Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2022 6:39 pm  #26

Re: A10 Coaching Carousel

He's a good coach, but I thought he retired a few years ago. He's only a year and a half younger than the just-retired Coach K. Seems like a stopgap move until they figure out a longer-term option. I know Ashley Howard wasn't getting it done--his 3-1 record against Duquesne and KD notwithstanding--but still, takes more than four years to build a program at a school like that. 

4/07/2022 7:12 pm  #27

I think it is a great hire for LaSalle. They are getting a coach that has played at the school. One season 23-1 and another team that made the tournament in another season. He is the Big 5 all time winningest coach and has taken his teams to 17 NCAA tournaments. In seven seasons in the A10, he finished first twice, second three times and one third place finish. He was named A10 coach of the year twice and in six seasons in The AAC he was coach of the year twice.

I feel that LaSalle probably couldn’t lure a top young assistant, so they went with a successful alumnus. That also teaches courses at the university he coaches at. Therefore he is there to right the ship with the intentions of grooming the next coach.

In the ACC you presently have three coaches older than Dunphy. Laramaga at Miami, Hamilton at FSU and Boehiem at Syracuse.(excuse the spellings) You also have coach K who just retired and Williams from NC who retired last year that are also older.

When we go searching again, it would be nice to have a successful coach that is a Duquesne graduate, that would help to right the ship and groom the future coach with on the job training.

4/08/2022 8:14 am  #28

El Presidente wrote:

Dunphy is considerably older that KD. I really can't imagine what energy he can bring to the table. Who knows? He might do a great job. I would be looking for a young mid-forties assistant coach from a strong P5 program.

They just tried that didn’t work. Dunphy is a Philly guy. Who knows pick up a few 3 stars or Philly portal transfers. Can’t believe Lasalle fired Dr. G after He took that team to the sweet 16. Not sold on Dambrots future at Duquesne. Hopefully, I am wrong. The good news is the recent influx of new coaches in the A10. Also Rambler Nation coming to the conference. 4 automatic bids in March should also dictate 3-4 NIT invites.

4/08/2022 9:28 am  #29

Wildwood13 wrote:

When we go searching again, it would be nice to have a successful coach that is a Duquesne graduate, that would help to right the ship and groom the future coach with on the job training.

Just out of curiosity, who would that be? Off the top of my head, I can only think of two Duquesne graduates with significant basketball coaching experience. Derrick Alston, '94, who's spent the last three years as head coach of the Knicks' G-league team in Westchester County, NY. Was an assistant there for four years before that and an assistant with the Houston Rockets for three years before that. And Kenya Hunter, '96(?), who was just promoted to associate head coach at Indiana and has 20 years of NCAA assistant coaching experience with stops at UConn, Nebraska, Georgetown, Xavier and Duquesne, plus a basketball admin role at NC State. Is there anyone else? Don't think there'd be anyone of Fran Dunphy's vintage (class of '70), but would have to defer to CLK, KenOTR, etc on that one.

FWIW, I'd be happy to see either of those guys return to Duquesne as head coach, but I'm not sure there's much of a coaching talent pool beyond them. Am I overlooking anyone?

Last edited by DennisC91 (4/08/2022 9:55 am)

4/08/2022 10:03 am  #30

Dennis, there is no Duquesne alumnus out there with these types of accomplishments as a coach. Maybe I expressed myself incorrectly. I think it would be nice if we could fall back on an alumnus coach with those type of accomplishments. That would be willing to come back to his alma mater and right the ship at any age and also groom a young assistant to takeover once mission is accomplished.

4/08/2022 11:51 am  #31

Neat discussion. Curious if anyone knows what Ajax is up to. Just checked his Wikipedia profile and that doesn't indicate that he's playing anywhere. Another article from January '21 has him busy being a dad. His energy, basketball IQ, and leadership seem to make him a natural to coach at some point. Maybe just not ready for that yet. Hard to believe he's 35. Would be interesting to see him around here again.

4/08/2022 12:24 pm  #32

You guys are playing 3D chess and the DU AD staff cant win at Connect Four.   

4/21/2022 7:37 am  #33

With Jay Wright's SHOCKING Departure at Villanova --  First name thrown out there was Kyle Neptune -  Fordham's Present Coach

4/21/2022 9:51 am  #35

What an incredible year for Kyle Neptune!  One year doing a great job at previous A-10 doormat Fordham; and now making an apparent jump to Villanova!  Great for him; but tough break for Fordham who finally looked like they solved their basketball coaching problem.  Of course it’s another case where the players are left in  limbo after losing their coach.

4/21/2022 4:57 pm  #36

You probably know this already, Levon, but Neptune was an assistant at Villanova on Jay Wright's staff for 10 years across two separate stints, including both national championship teams in 2016 and 2018. Then they got the chance to see what he could do as a head coach at Fordham and I guess the results were compelling enough to bring him back as Wright's successor. Tough loss for Fordham, but not as big a loss as Jay Wright's retiring is for college basketball. 

4/25/2022 6:55 pm  #37

From a good news story about Jay Wright to a scum of the earth story on college hoop coaches.  Remember when Will Wade, then at VCU,  mocked Duquesne because it didn't have any banners hanging from its rafters and belittled Duquesne because of that.  Well, Mr. Wade is probably done as a coach.  Anyone wonder why ALL OF THE LSU team entered the transfer portal this year?.  Easy answer is this.  Because there was no one left to pay the promised $$$$$$ to the recruits.  Over $300K is alleged by the NCAA and Federal criminal authorities as the amount Wade paid or handled arrangements for players to be paid.  Wade is lucky he and other coaches (Like Sean Miller) did not face RICO indictments along with the ADIDAS crooks who conspired with coaches to corrupt college hoops.  Yes, Virginia, there is justice.  Will Wade rightfully got his share of it.  Sorry for the digression.  I just had to get that thorn out of my side!!!!!

Last edited by grammudder (4/25/2022 6:55 pm)

4/25/2022 7:29 pm  #38

I do love to see justice served!! Jay Wright and Will Wade. Bigger difference than night vs. day!!
Really sorry to see JW leaving the coaching ranks. Totally class act from everything I've seen and as a coach there was no one better IMO!!

4/25/2022 8:16 pm  #39

DennisC91 wrote:

You probably know this already, Levon, but Neptune was an assistant at Villanova on Jay Wright's staff for 10 years across two separate stints, including both national championship teams in 2016 and 2018. Then they got the chance to see what he could do as a head coach at Fordham and I guess the results were compelling enough to bring him back as Wright's successor. Tough loss for Fordham, but not as big a loss as Jay Wright's retiring is for college basketball. 

Right, makes one wonder when Wright knew he would retire; was Fordham ever going to be more than a one-year gig for Neptune?

4/26/2022 11:12 am  #40

There's talk now that Jay Wright may move to the NBA after all. As for Neptune, I think his one year at Fordham, taking a perennial doormat to respectability, was arguably more impressive than the rest of Wright's coaching tree, whose overall performance is kind of underwhelming. Pat Chambers, Baker Dunleavy, Fred Hill, Ashley Howard, Billy Lange. Neptune's younger than all and has more years in Wright's system than any of those. 

Board footera