Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2022 11:24 am  #1

Eric Williams, Jr

Leaving Oregon. He entered the transfer portal. He is eligible for a 6th year. 

3/29/2022 12:19 pm  #2

Re: Eric Williams, Jr

I think he should transfer to Pitt!

3/29/2022 2:20 pm  #3

I would not be surprised to see Eric back in the A10; maybe Saint Louis??  Pure speculation on my part.

3/29/2022 2:39 pm  #4

FAM wrote:

I think he should transfer to Pitt!

maybe stay out there and see if Gonzaga needs him.  He should just go to Europe and start making money.

3/31/2022 10:14 pm  #5

Second transfer would require that he sit-out a year.

4/01/2022 9:35 am  #6

He may have to apply for a waiver, but I don't think he'd have too much trouble getting immediate eligibility if he wants to play college basketball for another year and there's a school that wants him. While he transferred before, he didn't use the one-time transfer exception before--he sat out a year in between Duquesne and Oregon. And he's a graduate student. At the end of the day, he's in the same situation as Baylee Steele was when he graduate-transferred to Duquesne after previously transferring the old-fashioned way from Eastern Michigan to Utah Valley. I know what the new rule says but it's hard for me to believe the NCAA would make him sit another year. 

4/01/2022 10:29 am  #7

DennisC91 wrote:

He may have to apply for a waiver, but I don't think he'd have too much trouble getting immediate eligibility if he wants to play college basketball for another year and there's a school that wants him. While he transferred before, he didn't use the one-time transfer exception before--he sat out a year in between Duquesne and Oregon. And he's a graduate student. At the end of the day, he's in the same situation as Baylee Steele was when he graduate-transferred to Duquesne after previously transferring the old-fashioned way from Eastern Michigan to Utah Valley. I know what the new rule says but it's hard for me to believe the NCAA would make him sit another year. 

Marcus didn't have to sit out this year at SMU either. He was a 2nd time transfer as well.  maybe 3 time actually, can't remember

4/01/2022 11:00 am  #8

Right, I thought about the "graduate transfer" rule after I posted.  As long as he received a degree from Oregon, he could be a grad transfer and not sit out another year.  I think the Oregon coach Altman would have to sign-off on the grad transfer, but probably just a formality.  

4/01/2022 11:00 am  #9

Did he graduate from Oregon?  If he did, doesnt he get a free pass to go to grad school someplace else?

4/04/2022 9:22 am  #10

Tydus Verhoeven has entered the transfer portal as well.

4/04/2022 9:39 am  #11

townsonkid wrote:

Did he graduate from Oregon?  If he did, doesnt he get a free pass to go to grad school someplace else?

Normally it is a formality; but I think the institution he is leaving still needs to sign-off.  I recall the case a few years ago when Martelli at St. Joe’s refused to sign - off on a grad transfer.  It is quite rare for that to happen.

4/04/2022 2:36 pm  #12

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1511014887102861319 

Receiving interest from the other school on Forbes Ave and SLU among many others. He did always play well in Chafietz huh?

4/18/2022 9:16 am  #13

Eric hiring agent and is turning pro. Has nice shoutout to Dukes coaching staff.
https://twitter.com/ericwilliams708/status/1515897267567345668?s=20&t=1evbtCGY3LlA3ioPErV3NQ

4/18/2022 2:10 pm  #14

Smart not to burn any bridges...you never know when someone will be calling for a reference!!!

4/19/2022 2:26 pm  #15

DennisC91 wrote:

Nick Kratholm (remember him) Just went into the Portal - from Niagara --  Played very little there this year

4/19/2022 3:44 pm  #16

SkepticAl wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Nick Kratholm (remember him) Just went into the Portal - from Niagara --  Played very little there this year

Crazy....  It's amazing how these redshirt and COVID years extend a player's eligibility.  Here's a crazy Kratholm trivia:  his high point game as a Duke was against Pitt - he had 6 points (2 for 3 from the 3 point line).  They were the only 3 pointers made in his entire college career at Duquesne and Niagara.

5/14/2022 11:27 am  #17

Eric is heading to San Diego. Kind of surprising to me; thought that he would have landed and remained in a top 6 conference. The West Coast Conference is certainly too heavy with the Zags, Saint Mary’s and recently USF.  Good luck to Eric.

5/15/2022 6:00 am  #18

He probably wanted to play where he could get more shots than at Oregon.  He was never a primary scoring threat in the half-court offense with the Ducks.

5/15/2022 8:09 am  #19

levon1975 wrote:

He probably wanted to play where he could get more shots than at Oregon. He was never a primary scoring threat in the half-court offense with the Ducks.

Good point, levon1975.  From watching Eric at Oregon, he molded himself into a team first player on the offensive side; in fact, I felt he was too passive at times, passing up open looks.

5/15/2022 10:26 am  #20

Yes,
There were times when they wouldn’t even swing the ball to his wing.  When he did get a chance for a three, it looked like he was afraid to take the shot.  It’s an interesting contrast in how he was viewed by the coaches at Duquesne vs. Oregon.

Board footera