Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2022 3:57 pm  #1

Roster 2022-2023, Are Dambrot supporters still here ?

At the present moment this is our roster
Gunn- injury status unknown 
Rotroff- injury status unknown
Barba- injury status unknown
Easley- pro status unknown
Hima - ok to go but coach really doesn’t like using him
Williams- injured but should be ok,
We do have two non scholarship players but they have seen very limited action.
This is ridiculous!!!!!

We do have verbal commits, but none are signed at this point !!!! Who really knows if they will sign. The signing date was April 13, and 12 days later not one has signed,

We are in serious trouble in my opinion. In year six this is where we are at ? Totally unacceptable!!!

4/25/2022 5:18 pm  #2

Re: Roster 2022-2023, Are Dambrot supporters still here ?

“Step away from the window sir”.  Let things play out before you jump!  I really don’t think signing a letter is as important as it once was; since a guy can sign and then enter the portal; so what do you gain?  They created a few more openings in the last few days; so we should see them begin to fill soon.  They also have four guys committed in Barre’, Clark, Dixon and Quincy McGriff; so I’m feeling pretty good that they will close the class out with some good players! They may also have signed letters for some guys; but just waiting to release them as a group.

Last edited by levon1975 (4/25/2022 8:17 pm)

4/25/2022 5:20 pm  #3

With all due respect, isn’t there a story out there about a chicken and the sky falling? We knew a roster makeover was taking place. We know we have six commits. We know DU announces recruiting classes together. I don’t think the sky has fallen yet.

4/25/2022 5:50 pm  #4

Players are still entering the portal. I read that Bekelja has entered.
It appears we have a poker game going on in recruiting. 
Player and coaches each have cards and are holding the cards to
see who bluffs who.
I think the strategy of waiting to have a signing until the end is good.
Because of the portal and NIL, recruiting has now become a test of nerves.
Hopefully, you get the best match for player and team that is possible.

4/25/2022 6:58 pm  #5

HookShot wrote:

With all due respect, isn’t there a story out there about a chicken and the sky falling? We knew a roster makeover was taking place. We know we have six commits. We know DU announces recruiting classes together. I don’t think the sky has fallen yet.

Oh Gee, another roster of newcomers who have never played together. Can't wait to hear Dambrot call it (all together now.......)  his best and most talented roster yet!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

4/25/2022 7:30 pm  #6

Tejas_Duke wrote:

HookShot wrote:

Oh Gee, another roster of newcomers who have never played together. Can't wait to hear Dambrot call it (all together now.......)  his best and most talented roster yet!

Let's hope that this time it turns out to be true!!

4/25/2022 7:51 pm  #7

Put me down in the camp of, he hasn't gotten it right the last 2 years maybe the 3rd time is the charm. At least , let's hope so !!!!

4/25/2022 8:18 pm  #8

I have to agree with Tejas on this.   2 verbal commitments is all they have at this point off a 6 win season.  It’s a continuation of the same train wreck. 

And I really want to pound my head with a hammer when I hear the “Well this year we are really going to work hard” argument.  What in the hell were you doing last year? 

Pardon me, if a staff member said that to me they would be gone.

4/25/2022 8:20 pm  #9

levon1975 wrote:

“Step away from the window sir”.  Let things play out before you jump!  I really don’t think signing a letter is as important as it once was; since a guy can sign and then enter the portal; so what do you gain?  They created a few more openings in the last few days; so we should see them begin to fill soon.  They also have four guys committed in Barre’, Clark, Dixon and Quincy McGriff; so I’m feeling pretty good that they will close the class out with some good players! They may also have signed letters for some guys; but just waiting to release them as a group.

Sorry, forgot Rozier and Hronsky; so that’s 6 commits.

4/25/2022 8:45 pm  #10

levon1975 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Sorry, forgot Rozier and Hronsky; so that’s 6 commits.

They are very good at creating openings.

