Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2022 4:21 pm  #2

Re: Okani In The Portal

Not surprising.

3/14/2022 4:29 pm  #3

WashPaRick wrote:

Not surprising.

I agree Rick.  Good kid and wish him well.

Duquesne Sophomore Guard Toby Okani Enters Transfer Portal - Pittsburgh Sports Now

3/14/2022 4:33 pm  #4

The coaching staff and Toby seemed to be on pretty bad terms later in the season. During the Davidson game one of the Thomas brothers was really giving it to him and Dambrot seemed to have been getting frustrated with him time and time again too. Sad he didn't make the jump in performance this season that I thought he would. 

3/14/2022 4:42 pm  #5

We all know what a talented athlete Toby is. The basketball skills, at least on the offensive end of the court, were seriously lacking from what I could tell just as they were last year. A player with his athleticism would do much better in the paint and not shooting 3 balls. Was this coaching or just Toby trying to be something that he wasn't? Someone with more insight than I might better comment.

3/14/2022 4:43 pm  #6

BluffHunter wrote:

The coaching staff and Toby seemed to be on pretty bad terms later in the season. During the Davidson game one of the Thomas brothers was really giving it to him and Dambrot seemed to have been getting frustrated with him time and time again too. Sad he didn't make the jump in performance this season that I thought he would. 

That’s been true with too many players. It started with Lewis, then Williams, then Carey and Baker and now Okani. They all seemed like good players and nice kids and then things soured.

3/14/2022 5:25 pm  #7

Well, someone will take him, teach him, and Dambrot will have lost another player he COULDN’T relate to. For him to be in so quick he must have been very angry.  Maybe he will go to Kent State.

3/14/2022 6:30 pm  #8

This disappoints me because DU so rarely snags players with such a strong combination of physical attributes. As an A-10 SF with 3 years of eligibility remaining Okani is uncommonly long, fast, strong, experienced, & bouncy. As the 2 he & KD clearly aspired for him to be, his physical tools are very rare in this conference.

Unfortunately, he looked lost more often 40 games into his career than he did when he was only 15 games into his career. The way he ended the 2021 season was very encouraging to me. I suspect this defection is best for the team & the player.

With the right mindset, a ton of work, & the right situation, Okani could be a scary mid-major 3-and-D guy; possibly more.

Best of luck to him.

3/15/2022 9:07 am  #9

At least he didnt drag it out for weeks.    2 years here, nothing really got better for him.   He can go someplace and contribute.    Curious who is next......

3/15/2022 2:23 pm  #10

Seems like a nice kid. Definitely was blessed with athleticism. Hopefully, he will blossom in another program. Wish him the best.

Board footera