Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2022 6:49 am  #1

Dukes in Final 5 for Thiero

Per Post Gazette (Mike White)   Thiero is down to five schools --  he will make his decision on Sunday (Mothers Day)  'The Five Schools are DU, Pitt, Kentucky, Xavier and Maryland.

(Monday is also his birthday)   I was hoping that perhaps there was some symbolism in the Mother's Day date with the fact that he had family ties with DU.

White closes the article by stating Xavier and Coach Miller got into the race late after Miller got the job but it's hard to see anyone beating out Kentucky.

I'm not a techie so I can't link the article

5/05/2022 8:15 am  #2

Re: Dukes in Final 5 for Thiero

Heck, I'm happy he kept us in his top 5 and that is out on social media.   Xavier and Maryland make most sense IMO, but that never seems to be accurate.   Kentucky and ties to Calipari certainly seem to add up.   KD should stay in touch, in case he wants to portal out after next year.

5/05/2022 9:08 am  #3

Purely conjecture...Pitt just signed a pair of 6'11" brothers (can you say Nelsons) from the Canary Islands.  Also, the idea that he had both The Dukes n Pitt in the top 5 makes me think he may want to stay close to home.  The sports writers from other papers have him going to Kentucky.  We will see...

5/05/2022 10:12 am  #4

Go to Kentucky and get exploited.Caliprari is a good coach, questionable character.College basketball makes all these coaches look like criminals with this portal transferring.I still think Duquesne is a better place to grow,get a education than Kentucky and develop as a human being. Kentucky ,its just basketball and winning
at any cost.Stay home.

5/05/2022 10:14 am  #5

https://twitter.com/adou_thiero/status/1520949143887396864?s=21&t=cMyz-y0r5PSGclCFJg242g

Saw something about UK has only had two 3 star recruits under Cal.   Didnt say who they were/how they did

Last edited by townsonkid (5/05/2022 10:24 am)

5/05/2022 4:56 pm  #6

For what it's worth, I'll be surprised if our roster isn't set at this point. Hoping that I'm wrong but that's my gut feeling. Would much rather have a descent big than Thiero at this point.

5/06/2022 7:05 am  #7

I see your point; but is the roster ever again going to be “set” in May?

5/06/2022 9:33 am  #8

That's also a valid point!  Who else would go to allow for any further newcomers? Aren't we at our 13 limit or are we? Our recruiting is like an Agatha Christie mystery thriller!

5/06/2022 12:32 pm  #9

Right, but it keeps us on the edge of our seats; makes things more interesting. 
I think there is still some flex in the roster with Easley and Rotroff still unsettled.

5/06/2022 1:18 pm  #10

Calipari ruins the kid's announcement.  However, I hopefully look for a center commitment soon. 

UK Basketball has silent pledge as Adou sets decision date, per John Calipari - A Sea Of Blue

5/06/2022 1:34 pm  #11

Easley is gone baby gone.   We are at 13 without him.

Calipari, classless as always.

Last edited by townsonkid (5/06/2022 1:34 pm)

5/06/2022 2:25 pm  #12

townsonkid wrote:

Is this your speculation?  It could be, but everything I have heard is that Kevin is coming back. Would appreciate a source if it is not speculation/

Also, I am not an expert on rules, but I would not be surprised to see more than 13 players on the roster. Rotroff gets his Covid year and because he is not a transfer maybe his scholarship doesn't count?

5/06/2022 6:00 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Is this your speculation?  It could be, but everything I have heard is that Kevin is coming back. Would appreciate a source if it is not speculation/

Also, I am not an expert on rules, but I would not be surprised to see more than 13 players on the roster. Rotroff gets his Covid year and because he is not a transfer maybe his scholarship doesn't count?

Need a center. Competent indeed. Keep it up CLK

5/07/2022 7:02 am  #14

Right,
I don’t think we need another guard this year; but an experienced “5” would balance the roster.  As we saw last year; playing small can be tough.

5/07/2022 12:07 pm  #15

townsonkid wrote:

It's NOT OFTEN that there is a situation where there is a player I "Would Like Sean Miller to Get"  THIS is one case I wouldn't mind seeing it happen ---  IF only to see the reaction coming out of Kentucky and/or Calipari.

Know Maryland seems out of the picture --  Heck would even be nice to see Thiero GO THERE!!!!

5/07/2022 12:22 pm  #16

Regarding Calipari
I was reading the Ky fan message board.
Fan base at KY not happy with Cal.
No SEC championships, no final four lost to St. Peter
Fans feel he has lost it  been at Ky too long
same old offense nothing new problem with the use of his players
He won't be fired but Theiro should think hard about going to KY
Coach under some heat in a high expectation program
If Theiro goes to KY he will be under some pressure to produce immediately for a coach
that can highly rated players as he pleases.

5/07/2022 12:28 pm  #17

CLK and Iron Duke I would like to see a decent big to finish off this class.  If we don't land one then I am guessing we'll see Rotroff in the middle to start or Barre or Dixon - basically playing 3 forwards.  I just don't want to see us having to play out of position again at the 5.  Tre needs to play the 4 and that is that.

5/07/2022 12:33 pm  #18

Econ...liked your post...
"Regarding (Calipari) Dambrot
I was reading the (Ky) DU fan message board.
Fan base at(KY) Duquesne not happy with (Cal.) Dambrot
No A10 championships, no final four...
Fans feel he has lost it ...same old offense nothing new problem with the use of his players
He won't be fired but Theiro should think hard about going to (KY) Duquesne
Coach under some heat..."

If Theiro goes to (KY) Duquesne he will be under some pressure to produce immediately...

5/07/2022 3:49 pm  #19

SkepticAl wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

It's NOT OFTEN that there is a situation where there is a player I "Would Like Sean Miller to Get"  THIS is one case I wouldn't mind seeing it happen ---  IF only to see the reaction coming out of Kentucky and/or Calipari.

Know Maryland seems out of the picture --  Heck would even be nice to see Thiero GO THERE!!!!

It’s not like he is a 5-star player; seriously; just not even important for Kentucky.

5/07/2022 3:57 pm  #20

He won’t start for any of the programs; or produce immediately.  He would need some time; and may still grow; so don’t except the kid to walk in and play.
Let’s not blow this situation out of proportion.  It’s nice that he listed Duquesne in his final 5; but he’ll probably turn up 2-3 years down the road; might be 6’7” and playing for none of these five teams!

5/08/2022 2:15 pm  #21

He signed with Kentucky today.

Board footera