10 opener (#14 vs. #11).

3/11/2022 12:19 pm  #3

David Cox out at URI

3/11/2022 1:21 pm  #4

I was waiting for that one. They really care about bball which is good. Their coach had a winning record after 4 years. Dambrot has an even record after 5 years and is still here.  Mass. Coach was fired after 5 years.

Dambrot was not let go… it’s about the money honey.

3/11/2022 5:19 pm  #5

I don't know their finances but I contend that Duquesne is better off with the status quo than disrupting everything, losing your "keepers" from this team and ending up with a coach that is no better.  I don't think you fire a guy after one bad season after he has been a proven winner.  If they can bring in the right guys to augment the returning talent this could turn around very quickly.  Sometimes stability is more important to a program like Duquesne than making another knee-jerk reaction for the sake of change.  I've read all of the data collected by Wildwood; and there is no need to post it all again.  This is just my opinion, based on my gut feeling and years of experience.  

3/11/2022 10:11 pm  #6

Good post Levon… I still think he is still here because of the buyout and I hope our team succeeds next year. He has 2 years to get us to a tournament.

3/14/2022 11:44 am  #7

3/14/2022 1:01 pm  #8

Say what you will about KD, but this is definitely not a year to be out there looking for a new head coach.
Probably wouldn't get the time of the day from any of top candidates, and then have to settle with overpaying for someone not even close to your first few choices.

3/14/2022 2:27 pm  #9

MikeR wrote:

Say what you will about KD, but this is definitely not a year to be out there looking for a new head coach.
Probably wouldn't get the time of the day from any of top candidates, and then have to settle with overpaying for someone not even close to your first few choices.

So if we do get rid of Dambrot next year, we will be getting the fourth best coach available that would be interested in coaching in the A-10. It’s not like players, where there is a new class available each year to recruit from. Good thing Richmond is going dancing, because I really believe they were ready to make a move as well.

All these teams finished at least four games ahead of us in the standings and have returning players better than ours. These coaches were A-10 coaches that had the same years experience in the A-10 as Dambrot or less. So they all had to deal with the Covid and transfer portal, which has been major excuses for the coach. This leads me to the conclusion that we may not belong in the A-10, because we may not be able to compete with the other institutions when it comes to making the necessary changes when needed.

So let’s review the status of coaches in the A-10, the top six teams are keeping their coaches, unless they move onto a better situation. So far 3 teams getting new coaches. We remain pat, makes ten teams. Fordham and George Mason have first year coaches and made significant improvements their first year. That leaves St Joes and LaSalle. Billy Lange just completed his third year at St Joes and Ashley Howard his fourth at LaSalle. I think both of them are on pretty shaky grounds at their school. Where does that leave us ?

Last edited by Wildwood13 (3/14/2022 2:29 pm)

3/14/2022 2:55 pm  #10

One caveat to your post.  Nobody knows how many players will return to any program; but certainly the “returning cast” would be in question at schools that fired their coaches.  That is usually the cue to transfer.

3/14/2022 3:20 pm  #11

levon1975 wrote:

One caveat to your post.  Nobody knows how many players will return to any program; but certainly the “returning cast” would be in question at schools that fired their coaches.  That is usually the cue to transfer.

Very true Levon, but on the other hand, they may get the same result as George Mason and Fordham did in their first year coaches. Which is better than we stand as both have recruited a 4 star player already.

3/14/2022 3:37 pm  #12

Yes,
Both Fordham and Mason are well-placed having a plethora of good talent right in their own backyards.  There is no reason they shouldn't be able to attract talent to either of those schools.  It would be nice to have that luxury here in Pittsburgh where impactful D-1 players are very few and far between.  Fordham in particular will be interesting to watch, with St. John's kind of treading water in the Big East, there should be an opening for Fordham to hit on some prime talent.  It's not like they never got talent, in fact they've had some nice players matriculate to Fordham, in the last 10-years; but historically they don't stick around long.  Perhaps Neptune can change that pattern.     

3/24/2022 11:31 am  #13

Frank Martin about to ink deal with UMASS. Wow big time defense minded coach. Why not? Coached under Ronnie & Huggins. Had a good run in the South Eastern Cheaters Conference. Martin & Miller coming to the A10 should increase multiple bids as long as the bottom feeders pick up their game & facilities. Let’s see the next coaching move for Lasalle & GW.

3/24/2022 4:15 pm  #14

FAM wrote:

I was waiting for that one. They really care about bball which is good. Their coach had a winning record after 4 years. Dambrot has an even record after 5 years and is still here. Mass. Coach was fired after 5 years.

Dambrot was not let go… it’s about the money honey.

Should not have made that million a year for this coach coming from a lesser league making 400,000 a year at Akron. And 7 years at that. Make the next coach someone that is an Assist in a winning Major Program and offer 400,000/yr. base and incentives up to a million for results. And just 5 years. Very likely better results.

Board footera