4/25/2022 10:02 pm  #11

Levon and Hook shot: as long as your happy with six verbal commits and the above roster, that’s fine. I hope all six sign and the remnants of the roster put out a team that your happy with. Some fairy better wave their magic wand to improve on last years 6-24 record. Two Juco’s and four first year collegiate players along with last years players and basically none of them played with each other. Save you some time, hear are the excuses, it will take time for them to play with each other, we have a short bench, our kids are exhausted, it takes time to learn the college game and we are young. After the season let’s see which of these players stay. Just being realistic. I hope for all of us I am wrong, but my money is on a continuing disaster. In five years only one player stayed his entire eligibility excluding senior transfers. Plus the fact each year a Dambrot coached team has gotten progressively worse as the season moved forward.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (4/26/2022 7:31 am)

4/26/2022 8:06 am  #12

There is one major difference in this year’s recruiting class that should be a major factor. The coaches have seen these kids play live and in person and have had these kids in for official visits. Last year they recruited via video and had no official visits. So, I do expect improvement. Being optimistic, a jump toward the middle with a winning record is what I expect.

4/26/2022 8:17 am  #13

HookShot wrote:

There is one major difference in this year’s recruiting class that should be a major factor. The coaches have seen these kids play live and in person and have had these kids in for official visits. Last year they recruited via video and had no official visits. So, I do expect improvement. Being optimistic, a jump toward the middle with a winning record is what I expect.

Hook Shot, I hope you are right, I myself have lost faith in this coaching staff. I am always rooting for a good season. We will see what happens.

4/26/2022 8:23 am  #14

I’ve stated my belief  before that Dambrot definitely deserves another year, possibly two for stability.  If that doesn’t work, grab Kenya Hunter.  However, some things that give me optimism:
1.  The recruits this year seem
To be higher caliber than normal with offers from better schools.  If all of them sign (I expect they will), and if we can add Grant or Brewer (or better yet, both), then I expect us to be a much improved team.
2. I think the A10 is portioning itself to be the strongest it has been in years.  With Miller and Martin plus Dumphry (not sure if that hire is good or not. He may be gassed), not to mention Loyola Chicago, I truly believe we should be a consistent 4 bid league if things go as I hope.  If that happens, it means being middle of the pack can get NIT invites and that we don’t have to perform at such a high lvl to make the ncaa tournament. 
3.  I believe the in person recruiting will hopefully help us evaluate talent.

I may be wrong, but I am an eternal optimist so I’ll be rooting as hard as ever.  I also don’t begrudge those of you who don’t believe in the team and administration, that’s what forums are for!  Time will tell!

Last edited by Simms (4/26/2022 8:23 am)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

4/26/2022 9:54 am  #15

Wildwood13 wrote:

HookShot wrote:

Hook Shot, I hope you are right, I myself have lost faith in this coaching staff. I am always rooting for a good season. We will see what happens.

Very good points by both posters.

With still so many unknowns ( final roster , schedule , team health , etc .... ) I am fine with Hook Shot's scenario.

I can also see Wildwood's hesitation in buying in. The last couple of years have certainly not been pretty. It is my hope that the coaching staff adjusts a bit to the new normal. I don't expect coach D. to go all soft , but maybe a bit more of a move to the center of the spectrum ( soft vs. hard ass ) would be cool.

4/26/2022 11:12 am  #16

I think we’ll all have to acclimate ourselves to roster upheaval annually.  Kids like the process of being pursued by college coaches.  It boosts their egos, their profile, marketability and ultimately puts money in their pocket.  So if a player has a break-out year at a less desirable school; he will most likely be in the portal looking to move-up to a higher profile program.  Even P-5 schools are not immune to this movement.  If a guy has a good year at a P-5 bottom-feeder; he’ll likely be looking to move up to an upper echelon program. 
Unless they step-back on the rules governing the Portal; I don’t see this changing!

Board footera