Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2022 3:33 pm  #1

Players own the college game.

The college players own the game of college basketball. They can come and go as they please, wether it is through the transfer portal or electing to go pro. It is totally ruining the college game. These players have all the rights and no accountability. The NCAA is too stupid to know how to fix it. I will give them a few suggestions.

If a player elects to go pro before his eligibility is used up, he would owe the school the money for the cost of the education for that time period that is remaining. The majority of the players would think twice about an early exit. The lottery players would not have any problem paying this balance. The fringe players would have to think real hard about  their final decision and most of them would benefit from staying in school. Basically, it is just like the way the schools handled the coaches jumping from team to team with the buyouts. It works both ways !

The transfer portal is a little trickier. If a player transfers to another school, that school that picks up that transfer owes the former school the balance of the cost of education to the school losing the player. This will stop a lot of schools from poaching other schools players. The players when signing a letter of intent will have to think long and hard about their original commitment knowing that there may not be a school out there willing to pay this price. There would be exceptions, like if the coach that recruited the player moves to another school, that player could transfer without any penalty being involved. Another reasonable exemption would be an illness in the family, so the player could be closer to home. I am sure there are a lot of other reasonable exemptions. 

I understand that at the end of each year a school makes a decision wether to retain players on scholarship. If a player does work out basketball wise, he still gets free education for the remaining years. If the above is in place, schools will only be issuing players scholarships they really want for four years instead of filling in gaps and taking shots on players.

Just some thoughts, because the way it’s going, it is killing the game in so many ways. I myself like college basketball best of all the sports. If Duquesne does not put out a quality product, I root and watch the other A10 teams, after that I root for other small catholic schools. But the portal will continue to destroy the mid majors. I refuse to root for the blue bloods.

Any thoughts ?

4/18/2022 4:34 pm  #2

Re: Players own the college game.

Wildwood13 wrote:

The college players own the game of college basketball. They can come and go as they please, wether it is through the transfer portal or electing to go pro. It is totally ruining the college game. These players have all the rights and no accountability. The NCAA is too stupid to know how to fix it. I will give them a few suggestions.

They now have considerably more influence and leverage in the situation, as they should in my opinion. The NCAA and the universities and coaches have been raking in the dough for years from the product these kids put on the field. I’m just talking football and basketball here btw. Why shouldn’t they be able to benefit financially and have a say in their future?

College coaches (not all) have a used car salesman tone to the things they say. They preach loyalty and commitment, and are out the door as soon as a bigger paycheck comes knocking. How about them having all the rights and no accountability? And at the highest levels of sport you have coaches who are the highest paid state employee, while the kids (again, the ones producing the product on the field) should be happy with a meal pass and a place to stay while they make these universities Fortune 500 level revenues year in and out. Really easy to blame the players for getting a tiny slice of the pie, when in reality all along the powers that be have been getting richer and richer off their sweat and hard work, and can come and go as they please. In a lot of cases leaving their current school and players high and dry sneaking out in the middle of the night (Bryan Kelly).

I don’t disagree that the transfer rule doesn’t help with program continuity, especially at our level and below, but the entire system is crooked and broken. Those at the top want to make as much as possible, and give back as little as possible. I agree with the overall premise but the players are the smallest part of the problem that exists today.

Last point, these kids, just like any other college student, have the right to go to school, and leave school early if it doesn’t work out or they have an opportunity to make millions in the pros. Your arguing to force someone to stay against their will when playing a sport that provides a small window to make generation changing money for them and their families? Just a bad take here.

Wildwood13 wrote:

a player elects to go pro before his eligibility is used up, he would owe the school the money for the cost of the education for that time period that is remaining. The majority of the players would think twice about an early exit. The lottery players would not have any problem paying this balance. The fringe players would have to think real hard about  their final decision and most of them would benefit from staying in school. Basically, it is just like the way the schools handled the coaches jumping from team to team with the buyouts. It works both ways !

Your going to make a kid pay for tuition for classes they didn’t attend? Again because they have life changing monetary opportunities based on their skill and talent???  Yeah that’s a good system, punish kids for pursuing their dreams. That would be a perfect way to ensure college basketball dies completely and the G league or some other developmental league takes over that won’t try to keep them in school or make them pay to leave.

Huge flaw in your logic, your citing coaches buyouts. Coaches don’t pay for those themselves, the university that wants them pays the school they are currently under contract with for the rights to sign them. In your example the player would have to fund their own “buyout”. You also state (which is true) elsewhere in your own post that players scholarships are year to year and coaches can cut them loose or keep them if they want. Despite these being one year deals, you would expect a player to pay for 1-3 years of tuition they didn’t benefit from to chase their pro dreams???? (Also ignoring the fact that they are basically forced to attend 1 year of college with taking away players ability to go from high school to the pros?)

