Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2022 8:46 am  #1

Dambrot Believes The Dukes Will Be Competitive

Dambrot Believes Duquesne Will Be Competitive - Pittsburgh Sports Now

I am really pulling for Coach Dambrot. One of the reasons KD came to Duquesne was to be near his father Sid in his final days, and to have his dad see DU come back to the prominence that Sid helped to build.  The first three years he seemed well on his way winning 11 league games, the most ever for DU.  Then Covid hit, players left, and personal tragedy with the loss of his father who would never see his dream come true. I am hoping that this year KD and the Dukes will write one of the great come back stories and shock the world.  Go Dukes!

10/14/2022 10:23 am  #2

Re: Dambrot Believes The Dukes Will Be Competitive

Thanks, CLK. I’m with you in pulling for Coach Dambrot to get this program once again heading in the right direction.

In case anyone missed it, here’s a link to Zac’s full interview with KD that was the basis for the article.
https://youtu.be/ksQS-e0DffA

10/14/2022 1:30 pm  #3

I'm also pulling for Coach. He is well regarded in coaching circles. For example, when Lamont Paris got hired at South Carolina, he spent 5 minutes of a 15-minute interview (before a baseball game) talking about how much he learned from Keith Dambrot..I think he realizes 6 wins is very subpar by his own standards. 

10/17/2022 11:50 am  #4

Had the pleasure of joining Bruce Atkins again for my annual sneak peek at the Dukes.. (Missed last year because of major surgery!)  Here are some random thoughts after watching a 2 hour practice that included a scrimmage among the players.  
THE FRESHMAN CLASS--Kareem Rozier (#32) is a real deal.  Matus Hronsky (#14) can light it up from three territory and can handle the rock as a swing forward.  Halil Barre (#5) and David Dixon (#2) will get substantial playing time at the forward and center spots. (4 and 5)  Did not see enough of  Devin Carney to comment.  

THE TRANSFERS--Dae Dae Grant (# 3) is almost a clone of Sincere Carry with a little more control element about his total game. He can drive, stop on a dime and shoot the pull up jumper from the elbows.  Good passer.  He will start in my opinion.  Tre Clark (#1)  is a legit guard for the Dukes.  Good passer and good three point threat.  Joe Reese (#20)  is a sleeper just like kid who is now playing in Poland, Bailey Steele.  Does a lot of little things well off the blocks.  Puts the ball in the hoop.  He is a strong candidate to start in my opinion.  If not a starter, first man off the bench.  Did not see enough of McGriff (#55) to comment. 

THE INJURED--Talked with Tevin Brewer.  He is very optimistic about his current recovery.  Is seeing his Doc today and expects to get practice clearance to some level.  Did not see enough of Barba (#22) to comment.

THE HOLDOVERS--RJ Gunn (#21)  is also a real deal.  I see why he scored as well as he did at Lenoir Ryhne.  Is strong as an ox.  He will start in my opinion.  Tre Williams (#4) looks great.  Lost about 25 lbs and  moves well.  Seems to have the same skill set that made him a starter.  He will start again in my opinion.  Kevin Easley (#35)  will definitely start in my opinion.  Austin Rotroff (#34) looks fluid. Seems to have knocked off the rust that plagued him with his history of injury.  Will help a lot in differing roles as a 4 or 5.  Don't know who a second guard would be because of injury to Brewer and because the bigger kids are so versatile.  E.G., Matus Hronsky played a lot of two guard in the scrimmage. As did Easley.  My guess is because of his past history Tevin Brewer will be the second guard with Tre Clark a close second to him.  I am not as negative as some predictions and I have always been an admirer of Ken Pom's   .projections.  

That is all I know from today's session.

10/17/2022 12:19 pm  #5

Very well put together comments.  I disagree on two fronts but practices and game experience will win out so they are only mild disagreements.  First, I do not think Gunn will start but I would be fine if he did.  I just think Reece will get the nod.  Second, I see somewhat limited minutes for Barre and Dixon simply because of depth. 
Your opinions are probably superior to mine and I basically can see where you could be right on all fronts. 
Sorry you did not see much of McGriff - he is my dark horse. 
Thanks for a great post!

10/17/2022 12:58 pm  #6

Thanks Grammy.  Great to get your firsthand comments of the practice.  Hope you are fully recovered from your surgery.  

10/17/2022 3:02 pm  #7

Thanks for the information on practice gram!  It looks like it could be very competitive at the 3,4,and 5 positions!  I suppose Grant plays the point until Brewer is back? Who would be the backup at PG in the interim?  It seems like the only position where they don't have depth.  
Were Carney and McGriff injured or just not in the mix? 

10/17/2022 3:54 pm  #8

levon1975 wrote:

Thanks for the information on practice gram!  It looks like it could be very competitive at the 3,4,and 5 positions!  I suppose Grant plays the point until Brewer is back? Who would be the backup at PG in the interim?  It seems like the only position where they don't have depth.  
Were Carney and McGriff injured or just not in the mix? 

Clark played the point at VCU, and McGriff I believe played the point.

10/17/2022 4:31 pm  #9

My comments were pretty much based on highlights of things I saw that kinda jumped out at me.  I did not see Carney or McGriff do anything outstanding that qualified either of them to be "in the mix".  I agree with CLK that Clark would most likely be the PG while Brewer is mending.  I did not get the impression from talking with Tevin Brewer that he is a long-term no go.  By the way, do not discount Kareem Rozier as a PG to get substantial minutes.  Coach D really likes him.  

Last edited by grammudder (10/17/2022 4:34 pm)

10/18/2022 10:20 am  #10

Thank-you gentlemen for the information and opinions.  
It's good to hear that Rozier looks the part as a PG candidate.  From what I recall from his highlights, he does have more of a PG mentality than our two freshmen guards last season.  It would be a big jump for him; nonetheless,  but not unprecedented.  

Board footera