Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2022 1:03 pm  #1

3/21/2022 1:10 pm  #2

Re: Dukes Offer 6'6" JUCO Guard

3/21/2022 4:39 pm  #4

Kid looks like he can really shoot the rock and I love the size at PG and he also threw some really sweet passes in the video.  As KD said, we have to win end of March and April so we'll see.  

3/21/2022 6:58 pm  #5

3/22/2022 8:24 am  #6

PistolPete wrote:

Kid looks like he can really shoot the rock and I love the size at PG and he also threw some really sweet passes in the video.  As KD said, we have to win end of March and April so we'll see.  

As the late great Al McGuire said “ there is a reason why they are playing at the Division 2 level”. Does anyone playing Division 2 basketball ever play defense? Yes Pistol the kid looks promising but I remain somewhat skeptical. Especially, watching this years Dukes. Very difficult to lose 17 games in a row.

3/22/2022 10:19 am  #7

McGriff was rated a 4 star out of HS by Rivals.  Originally committed to UTEP but for some reason went JUCO, I like the fact that KD made the offer in person as it shows he really wants this kid.  I hope we land him.  Only takes a couple difference makers to turn things around. 

3/22/2022 12:47 pm  #8

Iron,
He's not a D-2 player, he is a JUCO player, who had D-1 offers out of HS.  He is clearly not a D-2 talent, but I do respect your concerns with defense.  If nothing else this season at Duquesne, and the winners and losers in the NCAA Tournament have clearly illustrated that you can't win with a poor defense.  Playing defense at this level first means a player must have the physical tools to be able to "stay in front" of D-1 athletes, second, the player must be able to understand the intricacies of defense at this level, and third the player must buy-in and want to work on defense in practice as well as the games.  The coaches have to evaluate these things before signing a player.  

3/22/2022 5:40 pm  #9

Iron, Al McGuire's been dead for 20 years, long before the Transfer Portal and the COVID year reshaped college basketball.  Many of these high school players had their D-1 scholarship offers pulled due to the glut of returning players and transfers.

levon, you are spot on regarding the absolute necessity of having a good defense to be successful. With some exceptions (like Murray St. changing defenses on almost every possession), most of these NCAA teams are playing 100% aggressive man to man.  Which as you mentioned requires first staying in front of your opponent, being disciplined on screens, and doubling when you have the opportunity, while your teammates quickly and smartly rotate to cover the entry pass.  On the offensive side, I saw in the NCAA's way too much of the stuff I complained about watching Duquesne - poor shot selection, no movement, one on one, too much dribbling, launching ill advised 3's etc.(just being done by more talented players than Duquesne rolled out there).  The emphasis on crisp offensive sets has been reduced in my opinion; makes it hard to watch sometimes.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (3/22/2022 5:41 pm)

3/23/2022 7:22 am  #10

Phoenix,
I absolutely agree with your assessment of the quality of the offense we are seeing in College hoops.  In my opinion the quality of the game has deteriorated to the point that watching the games is not enjoyable.

3/23/2022 8:15 am  #11

Are you telling me Al McGuire died😱Also meant JUCO instead of Div 2 players. Let’s face it basketball on the JUCO level is garbage. All offense no defense. Bad habits generally multiply in this environment. Div  1 programs that takes a chance on a JUCO players usually pays the price.  Run a sound offensive scheme with smart and team oriented players. Play Defense.  What I watched this season at Duquesne was an absolute disgrace.

3/23/2022 11:21 am  #12

3/23/2022 12:59 pm  #13

I saw that on Twitter. It makes me a little nervous because, aside from Texas A & M, none of the better programs shown there have offered as of today.

Maybe that should make me encouraged because perhaps that means DU has a better chance of securing his services.

My other hang-up with McGriff is that he figures to be more of a large 2 and occasional smallish 3 & that suggests that other valued players from the current roster are on their way out.

I think McGriff would be a huge get. He projects as a 3-level scorer with better passing skills than our current players, a track record as a good-very good 3PT shooter, has great size & a good handle for a 2, & has a man's body with 3 years of remaining eligibility.

As for the level of competition at the JUCO level & value of those recruits, both this player & his team are at the very upper echelon of that division. That makes a huge difference.

He is ranked as the 26th best JUCO in the country.  His teammate & PG, Jordan Brinson is #13. Package deal?

3/23/2022 1:22 pm  #14

So many players are entering that portal every day.   Its gotta be tough to look them all over, show interest in some, none in others, offer some, ignore others.   I wouldnt want to do it.   But its a necessary part of the game now, esp at a mid major, struggling to get a pulse.   No one here knows if this kid will be good or not.   He needs to demonstrate his desire and work ethic to the coaching staff.   Obviously he has talents, but that really only means so much if he doesnt want to defend or has a piss poor attitude, and that goes for any recruit, HS, juco, D1, D7, DX.  
Personally, from this bits I saw, I like the Drake Allen kid more than McGriff.   But thats just me.   

Last edited by townsonkid (3/23/2022 2:03 pm)

3/25/2022 8:33 am  #15

According to Pgh Sports Now he had a Zoom call with staff and now is planning an official visit.  All good news.

3/30/2022 3:42 pm  #16

Congrats to this kid, he made  the D1 JUCO Second Team All-America Team.

2021-22 NJCAA Division I Men's Basketball All-America Teams - NJCAA

3/30/2022 7:51 pm  #17

The more I learn about Quincy the more I like him.

However, I must say that I am growing frustrated & skeptical about next year's needed miracle turn around possibilities because of the uninspiring candidates for starting PG. 

3/31/2022 8:08 am  #18

Drake Allen on 2nd team as well, we are supposedly after him too.

4/14/2022 1:47 pm  #19

It seems as though DU & Wichita State will battle it out for Quincy's services. If he truly has 3 years of eligibility left, he would be the star of this year's recruiting class so far. His visit this weekend is a huge one.

Board footera