Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2022 9:32 am  #1

4/22/2022 10:28 am  #2

Re: Tevin Brewer On Official Visit

As we are all disgusted over long term DU bball and the last two years, I would be remiss in not commenting on the recruits that the coaches are getting on campus.  We didn’t get these under the former coach and maybe not even RE who did a nice job on the bluff. We need to remember that the ‘assistant twins’ played pro ball and DAMBROT has used the LeBron James mantra…to his credit.  We don’t know how many or who,we will finally have but it looks like they are working hard on this. 

4/22/2022 10:52 am  #3

Looks like Elijah Easter a Virginia high schooler is also visiting today.

4/22/2022 11:26 am  #4

So we now have two 5'8" guards we are recruiting???  Good grief.

4/22/2022 12:11 pm  #5

So we now have two 5'8" guards we are recruiting???  Good grief.

Look at it this way Pete.  When you add 6'6" with 5' 8" you get an average PG of 6'1"..Not so terrible is it?

4/22/2022 1:45 pm  #6

I just don't get it grammudder, why two 5'8" guys??  It makes no sense to me unless we are playing a grade school schedule!!  LOL  Anyone have any intel on Elijah Easter?

4/22/2022 2:34 pm  #7

Brewer is in my opinion a much better guard than any of the ones we lost.  I have watched some of the FIU games and the kid is a player, third team Conference USA.  He reminds me of the small 5'8" Richmond PG.  As the article said he excels in the pick and roll, one of the best.  The problem at this point is that Dambrot has failed to secure an A10 caliber experienced center from the portal, and there is no evidence that he is recruiting one. 

Dambrot is not done recruiting, so I am going reserve further comments until the class is finalized. As of right now we have commitments from 2 HS recruits (if Pratt signs), three prep recruits and two JUCOs. No direct experienced D1 transfers from the Portal.

4/22/2022 2:58 pm  #8

CLK wrote:

Brewer is in my opinion a much better guard than any of the ones we lost.  I have watched some of the FIU games and the kid is a player, third team Conference USA.  He reminds me of the small 5'8" Richmond PG.  As the article said he excels in the pick and roll, one of the best.  The problem at this point is that Dambrot has failed to secure an A10 caliber experienced center from the portal, and there is no evidence that he is recruiting one. 

Dambrot is not done recruiting, so I am going reserve further comments until the class is finalized. As of right now we have commitments from 2 HS recruits (if Pratt signs), three prep recruits and two JUCOs. No direct experienced D1 transfers from the Portal.

Do you mean Kevin Anderson that starred at Richmond? He is one of the A-10's all-time great guards; maybe the best micro-guard from a conference that has produced many. It's funny because he is who I thought of watching some of Brewer's tape.

I really like Brewer. That would be doubly true for me if he has 2 years left to play. Can anyone confirm how much eligibility he has? I think he graduated from high school in 2018.

Brewer is way less of a long shot than Rozier. His 3 years of progressively better D-1 production, experience, shooting percentages, playmaking ability, & age make me feel like he is likely to be a good A-10 starting PG.

I'm confused. Did Tre Clarke not come from the portal?

Is anybody perplexed or concerned that thus far there have been no actual signings for next season?

Last edited by phil95 (4/22/2022 3:03 pm)

4/22/2022 4:39 pm  #9

Jacob Gilyard at Richmond these past sixty years is under 6’. This kid from FIU is rated as the #1 pick and roll guard in the country. That means he can pass as well as score. Novel idea - a point guard who can pass. The Dukes always announce their recruiting class as a whole, so we may not hear of the signings until mid-May. But, I agree, it would be nice to get some official word.

4/22/2022 5:07 pm  #10

phil95 wrote:

Is anybody perplexed or concerned that thus far there have been no actual signings for next season?

I can only infer from that the roster remains in a state of flux. The spring signing period started last Wednesday. By this time last year, most of the recruiting class was finalized with Easley added in early May. The final recruiting period starts Monday and ends Thursday. So it's put up or shut up time pretty soon. Verbals so far:

LA Pratt
David Dixon
Kareem Rozier
Tre Clark
Matus Hronsky
Halil Barre
Quincy McGriff

Did I miss anyone? Meanwhile, five from last year's roster have transferred out, one is out of eligibility, one has declared for the draft but not hired an agent. And who knows what Gunn and Rotroff's statuses are for next year. 

4/22/2022 9:46 pm  #11

PistolPete wrote:

I just don't get it grammudder, why two 5'8" guys??  It makes no sense to me unless we are playing a grade school schedule!!  LOL  Anyone have any intel on Elijah Easter?

I've seen Easter listed at both 5'9" and 5'10" and 140 pounds. Big fella.

4/23/2022 8:07 am  #12

WashPaRick wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

I've seen Easter listed at both 5'9" and 5'10" and 140 pounds. Big fella.

I think this kid may be a walk on. I don't see any other D1 offers.  

Corey Stitzel on Twitter: "VA Premier PG Elijah Easter on his visit to Duquesne. Pictured with the great Terry Wiegand! https://t.co/6phM2JHFhv" / Twitter

4/23/2022 9:23 am  #13

ok, I'll go along with you guys on Brewer, proven player at a good level, but he would be it for me in terms of undersized guards.  I would really like to see us get Dai Dai and Corey to round out the guards.  Of course getting Theiro would be big as well, but he is getting major interest.

4/23/2022 9:24 am  #14

Sorry, the kid from Butler is Devin Carney.

4/23/2022 10:31 am  #15

CLK wrote:

CLK I would love to get a solid experienced center. I don’t see this staff pulling a rabbit out of the transfer poll hat. Also agree will your concern regarding the latest recruit at center. However, the coaching staff has six months to work with Hima who has a great upside talent wise. Hima is not timid although he does take foolish fouls. Love his aggressive nature in attempting to block EVERY shot within his 7’4 reach. I could live with Rotroff assuming he does not get hurt again. Big assumption. Hima in my opinion can reach the top tier of A10 centers. IF, BIG IF, the staff coaches him up. That falls squarely on the shoulders of Dambrot & his coaching staff! Six months in the gym is plenty of time especially if the new guards actually run a sound offense. 

Last edited by Ironduke81 (4/23/2022 10:41 am)

4/23/2022 11:16 am  #16

If Hima is not ready to play some significant minutes this season, when will he ever be?
As mentioned, Hima is in need of preparation for the 5 spot and I'm hoping that he is getting what he needs from the staff. Are there not big man camps for players to attend to help them with their game? Would hope that Hima would have taken advantage of this. True, recruiting may not be over but the odds of landing a significant big from the portal seem to be diminishing as each day goes by. Still hoping for a surprise!

Last edited by El Presidente (4/23/2022 11:16 am)

Board footera