Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2022 9:22 pm  #1

3/16/2022 3:08 pm  #2

Re: Okani enters the transfer portal

Only reason Hima went to DU when higher up programs wanted him was Okani. Just great. For all you Hima is a spot player types, he will transfer and you all keep looking for that 6'7" center that gets 3 rebounds per game, like Williams, but doesn't impend our non-existant-offense. Great. 

3/16/2022 6:56 pm  #3

NapaDuke wrote:

Only reason Hima went to DU when higher up programs wanted him was Okani. Just great. For all you Hima is a spot player types, he will transfer and you all keep looking for that 6'7" center that gets 3 rebounds per game, like Williams, but doesn't impend our non-existant-offense. Great. 

Can you please cool it with the inaccurate, hyperbolic statements?

I am a huge fan of Hima & his upside. Expressing your concern that Hima will hit the portal because Okani did doesn't require your crapping on Tre Williams.

By just about any measure, Tre Williams is already a good  A-10 player.  I would argue that from the beginning of the season to the the early end to his season, he was the team's best & most consistent player. He was an all-conference defensive player that lead his team in blocks, rebounds, & FG percentage, on winning teams & in a good conference, before he even set foot on The Bluff.

He averaged 10.8 points, 5.7 rebounds, an assist, & 2.08 blocks per game as a COVID-shirt sophomore. He had more double doubles than foul-outs while not having another serviceable "big" to play with for 20 of his 26 games. 

A-10 teams clearly game planned to limit his low post offense. He has 2 years of remaining eligibility. This is a player the program needs to return & thrive in a major, if modified, role.

While I will be thrilled if Hima puts up those numbers next season as a redshirt sophomore. I will also be shocked if that happens.

3/16/2022 7:41 pm  #4

Okani shot 25% from the 3 under 40% overall
His assist TO  ratio was bad. He played in 48 games
Acuff also played 48 games
He shot 36% from the 3 over 45% overall
His assist ratio was over 1
Acuff, so far, is here. Okani is not.  Stats seemed to indicate the reason
DU mbb is not grade school or JV basketball(no snide comments) Coaches can help but
in the end, the players have to the work and improve.
Okani really no choice but to move on. He was not improving or making meaningful
contributions.
As for Hima, he has to realize the realities of Div 1 bb. 
Coaches have to win and players have to produce.

3/17/2022 9:30 am  #5

phil95 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Can you please cool it with the inaccurate, hyperbolic statements?

I am a huge fan of Hima & his upside. Expressing your concern that Hima will hit the portal because Okani did doesn't require your crapping on Tre Williams.

By just about any measure, Tre Williams is already a good  A-10 player.  I would argue that from the beginning of the season to the the early end to his season, he was the team's best & most consistent player. He was an all-conference defensive player that lead his team in blocks, rebounds, & FG percentage, on winning teams & in a good conference, before he even set foot on The Bluff.

He averaged 10.8 points, 5.7 rebounds, an assist, & 2.08 blocks per game as a COVID-shirt sophomore. He had more double doubles than foul-outs while not having another serviceable "big" to play with for 20 of his 26 games. 

A-10 teams clearly game planned to limit his low post offense. He has 2 years of remaining eligibility. This is a player the program needs to return & thrive in a major, if modified, role.

While I will be thrilled if Hima puts up those numbers next season as a redshirt sophomore. I will also be shocked if that happens.

Sorry, it sounds as if I was directing my dissapoinntment at some posters, but it didn't come out the way I was thinking.  We need Williams, but not at the 5, but we need to find and keep players that can play center and have Williams in there at the 4 at the same time. Because, if we put that same team in next year without significant changes, we are going to have the same results. That includes coaching, really.

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/17/2022 9:46 am)

3/17/2022 12:14 pm  #6

With the portal being such a huge factor now, do you believe it would help to recruit more HS kids, and when they end up transferring in 1-2 years, DU at least knows them and they might know DU?   There are some big dudes entering the portal, 3-4* players, and we were never in on them, doubt he even tried due to their recruitment then, but going forward, like pitt is doing, recruit/offer a hundred players, one might end up being interested in a couple years, and remember DU.

3/17/2022 12:21 pm  #7

townsonkid wrote:

With the portal being such a huge factor now, do you believe it would help to recruit more HS kids, and when they end up transferring in 1-2 years, DU at least knows them and they might know DU?   There are some big dudes entering the portal, 3-4* players, and we were never in on them, doubt he even tried due to their recruitment then, but going forward, like pitt is doing, recruit/offer a hundred players, one might end up being interested in a couple years, and remember DU.

I think that's a good idea. Going forward, it would not surprise me that teams can be built by an aggressive approach to recruiting transfers. Va. Tech won the ACC with a good amount of transfers. These kids can come and go too easy nowadays.

3/18/2022 6:39 am  #8

What the transfer portal is doing IMHO that NCAA administrations didn’t fully consider is destroying recruiting high school players. There are several players locally that aren’t getting looks or who have recently generated a lot of interest but few FIRM offers.

3/23/2022 11:44 am  #9

The way stuff has gone with the portal has just killed CBB for me. I'll always support DU no matter what goes on. It's the school I wanted to go to even as a young child (and luckily they had a great program for my area of interest) but for CBB programs like this one it just makes things all the more hard to build. And how do you give tough love to a player who can say "screw it" or give a needed attitude adjustment to a player who doesn't think they're wrong? They can just up and leave easier than ever. Hell, if this system was in place under any of the other recent coaches, would DU even have been able to put a team on the court?

Of course, from recent lurking on the board it feels like many fans expect that DU should just be able to navigate this new normal flawlessly from the get-go. How, exactly?

I see where it can be good for many players but it also creates an environment where even more than ever the mid-majors are just farm teams for the power conferences. IMO the way to "fix" this issue was to find ways to penalize coaches who break contracts, not to give players equal freedom to what coaches have.

Last edited by Face (3/23/2022 11:45 am)

4/14/2022 7:58 pm  #10

4/28/2022 7:48 pm  #11

He chose University of Illinois Chicago

5/05/2022 12:25 pm  #12

Going to UIC

Board footera