Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2022 4:08 pm  #26

Re: NBA & Easley updates?

CLK wrote:

...Williams needs to play with a bigger player like he did at Indiana State.  Williams is a skilled player who can score inside with good power moves but is overmatched with bigger centers in the A10.  Williams is better suited as a PF, playing together with a bigger player who can help defensively and rebounding, and can score both inside and shoot the three.  I am hopeful that KD is not done recruiting and will find such a player.  Think of a front court of Easley at the 3, Williams at the 4, and a new as mentioned center.

Bigger player? Who was that? Tre was a 6-7 starting center at ISU for two years. The only bigger player in the guard-heavy rotations ISU used was Jake LaRavia, a 6-8 power forward, who went on to bigger and better things at Wake Forest. There may have been bigger players on the roster but they were backups who played sparingly. You may be on to something though as I think Tre would be at his best with a power forward who's a better offensive player than he is and who's capable of scoring more points in the paint than he does. LaRavia was that kind of player at ISU and remains that kind of player at Wake Forest. Kevin Easley, a 6-7 power forward, was not that kind of player for the Dukes last year.

Remember, Williams, the MVC's leading shot-blocker and member of the conference's All-Defense First Team the year before, was brought to Duquesne with the promise that he would get to score more. And he did, but only by taking (and missing) a lot more shots. A kid who had attempted a grand total of 9 3-pointers in his first two college seasons, was given the green light to jack them up at Duquesne, with mostly disastrous results. And we watched him struggle to catch entry passes in the paint on a nightly basis. He also became a less effective rebounder at Duquesne than at ISU, especially on the defensive glass. I think he's fine as a center in the A10, but not if he's the second-best scoring option on the team, as he was last year. Use him in the right way that matches his actual skills, surround him with the right supporting cast and he'll be fine. Or keep wishing for the 6-9/6-10 blue-chip center to show up on campus some day and make everything magically fall into place. 

5/29/2022 5:20 pm  #27

DennisC91 wrote:

CLK wrote:

...Williams needs to play with a bigger player like he did at Indiana State.  Williams is a skilled player who can score inside with good power moves but is overmatched with bigger centers in the A10.  Williams is better suited as a PF, playing together with a bigger player who can help defensively and rebounding, and can score both inside and shoot the three.  I am hopeful that KD is not done recruiting and will find such a player.  Think of a front court of Easley at the 3, Williams at the 4, and a new as mentioned center.

Bigger player? Who was that? Tre was a 6-7 starting center at ISU for two years. The only bigger player in the guard-heavy rotations ISU used was Jake LaRavia, a 6-8 power forward, who went on to bigger and better things at Wake Forest. There may have been bigger players on the roster but they were backups who played sparingly. You may be on to something though as I think Tre would be at his best with a power forward who's a better offensive player than he is and who's capable of scoring more points in the paint than he does. LaRavia was that kind of player at ISU and remains that kind of player at Wake Forest. Kevin Easley, a 6-7 power forward, was not that kind of player for the Dukes last year.

Remember, Williams, the MVC's leading shot-blocker and member of the conference's All-Defense First Team the year before, was brought to Duquesne with the promise that he would get to score more. And he did, but only by taking (and missing) a lot more shots. A kid who had attempted a grand total of 9 3-pointers in his first two college seasons, was given the green light to jack them up at Duquesne, with mostly disastrous results. And we watched him struggle to catch entry passes in the paint on a nightly basis. He also became a less effective rebounder at Duquesne than at ISU, especially on the defensive glass. I think he's fine as a center in the A10, but not if he's the second-best scoring option on the team, as he was last year. Use him in the right way that matches his actual skills, surround him with the right supporting cast and he'll be fine. Or keep wishing for the 6-9/6-10 blue-chip center to show up on campus some day and make everything magically fall into place. 

Yes, LaRavia. I didn't remember his name.  He was listed at 6'9" on the Indiana State Roster.
Jake LaRavia - Basketball - Indiana State University Athletics (gosycamores.com)

LaRavia led the team in rebounds, Tre was second, and he was second in block shots, Tre was first.  That is the kind of player Tre needs to play with.  I don't care if he is classified as a guard, forward center or water boy.
2020-21 Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Indiana State University Athletics (gosycamores.com)

I am not worried about scholarship count, and I do not believe Dambrot is done recruiting.  Either by magic or hard recruiting I am hopeful we will see this fall into place.  

6/01/2022 11:16 am  #28

I heard the rims at the Coop actually cried when they heard Easley was coming back, they are in for another painful year.

6/01/2022 2:25 pm  #29

He was hard on the front rim; but mainly with his 3-pt attempts.  He has a nice mid-range jumper and the size to get that shot from the paint or foul-line extended. He puts it up softly with good arc.   His shot looks totally different when he moves beyond the arc.  It "flattens out" quite a bit into a line drive, low arc shot; very low margin for error with that trajectory.  He needs to live in that mid-range area, or do some major alteration to his 3-point shot. 

Board footera