Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2022 12:59 pm  #1

Jackie Johnson III Hits Transfer Portal

3/28/2022 1:07 pm  #2

Re: Jackie Johnson III Hits Transfer Portal

Not particularly good news. Wonder if this has been in the works for a while. Wish him well. I would imagine that it didn't appear likely that both he and Primo would be together next year. Really need someone to run the point and neither JJ nor Primo seemed suited to that task at least this past season.

3/28/2022 1:21 pm  #3

El Presidente wrote:

Not particularly good news. Wonder if this has been in the works for a while. Wish him well. I would imagine that it didn't appear likely that both he and Primo would be together next year. Really need someone to run the point and neither JJ nor Primo seemed suited to that task at least this past season.

(Stretches, yawns rolls over towards alarm clock)

ON RADIO:  Babe, I got you Babe!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/28/2022 1:48 pm  #4

Not very surprising with the many backcourt players the staff is talking to in the lead up to the spring signing period. You just knew the winds of change where blowing - they may not be finished with backcourt departures.

While Jackie is a talented offensive player he does not fit the coach Dambrot mold.

He struggles with man to man defense and defensive concepts in general and seemed unwilling to play the inside out game ( feed the post and then look for a potential 3 point shot ) that the coach espouses.

Hopefully , for Jackies sake , he finds a team that will allow him to play to his strengths.

3/28/2022 2:22 pm  #5

Figures!   One of the four players I actually wanted to stay are gone already.   #%&$!!!!  

Last edited by townsonkid (3/28/2022 2:23 pm)

3/28/2022 4:41 pm  #6

If we were only able to keep one I was leaning toward Primo but when Jackie's averaging 20 for Georgetown or Virginia Tech next year I might have second thoughts.

3/28/2022 5:08 pm  #7

IMO, key stat for both players
Spears had 91 assists and 62 turnovers
Johnson had 35 assist and 47  turnovers

3/28/2022 6:52 pm  #8

Wish JJ the best. Right  Coach right program he should  have a successful CB career. Not to call out current players BUT if the lower end is not told to leave we have a problem Houston.

3/28/2022 8:14 pm  #9

Econ69 wrote:

IMO, key stat for both players
Spears had 91 assists and 62 turnovers
Johnson had 35 assist and 47  turnovers

I wanted both guys to stay. 
I think these stats are just as relevant:
Spears    .367 FG%/.30 3PT%/.745 FT%./.39 points per minute/966 minutes
Johnson  .424 FG%/.373 3PT%/.776 FT%/.51 points per minute/580 minutes

This is the right move for JJ. KD has demonstrated no ability to utilize a player with JJ's formidable yet unorthodox talents.

As for defense, JJ's was better & more fundamentally sound by the end of this past season than TDM's was during his first senior season.

JJ's ability to get to the basket & finish/score far exceeded anything TDM ever had to offer. Both his FG & 3PT shooting as a freshman were noticeably better than TDM's in any of his 3 years as a Duke.

JJ had a very nice chemistry brewing with Rotroff & a 2-man game.

Finally, it is just like KD to lose a freshman that struck fear in the hearts of the opponents with his deep, streaky shooting & has the ability to put up double digit scoring totals in less than 20 minutes per game.

3/28/2022 9:55 pm  #10

Not too surprised. I think he fits a fast pace team better then a set half court KD style team. But it leaves some room to find a point guard in the off season. And this team needs a point guard.

3/29/2022 9:09 am  #11

I'll just say that this is very indicative of what we have seen from KD.  A player with huge upside made unhappy in the program.  If it was clear to me that he was being held to a completely different standard than Primo all season than it was most certainly clear to JJ.  All season he made the mistakes that a freshman makes while trying to adapt to the college game but he was benched endlessly while Primo was allowed to grow and learn on the court doing the same things.  I hope this means Primo is staying but I think KD will really regret his handling of JJ.  shooters like him are not a dime a dozen. 

3/29/2022 12:21 pm  #12

Look for 2 more transfers.

3/29/2022 9:59 pm  #13

We are at 2 now (Okani & JJ)  … I am thinking the over under is 7 transfers.

3/30/2022 7:26 am  #14

Box & One wrote:

We are at 2 now (Okani & JJ) … I am thinking the over under is 7 transfers.

I think it will be under 7

im guessing 3 more transfer

4/03/2022 8:37 am  #15

townsonkid wrote:

Figures!   One of the four players I actually wanted to stay are gone already.   #%&$!!!!  

l do believe that JJ could have developed into a solid player here and expect him to do so wherever he lands. It is a shame that an inordinate number of players are inclined to leave the program and is certainly becoming more of an issue with me. It's truly like Groundhog Day around here. I'm beginning to wonder how we will ever see the success that we all want if this yearly mass exodus continues. Hopefully with what we retain and can bring in this recruiting season, we can put together a solid team for next season. Need a big and a PG more than anything. Let's get it done!!

Last edited by El Presidente (4/03/2022 10:00 am)

4/09/2022 2:46 pm  #16

UNLV his next stop per his twitter.

Last edited by townsonkid (4/09/2022 2:46 pm)

4/09/2022 3:16 pm  #17

4/11/2022 2:39 pm  #18

Yet another gut punch. One of the few players I had hoped we would keep, but not surprised to see him go and figured he would for awhile given how his minutes and role on the team was handled throughout the season. 

I get that in this landscape guys will transfer every year, but seeing guys like Baker, Williams, and now Johnson transfer out recently after a falling out with Dambrot and ending up at a higher level when Dambrot acts like he can’t work with these guys is unacceptable to me. Losing Carry mid season is also not a good look, another guy who played great all year and almost led his team to a tourney bid.

