Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2022 4:58 pm  #1

St. Bonaventure and the Transfer Portal

What the heck is going on in Olean with the following TEN (10) players in the Transfer Portal?

Osun Osunniyi
Kyle Lofton
Dominic Welch
Jaren Holmes
Quadry Adams
Linton Brown
Abdoul Karim Coulibaly
Oluwasegun Durosinmmi
Pedro Rossi
Joryam Saizonou

4/28/2022 5:10 pm  #2

Re: St. Bonaventure and the Transfer Portal

Maybe they were supposed to get some of the Will Wade money!!!  Mostly fifth year seniors with one more year of eligibility to use.

Last edited by grammudder (4/28/2022 5:11 pm)

4/28/2022 5:54 pm  #3

I knew they had a bunch of reserves in the portal, but then Holmes entered it last week, Welch yesterday, Lofton and Osunniyi today. Jalen Adaway's leaving to turn pro. So they're pretty much turning over their entire roster. They have transfers coming in from St. Peter's, Hartford and Holy Cross, but wow. 

4/28/2022 8:25 pm  #4

I can see why Jay Wright left Villanova. College basketball and these kids are very hard to like anymore. Just too much bs. Coaches over 50 got to really dislike the state of affairs in the college game. I myself am getting turned off of the sport I enjoyed the most.

4/29/2022 9:18 am  #5

“The lure of easy money has a very strong appeal”

"Smugglers Blues"  Glenn Frey

Last edited by levon1975 (4/29/2022 9:37 am)

4/29/2022 9:44 am  #6

Interesting timing on the St. Bonaventure mass exodus.  I wonder if St.Bona. would have matched the reported $1.7 million offer that UMASS allegedly made to Schmidt if they knew that their whole team was going to jump ship?

4/29/2022 10:05 am  #7

Good question. I wondered if Schmidt was leaving after all, but where would he be going at this point? Waiting for our man in Olean, phil95, to weigh in on this development. 

Oh and another factor: NIL deals. There's a kid at Miami threatening to transfer unless he gets a sweeter NIL deal there. Read somewhere the other day that NCAA Division 1 was going to break apart by 2030. Something to look forward to...

4/29/2022 12:17 pm  #8

Right,
The author predicted that the P-5 would pull out of the NCAA in the 2030's and start their own organization, run the basketball tournament and include only P-5 member-schools.  I assume that the numbers would mean that all P-5 schools would be in the Tournament.  It would mean they could keep all of the revenue for themselves without splitting it with the NCAA, non P-5  schools.  It all sounds pretty boring to me.  They are apparently selling the narrative that nobody pays attention to the early rounds, and the public only cares about the tournament in the second weekend, when most of the mid-majors are eliminated.  I see it quite differently, but the decisions won't be made on the "charm" of the David and Goliath matchups; but on the added revenue generated for the money devouring P-5.  Imagine how exciting it will be having two bottom-feeding P-5 schools that have already been over-exposed on TV all season, playing in a tournament.  

Last edited by levon1975 (4/29/2022 2:44 pm)

4/29/2022 1:04 pm  #9

Based on the tone of some posts I thought DU was the only school getting killed by the portal. Huh.

It’s a great time if you’re a fan of a P5 school. For everyone else, go to sleep. It really sucks. I love(d) CBB. At least the womens game is still fun.

Last edited by Face (4/29/2022 1:04 pm)

4/29/2022 1:27 pm  #10

In the portal right now there is an average of 4 1/2 players for each of the 353 Div. 1 teams. I think it will easily reach 5 per team before we're done.

4/29/2022 2:07 pm  #11

MikeR wrote:

In the portal right now there is an average of 4 1/2 players for each of the 353 Div. 1 teams. I think it will easily reach 5 per team before we're done.

AND when you add maybe 2-3 per school who have completed their eligibility and HAVE to move on -  You're looking at between 7-8 players per 13 player roster --  OVER 50% Turnover Per Roster!!!!

4/29/2022 3:09 pm  #12

St. Bonaventure's goose is cooked.  For the first time in a long time, Duquesne is in a better position than they are.  It will be very hard for St. Bonaventure to get good players to ever come there again.

4/29/2022 3:56 pm  #13

Bilgy wrote:

St. Bonaventure's goose is cooked.  For the first time in a long time, Duquesne is in a better position than they are.  It will be very hard for St. Bonaventure to get good players to ever come there again.

Don't be so quick, Bilgy.  They said the same thing after Weldergate; Mark Schmidt did a great job of bringing that program out of the abyss. 

4/29/2022 4:12 pm  #14

It's a very sad state of affairs. My favorite college sport and maybe my overall favorite and it's come to this. If I didn't care so much about the game, I would just chuck it all and watch the Pirates lose 100 games!

4/30/2022 5:47 am  #15

Townson your wish has already been granted and it causing a lot “agita” and may be another factor in coaches like Jay Wright calling it a day. A recent WSJ article detailed the shock factor to these kids of receiving 1099’s for their services and the subsequent need to file a return. Jermaine Samuels on Nova was specifically mention. What I found amusing was his feelings that the university was responsible for helping him sort out his tax return. This maybe the next area for scandals in the sport. 

4/30/2022 9:25 am  #16

As mudder said, most of these were fifth year seniors.  You can NOT compare their leaving to the Dukes having younger players leave the last two years.  Plus, a lot of these guys decided to stay last year instead of leave.  On another note...yes, Primo left to go to another losing program, but he went to a very good league and they are getting some other top notch players.  How many kids have gone to Georgetown from Duquesne?

Board footera