Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2022 5:28 pm  #2

Re: Dukes Sign Grant

Can't help but like this one. Nice to have a couple of guards that have averaged over 15 a game against D1 competition. Be great if that could continue here.

5/01/2022 5:53 pm  #3

Impressed with what our backcourt will now look like.  What does our scholarship limit/roster now look like???  CLK? 

5/01/2022 5:59 pm  #4

PistolPete wrote:

Impressed with what our backcourt will now look like.  What does our scholarship limit/roster now look like???  CLK? 

Assuming Easley comes back we are one over.

5/01/2022 6:21 pm  #5

Congrats to the coaching staff!

They have put together a formidable backcourt loaded with impressive post-HS experience & proven D-1 production.

Questions:
-Which players on the roster are actually going to be on scholarship?
-With Brewer, Clark, & Grant on board, where does the Rozier signing fit in? Maybe he is not on scholarship?
-Technically, DU has until midnight on Tuesday to inform the NCAA if anyone else is going into the portal if that player wants to be eligible for the no sit-out waiver. Will there be any more Dukes portal entrances announced before then?
-Does today's commitment make it less likely that Easley is returning because of the scholarship math?
-Who is the presumptive starting PG?
-What is the over/under on the number of the currently expected players that will suit up opening night?
-

5/01/2022 6:30 pm  #6

PistolPete wrote:

Great pickup. BritannySpears see yeah. Get a competent center. Desperation is a good thing. Dambrot & staff picking up their game. Get a center.

5/01/2022 7:46 pm  #7

Thanks CLK, at which point does Easley have to decide what he is doing?  I still wonder about Barba, Rotroff and Gunn.  Barba is a total unknown, Rotroff has helped at times, but he is hurt a lot and I assume he has already graduated?  Dunn is an unknown as well, but is he still in our plans?  I agree with Iron Duke that another decent big would be welcome, especially if Rotroff isn't playing.  And finally, who knows if Rotroff could play as a graduate assistant or something like that.  All in all an impressive recruiting haul and as Iron Duke said, desperation can be a good thing.  Pistol out.

5/01/2022 7:57 pm  #8

I checked the official website and Gunn and Brewer are listed as "Graduate Students".  Does that mean anything in terms of scholarships or is it just that already have a college degree? 

5/01/2022 9:40 pm  #9

I would have to project Tre Williams as the starting center if he is fully recovered from his injury. This is not the ideal situation for me but I can't see any of the other freshman bigs holding down that position. Still hoping for a better alternative.

5/02/2022 4:39 am  #10

"Pistol Pete":  I checked the official website and Gunn and Brewer are listed as "Graduate Students".  Does that mean anything in terms of scholarships or is it just that already have a college degree? 

It means they have one year of eligibility remaining.

Last edited by grammudder (5/02/2022 4:41 am)

5/02/2022 8:03 am  #11

El Presidente wrote:

I would have to project Tre Williams as the starting center if he is fully recovered from his injury. This is not the ideal situation for me but I can't see any of the other freshman bigs holding down that position. Still hoping for a better alternative.

I agree Tre Williams NOT a center especially in the A10. Not to beat a dead horse but the loss of Hima hurts. Dukes need a rim protector, finisher & rebounder on the low blocks. Desperation or bust for Dambrot & staff.

5/02/2022 9:08 am  #12

Hima would have made a big difference for sure.   Gotta hope either of the rookie bigs can make an impact in the paint.

5/02/2022 3:10 pm  #13

Ironduke81 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Great pickup. BritannySpears see yeah. Get a competent center. Desperation is a good thing. Dambrot & staff picking up their game. Get a center.

Spell check: I think it's Britney.

5/02/2022 4:28 pm  #14

I think Grant will be the reason we take Richmond this year.

5/02/2022 6:11 pm  #15

WashPaRick wrote:

I think Grant will be the reason we take Richmond this year.

Awesome!

5/04/2022 9:42 pm  #16

Before we declare the Dukes the A10 champs, let's remember their success will be predicated on how well they play together - something sorely lacking last year.  With the incoming backcourt, the guard play should definitely improve.  However, no one player is going to turn this thing around.  Remember that Grant was honorable mention at guard last season.  But, Sincere Carry was 1st team and league MVP while Lamar Norman was a third team selection.  

5/07/2022 4:08 pm  #17

Dae Dae is #90 on Stadium’s Jeff Goodman list of the top transfers in college basketball — with each selection featuring a scouting breakdown from an anonymous hoops insider.

https://watchstadium.com/the-top-75-college-basketball-transfers-for-2022-23-04-14-2022/

5/07/2022 8:55 pm  #18

90 out of almost 1700 and he's rated ahead of Tre Mitchell. 

5/14/2022 5:46 pm  #19

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Dae Dae is #90 on Stadium’s Jeff Goodman list of the top transfers in college basketball — with each selection featuring a scouting breakdown from an anonymous hoops insider.

https://watchstadium.com/the-top-75-college-basketball-transfers-for-2022-23-04-14-2022/

A top 75 transfer list is crazy enough, but when that list has more than 90 names on it you can either laugh or cry at the lunacy of college sports right now.

I’m starting to wonder about Grant. I’m somewhat relieved to see him actually in a Duquesne jersey. Still no one has officially gone on the record about him yet and he hasn’t been added to the roster; both of which I would expect if he had signed rather than just committed. Normally I’d blame the typical off-season lack of updates, but Coach Joyce joined the program after Grant supposedly signed and goduquesne has an article on that.

I suspect the roster will be updated when Easley leaves because as far as I can tell we are at the limit with Easley.  Perhaps they don’t want to add Grant because it would even just temporarily put us over the limit. Now Easley declaring for the draft is only slightly less preposterous than me declaring my candidacy for president in 2024. I suspect what it really means is he’s looking to sign overseas. Of all the players from last year I thought Easley looked more displeased with Dambrot than anyone. So I really don’t expect him back. Still it is getting late into the offseason. The transfer portal deadline has passed and we are approaching the deadline to withdraw from the draft. Easley is still on the roster and Grant still isn’t.

Last edited by luckymcd (5/14/2022 6:08 pm)

5/14/2022 6:01 pm  #20

This post is not DUQUESNE specific, nor is it DAMBROT specific.
If the NCAA does not close the portal and reinstate a one year sit-out transfer ruling, the game of college basketball that we all grew up loving will be (already is?) destroyed.
I was of the impression that Covid was the driving force for the portal rule. Is it not normal enough today to un-portal?
I am aware that the power schools now control the NCAA and their rules committee, but unless the remaining smaller schools unite in protest, they (we) will continue to be feeder programs for the big boys to play the type of basketball we all grew up loving.
Until this type of scenario comes to fruition, every non-power school's blog site will read like our site. Transfers, who's to blame, why did so-and- so leave, it's the coaching staff....

What I say is not without holes and  exceptions but I firmly believe that until (if ever) this unrighteous portal is closed or regulated our past love of "the game" will fade.
The other side is bigger and stronger. All I ask for is a level field and a fair fight. It won't be so one-sided then.

If you have no will to change it, you have no right to criticize it.

Board footera