Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2022 10:03 am  #1

6/13/2022 10:21 am  #2

Re: Joe Reece Commits To Duquesne

6/13/2022 11:27 am  #3

Interesting.   Didnt see that coming.   Helps up front, and if I remember him correctly from the game vs us this past season, he's a good player, and adds some force in the paint.

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio — Bowling Green State University men's basketball head coach Michael Huger announced that Myron Gordon and Joe Reece have been dismissed from the Falcons' program for a "failure to meet program standards."

Hope whatever that was about is in the past.   
Appears he has 2 years left(or maybe 3, IDK the covid rules anymore).

6/13/2022 11:33 am  #4

townsonkid wrote:

Interesting.   Didnt see that coming.   Helps up front, and if I remember him correctly from the game vs us this past season, he's a good player, and adds some force in the paint.

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio — Bowling Green State University men's basketball head coach Michael Huger announced that Myron Gordon and Joe Reece have been dismissed from the Falcons' program for a "failure to meet program standards."

Hope whatever that was about is in the past.   
Appears he has 2 years left(or maybe 3, IDK the covid rules anymore).

Townson:  Article mentioned he played 3 years at Old Dominion and 1 year at Bowling Green -  Since players get basically One Free Year - My understanding would be he has One Year of Eligibility left

6/13/2022 11:53 am  #5

Ahhh, ok, espn only had 2 seasons of stats and says he is a junior.    
Nonetheless, he seems like someone who should help stabalize the frontcourt this year.

Last edited by townsonkid (6/13/2022 1:10 pm)

6/13/2022 1:48 pm  #6

Looks like a solid pickup by Coach Dambrot. Assumes he plays center at 6”9 I wonder. BUT look at the Warriors with Looney 6”9 at center. Yes I know the obvious about that guy from Davidson but the new Dukes with solid guard play should be very competitive in the A10. Athletic team that can hopefully knock done 3s from all the starters. Indeed CLK “just what we needed”

6/13/2022 4:51 pm  #7

Great news! I almost stopped checking the board. Didn't see this coming. Now if the coaching staff can get all our recruits integrated and playing together, we should be quite competitive in the A-10. 

Last edited by El Presidente (6/13/2022 4:52 pm)

6/13/2022 7:17 pm  #8

This one is a mixed bag for me.
POSITIVES:
-A combination of size/athleticism/mobility/experience not currently on the roster
-Plays as a modern big & has experience doing so
-He should be better suited than most big players for KD's preference for blitzing opponent's high pick & rolls 
-Allows the first year bigs to both be brought along slowly (if necessary) & compete hard for meaningful minutes against experienced D-1 talent, athleticism, & size
-If he is a poor fit or not good enough, he'll be gone after one season with no drama or dashed hopes

NEGATIVES:
-His services were not particularly sought after
-Not known as a rim protector or the much coveted, true center I was hoping for
-3 schools in 5 years/kicked off his last team
-Unless portal guys are surefire starters and/or major contributors, I value them significantly less for having only 1 year of eligibility
-I have begun to believe that the perennial vagaries concerning scholarship count & roster spot numbers are bad for business in that during KD's time at DU a player or 2 each season is pitched as a "real" player but is actually on the roster as another walk-on that may be skilled enough or favored enough by the coaching staff  to take minutes away from true scholarship players. This might create one more reason for the scholarship player to jump ship for another D-1 program because his scholarship status might hold greater weight elsewhere.

6/13/2022 10:16 pm  #9

In essence we traded Leon Ayers for Joe Reece. Reece was dismissed from BG's team in late February. Ayers was nowhere to be found around the same time. Both had been at other schools where they performed well but ran into issues at their last school. Both appear to have talent and potentially could be a help at their new school. Without knowing what went on behind the scenes, it's hard to comment further. 

6/14/2022 8:15 am  #10

-I’m not good in math, but I think this puts them over the limit. 
- Taking a guy from two other schools that was dismissed from the last school tells me Dambrot is Really hungry to win… which is a good thing.
-

6/14/2022 8:42 am  #11

I thought this was not the type of player we were going to recruit. I believe Dambrot stated two years ago when he got rid of players, he was looking to upgrade the character of his players. Brining in kids that apparently were problems at other schools doesn’t fit with what he said two years ago. That being said, I hope it works out well for both parties.

6/14/2022 9:58 am  #12

FAM wrote:

- Taking a guy from two other schools that was dismissed from the last school tells me Dambrot is Really hungry to win… which is a good thing.
-

Isnt it 2 over the limit?   Unless there is someone, or two, that arent on scholarship that I didnt know about.  But thats typical Dambrot too.    Here is what the web site has, 17 players listed, 2 of which I believe arent on schollie.....

#NAMECL.POS
0Tevin BrewerGr.G
1Jimmy "Tre" Clark IIIJr.G
2David DixonFr.F
3Dae Dae GrantJr.G
4Tre WilliamsJr.F
5Halil BarreFr.F
14Matus HronskyFr.F 
20Joe ReeceSr.F
21Rodney "RJ" Gunn Jr.Gr.F
22Andy BarbaSo.F 
23Devin CarneyFr.G 
32Kareem RozierFr.G 
34Austin RotroffGr.F 
35Kevin Easley Jr.Jr.F
55Quincy McGriffSo.G

25Jaylen Cole-WilliamsSo.G 
30Jake HarperJr.G

6/14/2022 10:18 am  #13

Considering 3 players--Rotroff, Gunn, and Williams--may have unresolved injury issues, it's probably wise to add some insurance.

