Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2022 9:11 am  #1

6/17/2022 9:29 am  #2

Re: I guess we have a mascot again

I wonder how many games he/she will show up for…

6/17/2022 9:32 am  #3

This will take a bit of getting used to but at my age so does everything!! GO DUKES. 

6/17/2022 10:46 am  #4

You can change the D, mascot, coach, players, uniforms and renovate the gym, but please produce a consistent winning team with an occasional NCAA bid.

6/17/2022 11:46 am  #5

Reminds me of the cowardly lion from OZ. Will Dorthy be singing the National Anthem?

6/17/2022 1:36 pm  #6

Better view of it here.  I’m not so sure about this…..

https://twitter.com/goduquesne/status/1537861064154660866?s=21&t=fWQm3zW18LSIWtWv4M3OvQ

6/17/2022 2:22 pm  #7

I hope they didn’t pay the marketing firm that came up with this ridiculous thing too much money.

6/17/2022 2:57 pm  #8

Very fierce. A lion should survive the woke mob unlike the greatest leader of this country George Washington & the Colonials. The Duke without a doubt will soon be a target for the woke mob. After all a Duke is very privileged.

6/17/2022 3:09 pm  #9

I hope there's a "summer" version of the new Duke mascot. We have to play in Tallahassee outdoors on August 27.

6/17/2022 4:02 pm  #10

Whoever creates this marketing content at/for DU is not good at their job. 

It doesn't matter whether you love, loathe, or are ambivalent about the lion. Teasing fans with, INTRODUCING....THE NEW......DUQUESNE DUKE before revealing a lion suit just misses the mark.

Also, the lion thing is completely lame. The mascot is either a Duke or it isn't.

6/17/2022 4:20 pm  #11

Definitely not a fan of this... Blue Lion.  I really really like the new D, and feel the complete opposite about the lion.  Honestly, they should have just reused that badass Duke from the 1970s and called it a day.  That said, I don't care a lick about the mascot and I guess if kids like him, then I'm fine with it.  All I care about is the Lion actually being at the game.

Last edited by Simms (6/17/2022 4:30 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

6/17/2022 9:36 pm  #12

It’s a reference to the seal, yeah? On the side of the ring. I’m good with it.

6/17/2022 11:13 pm  #13

I'm liking this less and less. Looks like someone couldn't make up their mind just what it should be. Think I like the old duke much better. Change is not always for the best and this might just be a prime example! However, winning is more important to me than anything!! I have a gut feeling this guy might not be around all that long.

6/18/2022 6:54 am  #14

They explained the reasoning for the Lion a year ago. I have no problem with it.  Change is good.

https://youtu.be/NCZW_rB0iH0

6/18/2022 9:44 am  #15

Styles1229 wrote:

They explained the reasoning for the Lion a year ago. I have no problem with it. Change is good.

Very true.  Plus, we haven't had a true mascot identity before so if you want to start fresh, now is the time I suppose.  It's funny because I love the Lion Logo, but just don't dig the mascot.  Hopefully that will change.in time, especially if we win.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

6/18/2022 12:29 pm  #16

Simms wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

They explained the reasoning for the Lion a year ago. I have no problem with it. Change is good.

Very true.  Plus, we haven't had a true mascot identity before so if you want to start fresh, now is the time I suppose.  It's funny because I love the Lion Logo, but just don't dig the mascot.  Hopefully that will change.in time, especially if we win.

Me too. I dig the logo but not the mascot. I am getting fickle in my old age.

6/18/2022 3:56 pm  #17

Maybe display the lion more inside the Coop.  Make it more visible and not needing to be looked up online why its a lion.  Its a mascot, not a nog deal.  Still better than a Billiken.

6/18/2022 8:39 pm  #18

I think we should borrow a real lion from the PGH zoo and put it in a cage and wheel it around the floor at half-time.

6/18/2022 8:42 pm  #19

FAM wrote:

I think we should borrow a real lion from the PGH zoo and put it in a cage and wheel it around the floor at half-time.

It might be more entertaining without the cage.

6/19/2022 8:14 am  #20

I understand the Lion thing, but is it not supposed to be a black lion like in the emblem? I think we need a new PR firm. The current outfit misses the mark here. Although, I will admit I really like the new “D.”

7/01/2022 8:42 am  #21

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Yeah, I remember when the Sheiks (God rest their souls) plucked the St. Joe's hawk's feathers. To actually have the hawk eaten would have been way cool. Sorry, I just can't understand a lion just as a couldn't understand a freakin' bear that they rolled out 6 or 7 years ago. He never showed up for games either.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

7/01/2022 9:58 am  #22

Our new mascot is designed to terrorize every child five years old and  younger that is brought to the Coop to "enjoy" the Dukes experience.

Upon second, third and fourth views of the mascot provided by Townson, I umistakenly realized that the mascot resembles a werewolf- huge fangs and all. WTF?

Who, beyond the most advid Dukes' graduate, is aware of a lion on the Duquesne shield? Is the public perception not the Duquesne Dukes and not the Duquesne Lions/werewolves?

I empathize with our young Dukes basketball fans in being tasked with explaining why there is a lion running around the Coop during future games.

This adve-gard design agency, which someone in administration chose while enjoying a big, fat, self rolled doobie, surely could have come up with some improved version of a duke, or aristocratic figure?

I am quite comfortable in waiting  for whatever future obscure ancillary designs they push past administration.  Perhaps a cheeta running down an opposing player on a tee-shirt?

I thank the Lord I am not a young fan spending years justifying this current abnombination of a mascot representing the Duquesne Dukes.

7/02/2022 7:08 am  #23

scduke wrote:

I hope there's a "summer" version of the new Duke mascot. We have to play in Tallahassee outdoors on August 27.

Speaking of the Florida State game first game on ACC network. This is a huge exposure for the Dukes since many college football fans will be starving for college football. You would think that the  Duquesne Athletic Department will have a patch on the uniforms honoring Coach Dan McCann. If no DM on uniforms the leadership at Duquesne is truly clueless.

7/02/2022 8:08 pm  #24

KenOTR73 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Yeah, I remember when the Sheiks (God rest their souls) plucked the St. Joe's hawk's feathers. To actually have the hawk eaten would have been way cool. Sorry, I just can't understand a lion just as a couldn't understand a freakin' bear that they rolled out 6 or 7 years ago. He never showed up for games either.

"The Hawk" actually had his feathers plucked TWICE --  Once was the time mentioned above - at the next home game at the Civic Arena the Sheiks were collecting from the fans because we were told they had to pay for a new costume.  The second one happened years later at Palumbo Center -  Don't know "who claimed credit"

7/05/2022 8:54 am  #25

The lion is odd, but what makes it worse is that the Duke could be a great mascot with the right costume.   Doesnt have to be a rough tough Steely McBeam kinda guy, needs to be something cool, fun, and someone willing to put in effort.  Its like if Notre Dame had an Irish setter as their mascot.   

Board footera