The roster turnover rate has been insanely high, especially with the guys who are the better players on the roster every year, also unacceptable to me. Something has to change with this dynamic or this program will not be successful. Large enough sample size now to say maybe the players aren’t the only part of the equation here.

Not to mention starting out the year saying this was your best team ever and also saying your probably 6’6” PF is the best center you’ve ever had, and then going on to criticize your players week in and week out with no mention of these hyperbolic statements that he made.

I did not like how Johnson was handled at all. He was the most talented player we have got in a long long time. Sorry, you find a way to make it work with a guy like that, especially when your getting your ass kicked every night anyway.

UNLV, which has won a freaking national title, has made 4 Final Fours, 5 Elite Eights, 10 trips to the Sweet 16, and has made the tournament 6 times in the last 15 years jumped on Johnson right away. He was a super talented guy who would have been playing for a top 25 program had he been 2 inches taller, and he liked Duquesne enough a year ago to come here. How does it go so wrong for him in one season here? UNACCEPTABLE

Things need to change in a big way next year. I was a season ticket holder for years before moving to the west coast, and this season I stopped watching like 3-4 games into conference play. Something that seemed inconceivable to me even through the leanest years.

No more excuses. Bring in lots of talent this off-season and do a 180 next year on the court or say thanks for the memories. It feels as if we are at that point for me.

Last edited by Duques102 (4/11/2022 2:58 pm)

5/18/2022 7:04 pm  #19

Interesting article on Jackie Johnson from the Las Vegas Sun.

https://twitter.com/MikeGrimala/status/1526954556269072385?s=20&t=V3QBL2N8sDgD4xxph7C-xQ

5/19/2022 3:57 am  #20

CLK wrote:

https://twitter.com/MikeGrimala/status/1526954556269072385?s=20&t=V3QBL2N8sDgD4xxph7C-xQ

No mention of JJ’s detailed break-down assist stats per game.
Interesting to leave out that stat for a point guard, unless it is implied that JJ would not be a starter & operate as a combo PP/SG off the bench.

Curious if the author offers this observation based on his own analysis or from a source …

“… Johnson was a gunner last year, there’s no two ways about it. Some of that could be blamed on the situation at Duquesne, where chaos reigned and the team appeared to be largely uncoached. It doesn’t have to be a fatal flaw moving forward, but it’s an aspect of his game that Kruger and his staff may have to work with Johnson on improving.”

5/19/2022 12:33 pm  #21

Box & One wrote:

CLK wrote:

No mention of JJ’s detailed break-down assist stats per game.
Interesting to leave out that stat for a point guard, unless it is implied that JJ would not be a starter & operate as a combo PP/SG off the bench.

Curious if the author offers this observation based on his own analysis or from a source …

“… Johnson was a gunner last year, there’s no two ways about it. Some of that could be blamed on the situation at Duquesne, where chaos reigned and the team appeared to be largely uncoached. It doesn’t have to be a fatal flaw moving forward, but it’s an aspect of his game that Kruger and his staff may have to work with Johnson on improving.”

Overall, I think the reviewer was  straightforward in his evaluation of JJ; even the video clips of JJ showed his warts as well as his talent.
 It's interesting that Box and One quoted the same paragraph from the article that I had intended to quote. I was floored by the reviewer's comment about the Duquesne team..."where chaos reigned and the team appeared to be largely uncoached".
Rarely do we read a cynical comment about a coach and team in public media. Honestly, I'm not sure that I completely disagree with his assessment of last year's Duquesne team. A strong argument could be made in favor of his remarks during certain parts of last season.  There were not a lot of high points to promote. Yet in fairness, JJ had some responsibility for the trainwreck with his play as well. Just an unusual article.

5/19/2022 2:21 pm  #22

That quote caught my eye as well.  I can understand how, after watching as many videos as the writer did, concluded that: "chaos reigned and the team appeared to be largely uncoached".   Last season there was an unhealthy competition between Spears and Johnson. When they were both on the court they were not giving up the ball, especially to each other no matter what the coach told them to do.  They each wanted to outscore the other, no natter what the coach wanted. We all remember the monumental collapses of this team in crunch time watching them trying to be heroes taking bad shots.  Dambrot in many of his post game interviews addressed this, but was in a box because he ho other player that could run the point.  He tried Ayers but that didn't work. I am not saying that Dambrot was not ultimately responsible, because he recruited these guys, but as stated above these two guys bear some of the responsibility for the train wreck.  Having now transferred using up their free pass I suspect that they will become more coachable.  It will be interesting to see how they respond.  More interesting to me is how the Dukes will play next season with several seasoned transfers who can play the point and have impressive assists stats.  

5/19/2022 3:37 pm  #23

In my opinion, Jackie did have a few "fatal flaws" in his game that disrupted plans to have he and Primo share the PG position and perhaps allow them to also get some time at the 2.  One, he was unable to perform the most basic requirement of a PG; that being to bring the ball into the frontcourt and set up the offense.  He was being challenged at half-court and losing the ball far too often.  It became impossible to play him at the point; and at 5'9" he was a very small two-guard.  Secondly, he couldn't guard anyone, at the one or the two.  For a guy that is really quick to the hoop on offense, he really struggled all year trying to stay in front of his man on defense; putting the team in a "help" situation far too often.  

5/19/2022 8:28 pm  #24

Anybody onto recruiting a center?

5/19/2022 11:06 pm  #25

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Anybody onto recruiting a center?

I'm not onto recruiting a center but I most certainly am into recruiting a center. Asking for a good center has been incorporated into my nightly bedtime prayers.

Board footera