So to reiterate, coaches should have the ability to throw a kid out on the street year to year, but if the player wants to leave they would have to pay the school upwards of $100k+ to try to go pro??? Oh wait, you said unless the coach leaves them high and dry, only then can they move freely and without a cost? Even though in the same situation if a coach left to make more money, they wouldn’t have to pay a cent of their buyout. See how backwards that sounds?

Wildwood13 wrote:

The transfer portal is a little trickier. If a player transfers to another school, that school that picks up that transfer owes the former school the balance of the cost of education to the school losing the player. This will stop a lot of schools from poaching other schools players. The players when signing a letter of intent will have to think long and hard about their original commitment knowing that there may not be a school out there willing to pay this price. There would be exceptions, like if the coach that recruited the player moves to another school, that player could transfer without any penalty being involved. Another reasonable exemption would be an illness in the family, so the player could be closer to home. I am sure there are a lot of other reasonable exemptions. 

This will also stop Duquesne from getting any transfers, you think the athletic program or university at large would start buying out players to improve the team? Even if they were generating money from other players leaving? That sounds like trafficking more than anything. To me that would only more greatly benefit the big schools yet again. You know, the ones with unlimited coffers to spend on athletics? You think spending $100k to pick up Eric Williams would have been a big deal for Oregon? Or TJ to Zona? You think Duquesne would also have no issue paying $100k to improve the team, on top of giving the kid a full ride? Hell no.

That would literally only make the divide from the top to the rest even greater. Agree the system is heavily flawed, but you are certainly blaming the least culpable party in my opinion.

These arguments are the type of points that will put you on the wrong side of history in 5 years as this progresses. The Supreme Court ruled in favor of the players, not the other way around Jack.

Last edited by Duques102 (4/18/2022 4:38 pm)

4/18/2022 4:36 pm  #3

Only one question for me - Does the NCAA grow a backbone and tell the second time transfers that there will be no waivers. You have to sit out a year. That’s what the rule says. My guess is that waivers will be doled out like candy. Thus, further ruining the game.

4/18/2022 4:54 pm  #4

What's the use anymore?

4/18/2022 4:56 pm  #5

I had season tickets the last couple years. I was taking my son. It was a bonding event. I don't know how you can keep interested in this. It's terrible.

4/18/2022 5:00 pm  #6

I believe we have a judge on the message board who might explain
a recent Supreme Court decision that I think-I'm not a lawyer-ruled
for a former player and that decision resulted in  NIL and a permanent transfer 
portal.  The NCAA was in violation of some anti-trust laws by the way they
treated the players.  One of the justices ripped up the NCAA on their treatment of the
players. 

4/18/2022 5:11 pm  #7

All I have to say, is Duques 102, I have no idea what you are reading into, but you are missing a lot and coming up with crazy conclusions. I would break it down but really isn’t worth my time. By the way your solutions were very helpful.

4/18/2022 5:20 pm  #8

1111 Vickroy wrote:

I had season tickets the last couple years. I was taking my son. It was a bonding event. I don't know how you can keep interested in this. It's terrible.

I think I am done.  Been a season ticket holder since Dambrot's first year (never once attended a game, but usually donated the tickets to charity). This transfer thing is ridiculous!  The mid majors are now just farm teams for the Big Boys (or the grass is always greener programs) and I don't want to hear about  "Hey it affects "fill in the blank better than Duquesne" school.. They have programs that have known winning. We don't!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

4/18/2022 5:42 pm  #9

Wildwood13 wrote:

All I have to say, is Duques 102, I have no idea what you are reading into, but you are missing a lot and coming up with crazy conclusions. I would break it down but really isn’t worth my time. By the way your solutions were very helpful.

Not reading into anything, you literally asked for thoughts on your points, that’s what I put down. That was the point of my post, I don’t have a solution. If you read my thoughts, I agree with your premise that the game is ruined for the mid majors, I just completely disagree the players are to blame.

Funny you have time to write out a post and ask for thoughts, but when met with disagreement on your points suddenly your time becomes too valuable for a response.

What am I missing? What “crazy conclusions” am I making? I directly quoted three of your paragraphs and addressed your points directly. Funny your time is now too valuable for a response (even though you responded).

Maybe next time just say don’t respond unless you are going to lap up my thoughts as gospel.

Was really looking forward to discussion on the counter points and direct questions posed to you, but alas your time is just too valuable.

4/21/2022 7:31 am  #10

HookShot wrote:

Only one question for me - Does the NCAA grow a backbone and tell the second time transfers that there will be no waivers. You have to sit out a year. That’s what the rule says. My guess is that waivers will be doled out like candy. Thus, further ruining the game.

Agree with Hook Shot with one caveat -  IF the coach leaves for another position or is relieved of his duties --   ALL players in the program get one more free bite of the apple -  but it HAS to be done in the next year

Board footera