6/14/2022 12:16 pm  #14

townsonkid wrote:

FAM wrote:

-

Isnt it 2 over the limit?   Unless there is someone, or two, that arent on scholarship that I didnt know about.  But thats typical Dambrot too.    Here is what the web site has, 17 players listed, 2 of which I believe arent on schollie.....

#NAMECL.POS
0Tevin BrewerGr.G
1Jimmy "Tre" Clark IIIJr.G
2David DixonFr.F
3Dae Dae GrantJr.G
4Tre WilliamsJr.F
5Halil BarreFr.F
14Matus HronskyFr.F 
20Joe ReeceSr.F
21Rodney "RJ" Gunn Jr.Gr.F
22Andy BarbaSo.F 
23Devin CarneyFr.G 
32Kareem RozierFr.G 
34Austin RotroffGr.F 
35Kevin Easley Jr.Jr.F
55Quincy McGriffSo.G

25Jaylen Cole-WilliamsSo.G 
30Jake HarperJr.G

I should know this but does a red shirt count against your scholarship total?  If not (which is what I think) I see one of these guys being redshirted and and either Gunn or Rotroff not returning.

6/14/2022 2:07 pm  #15

Styles1229 wrote:

I should know this but does a red shirt count against your scholarship total?  If not (which is what I think) I see one of these guys being redshirted and and either Gunn or Rotroff not returning.

A redshirt player still counts against the 13 scholarships.
If one of these players is treated as a non-qualifier academically, he would not be on scholarship.  That player can't practice with the team or play in games; remember James Ellis.

6/14/2022 2:44 pm  #16

It appears we have 15 on scholarship.
Two more over limit.
I think Gunn and Barba are the two that will go
depending on injuries.
Too bad.  I think Gunn would have been interesting to watch play.

6/14/2022 4:06 pm  #17

Econ69, looking at the tweet from DUMBB yesterday it shows Gunn #21 in the workouts.  We have seen Dambrot work his scholarship magic before with more than 13 players appearing to be on scholarship.  Several years ago, I remember reading about a St. Joe grad student giving up his athletic scholarship and remaining on the team.  I have asked this question once before, but never received clarification if this is an option for graduate players with remaining eligibility today.  In any event with have a good Compliance Officer and if we have what "appears" to be more than 13 scholarship players on the roster when the season starts, we will be within the rules.

Duquesne Basketball on Twitter: "First day of summer practice ✔️ #GoDukes https://t.co/NX1AMHZiSW" / Twitter

6/14/2022 5:05 pm  #18

Thanks CLK
Amazing the intrigue and secrecy on recruiting.
Like a spy novel.

6/15/2022 9:33 am  #19

Its gonna be tough, again, for Dambrot to keep 15 players happy.   He created this, so let him figure it out. 

6/15/2022 11:00 am  #20

townsonkid wrote:

Its gonna be tough, again, for Dambrot to keep 15 players happy.   He created this, so let him figure it out. 

Basketball Darwinism - it's the new rule of thumb.  15 men enter the ring in June, 8 men leave with consistent minutes in December.  The other 7, if lucky, get a chance to do it somewhere else next year.  Survival of the basketball fittest.

I think we will have to learn to like it if we want to keep enjoying Mid Major college basketball

6/15/2022 11:19 am  #21

This is not the game I fell in love with in the late sixties. I myself am having a difficult time grasping the transfer portal and NIL and these buy games. I really don’t see how you can build a team with the portal and NLI. Plus the day of big schools coming to smaller schools is a thing of the past. It seems like a one way street for the top power five teams. When the TV contracts came out it was difficult for the mid majors, now with these changes it seems like it is next to impossible for a mid major to build a sustainable program.

6/15/2022 1:09 pm  #22

Wildwood13 wrote:

This is not the game I fell in love with in the late sixties. I myself am having a difficult time grasping the transfer portal and NIL and these buy games. I really don’t see how you can build a team with the portal and NLI. Plus the day of big schools coming to smaller schools is a thing of the past. It seems like a one way street for the top power five teams. When the TV contracts came out it was difficult for the mid majors, now with these changes it seems like it is next to impossible for a mid major to build a sustainable program.

totally agree.  You just have to catch lightening in a bottle.  Can't develop players anymore.  It's a shame too - I really like watching a player come on to campus as a freshman and watch him develop.  Derrick Coulter probably the last one we'll see.  I'm sure a player like Tyson Acuff would have contributed nicely as a freshman and sophomore in spots then by Junior/Senior year be a seasoned player we could all enjoy watching but in today's basketball he fell behind a couple guards on the depth chart and next thing you know he is out of town and probably won't get a degree anywhere.  A lot of these kids won't even be able to turn their basketball talent into a meaningful degree because they will be shown the door if they can't contribute right away.  Shameful.  Big money ruining yet another thing.  Who, besides the people at the very top cashing in the most, think this is a great system?  What is comical is that they'll throw a few scraps to the players via NILs and the players get villainized for ruining college basketball.  I know most of the posters on this board don't villainize the players but i bet that is the general consensus in America. Shameful

But I am optimistic.  I will abide.  Let's go Dukes!!! 

6/15/2022 8:08 pm  #23

Econ69 wrote:

It appears we have 15 on scholarship.
Two more over limit.
I think Gunn and Barba are the two that will go
depending on injuries.
Too bad.  I think Gunn would have been interesting to watch play.

Anyone know if you have to be on scholarship to get a NIL deal. If you can get one as a walk on that money can be used to pay for cost of schooling. My guess would be that only kids with schollies can get NIL deals. If I'm wrong maybe that's the reason we've got 15 kids.

Board footera